Has anything really changed at OBD?

gjv001

One interesting point directly from Nix' mouth on the coaching hire was (paraphrasing), "We'll narrow the list down. No more than 3 candidates, that we'd then take to Mr. Wilson." Does that sound like a huge shake-up in the power structure?

We know Smithers, even as COO/GM, could not fire the HC. And that was 6 weeks ago. Now, a "real football" GM is introduced and there's still talk that RW has say on the HC? I won't believe there's a shake-up coming until some moves are made, like getting rid of Modrak, Guy, and Overdorf. They need to slam the door on the TD years and trust someone they hire to get it right this time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We know Smithers, even as COO/GM, could not fire the HC. And that was 6 weeks ago. Now, a "real football" GM is introduced and there's still talk that RW has say on the HC? I won't believe there's a shake-up coming until some moves are made, like getting rid of Modrak, Guy, and Overdorf. They need to slam the door on the TD years and trust someone they hire to get it right this time.

while I realize nobody knows the real answer for sure, I'm willing to bet some serious money that most or all NFL owners get final say over the coaching hire...

while I realize nobody knows the real answer for sure, I'm willing to bet some serious money that most or all NFL owners get final say over the coaching hire...

I'm reading Brian Billick's latest book, More than A Game, and he admits that's true. However, an owner isn't the person who understands what a coach does, and if he hires a GM to hire the coach, should take the GM's advice. Of course there are financial considerations, but overall the owner cannot micromanage the decision.

I'm reading Brian Billick's latest book, More than A Game, and he admits that's true. However, an owner isn't the person who understands what a coach does, and if he hires a GM to hire the coach, should take the GM's advice. Of course there are financial considerations, but overall the owner cannot micromanage the decision.

And how do we not know that whomever is hired, will not have been done so on the advice of Nix? We won't. But, I assure you many will still contend that Ralph has micromanaged the situation to save money regardless of the hire.

I believe what was meant was everyone now reports to Brandon. Russ ONLY reports to Ralph.

PTR

so what's different now?

the front office did not report to Brandon as the COO?

who else reported to Ralph directly before that is now reporting under Brandon?

so what's different now?

What's different is that Brandon won't be involved in the football side of things.

I believe what was meant was everyone now reports to Brandon. Russ ONLY reports to Ralph.

PTR

Therein lies my only concern. Russ and Nix should have been made equals, not boss-subordinate, because in the end the beancounter still has say over who gets drafted/hired/cut/fired.

One interesting point directly from Nix' mouth on the coaching hire was (paraphrasing), "We'll narrow the list down. No more than 3 candidates, that we'd then take to Mr. Wilson." Does that sound like a huge shake-up in the power structure?

Well...RW IS still the owner and as such has to approve any reccomendation brought before him.

Nothing weird here.

Therein lies my only concern. Russ and Nix should have been made equals, not boss-subordinate, because in the end the beancounter still has say over who gets drafted/hired/cut/fired.

That's silly. The last thing you want is an organization where you don't know who is in charge. That's basically what you just had with Jauron/Modrak/Wilson/etc. running things by committee. You have to wake up and realize Brandon is not the enemy here. You want Brandon in charge because the guy is a good manager. He will set a budget and let Nix do his job. That is the way you do it.

The thing Bills fans have to fear is Ralph Wilson getting the urge to play with his football team. In fact Brandon's biggest role as the Bills #2 is keeping Ralph in check. But as well all know, Ralph owns the team and he will do what he wants.

PTR

so what's different now?

No, they did not answer to Brandon before. Brandon was in charge of sales and marketing and that's it. Everyone answered to Ralph.

PTR

As far as the coaching decision, I can't think of a better way to present the options to Ralph. Do your homework, narrow it down to the 3 best candidates, bring it to Ralph with your recommendations, let him interview them, and do your best to convince him to support your choice.

Are you trying to insinuate that, because they didn't really do diligence on the GM choice, means picking the coach will be more of the same? Maybe, but not as a result of the process he described.

I'm not insinuating anything. I presented what Nix said on the process of hiring the next coach and asked a question if it sounded like a "big change" or not.

Are you asking for my opinion? All I can infer for myself is if Nix is going to do the interviews and then recommend a slate of options to the old man for final approval, then it is patently obvious who is making the final thumbs up or down decision.

Now some will probably try to construe that as "being negative", but it isn't. It's fairly typical of big management hirings that the entire management team sign off all the way up to the top. I really have zero problem with it, myself. But, to the original question, I don't think it is a huge change from how things have worked at OBD in the past.

The thing Bills fans have to fear is Ralph Wilson getting the urge to play with his football team. In fact Brandon's biggest role as the Bills #2 is keeping Ralph in check. But as well all know, Ralph owns the team and he will do what he wants.

The bigger thing to fear is that the majority of the "meddling/cheap owner" decisions have been decisions that Brandon has framed and presented to Ralph as "what we should do here". Brandon is now, both in title as well as in effect, overseeing the entire billion dollar company for Ralph, who sits on the other end of a phone line in Detroit waiting to hear good news.

The bigger thing to fear is that the majority of the "meddling/cheap owner" decisions have been decisions that Brandon has framed and presented to Ralph as "what we should do here". Brandon is now, both in title as well as in effect, overseeing the entire billion dollar company for Ralph, who sits on the other end of a phone line in Detroit waiting to hear good news.

How was Brandon not empowered to do that as COO before. Usually a COO reports to either the President of the Company or to the CEO. Who did Brandon report to on December 30? How has his job changed, other than now he has a new GM reporting to him? Plus, will the new GM handle all the GM duties? That part hasn't been addressed yet.

Nix said they would bring 3 names to Ralph and then make a decesion in the press conference.....

How was Brandon not empowered to do that as COO before. Usually a COO reports to either the President of the Company or to the CEO. Who did Brandon report to on December 30? How has his job changed, other than now he has a new GM reporting to him? Plus, will the new GM handle all the GM duties? That part hasn't been addressed yet.

My point is precisely that this "shake up" did not change the power structure of Wilson and Brandon (Burns and Smithers) -- it was a mere titular change. Brandon is and was Ralph's right-hand man.

Some people are speculating that the introduction of a new GM as "proof" that the "meddling" and "cheap decisions" of Burns and Smithers will suddenly cease and desist. I don't think so, nor does it look like a big change other than to solidify that Brandon will be THE man that everyone at OBD reports to.

Ralph did say Nix was in charge of all "the football stuff" and not the business side of things. The obvious question there: which side do contracts fall under, the bean counter or football? So, Nix does not hold the same position Donahoe held as President/GM.

No. The mere thought that Guy was a finalist for the GM job frightens me, though.

right.... we all know RW interviewed him like this "Russ, i want Buddy to run this show." well, mr. wilson legally you need to interview someone who is a minority. "OK Russ, send in Guy."

end of story. ill stake $100 it went down like this....