Guess who doesn't like the move?

RayFinkle

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sullivan hates it....how about Schoop and the Bulldog? We can go for the trifecta.....if all 3 of those geniuses hate the move, it's virtually guaranteed to be a success

How come that didn't work when they hated the Levy hiring or the Brandon promotion to GM duties?

My first reaction was to kinda laugh, and I said inside same ole typical Bills move..After a few hrs of taking it in and thinking about it we coulda done a whole lot worse. At the very least we have a man in charge of football operations with the knowledge of how a football player should look and play. After the pawst 10 yrs I was beginning to wonder. I like how he stated he wants a football coach to surround himself with good teachers. Lets face it folks we werent gonna get a Big name GM.. They rarely move from team to team and if you are a good GM chances are the team isnt gonna let you go..At the very least he comes from the Polian mindset and maybe he emulates him..We couldve hired John Guy which is who I thought in the end Ralph was gonna give the job to..Thank God he didnt.

Trust your first instinct. This is a typical Bills move. Nix is a quality football guy, but so was Marv. Old and semi-retired hasn't worked very well with Levy or Modrak. And yes, we know they can do worse. Brandon was a football-side disaster. Guy has been disgusting. He should have been fired when Donahoe was here. Guy might be the worst man at his job in Bills management history.

What Jerry totally misses the point on is that if the Bills want to make a run at Cowher they needed to have the GM position settled. If they waited to interview outside candidates the season would be over and Tampa or Carolina would make their move. Right now I imagine the Bills are making the full court press on Cowher or maybe Shottsy.

Jerry Sullivan is a douchenozzle extraordinaire.

PTR

Jerry's consistent griping about Buffalo making the playoffs, winning against the Patriots, and keeping a great roster stocked with superior talent is getting old.

Sure, there's a lot to get excited about. Forgive Jerry for not trusting Bills management to do the right thing.

Jerry Sullivan is just like a talk radio guy. Its all schtick. People that complain about him are reading his stuff, thats why he has a job.

"if there were more than one newspaper in buffalo ..."

Ahh, that old chestnut. List for me please the cities that have more than one paper, not counting megalopolises such as Los Angeles, New York and Chicago.

I can wait ...

I'm not the biggest Sully backer around, but he's paid to stir the pot. It would appear the pot has been stirred.

I wouldn't mind if The Buffalo News went under. From a sports perspective, other than an odd article by Gaughan, Vogl or Wilson, there's rarely anything of substance.

Does anyone think that any respected newspaper would be beating down the doors of dipshits like Sullivan and Gleason?

Sullivan was spot on as usual, pointing out that the Bills more often than not go for the low hanging fruit.

"Russ and I scanned a list of possible candidates," Wilson said. "We didn't know them. I didn't know them. I don't think Russ did. We narrowed it down to two candidates for the job of general manager of football, two in-house candidates."

So now they'll settle for some coach that Wilson knows? That certainly narrows the list. A new decade, same as the old one. :censored:

Sullivan was spot on as usual, pointing out that the Bills more often than not go for the low hanging fruit.

"Russ and I scanned a list of possible candidates," Wilson said. "We didn't know them. I didn't know them. I don't think Russ did. We narrowed it down to two candidates for the job of general manager of football, two in-house candidates."

So now they'll settle for some coach that Wilson knows? That certainly narrows the list. A new decade, same as the old one. :censored:

exactly correct...

we're looking for a new GM and headcoach, not playmates for Ralphie in the rumpus room

I'm not going to go on record either way on the Buddy Nix hiring. I'll reserve judgment until he makes his head coaching decision and fires Guy and Modrak. Then and only then will we find out if this move was the same old window dressing the Bills have been prone to do in the last several years or a great move.

So far, I like what I hear, but that can all change quickly if we hire someone like Haslett and don't do a major house cleaning, clearing out all the little midgets on the roster.

I do agree that Sullivan was accurate in this piece regarding his facts... but he does have a tendency to spin things in a negative way.

I think that Nix may turn out OK, despite the fact I agree with Sullivan that Wilson didn't go about this the right way. How can you possibly say "we looked at a list of candidates and didn't know them"? Huh? Maybe that's because you're not a "football guy" Ralph. I have a brilliant idea for you... maybe ASK someone who DOES know those candidates. The sign of a TERRIBLE leader is one who thinks he knows it all and doesn't ask questions.

And is anyone else absolutely FURIOUS, as I am, that the bonehead who presided over the Toronto-fiasco and a decade of terrible decisions was PROMOTED to CEO for his efforts. Sabres fans give Darcy Regier and Larry Quinn a hard time. Brandon isn't even in their league (and that's saying something).

Trust your first instinct. This is a typical Bills move. Nix is a quality football guy, but so was Marv. Old and semi-retired hasn't worked very well with Levy or Modrak. And yes, we know they can do worse. Brandon was a football-side disaster. Guy has been disgusting. He should have been fired when Donahoe was here. Guy might be the worst man at his job in Bills management history.

Ok Marv was a HC, never had 30 years of scouting/assistant GM experience like Nix. Levy came in to hire the HC for Ralph. He might have had some kind of role in supervising picks - but he wasnt evaluating and making picks. Don't compare the two. I mostly agree with your other points.

What Jerry totally misses the point on is that if the Bills want to make a run at Cowher they needed to have the GM position settled. If they waited to interview outside candidates the season would be over and Tampa or Carolina would make their move. Right now I imagine the Bills are making the full court press on Cowher or maybe Shottsy.

Jerry Sullivan is a douchenozzle extraordinaire.

PTR

No problem with Nix, but IMO this is the first step in bringing this organization up to speed. Making a run for Cowher would make sense, and make him assistant GM along with head coach with the idea of grooming him into the GM positon full time in 3-4 years (then Cowher picks the next HC) when age and workload might catch up to a guy in his mid-70's. Putting a succession plan from full time coach to full time GM in place could be a real selling point and something other potential suitors may not be in a position to do at the moment. Letting Modrak and Guy go next would be progess too.

Not saying this is the plan, rather what I'd like to see unfold in the next couple weeks....

of course he was...but buffalo fans love having smoke blownu p their asses... so therefore sullivan is a terrible writer... :censored:

Sullivan conveniently forgets his Bills history..but he's not from here and it shows....

The Bills did hire from within (and from piss poor organization) when they hired BILL POLIAN

The Bills did hire from within when they hired JOHN BUTLER

If Butler had stayed and passed they likely would have hired from within again in AJ Smith

The Bills hired from outside when they blundered and hired Tom Donahoe

So please save the idiotic arguments about hiring from within or outside.....especially when Buddy Nix is for all intents and purposes an outside hire who happened to come on board 10 months early

I suppose Sullivan would have been happier if Nix didnt come here 10 months earlier and help us with our draft..then he would have been an "outside" hire and all ok

Again respected enough that no one gave him a GM gig. Oh and drafting? He just helped draft Maybin...

And in a couple years, the Bills could have a great pass rusher on the roster. Give the Maybin bashing a rest, he was never supposed to just step in and dominate in his first season, especially after he missed sll of training camp. Not all players step in during their first year and make a difference. I have said it many times before, Fans of the Texans thought the team made a mistake taking Mario Williams 1st overall over Reggie Bush, its too bad the team didn't listen to the fans :censored: . So what about taking Maybin, the rest of the draft brought in Levitre, Wood and PROBOWLER Jairius Byrd. The Bills should have fired Nix instead of giving him the GM position cause he took Maybin :thumbsup:

Sullivan conveniently forgets his Bills history..but he's not from here and it shows....

The Bills did hire from within (and from piss poor organization) when they hired BILL POLIAN

The Bills did hire from within when they hired JOHN BUTLER

If Butler had stayed and passed they likely would have hired from within again in AJ Smith

The Bills hired from outside when they blundered and hired Tom Donahoe

So please save the idiotic arguments about hiring from within or outside.....especially when Buddy Nix is for all intents and purposes an outside hire who happened to come on board 10 months early

I suppose Sullivan would have been happier if Nix didnt come here 10 months earlier and help us with our draft..then he would have been an "outside" hire and all ok

you completely missed the point. this hire was the furthest thing possible from the "exhaustive" search we were promised!

"we made a list, but we didn't really know those guys very well so we interviewed in house..."

are you effing kidding me? obviously, what he says and what he's cognitively willing and able to accomplish are very different things at this point. but jesus christ...who the hell does he think he's fooling? he clearly has no idea what he's doing any more and that reflects very poorly on the entire organization. and if you don't think that raises a huge red flag for a coach like cowher, you're hopelessly naive.

i hope this turns out to be another one ralph's accidental good hires, but until i see the results, i remain dubious.

I'm not going to go on record either way on the Buddy Nix hiring. I'll reserve judgment until he makes his head coaching decision and fires Guy and Modrak. Then and only then will we find out if this move was the same old window dressing the Bills have been prone to do in the last several years or a great move.

So far, I like what I hear, but that can all change quickly if we hire someone like Haslett and don't do a major house cleaning clearing out all little midgets on the roster.

Agree 100%, another grear b.harami98 post! :(

you completely missed the point. this hire was the furthest thing possible from the "exhaustive" search we were promised!

"we made a list, but we didn't really know those guys very well so we interviewed in house..."

are you effing kidding me? obviously, what he says and what he's cognitively willing and able to accomplish are very different things at this point. but jesus christ...who the hell does he think he's fooling? he clearly has no idea what he's doing any more and that reflects very poorly on the entire organization. and if you don't think that raises a huge red flag for a coach like cowher, you're hopelessly naive.

i hope this turns out to be another one ralph's accidental good hires, but until i see the results, i remain dubious.

Nice post. That quote... :(

Exactly what do you think we brought Buddy Nix in for a year ago??? He was the runner up for the GM job in Atlanta....you think he came in here to simply scout ?????

Nix was brought in similar to when we brought in Wade late in Marvs tenure.....Nix came here with an eye on getting the GM job........ofcourse him coming here 10 months ago flies totally under the radar screen of Sully and any of these local yokals