Bills press conference @2:30-Nix confirmed as new GM

zdro22

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be true, but WHY THE &%$# did they interview John Guy? What are they going to announce...that they searched far and wide to look for a GM? Looks like they didn't even get out the front door of OBD. :bag::P:lol:

You should probably read the last few posts.

I'm just asking, does he? Seems that everyone here all of a sudden has AJ just sitting around in SD watching Nix run the org. Be at least a little more objective on the situation.

He was the director of pro and college scouting. I'm assuming AJ Smith doesn't do too many scouting trips. He's the guy who brought the players to the table that Smith got to choose on. He proverbially shopped for the groceries, Smith paid for them.

And how soon we forget that we heard the same exact story when Modrak was hired, helped build the Eagles, well-respected and experienced, etc. etc. The skepticism is deserved.

Seriously. I mean, my god already with an annointment. I was gonna mention Modrak along the same lines. If you actually look at it objectively......you have two of the same kind of credentialed guys there.

You don't understand something quite simple:

70 year old men don't get their first GM gig in the NFL. It doesn't happen. If by the age of 70 with many years in the NFL a guy hasn't gotten the top football job for a NFL team, there's a pretty darn good reason why.

Some people a #1's, some are #2's, and most aren't even that. Buddy has a fine track record, but there no coincidence that he wasn't hired before as GM.

Besides, how long is he going to be around? Most men (Ron Wolf, et al) are retired by this point. They found someone who works cheap, won't stand up to Littman/Ralph, and is just happy to have the job.

yeah that's my concern....ralph is just looking for another elderly "yes-man." i suppose we can't officially declare the hire a disater until he hires coaches, but i'm not excited.

He was the director of pro and college scouting. I'm assuming AJ Smith doesn't do too many scouting trips. He's the guy who brought the players to the table that Smith got to choose on. He proverbially shopped for the groceries, Smith paid for them.

Wasn't that what Modrak did in Philly? How'd that work out in Buffalo? And if you think AJ Smith had that little say in SD, you are mistaken. Nix was involved, no doubt, but Smith has his heavy hands all over SD's org. He fired a coach that was 14-2, so I think it's safe to assume he still deals heavily in player personnel.

Ding Ding Ding! I love being part of Bills Nation but we're filled with a bunch of whiney bitches...

I've been saying this forever now. If it is Nix, than it definitely is a step up from what we've recently had. Nix would have an increased role in who we draft, and obviously he has excelled in this area, and in regards to negotiating for contracts we already have guys that can assist in that area. I believe he has been successful enough in his recent career to be given the opportunity to be GM.

I'm pleased with the move.

This may be true, but WHY THE &%$# did they interview John Guy? What are they going to announce...that they searched far and wide to look for a GM? Looks like they didn't even get out the front door of OBD. :bag::P:lol:

Rooney rule

well now that i think about it, this is actually quite a change from the bills of late. look at the Marv thing: he was a good coach, but when brought in higher up in the organization it was obviously to play on emotions and sell tickets. it failed as he was not familiar with the workings at the top of the organization.

now, they bring in someone who the "fans" on TSW go insane about because he isnt a big name, but he has had a very good career at the top of organizations. he knows how to build a team, or at least how a team is supposed to be built (at least it seems that way).

maybe its the optimistic masochist/bills fan in me that makes this look good, but i'll give him a chance

Here's a question for TBD...what exactly does a GM do -- or -- what is the GM most responsible for? If the answer is marketing, selling tickets, etc. -- Russ seems capable in that role. If the answer is handle contracts -- Jim Overdorf seems capable in that role. If the answer is drafting/evaluating talent...Buddy Nix may in fact be the guy. I think we still have a three-headed GM. Not sure what has changed -- but maybe taking football decisions off Russ's plate makes the most sense.

I'm not necessarily thrilled with the choice (as I think an accomplished outside perspective would do this organization good) -- but Buddy Nix has at least been around successful (read not dysfunctional) GM's before and learned from some good ones Polian/Butler/Smith.

My reporter questions would be:

-"How much say will he have in naming a new coach"

-"Who will be ultimately making the draft picks"

I've been saying this forever now. If it is Nix, than it definitely is a step up from what we've recently had. Nix would have an increased role in who we draft, and obviously he has excelled in this area, and in regards to negotiating for contracts we already have guys that can assist in that area. I believe he has been successful enough in his recent career to be given the opportunity to be GM.

I'm pleased with the move.

As am I. People wanted a 'football man' as their next GM. Well, folks, you got one. A lifelong scout and one of the better ones in the business. I don't really see what all of the bitching is about, except that he's not some yet-to-be-named candidate from outside the organization.

Apparently he has a strong relationship with Cowher. Modrak as GM could signal Cowher as HC. But Nix also worked with the chin before too, so who knows. As for Modrak, there are whispers that his draft picks were overruled by Dick(less) Jauron and Ralph. He targeted some of the players who we all said should have been drafted.

PTR

I hope your right about Cowher Power....

As am I. People wanted a 'football man' as their next GM. Well, folks, you got one. A lifelong scout and one of the better ones in the business. I don't really see what all of the bitching is about, except that he's not some yet-to-be-named candidate from outside the organization.

It's not enough to simply hire a football man, which is lost on most fans. That's not the bare minimum criteria here.

People who work in management peak in their career around their late 40s/50s. Not in their 70s. And that is especially the case here. The NFL is a young to middle aged man's business environment. Russ is young, but has never been trained in personnel. Nix is old and never proved enough to get a NFL GM job.

Look around the league and tell me how many 70+year old GM's there are. If Buffalo is the only one, there's an issue. Kinda like when the team didn't have a GM from 2006-2009.