Supposed big news announcement at 9pm

PromoTheRobot

Big news is that

Succession plan for the team is in place....to me this is by far the biggest news and best news. Supposedly goes to his wife as that way there are no estate taxes.

The other big news is that the Bills and Cowher are talking....that does not mean he comes here, but it does mean the Bills are in the mix.

Those were the two big things from his site tonight and the guy does have legitimate sources and contacts.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

STOP TEASING ME!!!

With this talk of hiring Bill Cowher, to me he is with out a doubt the best of all choices for the head coach position. The Bills still need a viable president instead of the owner, Ozzie Newsome would be a great choice, or they still need a viable GM if they don't hire Oz

Cohwer would do what we all thought Jauron was going to do, build a great defense and power running attack, my kinda team.

First bit of news: Several NFL sources say GM and coaching candidates who have been approached, or approached the Bills about positions have remarked that the Bills have a stable ownership situation that involves an heir to the team. Speculation: could Ralph leave the team to his wife Mary?

PTR

If this is true, it looks like Thurman Thomas wasn't talking through his hat.

I feel like I just woke up after a 10 year nap.

This is starting to seem like a real possibility, it makes sense. The big news to me would be that if Cowher is genuinely interested, it would mean that a complete overhaul really is in the works. The holes are drilled, and the dynamite is being put in. A real GM and head coach, new assistants, Guy and Modrak gone, everything.

What a wonderful world this could be.

i highly doubt that, buffalo is very similar to pittsburgh and seems like a perfect match for cowher....

buffalo and pittsburg has some things in common but not nearly as much as you think. buffalo is truly a backwater in every sense of the word now and will not be attractive unless no other opportunities are availlable at a similar price. buffalo has unfortunately made its bed over the past 35 years and now has to sleep in it

Actually, that wasn't the big news. The big news (as far as this thread goes) were rumors that came from a blogger who has a decent track record. The Byrd announcement was made in the afternoon, way before 9.

The Byrd announcement was made at 7pm, actually

Shanahan was associated with a particular GM--Allen--and made it clear he and Allen were a package deal. His talks with Buffalo occurred before Allen had signed with anyone, and may well have represented legitimate interest on his part. After Allen went to Washington, Shanahan going there too was a foregone conclusion.

Keep in mind that Cowher's situation is likely no different.

I read reports (I think it was on PFT) that Cowher would likely bring with him (to any coaching job) current Steelers' Director of Player Personnel Kevin Colbert. Colbert has run Pittsburgh's personnel department, and subsequently their drafts, since 2002. The current Steeler team is comprised almost exclusively of players drafted by Colbert:

QB - Roethlisberger

RB - Mendenhall

WR - Holmes, Wallace (Donahoe drafted Ward)

TE - Miller

LT - Starks

LG - Kemoeatu

RG - Essex

RT - Colon

OLB - Harrison (signed as street FA off Baltimore's practice squad)

ILB - Timmons

OLB - Woodley

SS - Polamalu

Those are some outstanding picks if you ask me...I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Keep in mind that Cowher's situation is likely no different.

I read reports (I think it was on PFT) that Cowher would likely bring with him (to any coaching job) current Steelers' Director of Player Personnel Kevin Colbert. Colbert has run Pittsburgh's personnel department, and subsequently their drafts, since 2002. The current Steeler team is comprised almost exclusively of players drafted by Colbert:

QB - Roethlisberger

RB - Mendenhall

WR - Holmes, Wallace (Donahoe drafted Ward)

TE - Miller

LT - Starks

LG - Kemoeatu

RG - Essex

RT - Colon

OLB - Harrison (signed as street FA off Baltimore's practice squad)

ILB - Timmons

OLB - Woodley

SS - Polamalu

Those are some outstanding picks if you ask me...I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Maybe if you leave out Starks, Essex, and Colon.

Hiring Cowher would certainly make a splash and bring a lot of credibility to the Bills, but it doesn't guarantee anything. The stat about there being just one HC who won a SB with another team is salient. And remember that when Ralph hired TD, who was credited with rebuilding the Steelers, that didn't go over so well.

If Cowher does come to Buffalo it will change the whole landscape around here. Top free agents will look to come play for Cowher versus spurning us at every turn for another team. You can bet that the defense will be turned around and you can also bet that we will be a power running team. I wouldn't be surprised if Cowher brought Grimm along with him to Buffalo as well. The question that would remain is who would we bring in as the OC? Would Grimm actually be the OC or just an OL coach/Assistant OC? All of this is speculation and I won't believe it until we actually introduce the guy as the HC, but I still can't help getting excited like a kid at Christmas. Hopefully I don't end up getting a lump of coal (i.e. Haslett, Martz, or some other turd HC).