Supposed big news announcement at 9pm

PromoTheRobot

for what it was, i thought the show was terrific. POWER TO THE PEOPLE BABY! for all the bitching about espn we see on this site, you'd think a guy who is the ANTI-espn and who does his own legwork would get a little respect. he sure doesn't sound any worse than anybody on wgr...and that is not a knock on wgr...

Funny you should mention GR, because as I recall, they gave him a tryout back when they were looking for someone to replace Brad in the 6-10pm slot. (Dennis Williams suddenly became available, and ended up with that job before they decided to go to replays following Schopp/Bulldog.)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention GR, because as I recall, they gave him a tryout back when they were looking for someone to replace Brad in the 6-10pm slot. (Dennis Williams suddenly became available, and ended up with that job before they decided to go to replays following Schopp/Bulldog.)

if that's true it would be really funny if he's right about all this...

He grew up in WNY but lives in FLA now. I certainly wouldn't move for a night gig at WGR but audio over IP technology could allow anyone to do a radio show from anywhere. Just ask Coach Dickerson. Not sure WGR would do the same for Sal.

PTR

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/buffalo-bills-now

Some of you have heard of Coach Sal. I was watching the Sabres game when a blurb about a "big announcement" about the Bills was annouced for 9pm. Could be something. Could be B.S. I'm just doing my public service and letting you all know.

PTR

It's a News Flash... The City of Buffalo has a drinking problem!

I'll reserve judgement till something actually happens.

I never bought the TO signing Bull **** last year and I'm not buying this.

Remember that episode of Sanford and Son, when Fred and Lamont get home and all their stuff is gone? They walk into the living room and in an ever so pathetic, yet hillarious tone, state "We was robbed..."

Well ScottLaw, that's YOU right now, man. You are being robbed of the thrill of fandom. And what's worse, you're robbing yourself of this experience.

What's more, you're Pete Carroll trotting to meet Jim Harbaugh at midfield to bellow "what's your deal, man?" and Jim Harbaugh, representing all of Bills fandom hoping to bring Cowher Power to the B-LO resoundingly trumps you with "what's YOUR deal, man?"

Ye Ole hath spoken... OUT

He grew up in WNY but lives in FLA now. I certainly wouldn't move for a night gig at WGR but audio over IP technology could allow anyone to do a radio show from anywhere. Just ask Coach Dickerson. Not sure WGR would do the same for Sal.

PTR

Pretty sure he did the tryout from down there. Not sure I still have the critique I sent Andy ... but as I recall, while he obviously wasn't a pro, he wasn't terrible, either. (And lest anyone take that as a shot at him -- or anyone else in that job -- I've long since decided that I have absolutely no future in broadcasting. Props to anyone who can carry on a reasonably intelligent-sounding conversation on the air.)

Pretty sure he did the tryout from down there. Not sure I still have the critique I sent Andy ... but as I recall, while he obviously wasn't a pro, he wasn't terrible, either. (And lest anyone take that as a shot at him -- or anyone else in that job -- I've long since decided that I have absolutely no future in broadcasting. Props to anyone who can carry on a reasonably intelligent-sounding conversation on the air.)

Give Ye Ole a shot! Dare I say, a team of Ye Ole and Coach Sal would run Schopp and Bulldog out on a rail. YE Ole' would have us all whipped into a frenzy... himself included! YEEEEE-HAWWWW

I am sorry to hear this. You know far more about the Bills, and football in general than almost anybody on the air. If you feel as if you would need a few public speaking courses to be comfortable so be it, but you sure sound great when we talk. Plus, you would have a built in following. Not trying to be pushy my dear friend, but someone with your gift shouldn't rule much of anything out in my very strong opinion.

My wife is a lawyer (albeit a very new one) and I asked her if she remembered anything about estate stuff. She dug out her federal Tax statute book and breezed through it but we have each had a few adult beverages tonight and quickly lost interest....Glad we could help! :rolleyes:

I run a wealth management firm in Las Vegas. Assets can pass between husband and spouse estate tax free, but when the second spouse dies, all assets above the lifetime exclusion is taxable under the death tax. The best way around this for Ralph would most likely be to implement a second to die life insurance policy to offset the tax or a key man policy for successors to help mitigate the expense. He could also pass the team through a charitable trust to a family foundation. These strategies would have to be placed through an ILIT (Irrivocable Life Insurance Trust or possibly a CRT Charitable Remainder trust, or some other form depending on how the business assets are structured) in ordr to avoid the death tax themselves.

Hope this helps.

I run a wealth management firm in Las Vegas. Assets can pass between husband and spouse estate tax free, but when the second spouse dies, all assets above the lifetime exclusion is taxable under the death tax. The best way around this for Ralph would most likely be to implement a second to die life insurance policy to offset the tax or a key man policy for successors to help mitigate the expense. He could also pass the team through a charitable trust to a family foundation. These strategies would have to be placed through an ILIT (Irrivocable Life Insurance Trust or possibly a CRT Charitable Remainder trust, or some other form depending on how the business assets are structured) in ordr to avoid the death tax themselves.

Hope this helps.

Or he could kill himself January 1st, and avoid the estate tax altogether.

Hope this helps.

tony d, a voice of reason in an unsettled world. ralph is a lot of things, but he seems to have made some sensible decisions in his life. i cannot for the life of me imagine that he has not set a plan in place for the protection of his family. there are likely 25 or 30 top-notch firms that a billionaire (or thereabouts) would have access to. it would likely have been the topic of many a late night chat sessions during a rich-guy owners meeting, and i'd be hard-pressed to think ralph skipped those sessions partying in the hot tub with al davis and the raiderettes.

on the other hand, stories abound of some of the dumbest smart rich people in the world taking zero advantage of estate planning/wealth management, so it isn't out of the question. it would appear to me that ralph, seemingly healthy through his 70's....80's...and into his 90's would likely have planned this all out, regardless of what is said in public.

tony d, a voice of reason in an unsettled world. ralph is a lot of things, but he seems to have made some sensible decisions in his life. i cannot for the life of me imagine that he has not set a plan in place for the protection of his family. there are likely 25 or 30 top-notch firms that a billionaire (or thereabouts) would have access to. it would likely have been the topic of many a late night chat sessions during a rich-guy owners meeting, and i'd be hard-pressed to think ralph skipped those sessions partying in the hot tub with al davis and the raiderettes.

on the other hand, stories abound of some of the dumbest smart rich people in the world taking zero advantage of estate planning/wealth management, so it isn't out of the question. it would appear to me that ralph, seemingly healthy through his 70's....80's...and into his 90's would likely have planned this all out, regardless of what is said in public.

No I agree. Most likely Ralph works with a family office and has good financial planners, cpas, and estate planners taking care of this. But there are cases out there where this does not happen. There is a saying in the financial planning industry. "Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations." Meaning the father earns it, the kids inherit it, the grandkids spend it, and by the forth generation, there is nothing left. Happens all the time.

I could go on for hours on this topic, but I won't bore everyone. I will say that Ralph is a self made man and a good business man. As a financial planner to affluent families, foundations, and comapnies confidentiality is a very good trait to have. I believe he has handled these issues privately and a succession plan has been in place for some time.

I am sorry to hear this. You know far more about the Bills, and football in general than almost anybody on the air. If you feel as if you would need a few public speaking courses to be comfortable so be it, but you sure sound great when we talk. Plus, you would have a built in following. Not trying to be pushy my dear friend, but someone with your gift shouldn't rule much of anything out in my very strong opinion.

I agree completely with the very intelligent man from NYC. I know you are busy with full time job and the side press work you do but the well is getting very dry in Buffalo. I understand why you would not do it knowing Bills fandom as well as you do with the stupid comments like those who said Ralph's daughter could not be a decent scout because she was a woman.