Supposed big news announcement at 9pm

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your thought process. Pittsburgh is a rough and tumble rust belt city with a lot of character, etc., etc.

But, other than that, why would Buffalo be the only city he would want to go to?

This is pure speculation....

But maybe he would like the idea of competing against Belicheat twice a season? Cowher might think he owes him a bunch of a55 kickings for all the playoff losses Pittsburgh suffered at the hands of the Pats* over the years.

Just a hopeful thought, in reality I agree and can't really imagine Cowher will decide to coach here.

Hahaha. That is probably one of the worst analogies I've ever seen.

You might not have heard, but Ralph Wilson is notorious around the league for being a tough guy to work for. It might not be the absolute truth, but its certainly the rumor.

And you also might not have heard, but Russ Brandon is exceptionally close to RW, which is why he is running the team despite not having any background in football operations. I'm not saying Russ is a bad guy, but the FO is pretty much a clusterf*ck in terms of management. Russ isn't going anywhere. Ralph isn't going anywhere. So that is what any HC will have to deal with. Russ will be taking a step back in terms of title, but do you think he will be taking a step back in terms of influence? Doubtful.

Who knows how much influence Russ has had in personal matters? I think Jauron had more say about players than Brandon has. Russ will continue to run the business & marketing side for the Bills which he is VERY GOOD at.

Ralph may be tough to work for, but I would wager 90% of NFL owners are just as tough to work for.

Sal may be just a "guy on the internet" but at least a dozen websites including ESPN and NFL.com have picked up his story. Does that mean they think he's legit or just demonstrates the incestuous nature of news on the web?

PTR

Doesn't necessarily have to be either/or, does it?

Sal may be just a "guy on the internet" but at least a dozen websites including ESPN and NFL.com have picked up his story. Does that mean they think he's legit or just demonstrates the incestuous nature of news on the web?

PTR

I think than anything it shows the quality of "news reporting" by ESPN and nfl.com. I'll take Sal's word over John Clayton or Mort's when it comes to the Bills.

Who knows how much influence Russ has had in personal matters? I think Jauron had more say about players than Brandon has. Russ will continue to run the business & marketing side for the Bills which he is VERY GOOD at.

Ralph may be tough to work for, but I would wager 90% of NFL owners are just as tough to work for.

Agree 100%. And the Ralph is hard to work for stuff is complete BS. He gave TD full control and just sat back. Of course when TD ran this team into the ground, then he decided to become more hands on. He's 90 and despite what some morons think, no one wants to see the Bills win more than Ralph. If he says he is going to give full control of the team up, no one should have any reason to doubt him.

PTR

The Latter. I mean seriously, major news outlets are now looking to a guy broadcasting out of his house for news????? Wow...how far has the media sunk?

Agree 100%. And the Ralph is hard to work for stuff is complete BS. He gave TD full control and just sat back. Of course when TD ran this team into the ground, then he decided to become more hands on. He's 90 and despite what some morons think, no one wants to see the Bills win more than Ralph. If he says he is going to give full control of the team up, no one should have any reason to doubt him.

Thanks for Posting Russ....

As for Russ, you are right, there is no way to know for sure. But, I would wager good money (based on what I know about the organization and the stuff I have read) that Brandon had his share of influence in personnel decisions (see TO). And its not necessarily the fact that Russ has influence in personnel decisions as much as it is that Russ runs the team. I have a strong feeling that when RW isn't around (which is quite often), it is Russ's show. Clearly RW is a hands on owner, but I think Russ is Ralph's right hand guy. And if Cowher is hired, I'm assuming he would run football operations as well as coach. He would become the face of the franchise in many ways. Maybe Russ is a stand-up guy and take a demotion. But, most people like to hold on to the power they have. And regardless, its all about perception. I'm just stating why there is a perception out there that Buffalo is not the most appetizing team to coach.

As for Ralph, I agree, most owners are probably tough to work for. I'm not sure if there are many people that want to coach the Raiders as long as Davis is running the show. That being said, Ralph is an old school guy (for obvious reasons) and runs his team in an old school way. He has always been found of "yes men" and is not one who embraces people who disagree with him. Cowher is a guy who will tell you what he thinks. Now, yes, there are reports that RW is ready to change, pay a HC a lot of money, and take a step back. Maybe thats true. But, can you really teach an old dog new tricks? Especially a 91 year old dog. Clearly, I'm not a big fan of RW.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I think that Cowher would be a great fit for the Bills. And I could see it happening. I just don't know if I buy all of these posters who say its the perfect situation for him.

I don't think Brandon has as much influence on player acquisitions as you suggest. He may have chimed in that T.O. would be good for ticket sales but that's about it. His influence extends only as far as being the figurehead GM. I really doubt he's in the war room on draft day, and if he is he's just watching. I'm sure Ralph has made many more personnel decisions than Russ.

PTR

Hijacked from an insder on BB.com Mbs..

"Cowher-to-Bills back on?

The rumor this week has been that Bill Cowher is leaning heavily towards returning to the NFL sidelines for 2010. The only problem -- as we're beginning to see -- is that there might not be a place for him.

With the Cowboys, Bears and Panthers now out of the picture, we speculated that Cowher was down to the Bucs, Jaguars and Texans. This was predicated on the published reports that Cowher was not interested in the Buffalo Bills.

But what if those reports weren't entirely true? Sal Capaccio of Buffalo Sports Daily has word from a source that Cowher is "impressed and interested" in the Bills' opening. As we know, Cowher wants to have a big say on personnel moves, and the Bills don't have an actual GM as of now. This is intriguing. "

I don't think Brandon has as much influence on player acquisitions as you suggest. He may have chimed in that T.O. would be good for ticket sales but that's about it. His influence extends only as far as being the figurehead GM. I really doubt he's in the war room on draft day, and if he is he's just watching. I'm sure Ralph has made many more personnel decisions than Russ.

PTR

I agree that Russ's influence likely does not extend very far into personnel decisions. Modrak is definitely the guy with the most influence (as it pertains to draft picks).