So These 4 Players Are There When Bills Pick

BuffaloBaumer

A QB drafted in the 1st round will become the next JP/Trent behind this line. It would be an absolute waste of a draft pick / money. If either of those guys had a better line, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think in this year's draft, there's going to be several OT and guards that are pure quality that can be had in the 2nd round.

You have Fox from Miami, Black from LSU, Williams from Oklahoma, Davis from Rutges...several of these Tackles will be there in the 2nd round when we draft.

My ideal scenario would be QB first/ OL 2nd...as per my signature.

With an OL in the 2nd round, plus hopefully the return of a healthy Wood...and additional experience from our current rookies in year 2, i think this OLine would be much better next season.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, but I just don't see this crop as a bunch of can't miss prospects along the lines of guys like Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, or Philip Rivers.

Sometimes, the best QBs in the draft are just that, and not "franchise QBs". Every draft does not produce franchise QBs, and the sooner people realize this, the better. The same folks that throw 'round warnings like "don't draft players from Texas or Penn State" have no qualms whatsoever wanting to draft a Big 12 QB, when we've seen a littany of guys from this conference come into the league and flame out. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I look @ the top available players in this year's draft, and there is no QB I'd be willing to take over a space eating DT, or a freakishly built OLB, or a stabilizing OT, many or all of whom could be available to the Bills when their turn comes up to draft in Round 1.

I feel the same way as you. Just because this group are the best QB's in the draft doesn't guarantee they will have any success at the pro level.

Actually, I think he ran a 4.49 @ the combine.

Sounds more accurate.

I love Willis, and I think that McClain is the best linebacker prospect to come out since him. Great athlete, very good size, instinctive, and hits like a ton of bricks. Saban has often referred to him as a second coach on the field as well. I would have no problem at all with him in a Bills uniform.

Also, just to add to my love affair with Bradford: I think it's a bit of a stretch to call him injury prone. The guy didn't miss a single game until this year when he suffered the shoulder injuries..and it's clear that he probably never fully healed from the injury in the first place. If the doctors see no problem with his shoulder, he would be a STEAL if we draft anywhere between 8-12. A STEAL. :ph34r::devil:

oh ya..i'm not a sooner fan either, just for the record..lol.

Pro Day 40 numbers are always inflated. Don't put any stock into them at all. The combine numbers, in which he ran a 4.49, are always a more accurate indicator. I could probably strap on the PF Flyers and record a 4.5 40 on the stopwatches at a Pro Day right now.

if one of the top QBs is there you take him and figure out LT the rest of the draft and/or in FA. There is simply no other opportunity to get potentially elite quarterbacks. Next year there may not be a guy worth drafting in our slot and you just kick the ball down the road forever. There are many more ways to get capable left tackles.

also we need a FA QB capable of starting regardless of whether we draft a QB or not.

The NFL scrap heap is littered with "can't miss" QB high draft picks. Ryan Leaf will always be the poster boy for this phenomenon, but all you have to do is go through the 1st round QB picks over the last 15 years and it's like a who's who of "can't miss" busts. For every 1st round success like Kelly, Elway, Marino, etc., there are 5 1st round busts who never lived up their exhalted status.

There's no guarantee for other positions (can you say Mike Williams?), but the glamour of the QB position too often puts stars in the eyes of the fans who've seen them tear up some Div I stiffs. I could be wrong, or course, but I don't see Colt McCoy as ever being a force in the NFL.

Here's a list of some of the "can't miss" first round busts: David Carr, Akili Smith, Rick Mirer, Heath Shuler, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Alex Smith, Matt Leinart. Some of these were "ok" QBs. but none warranted their lofty draft position or the paycheck that accompanied it.

Some that weren't necessarily "can't miss" players, but still 1st round busts include: Kyle Boller, Rex Grossman and our very own J.P Losman.

Oh yeah.....the Bills need to continue building from the inside and bolster their O and D lines. The skill positions will function at an amazingly high level if given the support from the beef ont he trenches. That's how superbowl teams are built.

Also, just to add to my love affair with Bradford: I think it's a bit of a stretch to call him injury prone. The guy didn't miss a single game until this year when he suffered the shoulder injuries..and it's clear that he probably never fully healed from the injury in the first place. If the doctors see no problem with his shoulder, he would be a STEAL if we draft anywhere between 8-12. A STEAL. :ph34r::devil:

oh ya..i'm not a sooner fan either, just for the record..lol.

Jim Kelly missed most of his senior season with a shoulder injury, by the way ...

thats why talent evaluating is so tough......

first of all, Patrick Willis ran a 4.37......McClain runs a 4.60.......while McClain might become a great pro, he is no Patrick Willis.

of the four players you mention, i believe Gerald McCoy has the least amount of risk. i think that Bradford has the most risk with that glass shoulder of his, absent that injury he goes 1st overall (even ahead of Suh). The OT Williams does not look like an elite LT, he played RT most of his career and just moved over with mixed results. i love Bradfords accuracy, but his shoulder is just to big of a red flag. if i'm picking, i would go McCoy.

SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32Player Pos. School Grade

1. Eric Berry* S Tennessee 97

2. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska 97

3. Gerald McCoy* DT Oklahoma 96

4. Joe Haden* CB Florida 96

5. Derrick Morgan* DE Georgia Tech 96

6. Russell Okung OT Okla. State 96

7. Rolando McClain* ILB Alabama 96

8. Trent Williams OT Oklahoma 95

9. Jake Locker* QB Washington 95

10. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson 95

11. Sam Bradford* QB Oklahoma 94

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/201...mock-draft.html

Jim Kelly had a similar injury in his senior season. Would you say he had a "glass shoulder"? I get that the shoulder injury is a concern, but come on.

If they are all there, who do you pick. I have to admit, I would be happy with any of them and I think it is a lock that one of these guys will be the pick.

Willaims sucks terribly so no.

Bradford maybe if we had a line - we dont so no

McCoy if we were 3-13 but we arnt

McClain plays with cement shoes - ie he does not have very quick feet and is not very explosive. He is tall and has a long stride which accounts for his good timed speed, but he plays much slower than that. I predict he will be this years Malegua and drop to the early second round. Id take him in the 2nd though as I think he could be a very solid 2 down SAM - which is the LB position we truly need help at.

Jim Kelly had a similar injury in his senior season. Would you say he had a "glass shoulder"? I get that the shoulder injury is a concern, but come on.

People just have a tendancy to exaggerate. The guy has an injury to his shoulder and all of a sudden it's a glass shoulder. He didn't miss a game before this year. That shoulder is more of a freak occurrence than anything else, imo. But again, the doctors imput should be critical in the decisiion. the guy is 22, not 40.

People just have a tendancy to exaggerate. The guy has an injury to his shoulder and all of a sudden it's a glass shoulder. He didn't miss a game before this year. That shoulder is more of a freak occurrence than anything else, imo. But again, the doctors imput should be critical in the decisiion. the guy is 22, not 40.

Peterson's injury history dropped him to the #7 pick. Hope the Bills can be as lucky as the Vikings were. I have no problem taking a QB, OT, or DL/LB who can rush the passer with our top 7-8 pick. Any other position that high and you better be sure you're getting a perennial Pro Bowler.

ok, ok, ok....."glass" is a lil strong......but it is a major concern. again , i love Bradford and if he fell to us i'd be thrilled. i do think both him and McCoy will be gone when we pick, currently at 7-10th.

I'm not even that concerned w/ Bradford's shoulder injury as I am the fact that he could very well be yet another Big 12 QB w/ huge stats that flames out in the pros, like many of the 9 other Big 12 QBs drafted since 1996. Maybe he's different from the others, but it's a leap of faith right now. Sorry, but I'd rather have the OL, DL, or OLB upgrade.

I think the Bills have to decide if Bradford is better than next year's class. I think Bradford is good, but having not seen him at all this season, its tough to say for sure.

In a perfect world, the Bills would somewhat solidify their line via free agency and mid round draft picks. I'm not sold on anyone but Okung. If Wood can recover and the Bills manage to sign a tackle, I am okay with waiting until round 2.

Essentially, if they execute any kind of offseason plan (for the first time in history) that does not involve solving all of the problems via the draft, they have a shot. If not, it makes no sense but to draft a bunch of lineman.

Highly doubt that this ever happened, and don't remember ever reading about that anywhere if it somehow did. Link?

And how exactly do you know that McClain is going to run a 4.60 when he works out at the combine or at his pro day? Helping him train or something?

I can't swear that it was true but I certainly recall it being reported. I believe it was on his proday in Miss.

Pro Day 40 numbers are always inflated. Don't put any stock into them at all. The combine numbers, in which he ran a 4.49, are always a more accurate indicator. I could probably strap on the PF Flyers and record a 4.5 40 on the stopwatches at a Pro Day right now.

I see now that Papazoid did get back to you. Re Pro Day - sometimes a better indicator than the combine - Beanie Wells, and sometimes not - Aaron Maybin.