Driving Pet Peeves - Mine Deals With Changing Lanes

Steely Dan

My favorite...

I am driving in the right lane going the speed limit.

No cars behind me.

As I get near the exit ramp, this clown has raced like heck

to pass me, then sharply cuts right in front of me to exit the roadway.

Of course, I have to jam on the brakes to avoid hitting him as he rushes

off the roadway.

This has been experienced in WV,PA and WNY...All during the

recent Thanksgiving holiday we took in Lewiston.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is his perogative. As long as he is doing the legal speed limit, there is no fast lane. I never got this notion of a fast lane, unless somebody was going really slow and under the limit.

Far as I know EII, it is actually a law (at least here in the great Commonwelth of VA) that the left lane is for passing and passing only. And yes, you can get a ticket for sitting oin the left lane even if you are going over the spped limit. It is never enforced, but it could be.

Now, i know this cause I am a traffic geek and read Dr Gridlock in the Post every week, as wellas similiar column here in Richmond called Street Beat.

Now, my peeve as mentioned before is merging. Here in the south, people see a lane ending sign 1500 yda or whatever and immediately get in the other lane, instaed of using two lanes till the end and then doing a zipper merge as people are taught in Europe.

In PA it is the law that the left lane is for passing only.

75-3313(d), 75-3301(b) May also use left lane to allow traffic to merge or "when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow".

I absolutely hate drivers who get in the left lane and impede the flow of traffic. Most of the time it is a big truck who decides to pass another truck going up a hill, because he wants to drive 1mph faster then the other guy.

Here's one I have never figured out:

The roadway is clear, I'm doing the limit, and ahead is somebody in the right lane driving, say 5 mph less. That's ok - I do that myself from time to time, but if traffic is such that I would be an impediment, I speed back up.

I approach the slower driver, signal my intentions, pass well ahead, then signal and drop back in the rt. lane.

Somehow, this affronts that slower driver - they speed up, pass, me, then slow down again. This can go on and on.

The roadway is clear, I'm doing the limit, and ahead is somebody in the right lane driving, say 5 mph less. That's ok - I do that myself from time to time, but if traffic is such that I would be an impediment, I speed back up.

I approach the slower driver, signal my intentions, pass well ahead, then signal and drop back in the rt. lane.

Somehow, this affronts that slower driver - they speed up, pass, me, then slow down again. This can go on and on.

Kind of along the same lines....pass a person that is going under 55mph in a 55 zone, it becomes a 30mph zone then that guy is right up on you wanting to go 50. And you're the jerk for passing earlier and staying near the speed limit in both.

That is his perogative. As long as he is doing the legal speed limit, there is no fast lane. I never got this notion of a fast lane, unless somebody was going really slow and under the limit.

Disagree.

The lane furthest to the left is a passing lane. You enter it to pass a slower-moving car. You pass said car and then you move back to your right. Riding in the left lane at a speed slower than the pace of traffic is dangerous and disrupts efficient flow. Especially when there is no car to your right to prevent you from getting back over.

Disagree.

The lane furthest to the left is a passing lane. You enter it to pass a slower-moving car. You pass said car and then you move back to your right. Riding in the left lane at a speed slower than the pace of traffic is dangerous and disrupts efficient flow. Especially when there is no car to your right to prevent you from getting back over.

Years ago, when I traveled to W. Germany with some frequency, headlights were flashed, and you pulled back over, as a matter of course. For reasons unknown here, such is occasionally considered to be fighting words.

Go figure...

Years ago, when I traveled to W. Germany with some frequency, headlights were flashed, and you pulled back over, as a matter of course. For reasons unknown here, such is occasionally considered to be fighting words.

Go figure...

First time I drove in England, I was going slow so I quickly got into the right lane. Of course, that's the passing lane but it took a few minutes for that to dawn on me. There was a row of about ten cars waiting behind me -- no one passed me on the left, no one honked, no one flipped me the bird. Amazing.

So you are saying that it is okay to break the law and others who are lawfully abidding should move out of your way? What gives you the right? They have every right to be there if they are doing the speed limit. If they are doing the speed limit, the vehicle behind them is the burdened vehicle. Sure it is easier to just move over and let them speed around you, which I do most of the time.

But really, who is the jackass?

Disagree.

What he said. :unsure:

Been there. This when I wish I had the James Bond machine guns in the headlights. :flirt:

I do. I don't see your headlights, you see my brake lights and 5mph under the speed limit until you back off.

Ditto . . .

I have far too many peeves abpout driving to list. Driving is sooooo fricken' easy . . . why the hell are there so many incompetent boobs on the road??

My latest peeve, and those of you still in WNY should be able to attest to this, is: at least 50% of drivers are driving 5-15 mph UNDER the speed limit.

Sorry, I have a type A, East Coast mentality. If you can't even go the posted speed limit, GET OFF THE ROAD!!!

Here's a beauty we all know and love: Driving behind someone on a two-lane road and you can't pass the person in front of you who is going under the speed limit. As you slowly approach the light, it turns yellow, and the idiot in front of you decides that he better speed up now and make the light. He goes through and you're stuck at the red. No jury would convict me I swear.

First time I drove in England, I was going slow so I quickly got into the right lane. Of course, that's the passing lane but it took a few minutes for that to dawn on me. There was a row of about ten cars waiting behind me -- no one passed me on the left, no one honked, no one flipped me the bird. Amazing.

Heh. I made a journey once to Ye Merry Olde for the auto company I worked for. They set it up that I had the use of one of the spiffy models.

That was very kind of them, but in my heart of hearts, I knew there was nothing good that could come out of me negotiating around RH drive England in a large, powerful sedan (saloon!) with the added complication of it being a 5-speed manual.

I put on the proper diplomatic behavior hat, and somehow, they found me a rare bird - an auto tranny Polo sedan. :unsure:

Heh. I made a journey once to Ye Merry Olde for the auto company I worked for. They set it up that I had the use of one of the spiffy models.

That was very kind of them, but in my heart of hearts, I knew there was nothing good that could come out of me negotiating around RH drive England in a large, powerful sedan (saloon!) with the added complication of it being a 5-speed manual.

I put on the proper diplomatic behavior hat, and somehow, they found me a rare bird - an auto tranny Polo. :unsure:

Before anyone gets confused, he doesn't mean a transvestite. Pretty sure this is what he means.