orakpo

zazie

To the contrary, unlike Maybin, Orakpo is doing his part. It's the other 21 starters that need to chip in, too.

Agreed. It would be like saying that Jairus Byrd isn't helping the Bills win games this year. Its not his fault that the rest of the team sucks.

I wanted Orakpo over Maybin.

But let's get two things straight: Maybin plays DE, Orakpo plays OLB. Maybin plays sparingly, Orakpo is a starter. Hardly a fair comparison. Maybin also missed Training Camp.

DE is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL and Maybin is quite raw but has unlimited potential. He's very talented and once he gains size and experience, as well as adding a few pass rush moves to his repetoire, he'll be a force.

Remember when everyone lambasted Casserly and the Texans for taking Williams over Bush and Young? Let's give Maybin a chance.

Huh? I thought all you need is one player to win a football game? He's no Tedi Bruschi.

PTR

Give it time.

But let's get two things straight: Maybin plays DE, Orakpo plays OLB. Maybin plays sparingly, Orakpo is a starter. Hardly a fair comparison. Maybin also missed Training Camp.

DE is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL and Maybin is quite raw but has unlimited potential. He's very talented and once he gains size and experience, as well as adding a few pass rush moves to his repetoire, he'll be a force.

Remember when everyone lambasted Casserly and the Texans for taking Williams over Bush and Young? Let's give Maybin a chance.

The sacks I saw from Orakpo today came from the DE position. And he starts and Maybin plays sparingly for a reason.

Too bad Orakpo hasn't helped Washington win any more games than the Bills.

PTR

is there a point in there? He's a better player than Maybin, he'd make the team better thant it is now. just because the redskins offense is even worse than ours doesn't mean ****

I guess you wouldn't want Calvin Johnson on the team either?

Unlimited potential? What the hell have you seen that I haven't? The dude plays straight up and down, he makes pozz look like a ballerina! He's had more than enough time to catch up. Orakpo gets his sacks when his hand is on the ground. He plays OLB on 1st and 2nd and DE on 3rd similar to the way Peter Boulware played. Holy friggen excuses! Honestly, I cannot remember another rookie who was taken that high looking so completely lost. RALPH, THE FO HAS TO GO TOO!!!!!!!

I hope I'm wrong as I don't want to give up on young players too quick but our draft would have looked pretyy good - except for the Maybin Pick. Orakpo or Oher would have looked good in Bills uniforms. Initially I like others fell in love with FSU Brown highlights that reminded me of Dwight Freeny and badly wanted to see him here and was pissed we passed him over for Byrd. But every once in a while this Bills team proves us wrong; lets hope it happens with Maybin. I just don't see him being a 4-3 DE in the NFL. While he can definitely add lower body strength, his frame looks maxed. Orakpo had an NFL build for a 4-3 DE with the ability to play OLB. Lets hope Maybin can improve or he is better utilized for as of right now I don't see Mario Williams out of Maybin as I just don't see the potential.

Unlimited potential? What the hell have you seen that I haven't? The dude plays straight up and down, he makes pozz look like a ballerina! He's had more than enough time to catch up. Orakpo gets his sacks when his hand is on the ground. He plays OLB on 1st and 2nd and DE on 3rd similar to the way Peter Boulware played. Holy friggen excuses! Honestly, I cannot remember another rookie who was taken that high looking so completely lost. RALPH, THE FO HAS TO GO TOO!!!!!!!

Yes, unlimited potential. He needed one more year of college seasoning, he played only two years of college ball, one year as a starter. He had 12 sacks at Penn State in '08. All American, All Big Ten. He's 6'4" with the frame to bulk up and add lbs. Everyone knew he was a project player who wouldn't have an immediate impact and would need time to develop. Like I said, I wanted Orakpo, who was a senior and more "NFL ready." But you'd be insane to give up on Maybin already.

Yes, unlimited potential. He needed one more year of college seasoning, he played only two years of college ball, one year as a starter. He had 12 sacks at Penn State in '08. All American, All Big Ten. He's 6'4" with the frame to bulk up and add lbs. Everyone knew he was a project player who wouldn't have an immediate impact and would need time to develop. Like I said, I wanted Orakpo, who was a senior and more "NFL ready." But you'd be insane to give up on Maybin already.

I have a bunch of buddies who need another year or two of college to get a bachelors but I wouldn't say that their potential is unlimited.

I have a bunch of buddies who need another year or two of college to get a bachelors but I wouldn't say that their potential is unlimited.

Lets see who has a longer more productive career Maybin or Orapko. Instead of calling it a career before there rookie seasons are done. Thx.

I was not pleased with the Maybin selection and his season certainly pales in comparison to Orakpo. But I think the direct comparisons with Orakpo are a little unfair. Although, at this point, Orakpo may be the better NFL player, had Orakpo gone at 11 and Maybin dropped to 13, you would not see Orakpo getting 11 sacks on our line and would likely have seen Maybin grab at least 5-6 sacks (maybe more) if he was lining up next to Albert Haynesworth, Andre Carter and Cornelius Griffin.

I'll be really pissed if Orakpo takes rookie of the year honors away from Byrd.

Then again getting 9 INTs is a wee bit more impressive than getting 10 sacks.

Just a qucik question for you guys:

Has a rookie ever led the NFL in interceptions in a season?

The worst part of it is that his struggles were quite predictable. DE is second only to QB in terms of the difficulty transitioning to the NFL and when you draft an underclassman, who almost invariably is even less prepared for that transition than a senior, you usually just compound those problems. At the moment, Maybin's 1st season is mirroring that of any number of 1st round DE washouts of recent years. Hoperfully Maybin is the exception and its certainly too early to just give up on him, but I'm not at all encouraged to this point.