Fewell on Maybin

CountDorkula

A quote from a Buffalo news article:

"Them" would be Perry Fewell, the Bills' defensive coordinator and interim head coach. Fewell was blunt when asked about his rookie end. He said that Maybin will be a "dynamic" player in the league one day. But that day hasn't arrived. Fewell said the kid isn't good enough to help him win right now. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Are the first 15 picks not supposed to be instant contributors in the NFL???

here is the link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/889166.html

This really shouldn't be shocking to anyone. All the draft "experts", fans, Bills Brass, and even casual observers stated that Maybin is a project. He didn't play much college football and would need a couple years to be ready in the NFL. He was not slated to be an immediate impact player, therefore he cannot be proclaimed a bust at this point and time. Fewell did not say anything surprising, the bottom line is he is not good enough to be on the field the whole game at this point in his career. I don't agree with drafting a project when your team hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 years, I would want an immediate impact player personally, but that's what they did. Basically it's just another in a long line of front office blunders over the past years, it may work out in the long run, but this team needs a GM desperately!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this place is good at grudges...somebody should save these, so when Maybin turns out to be a stud, you can put them in your signature.

At this point, it is not hurting us any to have him as a project. It may end up working to our advantage. Next year, at the ripe old age of 22 he will have a year of NFL experience, and still be younger than a lot of guys coming out in the draft. The obvious issues with his being overpowered will, no doubt, be addressed in the off season. He is not Schobel or Kelsay. He is 21 years old. He still can add muscle and bulk quickly. The other undersized DE's we have are on the physical decline.

Maybin does have some fire, maybe a little misplaced, but he has emotion...see his celebrating every tackle. He is a competitor, and is embarrassed of his lack of productivity, be sure of that.

A little HGH, a strong workout program...this guy will be stronger. Hopefully he has a little help on D, and isn't surrounded by the practice squad and can play to his strengths.

It won't really matter though, because even he turns into a Pro-Bowler, there will be something to complain about, and that is what is truly important. It is hard to believe that people think the FO needs to be held accountable for this...if this was even close to the worst thing they had done, we would be in good shape.

The funny thing is that I always got the impression that it was Fewell himself who banged the drum for drafting Maybin, as he repeatedly made comments prior to the draft that he felt it was Ok to invest a top 15 pick to draft a player who may be a situational player only. I got the impression that Modrak wanted a more all-around DE (like Ayers).

Not really. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:1 Of the top 15, who is really lighting it up? Cushing is having a great rookie year and Orakpo is playing well. But LB is one of the easier position to transition too. DEs always take a lot of time and the guys ahead of Maybin are stronger and better right now.

Maybin may never live up to his draft status. But the lack of patience for a 21 year old is kinda pathetic.

As I recall Dwight Freeny had a good rookie season. Also, even if DE's take longer to develop, it's a rediculous pick for a team that was in DIRE need of a contributing player. A team like the Steelers, Colts, etc can afford to draft a project, not the Bills. We should have taken an instant contributor with the pick like Oher or Cushing.

Our Organization proved otherwise right, Just like Trent F$@King Edwards right, or Ryan Fitzpatrick and the list goes on and on. :ph34r:

If this is what you base your opinions off of, well good for you Eienstein.

What does Thurman Thomas have to say about it?

Guest dog14787
What does Thurman Thomas have to say about it?

Thurman won't touch the QB issues, probably in part to Jim Kelly's latest outbursts. I did tell him I still thought TE was a good QB and the Bills could be making a mistake if he gets run out of Buffalo.

His reply was the new regime would decide.(not word for word)

Thurman also refused to put all the blame on the O-line, implied if Jim and himself was playing the current O-line would be playing better or wouldn't hear the end of it until they did. (not word for word)

thurmanthomas:

@dog14787 maybe cuz we wld b in there ear telling them to get ur sh;t together 2:14 PM Dec 4th from Echofon in reply to dog14787

thurmanthomas:

@dog14787 if the next HC, OC think they can work wit him do it. 2:41 PM Dec 4th from Echofon in reply to dog14787

I know this place is good at grudges...somebody should save these, so when Maybin turns out to be a stud, you can put them in your signature.

At this point, it is not hurting us any to have him as a project. It may end up working to our advantage. Next year, at the ripe old age of 22 he will have a year of NFL experience, and still be younger than a lot of guys coming out in the draft. The obvious issues with his being overpowered will, no doubt, be addressed in the off season. He is not Schobel or Kelsay. He is 21 years old. He still can add muscle and bulk quickly. The other undersized DE's we have are on the physical decline.

Maybin does have some fire, maybe a little misplaced, but he has emotion...see his celebrating every tackle. He is a competitor, and is embarrassed of his lack of productivity, be sure of that.

A little HGH, a strong workout program...this guy will be stronger. Hopefully he has a little help on D, and isn't surrounded by the practice squad and can play to his strengths.

It won't really matter though, because even he turns into a Pro-Bowler, there will be something to complain about, and that is what is truly important. It is hard to believe that people think the FO needs to be held accountable for this...if this was even close to the worst thing they had done, we would be in good shape.

so...Jason Taylor out of college was 6'6" and weighed 244...Maybin is 6'4" and 249....Taylor has done okay for himself at that size....hell, he's "skinnier" than Maybin.

Thurman won't touch the QB issues, probably in part to Jim Kelly's latest outbursts. I did tell him I still thought TE was a good QB and the Bills could be making a mistake if he gets run out of Buffalo.

His reply was the new regime would decide.(not word for word)

Thurman also refused to put all the blame on the O-line, implied if Jim and himself was playing the current O-line would be playing better or wouldn't hear the end of it until they did. (not word for word)

Did Thurman say you're nuts for thinking JP Losman is a good quarterback?

As I recall Dwight Freeny had a good rookie season. Also, even if DE's take longer to develop, it's a rediculous pick for a team that was in DIRE need of a contributing player. A team like the Steelers, Colts, etc can afford to draft a project, not the Bills. We should have taken an instant contributor with the pick like Oher or Cushing.

I guy like Cushing would have been nice, but ultimately we would probably still be sitting at 4-8, maybe 5-7 at best. And if Maybin pans out (I'm still hopeful), a pass rusher is almost always more valuable than a LB. James Harrison had 4 total sacks between 2002 and 2006....He has 34.5 since. Give Maybin some time.

You can't gain experience if you cant get on the field. Yea he may be good in 3 years but with this "new coaching staff" coming in will they give him time to "develope"

That is the thing that annoys me most about Maybin. He jumps on the pile/ ball carrier a second after he is down, gets up and celebrates. Maybe when he makes a game changing play then celebrate.

Bottom line guy cant even get on the field for a team that cant win ball games, stop the run, or get a decent consistent pass rush, which is supposed to be his speacialty.

Our Organization proved otherwise right, Just like Trent F$@King Edwards right, or Ryan Fitzpatrick and the list goes on and on. :ph34r:

If this is what you base your opinions off of, well good for you Eienstein.

Ya, your credibility went from a 0 to about -3 with the Losman thread.

A quote from a Buffalo news article:

"Them" would be Perry Fewell, the Bills' defensive coordinator and interim head coach. Fewell was blunt when asked about his rookie end. He said that Maybin will be a "dynamic" player in the league one day. But that day hasn't arrived. Fewell said the kid isn't good enough to help him win right now. :death::ph34r:

Are the first 15 picks not supposed to be instant contributors in the NFL???

here is the link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/889166.html

DEs don't start to shine until their second or third year see Bruce Smith and that was the greatest there ever was by far and he only had 6 or 8 saccks and saw alot more playing time I also am under the suspicion that he sees him as a linebacker.

Not really. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-t...y-round-input:1 Of the top 15, who is really lighting it up? Cushing is having a great rookie year and Orakpo is playing well. But LB is one of the easier position to transition too. DEs always take a lot of time and the guys ahead of Maybin are stronger and better right now.

Maybin may never live up to his draft status. But the lack of patience for a 21 year old is kinda pathetic.

Maybin is an LB. Why not start him now?

In that case he should have just declined the interim job because, using your logic, you want him to lose every game, thereby nullifying any hope of him getting a HC job with the Bills, or any other NFL team. There is no point in taking a bullet for the Bills. Whoever is the new GM or coach will decide on players like Maybin and Brohm. It's Fewell's right...it's his job...to win games NOW. I say he's a much better coach than people give him credit for.

PTR

I have to agree with you I will say we are evaluating on e of the most important positions on the field HC.

Guest dog14787
Ya, your credibility went from a 0 to about -3 with the Losman thread.

The Bills eat up players and coaches and spit them out like a monkey eating bananas and crapping out banana pudding.

I like banana's...

I have to agree with you I will say we are evaluating on e of the most important positions on the field HC.

So comes the everlasting debate. Does the head coach make the payers? Or do the players make the head coach? :ph34r:

There is only so much you can teach before pure talent come in to play.