Colts workout Losman

iommi

I can see JP dropping back to pass with the game in hand and tripping over his own feet fumbleing the ball and a Jets defender picking it up and running it in for a win.

No question about it. In 2006, he was confident and competent, an up-and-comer. Then we changed the offense.

By the time he finished up in Buffalo, he was an empty shell.

But you know how stupid the Colts are about personnel and QBs in particular. Yeah, that Polian guy, a real jerk. Clearly, he thinks that in the right atmosphere, there's a chance that Losman could be an NFL QB. That's all you have to know, really, that one of the best organizations in football is far from convinced that Losman is a stiff.

Our system was horrible for Losman. And Trent, perhaps? And maybe Fitz?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still take an injured Sorgi over a healthy JP

I know I personally trust your opinion over Polian's, definitely. Otherwise I would wait to see what happens there.

The point is that it has been recieved wisdom on these boards that Losman would never see an NFL field. And yet, Polian thinks that there's a chance for this guy.

Why? Are you just so much enthralled by JP in some way that simply overpowers being a Bills fan? :P

He sucks and is a proven, perpetual loser, but do keep clinging to that shred of hope for whatever reason. :thumbsup:

Gosh. If only Polian was as smart as you.

No question about it. In 2006, he was confident and competent, an up-and-comer. Then we changed the offense.

By the time he finished up in Buffalo, he was an empty shell.

But you know how stupid the Colts are about personnel and QBs in particular. Yeah, that Polian guy, a real jerk. Clearly, he thinks that in the right atmosphere, there's a chance that Losman could be an NFL QB. That's all you have to know, really, that one of the best organizations in football is far from convinced that Losman is a stiff.

I would hardly say that Losman was ever an 'up and comer" ever.....maybe the 3 qbs that you just mentioned suck!! Plain and simple. A good quarterback will show something, regardless of the system he is in.

I am sorry, I am just tired of excuses for every quarterback that comes through here. Its bad drafting and scouting and decision making that brought these bums in here. That is what is to blame here. Not systems....Our scouting staff needs an over hall.

In your infinite wisdom you are of course aware that UFL players and coaches were unable to sign with an Nfl team till after the UFL season was over? Right?

And you in your infinite wisdom remember the mad chase to sign JP Losman in the offseason before "deciding" to go to the UFL

JP Losman was not good enough here....no excuses.

Yeah, and Johnny Unitas was not good enough when he was with the Steelers. No excuses, Unitas. You're a loser.

I'm not comparing Losman with Unitas. Just pointing out the (extremely obvious) fact that some QBs who don't work out in some circumstances do work out in others.

Yeah, and Johnny Unitas was not good enough when he was with the Steelers. No excuses, Unitas. You're a loser.

I'm not comparing Losman with Unitas. Just pointing out the (extremely obvious) fact that some QBs who don't work out in some circumstances do work out in others.

I hope you realize there were a lot fewer teams in the 1950s and that comparing the NFL of the 50s and the opportunities available to players back then to now is ridiculous. There was a reason the AFL was able to come into existance & thrive. A lot of good football players had nowhere to go on a depth chart. There was no unrestricted free agency in the NFL.

I tend to agree with this ... I think. A change of scenery could be what JP needs. The only thing that tells me otherwise is that there were 32 teams unwilling to sign him. While he was here, I was a huge JP supporter. But I, like most others, realized he just didn't have that "it" factor. Great arm, great athletic ability, great work ethic, great community service, great attitude ... everything most quality QBs have ... except "it."

I hope the best for him. Being a backup in the NFL is still better than being a starter in any other league in the world.

No question about it. In 2006, he was confident and competent, an up-and-comer. Then we changed the offense.By the time he finished up in Buffalo, he was an empty shell.

Why would the SAME OC, architect of JP's best season in 2006, DELIBERATELY change that successful offense? Why would an OC choose to change the formula for his starting QB that ranked 11th in the league? That's right, he wouldn't. And Fairchild didn't.

After JP's injury in '07, Fairchild dumbed down the playbook for Edwards which was the smart thing to do considering they were throwing a rookie onto the field. That was the only "changing" Fairchild did.

The only thing that changed for JP was teams had him figured out (read: teams very seldom let him see single coverage on Evans) and, seeing as he wasn't very good at reading defenses and going through his progressions, his play worsened. It worsened to the point that just getting "adequate" play from Edwards was enough to force JP to the bench. Didn't help that JP suffered from a crisis of confidence and put so much pressure on himself that there was no way he was going to recover.

Hopefully, he's matured, learned to read defenses, and can get himself back into the league. But this revisionist history of Fairchild changing his offense needs to stop. It simply didn't happen.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll take the odds that Losman will not work out as a NFL QB thank you.

I think a good modern example of a QB where things weren't working out in their initial NFL experience is Vince Young. But that is not to compare him to Losman...in the sense that even when Vince doesn't play well at QB, he still has the "it" factor to win games.

Still think Losman "could" be a serviceable NFL QB, in the right system and with good supporting personnel. Depends if he has truly matured, learned and settled down at all. The guy always seemed to have a nervous energy about him, rather than a confident, positive energy.

I think a good modern example of a QB where things weren't working out in their initial NFL experience is Vince Young. But that is not to compare him to Losman...in the sense that even when Vince doesn't play well at QB, he still has the "it" factor to win games.

Still think Losman "could" be a serviceable NFL QB, in the right system and with good supporting personnel. Depends if he has truly matured, learned and settled down at all. The guy always seemed to have a nervous energy about him, rather than a confident, positive energy.

I agree with you on the "it" factor. I think certain quarterbacks have it and others do not regardless of the "system". If the surroundings have to be perfect for a quarterback to be good, then the quarterback in question must not be the good after all.