Why the Bills might actually have MORE appeal to Shanahan

trolls_r_us

To put it bluntly, Shanahan considers himself a HOF coach.

Let's just say the Bills, Cowboys, and Redskins come calling. The Cowboys are the Jerrah Jones Show, and everyone knows it. The Redskins are also run by a meddling owner in Snyder who has a puppet GM.

Then there is the Bills. A 91 year old owner hell-bent on a Super Bowl win. A great fanbase and football town. The ULTIMATE underdog story if you could win there.

If Ralph is truly willing to pay 5yrs/50 million, AND give Shanahan full control over football operations, then its essentially his team. He won't have that in Dallas or Washington.

Then there's this intangible that would likely appeal to a guy like Shanahan: you win a SB in Buffalo and you did something NOBODY else was able to do. He would be a GOD here and easily a 1st ballot HOFer. To some guys, that is the ultimate motivation.

This isn't MLB: every NFL team has roughly the same resources. Ralph HAS spent some good $$ on players, it's just not been spent wisely. Shanahan isn't you normal "I just want to golf and get the easy gig" type guy. His Denver teams beat Brady/Belichick in big spots. No reason he can't win here.

Let's just say the Bills, Cowboys, and Redskins come calling. The Cowboys are the Jerrah Jones Show, and everyone knows it. The Redskins are also run by a meddling owner in Snyder who has a puppet GM.

Then there is the Bills. A 91 year old owner hell-bent on a Super Bowl win. A great fanbase and football town. The ULTIMATE underdog story if you could win there.

If Ralph is truly willing to pay 5yrs/50 million, AND give Shanahan full control over football operations, then its essentially his team. He won't have that in Dallas or Washington.

Then there's this intangible that would likely appeal to a guy like Shanahan: you win a SB in Buffalo and you did something NOBODY else was able to do. He would be a GOD here and easily a 1st ballot HOFer. To some guys, that is the ultimate motivation.

This isn't MLB: every NFL team has roughly the same resources. Ralph HAS spent some good $$ on players, it's just not been spent wisely. Shanahan isn't you normal "I just want to golf and get the easy gig" type guy. His Denver teams beat Brady/Belichick in big spots. No reason he can't win here.

I have been saying this all along since the word got out he was coming to see what we have to say. In fact, just a lil while ago I posted this in another thread...so I totally agree with you on this. I actually think we have a very good shot at him and if Ralph really does make a big offer he will likely be our next coach. Here is part of my other post below...

From what I worte in the other thread:

No one seems to think we will get Shannahan, but honestly, I think he is going to be our next coach. Not because of this thread, but because he fits in great here and Shannahan has never been one for the spotlight. His style of football plays very well on a team like this. Not to mention, he gets to go up against BB in NE twice a year. Before BB, Shannahan was supposed to be the offensive genius, now its clearly BB. Being able to build a team and take over this division from BB would make him a legend.

More importantly, he is up in Buffalo...so he isnt going to have the National spotlight on him while righting the ship like he would in Dallas or Washington. Not to mention, the AFC East is a far easier division than the NFC East.

On top of all that, a coach of his caliber that wants a lot of control isnt going to enjoy dealing with meddling owners like Snyder and Jones. Even better, this team has a lot of young talent, is a couple pieces away from being competitive, and isnt in salary cap hell like other teams.

We are a lot more attractive to someone like Shannahan than a lot of people realize. If Ralph really does throw a big offer at him, I would be utterly shocked he doesnt take it.

The media sees a big name and assumes he wants to be in the big spotlight completely ignoring that the two biggest spotlights Dal and Was to likely have job openings have meddling owners and that these coaches that want control are not going to want to deal with that.

If Shanahan does come here and through some biblically catastrophic event manages to win a Super Bowl the man will not just be a coach, he will be A GOD! The people of Buffalo and Bills fans everywhere will throw themselves at his feet and beg to be touched by the hand of God.

All the other cities that are being discussed; Washington, Dallas, Chicago etc all have other **** going on. In Buffalo there is breathing air and the Bills. I'm not even sure if that order is correct, it might be the Bills then breathing. Buffalo is the Bills and a Super Bowl victory is the emotional equivalent of the rapture.

Can you imagine the parade................

Guys like Shanahan have a way they do things, and they DEMAND excellence.

Man would that be nice to see on this team. No more "good old nice guys" running an intramural ball club for other "nice guys who try really hard."

I think these young players we have would respond very well to a firm hand and a sense of direction, both of which have been severely lacking.

If Shanahan does come here and through some biblically catastrophic event manages to win a Super Bowl the man will not just be a coach, he will be A GOD! The people of Buffalo and Bills fans everywhere will throw themselves at his feet and beg to be touched by the hand of God.

All the other cities that are being discussed; Washington, Dallas, Chicago etc all have other **** going on. In Buffalo there is breathing air and the Bills. I'm not even sure if that order is correct, it might be the Bills then breathing. Buffalo is the Bills and a Super Bowl victory is the emotional equivalent of the rapture.

LOL That is the BEST post I have read in a LONG time! Also so true....

I will be moving to Manchester, England indefinitely early next year. But if the Bills manage to win a superbowl while I'm over there you can bet I'm flying to Buffalo for that party/parade...just think how many Bills fans outside Buffalo will flock up there for that magical experience. All the people who normally open up their homes for parking for the games would find themselves running bed & breakfasts real quick.

If Shanahan won here he would be considered the greatest coach ever in the NFL, hands down.

My one and only question for Shannahan is: "Do you still have the fire?" Big paychecks sometimes make for lazy people. See: Jason Peters. Shanny gets his money whether he wins a Super Bowl or goes 0-16.

PTR

PTR, this is certainly a valid point, however I think that this is the reason there are reports that Shanny is being offered partial ownership in the team. Then he's really hurting himself if he takes his check and then gets lazy.

Of course, this is my speculation based on the rumor of him being offered partial ownership. I could be wrong.

Mike T.

The problem is a 91 year owner and a team that will be sold to the highest bidder when he dies.

Shannahan loves the spotlight and has a huge ego

Shannahan does not want to start over rebuilding a team, he wants the blocks in place to win with good coaching

In the last 9 years, he has won 1 playoff game. His teams have finished out of the playoff 6 out of the last 9 years.

He has lost 3 wildcard games and was the coach of the worse collapse in NFL history last year.

He blew a 3 game lead with 5 to play.

His record is 146 - 98 and 8 - 5 in playoff games. If you take away the two super bowl years he is 2 - 5

i'm more than fine with hiring Shanahan. but no one is without flaws.....and here is a big one regarding shanahan......the denver broncos lead the entire nfl with the most "dead" money. as most of you know, "dead" money is the portion of a teams salary cap that is allotted to players who are no longer on the team. that is a sure indication of not doing a good job of evaluating talent. i happen to think that this is the single most important trait we need our GM to have.

He is getting paid now for doing nothing. I have seen no evidence that the guy does not have a fire for winning. Bring on the 2 time Super Bowl champ.

My one and only question for Shannahan is: "Do you still have the fire?" Big paychecks sometimes make for lazy people. See: Jason Peters. Shanny gets his money whether he wins a Super Bowl or goes 0-16.

PTR

2 cents from a Pats fan, Shanahan is the last guy I want the Bills to hire. Until he got fired he was the only active coach with a winning record against Brady (5-1) and Belichick(5-2)

That clinches it! The Bills need Shanahan. Let's hope this deal gets done.

I just don't want to see him as GM though.

What he said. I have never felt more bang on about a post.

i'm more than fine with hiring Shanahan. but no one is without flaws.....and here is a big one regarding shanahan......the denver broncos lead the entire nfl with the most "dead" money. as most of you know, "dead" money is the portion of a teams salary cap that is allotted to players who are no longer on the team. that is a sure indication of not doing a good job of evaluating talent. i happen to think that this is the single most important trait we need our GM to have.

Yes, that is one problem. And the reason he had this problem is because he does not do a good job evaluating defensive talent.

You are quite right in saying that the chance to turn this deadbeat franchise around has to be a powerful incentive for any man eager to cement his reputation as a football genius. The problem is that there are other deadbeat franchises, like Washington, where he would face a comparable challenge.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Bills hired on a guy (Shanahan) who was tied-in to the cheating (salary cap) ways of the Broncos during those tainted SB wins?

What would all of those * folks who forever denounce the "cheating" Patriots do to rationalize such a hiring? My guess is turn a blind, hypocritical eye.

The problem is a 91 year owner and a team that will be sold to the highest bidder when he dies.

Why is that a problem? If Shanahan has a contract it will have to be honored by the new owner. I would think having him as HC would make the Team more attractive to potential buyers than a Coach like say.........Dick Jauron.

Just had to agree, and say this is probably the best post I read this year!!!

Guest dog14787
2 cents from a Pats fan, Shanahan is the last guy I want the Bills to hire. Until he got fired he was the only active coach with a winning record against Brady (5-1) and Belichick(5-2)

I hear ya buddy,

Probably a big reason why the Bills are willing to offer Mike Shanahan a piece of the pie and also pay him 10 million a year for the next 5 years as it bakes in the oven.

Until we can beat the Pats, its all for not...

Wouldn't it be ironic if the Bills hired on a guy (Shanahan) who was tied-in to the cheating (salary cap) ways of the Broncos during those tainted SB wins?

What would all of those * folks who forever denounce the "cheating" Patriots do to rationalize such a hiring? My guess is turn a blind, hypocritical eye.

Alternatively, people could point out that whatever "cheating" may or may not have occurred with the Broncos does not in any way taint Bills wins.

Mike, I posted someting similar in another thread before I read this. Thanks for saying it better than I was able to. I believe that Shanahan wants to be a part of this and must weigh family considerations too. Why else would he accept an interview on Thanksgiving week?

The Denver Broncos are also a cold weather, old-line AFL team with a rabid fan base. When Shanahan took that job the Broncos were 0-4 in Super Bowls and suffered the stigma of "always being the bridesmaid". While Denver is bigger than Buffalo, the two cities are more relatively similar in terms of "glitz and sizzle" factors to one another than either is to, say, Washington, Dallas, or Chicago.

Side note: There is something to be said for the good fortune of tradition as it relates to the Dallas Cowboys brand establishment. The Cowboys are associated through their divisional rivalries with the major money and power markets of the east coast in New York, Washington, and Philadelphia, when they could have instead been tied to, say, New Orleans, Atlanta, and a couple of teams from the west coast. The Bills franchise has a very similar marketing position when you get right down to it (New York, Boston, and Miami); but, unlike the Cowboys, the Bills have never established a long haul track record of sustained success.

Wilson (who is not stupid) senses that the fans have had enough. Last year, he plunked down the cash to bring inT.O. and suck in the population again. Now, he knows even the elite single player acquisition will not be enough to placate the peasants. So he indicates he may be willing to pay big bucks to bring in a top notch coach. Suddenly, he is "a 91 year old owner hell-bent on a Super Bowl win?"

If you had been paying attention, you would have read the reports from all directions that Shanahan's resume was built on spending big bucks on assitants and players. For Shanahan to be a fit in Buffalo, Wilson would have to spend all the money he has made during the last decade by being a cheap date, to have a Shanahan-type team.

Mike is simply using the Bills to spark interest (and a bidding war) for him.

Uhh, perhaps because unlike the Spygate (and as yet unproven, but routinely surmised, worse) caper, the Broncos issues came from the front office's shenanigans in signing players, nothing to do with the coaching. Spygate (and said worse), on the other hand, originated directly from Belicheat himself......

PTR, this is certainly a valid point, however I think that this is the reason there are reports that Shanny is being offered partial ownership in the team. Then he's really hurting himself if he takes his check and then gets lazy.

Of course, this is my speculation based on the rumor of him being offered partial ownership. I could be wrong.

Mike T.

I'll just take proving Jerry Sullivan WRONG in addition to the success... boy I will laugh if Shanahan takes the Bills job.

Better watch who u r accepting as your God.

Wilson (who is not stupid) senses that the fans have had enough. Last year, he plunked down the cash to bring inT.O. and suck in the population again. Now, he knows even the elite single player acquisition will not be enough to placate the peasants. So he indicates he may be willing to pay big bucks to bring in a top notch coach. Suddenly, he is "a 91 year old owner hell-bent on a Super Bowl win?"

If you had been paying attention, you would have read the reports from all directions that Shanahan's resume was built on spending big bucks on assitants and players. For Shanahan to be a fit in Buffalo, Wilson would have to spend all the money he has made during the last decade by being a cheap date, to have a Shanahan-type team.

Mike is simply using the Bills to spark interest (and a bidding war) for him.

Of course he's trying to get the most money he can, wouldn't you? No one knows what kind of offer they're gonna give him, they are waiting till the end of the season anyway, but the fact that Shanahan and Russ Brandon met for 7 hours Monday night and Tuesday morning, and Adam Schefter of ESPN, who's a friend of Shanahans, talked to the Coach and quoted him as saying "We had an excellent meeting. I was really impressed with Russ Brandon and everything he had to say. We're going to stay in touch and see what develops." Why would he say anything about staying in touch, or that it was an excellent meeting unless it sounded intriging to him? Sounds like it could be a working relationship if they decide to keep Brandon...

Pasting this from a prediction thread I started this morning, that was closed by our genius moderators:

SHANAHAN IS A BILL...

Just having some fun trying to interpret the circumstances of the meeting this week, and the statement that Shanahan made when it was done. Bottom line, I think he and Russ hammered out a gentlemen's agreement that they cannot announce right away due to the Rooney rule. Follow me on this logic:

- I think most would agree that meeting for 7 hours, past midnight on the first day, is pretty meaningful in itself. But why stretch the meeting over TWO DAYS - is this a "sleep on it" kind of thing? If nothing else, it shows me that there were some pretty in-depth conversations taking place.

- Shanahan's description of the meeting as "excellent" and "productive" are very interesting word choices to me, in that they are much more than a perfunctory description. And, he stated that he was "impressed" with Brandon's presentation. If in the end Shanahan had intentions of going elsewhere, why would it serve his interests to be so effusive in his description of the meeting? I don't think it does - unless he's just naturally an extremely gracious guy. Now, some might say that Shanahan might have subtly hyped his meeting with Russ in an effort to entice another team to offer him an even better deal. I ask, is he really going to get a better deal than $10 MILLION A YEAR WITH FULL CONTROL OF THE FOOTBALL OPERATIONS? I doubt it.

- Shanahan said he and Russ will "stay in touch" and (paraphrasing here) "see what develops". This could mean several things but I believe this is the code phrase for, "we can't announce any results until the Bills have interviewed Fewell." Again, why did he feel it necessary to say they will stay in touch? I read this as his way of leaving the door open for a later announcement of a deal.

Call me crazy but I'm predicting right now that this is all but a done deal. OK, flame away...

Pasting this from a prediction thread I started this morning, that was closed by our genius moderators:

SHANAHAN IS A BILL...

Just having some fun trying to interpret the circumstances of the meeting this week, and the statement that Shanahan made when it was done. Bottom line, I think he and Russ hammered out a gentlemen's agreement that they cannot announce right away due to the Rooney rule. Follow me on this logic:

- I think most would agree that meeting for 7 hours, past midnight on the first day, is pretty meaningful in itself. But why stretch the meeting over TWO DAYS - is this a "sleep on it" kind of thing? If nothing else, it shows me that there were some pretty in-depth conversations taking place.

- Shanahan's description of the meeting as "excellent" and "productive" are very interesting word choices to me, in that they are much more than a perfunctory description. And, he stated that he was "impressed" with Brandon's presentation. If in the end Shanahan had intentions of going elsewhere, why would it serve his interests to be so effusive in his description of the meeting? I don't think it does - unless he's just naturally an extremely gracious guy. Now, some might say that Shanahan might have subtly hyped his meeting with Russ in an effort to entice another team to offer him an even better deal. I ask, is he really going to get a better deal than $10 MILLION A YEAR WITH FULL CONTROL OF THE FOOTBALL OPERATIONS? I doubt it.

- Shanahan said he and Russ will "stay in touch" and (paraphrasing here) "see what develops". This could mean several things but I believe this is the code phrase for, "we can't announce any results until the Bills have interviewed Fewell." Again, why did he feel it necessary to say they will stay in touch? I read this as his way of leaving the door open for a later announcement of a deal.

Call me crazy but I'm predicting right now that this is all but a done deal. OK, flame away...

or the more likley interpretation is that Shanhan will be using the Bills opportunity as leverage in negotiations with other clubs.

It does Shanahan zero good to shut down the Bills at this time, even if he has zero interest in their potential offer, hates Brandon and thinks Ralph is a senile meddling old codger.

of course, he is going to say what he said

I will believe Ralph will pay $10+ mil for a coach when they produce the signed contract.

Whatever they pay will be wasted if they don't gut the front office as well.

Furthermore, Shanahan had posted the most wins in pro football history in a two-year period (33 from 1997-98). He'll want to wrest the record back from the team that surpassed his record (New England won 34 from 2003-04).

SHANAHAN IS A BILL...

You know what it means? It means Shanahan and Brandon met. It means the Bills have expressed interest, and Shanahan was interested enough to hear what the Bills had to say. Unless you hear details from Brandon or Shanahan, any posts on what happened and what you can read into the meeting are pure mental masturbation. And all threads speculating "I think it's a done deal" or "no way Shanahan will ever coach in Buffalo" are all bull **** and a waste of time.

I'm pretty sure he's been a pain in Manning's ass as well. Thanks for the post, because I was curious about that.

You know what it means? It means Shanahan and Brandon met. It means the Bills have expressed interest, and Shanahan was interested enough to hear what the Bills had to say. Unless you hear details from Brandon or Shanahan, any posts on what happened and what you can read into the meeting are pure mental masturbation. And all threads speculating "I think it's a done deal" or "no way Shanahan will ever coach in Buffalo" are all bull **** and a waste of time.

So if prediction threads (posts?) are a waste of time, what are posts that COMMENT on prediction posts?

Why get mad about what I posted? Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.