I'm stuck!

Fezmid

So I woke up this morning, pressed the magic garage door opener button, the door lifts a couple of inches, and then reverses and goes back down... :thumbsup:

I tried holding the button down as a "reset" (read that online), nothing...

I tried helping it up when pressing the button, nothing...

I pulled the string that's supposed to be the emergency release, and the door weighs about 100000 pounds and I can't move it more than an inch, and when I let go it SLAMS down...

I'm stuck! :P

We did hear a loud noise in the house last night and didn't know what it was. I wonder if it was some spring or something that broke. I never really looked very closely at our garage door opener to know what it was supposed to look like in a "good" configuration. :nana:

The light beams have to be aligned.

Wouldn't I still be able to pull the emergency release and open the door manually though? I'm thinking it's a tension thing with the springs, since I can't lift it and it slams down HARD when I try doing it manually.

There should be a pull cord near the control box. Pull it, and it will release the motor drive and allow you to lift the door manually.

Good luck.

Yeah, I tried that:

"I pulled the string that's supposed to be the emergency release, and the door weighs about 100000 pounds and I can't move it more than an inch, and when I let go it SLAMS down..."

That's why I think it might be a spring/tension issue of some sort.

Before you get a repairman, you might want to see what it would cost to replace the door. A new door comes with the springs and all new hardware. If it's only a few hundred more, you might be better off replacing the door with a lightweight one.

I thought about that, but since we live in a townhome, the doors need to look the same and I don't want to go through the trouble. The guy called us back and said it'll be $169 to replace the springs -- not great, but they are 7.5 years old, so I guess...

I'd like to replace the actual door opener as well - the builder used a cheap, noisy 1/3HP chain opener and everything I've read said it should be 1/2HP. Cheapass builder. I think I'd like the screw one as well, as it's supposed to be a little quieter and more reliable.

Sounds to me like a spring broke. That's why it's so heavy.

You should call a professional. With all the torque on those springs and cables, that's a good way to lose a finger if you don't know what you are doing.

Yep. I agree. I heard they only last about 7 or 8 years too. They're kind of expensive to replace though... about $170.

I'm sorry but the boss ain't buying it. Get your lazy ass into work!

I was working from home -- VPNs are your friend (or enemy, depending on how you look at it).

Dan was right on - cost me $170 to get it replaced. However, this one is supposed to last 20-30 years, and has a lifetime warranty, so that's good (depending on what the fine print of the warranty says, of course).

I'm now at work, crisis averted :pirate:

I was working from home -- VPNs are your friend (or enemy, depending on how you look at it).

Dan was right on - cost me $170 to get it replaced. However, this one is supposed to last 20-30 years, and has a lifetime warranty, so that's good (depending on what the fine print of the warranty says, of course).

I'm now at work, crisis averted :lol:

Damn you need to work on that hookie thing.

"Boss, you'll never believe what happened. The power went out and I can't get the garage door opened so I'm stuck. I'd work from home but I can't with no power." And off to the golf course you go. :pirate:

Damn you need to work on that hookie thing.

"Boss, you'll never believe what happened. The power went out and I can't get the garage door opened so I'm stuck. I'd work from home but I can't with no power." And off to the golf course you go. :pirate:

:lol: :lol:

There was a murder in my neighborhood several years back and they blocked everything off so I couldn't get to work. That was the happiest I've ever been to hear that one of my neighbors had been offed.

Saying "happiest" implies that you've had murders in your neighborhood before. If true, then YIKES!

There was a murder in my neighborhood several years back and they blocked everything off so I couldn't get to work. That was the happiest I've ever been to hear that one of my neighbors had been offed.

I live at the end of a no outlet road. Every storm that blows through I have my fingers crossed one of the giant trees along it will topple.

If you heard a loud noise and you can't get the door open, at least one spring broke (I'm assuming it's a double door). If it is a double door, have them replace BOTH springs because the second spring is all but guaranteed to break in the next year.

In the future, make sure you keep everything that moves lubricated properly.

Wouldn't I still be able to pull the emergency release and open the door manually though? I'm thinking it's a tension thing with the springs, since I can't lift it and it slams down HARD when I try doing it manually.

My light beams were not alligned last year. I was still able to open the garage by holding down the garage door opener button(instead of just hitting it once). So that is not your problem.

If you heard a loud noise and you can't get the door open, at least one spring broke (I'm assuming it's a double door). If it is a double door, have them replace BOTH springs because the second spring is all but guaranteed to break in the next year.

In the future, make sure you keep everything that moves lubricated properly.

He replaced 'em both. :sick:

He also explained where to spray the WD40 -- I had never done it in 7.5 years, but now I know.

They really need a "new home owners" book that talks about what routine maintenance you're supposed to do around a house... If they don't have one yet, I should write it... If I knew what to do! :lol:

I'm now at work, crisis averted :lol:

As you said, the builder did it on the cheap. If you live in an especially humid location, the springs will give out sooner. Since that may have happened, there's also a sensor up there that may give out due to humidity.

Is your Garage Door the insulated type? That helps moderate the temps in the Garage, and depending where it's located, relative to your living area, could help your energy bills for the house.

The $170 was probably money well spent. Springs can be dangerous and are generally not a good do it yourself project.

He replaced 'em both. :D

He also explained where to spray the WD40 -- I had never done it in 7.5 years, but now I know.

They really need a "new home owners" book that talks about what routine maintenance you're supposed to do around a house... If they don't have one yet, I should write it... If I knew what to do! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Owners-Manual-I...g/dp/1594741034

The review says it's more funny than anything.

My wife and I were thinking of a book that talks about stuff you need to do and why... And then has a maintenance schedule like you get when you buy a new car, so you can check things off when you complete them.

"Year 0, month 1: Replace furnace filter"

"Year 0, month 9: Replace furnace filter, empty and clean water heater, oil garage door springs."

"Year 0, month 12: Replace furnace filter, clean air ducts, inspect furnace."

Something like that.