Finally .. The Real Problem Comes to Light

Gugny

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure about this? I've seen two QBs picked in the first round last year this season. We all know what "Sanchize" did against us. And on Sunday I saw Stafford (1st pick in last year's draft) throw 5 interceptions against the 2-5 Seahawks.

I want no part of a first round QB. Too risky. Get a vet and let's get better now. I'm tired of baby sitting snot nose rookie QBs while they "develop" or not.

Let's take a look at the first round QB's taken in the last 6 drafts, since the Bills rolled the dice on Lost-man:

2009:

Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman.

2008:

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were the two QB's taken in 2008's first round. The third QB taken in '08 was Chad Henne in the 2nd round

2007:

JaMacus Russell and Brady Quinn.

2006:

Vince Young, Matt Leinert & Jay Cutler.

2005:

Alex Smith, Aaron Rogers, & Jason Campbell.

2004:

Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Rothlesberger and J.P. Lost-man.

So you a Bills fan, "wants no part of a first round QB - too risky." It is understandable. Of all the QB's drafted in round one in the past 6 NFL drafts, Lost-man is the only one playing in the UFL today. But we as fans cannot do anything about Donahoe and his guys making that idiotic pick, trading back into the first round no less, back in '04.

But look at the teams that have settled their QB position from those drafts the past 6 years:

1) Steelers - 2 SB wins under Big Ben.

2) Giants - 1 SB win under Eli.

3) Chargers - Pro Bowl QB in Rivers, got them into last years' AFC Championship game.

4) Packers - took a couple years, but Rogers is now the man in GB.

5) Bears - traded for Pro Bowl QB Cutler from Denver.

6) Falcons - Matt Ryan has easily made everyone forget the dog killer in Atlanta.

7) Ravens - After never having a real QB, even when the won the SB (Trent Dilfer??) Baltimore seems pretty set with Flacco.

8) Broncos - Came away with Kyle Orton in the Cutler trade, and he seems to be a perfect fit for McDanials offense.

Teams that still may benefit from their picks:

1) Titans - Vince Young is back starting again, and maybe he has grown up enough to continue what he started a couple years ago.

2) Cardinals - Matt Leinert is still backing up Warner, who can't play forever.

3) Jets - Sanchez looks like he will be a star in a year or two.

4) Bucs - Josh Freeman had a great first game and may grow into the QB of the future for Tampa.

5) Lions - Stafford is really struggling this season, but the Lions need a lot around him to give him a real chance.

6) Browns - Brady Quinn can still win the job there and grow into an NFL starter.

Teams That Busted Out With Their First Round Picks:

1) Buffalo - Lost-mans out of the NFL already.

2) Oakland - Man Russell really sucks, doesn't he??

3) Washington - Campbell doesn't look like he can remain a starter in the NFL.

Here's my final point. Look at the overall records of the top 8 teams above, who ended up with quality QB's out of those 6 drafts, compared to the overall records of the other 9 teams that ended up with unproven QB's or busts. I think it tells us that the the best organizations, including team GM and all scouts, seem to find the best rookie QB's trade for the best veteran QB's year in and year out, and it is always the lousy teams that draft the lousy QB's.

That' sad. From a guy that usually spews the company line, that actually says a lot. He can't talk to the O-linemen when he's the starter? No wonder they aren't on the same page, he should be talking to everyone. The RB's, WR's, OL and even the defense for suggestions. Yet game after game, you see him on the sideline by himself when not on the field. He's just not a leader, very sad...

Maybe he was a Bills fan last year and wants to be one again.

I like a good O-line myself personally, behind one, Rodgers could be an elite QB in this league.

Exactly...Rodgers would go from very good to an elite QB with a good O-line. The problem is that Trent would go from bad to not as bad with a good O-line. A good QB is still good with a bad line. It's not like the pass blocking breaks down on every single play for the Bills, Trent has had time to throw at times. There should be a huge difference in his decisions when he has time as opposed to when he is blitzed, but there isn't...

I dunno I somehow feel like Rivers,Roethlisburger,Brees,Rodgers, guys like that would still find a way to have success behind our O line. You know guys who are actually ahhh talented. I heard being talented really helps at this whole football thing.

OK...now couple our Oline with an unimaginative offensive scheme...and a conservative headcoach...

Nope. i don't think any of those guys would have success on this team.

Maybe it's because it's late in the day, but I'm having a hard time finding the sarcasm in this post. Please tell me it's dripping with sarcasm and that I'm just missing it. And while you're at it, let us all know which team Trent Edwards led to wins.

I was referring to the team that went 5-1 early in the season...that's all, nothing else. He was clearly bad after that, so I don't think he would have been talking about the 2-8 finish.

Sorry I didn't spell it out in great detail. :lol:

OK...now couple our Oline with an unimaginative offensive scheme...and a conservative headcoach...

Or concievably maybe our Offensive scheme is unimaginitive because our QB's suck.

And a new OC every year. None of them any good. I don't know if TE has any potential. He may very well be useless but I'm not sure it's fair to compare him to Rogers. Every person is different and some can handle situations better than others. I just think that any qb in Buffalo the last few seasons would start out with a 0-2 count.

What?

Allow me to enlighten you...

This is Trent's Stanford bio scroll down to "Getting to know Trent Edwards".

There you will see this...

Favorite Actresses: Dakota Fanning

Trent was 23 years old at the time. Dakota Fanning was... wait for it... 12. How the !@#$ is a 23 year old Division 1 starting quarterback even aware of a 12 year old actress :lol: ? How is it that a college senior has seen not only 1 but enough of her movies to name her as his favorite actress :sick: ??

Trent thinks he was good last year ... ummm, no.

"It's just a matter of taking everything in that you can," he said. "Seeing what Ryan is doing well and trying to learn from him and talking to O-linemen on the side and seeing what calls they like to make. You don't normally get to do that when you're the starter. You see a lot more things when you're sitting on the sidelines. So there are some things I picked up that will hopefully allow me to get back to where I was last season."

i would say i am not a trent supporter, but i think he has the ability to be a solid NFL qb still..

that said - i looked at his college stats - only 1 300yd passing game. blew my mind. granted he was hurt a ton behind that o-line, but thats nutz. BUT.... he had a TON more long TD throws. even if half of them were check downs, he was throwing a lot more down field. either our line or this coaching staff or his concussions is causing him to not take shots anymore.

Trent was 23 years old at the time. Dakota Fanning was... wait for it... 12. How the !@#$ is a 23 year old Division 1 starting quarterback even aware of a 12 year old actress :lol: ? How is it that a college senior has seen not only 1 but enough of her movies to name her as his favorite actress :sick: ??

she's a family friend

Yup, last stand, whatever,

Any starting QB in the league will struggle behind our O-line, does that simple fact just not register with some of you.

Dude, you just need to stop posting. You have got to be the most incompetent people posting on this board.

Guest dog14787
Dude, you just need to stop posting. You have got to be the most incompetent people posting on this board.

It seems like personal insults are at the top of your agenda, something typical of the most incompetent fools on this board.

I don't care what you think about me and I don't imagine other folks care so why don't you post something useful or don't post at all.

Guest dog14787

Its been obvious the Bills Rookie O-line has been a work in progress. The goings been tough, but with every game our O-line gains in experience and confidence. The Buffalo Bills also have another work in progress, a young rookie by the name of Shawn Nelson. At 6-5 the 240 lbs play making TE out of Southern Mississippi is big, he's fast and he's dangerous.

Part of the solution comes to light in Shawn Nelson...

Let's take a look at the first round QB's taken in the last 6 drafts, since the Bills rolled the dice on Lost-man: . . .

Here's my final point. Look at the overall records of the top 8 teams above, who ended up with quality QB's out of those 6 drafts, compared to the overall records of the other 9 teams that ended up with unproven QB's or busts. I think it tells us that the the best organizations, including team GM and all scouts, seem to find the best rookie QB's trade for the best veteran QB's year in and year out, and it is always the lousy teams that draft the lousy QB's.

Great post! :lol:

Just to add to what you've written: first-rate QBs in their primes almost never hit free agency. Yeah, there's always the Drew Brees example. But that was a few years ago. What quarterbacks since then have a) hit free agency, b) have been in their primes, c) have performed at the level of the nine success stories you found?

Unless your defense is as good as that of the Ravens of 2000, you're going to need a real QB to win the Super Bowl. Getting a real QB generally means drafting one--usually in the first round.

That said, this may not be a very good draft for quarterbacks. From a purely tactical perspective, the Bills might be better served by using their first round pick on a LT, and waiting until the first round of 2011 to draft the QB.

That' sad. From a guy that usually spews the company line, that actually says a lot. He can't talk to the O-linemen when he's the starter? No wonder they aren't on the same page, he should be talking to everyone. The RB's, WR's, OL and even the defense for suggestions. Yet game after game, you see him on the sideline by himself when not on the field. He's just not a leader, very sad...

He's just talking about having more time. Usually now when he's on the sidelines, the coaches are talking to him or he's talking to Hamdan. Now, he's got time to get around a bit more and see the big picture. It's all very reasonable, and in fact hopeful that he sees this and is using the chance.

Does that mean all will be well? Who knows, but there's always a chance.

And I'm sure he meant to how well he was playing at the beginning of the year last year.

Nah, everybody drafts bad QBs a certain portion of the time. But out of the SB winners of the last ten years, how many drafted their QB rather than picking up an FA? Almost all of them. Roethlesberger. Brady. Eli. Peyton. Elway.

Dilfer and Warner, I think were the only FAs. It's just a better idea. Especially when the pool of FAs looks like it does presently. There's nobody good out there.

People like to say that drafting a first-round QB is risky, but the fact is that committing yourself to any QB, regardless of how you get him, is risky. What you do is use the method that has the highest rate of success, and that would be drafting a QB early.

Or concievably maybe our Offensive scheme is unimaginitive because our QB's suck.

Our offensive scheme is unimaginative because our OLs are extremely young and untried and when we try anything very new and unusual we get lots of false starts and illegal formation penalties.

Um, who cares?

If he'd listed her as a big crush, that would be different, but a favorite actress ... fine.

I Am Sam. Man On Fire. War of the Worlds. It would not be hard to be aware of her, at any age.

Rodgers is playing behind a MUCH WORSE O-line in Greenbay. He does not look like crap!!!! I wonder how many sacks Trent would take behind that Packer line. I would bet many more than Rodgers has.

Not even close. Our OL is considerably worse than Green Bay's.

Take a look at the rankings on profootballfocus.com. The players are ranked in order. 34 centers are ranked. Hangartner comes in dead last. 74 guards are ranked and Levitre comes in 68th. All 3 Packers who have played guard ranked well above Wood and Levitre. 74 tackles are ranked and Bell comes in dead last. GB is fairly even up with Buffalo at tackle except for Bell, who falls way behind everyone else.

It's not comparable. GB's line is much better than ours.

One thing to note, though, is that before he went on IR, Butler was ranked somewhere around 12th among all tackles. He was about our only bright spot this year.

GB center Wells: 18

Hangartner: 34/34.

GB guard Sitton: 8

GB guard College: 31

GB guard Spitz: 37

Wood: 51

Levitre: 68/74

GB tackle Lang: 57

GB tackle College: 62

GB tackle Barbre: 64

J. Scott: 59

D. Bell: 74/74

Um, who cares?

If he'd listed her as a big crush, that would be different, but a favorite actress ... fine.

I Am Sam. Man On Fire. War of the Worlds. It would not be hard to be aware of her, at any age.

All I can say is the last time I thought about 12 year old girls was when I was 13.

Not even close. Our OL is considerably worse than Green Bay's.

Take a look at the rankings on profootballfocus.com. The players are ranked in order. 34 centers are ranked. Hangartner comes in dead last. 74 guards are ranked and Levitre comes in 68th. All 3 Packers who have played guard ranked well above Wood and Levitre. 74 tackles are ranked and Bell comes in dead last. GB is fairly even up with Buffalo at tackle except for Bell, who falls way behind everyone else.

It's not comparable. GB's line is much better than ours.

One thing to note, though, is that before he went on IR, Butler was ranked somewhere around 12th among all tackles. He was about our only bright spot this year.

GB center Wells: 18

Hangartner: 34/34.

GB guard Sitton: 8

GB guard College: 31

GB guard Spitz: 37

Wood: 51

Levitre: 68/74

GB tackle Lang: 57

GB tackle College: 62

GB tackle Barbre: 64

J. Scott: 59

D. Bell: 74/74

The player rankings are pretty weak. It's not a good indicator as to how a unit plays as a whole. Green Bay is on pace to give up a ridiculous number of sacks, and even contend for the record. Our line is bad but not historically bad.

Um, who cares?

So true. Plus it shows he had matured a lot. On his freshman profile he listed "Dory from Finding Nemo" as his favorite actress. "Sandy the Squirrell" took the honors in his sophomore and Junior years.

Our offensive scheme is unimaginative because our OLs are extremely young and untried and when we try anything very new and unusual we get lots of false starts and illegal formation penalties.

This is the NFL, expect the unexpected. That's poor coaching.

My problem with Trent is not his ability or potential, I think he has both. My problem is that he's become the "company lackey" consistently toting whatever BS the coaching staff (ie: Jauron) is putting out there. And I don't think he leads his teammates real well or motivates them to play at a higher level. He needs to put more urgency into his game or his career is going to quickly fade.

Maybe he is still concussed. Two of the better performances in his career were the first two games this year. :lol:

I'm reverting back to high school mathematics and hoping that a double negative will make a positive.

I am guessing he meant "...hopefully allow me to get back to where I was last season (BEFORE the concussion sustained in the Arizona game)."

He played against some horrible teams in that short span. Still, now he is bad against even the horrible teams. I guess his new plan is to hope to be decent against the worst teams. That's ambitious.

Guest dog14787
That has been my hope, but I do not think that same logic applies to concussions.

Trent Edwards for better or worse will start throwing the ball down field more in my opinion. Edwards has always been a team comes first kind of guy and is one of the reasons he refuses to take big risks with the football. I believe by now though Trent is beginning to realize he is thinking to much into it and he needs to rely more on instincts and just let it fly. Kids got a decent arm, his accuracy is good and he's smart, maybe even to smart, at least on the football field.

I know you guys get tired of hearing me try to defend my QB, our QB, but just like Losman, Edwards has done everything he can to help our ball club win.

Is TE the future of the Buffalo Bills, I don't even know anymore myself personally, but he is our QB right now and I will continue to back him up and try to defend him as long as he is because I know Trent Edwards has his heart in the right place and he loves his Football team just like we do and would do anything he could to help and protect it.

Oddly enough, the concussions may actually help TE become a better QB in the long run providing he stops getting them.

Trent Edwards for better or worse will start throwing the ball down field more in my opinion. Edwards has always been a team comes first kind of guy and is one of the reasons he refuses to take big risks with the football. I believe by now though Trent is beginning to realize he is thinking to much into it and he needs to rely more on instincts and just let it fly. Kids got a decent arm, his accuracy is good and he's smart, maybe even to smart, at least on the football field.

I know you guys get tired of hearing me try to defend my QB, our QB, but just like Losman, Edwards has done everything he can to help our ball club win.

Is TE the future of the Buffalo Bills, I don't even know anymore myself personally, but he is our QB right now and I will continue to back him up and try to defend him as long as he is because I know Trent Edwards has his heart in the right place and he loves his Football team just like we do and would do anything he could to help and protect it.

Oddly enough, the concussions may actually help TE become a better QB in the long run providing he stops getting them.

Trent is a MY stats first kind of guy, that is the reason he checks down for no reason all the time.

What makes you think Trent loves the Bills? IMO it is just a job for him, nothing more. I don't think he even loves football all that much let alone the Bills. He has stated that he doesn't watch football & is not a Bills fan. I think he would love to protect his JOB but that's it.

How can concussions help ANY QB become better? See Trent Green.

she's a family friend
Oh. Tell her I said "Hi" and stay away from Trent Edwards.

Dude. I'm not exactly enamored with Edwards myself. Unless he significantly improves the quality of his play, I'd be all in favor of the Bills using a first round pick on a QB. (Assuming, of course, that there's a guy worth taking when we pick. No more reaches, please!!!)

So I can understand your disappointment in Edwards. I can even see where seeing Dakota Fanning in his profile would raise some question marks. But if she's a family friend--someone he knows personally--then it's different.

Dude. I'm not exactly enamored with Edwards myself. Unless he significantly improves the quality of his play, I'd be all in favor of the Bills using a first round pick on a QB. (Assuming, of course, that there's a guy worth taking when we pick. No more reaches, please!!!)

So I can understand your disappointment in Edwards. I can even see where seeing Dakota Fanning in his profile would raise some question marks. But if she's a family friend--someone he knows personally--then it's different.

I would say that makes it even creepier. Do you think he hangs Teen Magazine posters of Dakota on his walls at home. Has Trent ever been linked to a relationship with a woman his own age?

Guest dog14787
I would say that makes it even creepier. Do you think he hangs Teen Magazine posters of Dakota on his walls at home. Has Trent ever been linked to a relationship with a woman his own age?

Come on you guys, his family knows Dakota personally and this talk about TE not being a Bills fan is not even true.

Trent Edwards was asked to answer a question from a fans perspective, TE replied he is not a Bills fan and couldn't answer the question properly( not in exact words). Good grief, is it really that hard to for you guys to comprehend. Go watch the interview again.

Guest dog14787
Trent is a MY stats first kind of guy, that is the reason he checks down for no reason all the time.

What makes you think Trent loves the Bills? IMO it is just a job for him, nothing more. I don't think he even loves football all that much let alone the Bills. He has stated that he doesn't watch football & is not a Bills fan. I think he would love to protect his JOB but that's it.

How can concussions help ANY QB become better? See Trent Green.

Stop spreading stuff that's not even true and don't you think that getting a concussion might help convince you to get rid of the ball quicker, it would me.

Edwards could care less about his stats, its all about winning to him.

total times thrown for over 300 yards in the NFL: zero.

total times thrown for over 300 yards in the NCAA: zero.

300 yards of throwing does not guarantee wins.....The Bills need to have a balanced offense and not put everything on Trents shoulders...The running game has to take the pressure of the passing offense for it to be successful.