The UFL can't catch a break in NY

Albany,n.y.

The New York Sentinals have 3 home games. The 1st was last Thursday in Giants Stadium. Game 2 of the World Series was in NY that night. They announced the crowd over 10,000 , with the NY Post writing it was closer to 1,000. Tonight they play a game at Hofstra in Hempstead, that was relocated from Citifield to get a smaller stadium. Now it's game 6 in NY. Their 2 NY metro games both went head to head with the Phillies @ Yankees in the World Series. They would have been much better off moving those 2 games to Friday each week to avoid the World Series. Their 3rd home game is in East Hartford, Connecticut. On top of that the Sentinals are the worst team in the UFL. I doubt that any of this is what the UFL planned for their NY franchise.

The New York Sentinals have 3 home games. The 1st was last Thursday in Giants Stadium. Game 2 of the World Series was in NY that night. They announced the crowd over 10,000 , with the NY Post writing it was closer to 1,000. Tonight they play a game at Hofstra in Hempstead, that was relocated from Citifield to get a smaller stadium. Now it's game 6 in NY. Their 2 NY metro games both went head to head with the Phillies @ Yankees in the World Series. They would have been much better off moving those 2 games to Friday each week to avoid the World Series. Their 3rd home game is in East Hartford, Connecticut. On top of that the Sentinals are the worst team in the UFL. I doubt that any of this is what the UFL planned for their NY franchise.

I don't think it matters much I think the UFL is done after this year any way.The whole league is a joke.

Dare I say it, Losman looks *good*. Of course this is NOT the NFL, that's for sure...

Still, it's interesting to hear the coach talk to the QB right before plays and whatnot. Maybe in some bizarroland world next year we'll decide to hire Fassel and he'll bring Losman back to Buffalo. Head's would explode!

what do you mean they cant catch a break? its not like it just happened to work out this way, the dates for the world series games were already set so it wasnt that they couldnt catch a break their planning was just horrible

Yes, that probably cost them about 100 more in attendance...I doubt many care about anything the UFL does...

Good lord the UFL is run by morons. They decided to run their inaugural schedule during the most sports-dense part of the year - hockey, NFL, NCAA football, basketball and the freaking World Series? Who's going to watch some minor league game? spring/summer league is completely the way to go. Put on football games while NFL fans are looking for something to do after the season.

Good lord the UFL is run by morons. They decided to run their inaugural schedule during the most sports-dense part of the year - hockey, NFL, NCAA football, basketball and the freaking World Series? Who's going to watch some minor league game? spring/summer league is completely the way to go. Put on football games while NFL fans are looking for something to do after the season.

Consider the pedigree...

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61480

1,000 people in Giants Stadium???

Maybe if they put JP in NY instead of Vegas, those numbers might've doubled. :thumbsup:

I turned on a LV game about a week ago to see JP play. I kid you not. On the only snap I watched, he fumbled the ball on the snap and had to dive to the ground to cover it. He lost about 7 yards on the play.

That said, the first thought I had was "is this a practice?" because there were so few people in the stands. I had to rationalize that out. You know. Why would they practice against each other in a stadium?

The XFL had better attendance!

On top of that the Sentinals are the worst team in the UFL.

That statement says so much.

Why are you commenting at all about whether the UFL isn't getting a break?

As someone above said, the XFL was a far better product.

UFL has to be the dumbest professional sports concept ever.

That statement says so much.

Why are you commenting at all about whether the UFL isn't getting a break?

As someone above said, the XFL was a far better product.

UFL has to be the dumbest professional sports concept ever.

Not quite. From a concept standpoint, it is very valid because the NFL still does not have a minor league and it's been proven over and over that developmental leagues can provide quality talent for the major leagues. The biggest problem for football is that it's a very high fixed cost business and no one has been able to come up with a viable business model to make it work.

The best possibility was NFL's backing of WLAF/NFL Europe, but it was a mistake to bring a minor league overseas. A better bet would be to set up a minor league in the US, and play in the spring.

Not quite. From a concept standpoint, it is very valid because the NFL still does not have a minor league and it's been proven over and over that developmental leagues can provide quality talent for the major leagues. The biggest problem for football is that it's a very high fixed cost business and no one has been able to come up with a viable business model to make it work.

The best possibility was NFL's backing of WLAF/NFL Europe, but it was a mistake to bring a minor league overseas. A better bet would be to set up a minor league in the US, and play in the spring.

The concept of a professional footbal league to compete for fans' interest in the fall was doomed, fatally flawed, idiotic.

To suggest that the NFL needs a developmental league is to ignore the entire history of the league and its relationship with college football. Every year, the league has it's pick and choose of all of the nation's young college football talent.

The UFL is filled with guys who the NFL either passed over or threw out--all for the same reason: they suck. NFL Europe was not a pipeline to the NFL and wouldn't have been if they played in the US.

The biggest problem for football is that it's a very high fixed cost business and no one has been able to come up with a viable business model to make it work

Well, gee---almost no one.

I still doubt it would succeed, but I'm with you. The XFL made the silly decision to play their games right after the NFL season, when everyone had just gotten done watching the Super Bowl, and now the UFL made an even worse scheduling move. I know that I at least don't have any interest in watching more football for a while after the end of the NFL season. Right around May/June/July would seem like an ideal time to try to attract people who love football and would put up with a lower level of play just to see some.

The concept of a professional footbal league to compete for fans' interest in the fall was doomed, fatally flawed, idiotic.

To suggest that the NFL needs a developmental league is to ignore the entire history of the league and its relationship with college football. Every year, the league has it's pick and choose of all of the nation's young college football talent.

The UFL is filled with guys who the NFL either passed over or threw out--all for the same reason: they suck. NFL Europe was not a pipeline to the NFL and wouldn't have been if they played in the US.

You can use the word pipeline, which I never did. There's a big difference between pipeline and development. Other sports also use colleges for the pipeline of players, yet they also have the minor leagues to develop players who are late bloomers. There is a definite need for NFL to establish a league like that, but it would be very expensive. Every time they've tried it in the past, they failed because they attached the wrong concept to it and tried to make it bigger than what it should be. If you set up a proper 6-8 team minor league football in late spring, it would work.

Well, gee---almost no one.

No idea of what you mean by this. Won't be the first time.

I'd say you have two options - spring league in football-mad cities without hockey or basketball teams, or a summer league in cities without baseball teams. Summer really may be too brief to shoot the gap between the NBA Finals/Stanley Cup and the preseason. Would you watch a minor league championship over an NFL preseason game?

The AAFL seems to have fallen apart, but it sounds like a better idea to me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_American_Football_League

Notable, but non-NFL worthy college players playing for teams grouped by state. I'm not a big college football guy, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

The UFL can't even get people to go to these games for free. Outside of a commons shopping centre in NJ off rt 3 around where I live there were people giving away free UFL tickets, and having trouble doing so. When the best player in your league is Brooks Bollinger it's going to be difficult to market.

The UFL can't even get people to go to these games for free. Outside of a commons shopping centre in NJ off rt 3 around where I live there were people giving away free UFL tickets, and having trouble doing so. When the best player in your league is Brooks Bollinger it's going to be difficult to market.

Which in itself is bizarre. Please don't tell me they were giving tix away in Clifton for a game played on Long Island?

Minor league football could succeed, but not the way the UFL is doing it. 3 of the 4 franchises are too close to NFL cities or in them. Why would anyone from SF or NY where they already have 2 NFL teams, go to a UFL game besides out of sheer curiosity? Orlando isn't far enough away from Tampa & to make matters worse, they schedule a game at St. Petersburg, right down the road from Tampa Bay. The only place that isn't exposed to the NFL is Las Vegas.

You can use the word pipeline, which I never did. There's a big difference between pipeline and development. Other sports also use colleges for the pipeline of players, yet they also have the minor leagues to develop players who are late bloomers. There is a definite need for NFL to establish a league like that, but it would be very expensive. Every time they've tried it in the past, they failed because they attached the wrong concept to it and tried to make it bigger than what it should be. If you set up a proper 6-8 team minor league football in late spring, it would work.

The NFL and its history absolutely disagree with this bolded statement. They have made it clear that they do not need such a league--it should be obvious that if they thought it was a good idea, they would (re)form one. "Other sports" such as baseball and hockey (small roster sports) do not have the equivalent of NCAA football in size and scope. Besides, these sports do NOT get the majority of their players from college--they get them from all over the world.

Exactly what concept are you envisioning--one that would be a valuable product to fans or one which would serve simply as a "D league" to develop players? The NFL had the latter in Europe. It was not popular and clearly the NFL decided it had no value as a develpomental league. The NBA has a D league----it's useless as a money maker and has little impact on NBA rosters.

There is no reason to believe that Americans will support second class pro football on stadium scale. The Xfl and all the varieties of indoor football have gone belly up--and it's not because they were playing in the fall.

No idea of what you mean by this. Won't be the first time.

Really? "No idea"? Can't figure this one out? Reread your quote that I am responding to. I would suggest to you (to help you out) that the NFL has actually come up with a "viable business model to make it ['professional football'] work".

And their business model, in fact, is the reason that no other one will succeed.

It's not that tough, is it?

Let me know if I should type slower or in bigger font for you to comprehend?

The NFL and its history absolutely disagree with this bolded statement. They have made it clear that they do not need such a league--it should be obvious that if they thought it was a good idea, they would (re)form one. "Other sports" such as baseball and hockey (small roster sports) do not have the equivalent of NCAA football in size and scope. Besides, these sports do NOT get the majority of their players from college--they get them from all over the world.

Exactly what concept are you envisioning--one that would be a valuable product to fans or one which would serve simply as a "D league" to develop players? The NFL had the latter in Europe. It was not popular and clearly the NFL decided it had no value as a develpomental league. The NBA has a D league----it's useless as a money maker and has little impact on NBA rosters.

There is no reason to believe that Americans will support second class pro football on stadium scale. The Xfl and all the varieties of indoor football have gone belly up--and it's not because they were playing in the fall.

You still can't get the difference between pipeline and development. Even though the other leagues have a wider sourcing of players, they still have developmental leagues for the players. The two are related, but not correlated.

The NFL history is replete with efforts to have a source of player development for not ready for prime time players. Maybe you can educate me on where the term "taxi squad" came from.

The NFL has tried to come up with the concept of a developmental league for the last 15 years, so I haven't a clue of what you're talking about that the league doesn't think there's value in it. The main reason the efforts have failed is that the owners don't want to foot the high cost of starting up such a league, and the previous efforts were doomed because the ambitions were high.

Let me repeat in bold and big font

The failure of the NFL to establish a minor league is not due to the fact that it's not needed, but due to the hope of NFL owners that someone else should carry the cost for them.

But a viable model can work if you recognize that it is strictly a minor league product, just like people going to Bisons games don't have an illusion that they are going to a MLB outing. Why is that concept so difficult to grasp

The minor league can work, especially when you marry the AAFL concept of targeting college crazy towns with NFL development.

Really? "No idea"? Can't figure this one out? Reread your quote that I am responding to. I would suggest to you (to help you out) that the NFL has actually come up with a "viable business model to make it ['professional football'] work".

And their business model, in fact, is the reason that no other one will succeed.

It's not that tough, is it?

I think anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension would understand that the "viable business model" I was referring to was minor league football and not NFL, since the topic at hand was MINOR LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

I don't think it matters much I think the UFL is done after this year any way.The whole league is a joke.

I would never devote 3 hours of my time to watching second rate hasbeens...

When i watch football I want to watch the best!

Let me know if I should type slower or in bigger font for you to comprehend?

You still can't get the difference between pipeline and development. Even though the other leagues have a wider sourcing of players, they still have developmental leagues for the players. The two are related, but not correlated.

The NFL history is replete with efforts to have a source of player development for not ready for prime time players. Maybe you can educate me on where the term "taxi squad" came from.

The NFL has tried to come up with the concept of a developmental league for the last 15 years, so I haven't a clue of what you're talking about that the league doesn't think there's value in it. The main reason the efforts have failed is that the owners don't want to foot the high cost of starting up such a league, and the previous efforts were doomed because the ambitions were high.

Let me repeat in bold and big font

The failure of the NFL to establish a minor league is not due to the fact that it's not needed, but due to the hope of NFL owners that someone else should carry the cost for them.

But a viable model can work if you recognize that it is strictly a minor league product, just like people going to Bisons games don't have an illusion that they are going to a MLB outing. Why is that concept so difficult to grasp

The minor league can work, especially when you marry the AAFL concept of targeting college crazy towns with NFL development.

I think anyone with a modicum of reading comprehension would understand that the "viable business model" I was referring to was minor league football and not NFL, since the topic at hand was MINOR LEAGUE FOOTBALL.

For you younger guys, the term Taxi squad originated in Cleveland. The owner of the Browns also owned a Taxi company. He hired guys that did not make the cut to drive his cabs until such time as a starter was injured, then they would be signed to the team.