What do the Bills have to build around for the future

Estro

Well, given the stellar offseason we had, who could have seen this coming? Let us review.

Trade the pain in the ass all pro LT who, despite all was still your best lineman.

Start a guy at LT who, in a long NFL career no coach ever thought could play LT.

Cut said LT.

Sign a third tier FA to play center who never managed to win a starting job with his prior team.

Move a guard to RT who you already decided when you drafted him was a guard, not a tackle.

Start two rookies on the line, neither at the positions they played in college.

Install new, no-huddle offense.

Fire architect of said new offense 10 days before the season.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked, shocked, shocked that this flawless plan didn't work.

On the bright side, we have two young guards who are showing some promise and we didn't see enough of Butler to call that idea a failure so there is still a teensy chance that will work. Losing Peters should at least give us plenty of cap room.

Three cheers for continuity! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray! Hip hip hooray!

:sick:

I like to watch Parcells rebuild. He would blow this up quickly. He would trade skill position players for picks to rebuild the lines. I am guesing he would trade the likes of McKelvin and Whitner for whatever he could get.

A real LT would help this team a lot. A DT who can hold the point of attack. Schemes and decision making would

be as much of a help as talent.

Schottenheimer, Jr., Pepper Johnson, Mike Zimmer...........anyone would beat this nonsense we get from Jauron.

I'd rather have a team filled with Josh Reed's.

There's more than enough talent on this team that a quality coach could contend. Of course, that's assuming the idiots at OBD actually hire a quality coach and then allow him to bring in some NFL caliber players to shore up the disaster under center/OT.

Is anyone really surprised that a team who fired their OC 10 days before the season and cut their starting LT AFTER that is in the crapper? Really?

I think this season was doomed before all of this stuff happened... bringing back Jauron was the first clue, the signing of Owens was the confirmation...this franchise has no plan, no course... they look for band-aids to seal gaping wounds....

Call me crazy, but I think they would be in far better shape today, had Tom Donohoe been given the slack that Dick Jauron seems to have earned... he didn't make all the right moves, but he knew how to make moves...the Bills passive approach to every problem is kind of revolting at this point. But, the blame lies firmly on the desk of he owner... but, you already know that...

That's a pretty pessemistic way of putting it. Our O-Line is young and with one or two veterans will be a solid group. Our WR are very good but we just need a QB who can get them the ball. We have two very good RB who will do well with a good line. Our DL is solid if we have everyone playing and Maybin will take over for Schobel as he starts getting older. Our LB are alright if they stay healthy. I'd say pick up one LB in the draft or free agency but its not as important as QB and O-Line. and we have one of the top 5 DB groups in the NFL.

Offensive Line- Wood and Levitre are both blue chip talents while Hangartner is an average to slightly above average center so there are 3 guys along the O-line to build around AND Butler if he can come back from the injury might be a serviceable RT. So there are pieces along the O-line but they are missing blindside protection (Unless Bell improves a lot over the last 9 games).

QB- Not much Fitz is a good backup Edwards unless he lights it up the last 9 games isn't the awnser.

WR- Lee Evans (A good #2) and a bunch of projects like Steve Johnson (Who I want to see get more playing time this year) and James Hardy both have potential but just aren't inspiring confidence just yet.

RB- Lynch is young and good Fred Jackson is really good and has a few good seasons left.

Defense

Secondary- We are set Byrd is a beast. McGee is locked up and has a few good seasons left. McKelvin should come back and can be the number 2. Corner is a solid nickel back. Lankaster has a lot of potential.

Linebackers- We are clearly 1 short in this department- Poz is a good MLB, Mitchel is a solid vet has a few decent years left if he can come back from injury. Ellison is just a back up.

D-Line- Kyle Williams is a decent starter with a few years left. Stroud and Schobel are good but might not have that much more left in the tank (If we are lucky 2-3 more seasons at a high level). Maybin is a high ceiling project. Kelsay is serviceable as a rotational guy.

This team has talent but we need a QB and some help on the front 7. Depth is also a concern with this team. Overall its not the worst job in the NFL to take over if you are a head coach.

I know the board is going to be gloomy after a loss and I'll be accused of being way too down and harsh on this team, but this is a very fair question. What are the strengths of the Bills that we will be able to build around for the future?

Well.. we have a good punter. I guess that's a start.

I really do not think that the Bills are that devoid of talent, but what I can't understand is why they get hurt so much more than other teams.

I think the defense is undersized, but there are quality players if they weren't hurt.

The offense definitely have quality players. I think Evans would be a perenial all-star if he played for the Colts. I wonder how Trent would have done compared to Cassel if he played for New England.

Well, given the stellar offseason we had, who could have seen this coming? Let us review.

Trade the pain in the ass all pro LT who, despite all was still your best lineman.

Start a guy at LT who, in a long NFL career no coach ever thought could play LT.

Cut said LT.

Sign a third tier FA to play center who never managed to win a starting job with his prior team.

Move a guard to RT who you already decided when you drafted him was a guard, not a tackle.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked, shocked, shocked that this flawless plan didn't work.

On the bright side, we have two young guards who are showing some promise and we didn't see enough of Butler to call that idea a failure so there is still a teensy chance that will work. Losing Peters should at least give us plenty of cap room.

Haha it's funny because it almost sounds unbelievable. And then you realize the Bills, a professional organization in which people are paid millions of dollars to properly manage teams, did just that. This teams abiltity to think longterm is simply non existent. There is no foresight whatsoever, just a bunch of boneheaded moves that don't even seem to improve the short term.

I too don't think our talent is all that bad except in a few key areas.

QB - Dreadful. The two clowns who have played this year have been really bad. Trent won't throw except check downs. Fitz will throw mid range passes but it so inaccurate it doesn't help. We definitely need help here for next year.

RB - We're set if we had a better line and offensive co ordinator

WR - We're in good shape wether TO comes back or not. I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity if we get a new/good coach. Would be nice to get another really good one. Not sure who FAs are, but hit that or draft someone high.

OL - It's bad. If the guys we got work together the rest of this year and improve, we might be OK by adding a couple of FAs. Maybe draft someone good high too.

TE - We're a lot better off than we were last year. I like this nelson kid when he can get on the field.

DL - We need to shore this up. Another real pass rushing end and another solid Tacke are needed from somewhere.

LB - We'd bee OK if Mitchell wasn't hurt. If we can find a stud MLB we should get him.

Secondary - We're set.

K - Try to find someone better than Lindell in offseason

P - We're set

I think with everything else the same if we had a good HC and OC and QB with the talent we have we'd be in the playoff hunt right now this year.

I'd try to sign Orton if at all possible. If not I'd look to trade for someone else's second stringer like Sage Rosenfelds or Billy Volek or Todd Collins or Kerry Collins or Vince Young or Colt Brennan or AJ Feeley or Damon Huard or Charlie Batch as a stop gap for a couple of years or sign Chad Pennington or maybe even Tavaris Jackson. Any of these would be better than what we got. Then when we got a new coach and OC and start to get it going we can try to find a real QB in the meantime.

Cut said LT.

Secret plan: Stock up on '10 draft comp picks. <_<

The truly scary thing that you said was that the defense is getting older.

Our only true pass rushing threat- Schobel- is on the wrong side of 30 and injuries are starting to be his bane.

Kelsay is overpaid, but Stroud I would not worry too much about as interior defensive lineman seem to last a bit longer.

This team is heading towards a crises yet again, as it always is playing catch-up with itself with this front office.

It does not help that the defense is also the strength of the team, either.

The time for further dawdling by Modrak and Co. needs to come to a swift close. A real football GM, a real scouting department, and a real coaching staff needs to be brought in to get this team on the right track towards building a winner.

Looking through the drafts of 2000-2005, the Bills have only 6 out of 50 players still playing on the team. 6!!! Out of 50!!

No team can build with a 12% rate of success on draft picks.

How does Modrak keep his job?

A "real" GM and a "real staff" aren't coming to the B-lo. as soon as ralph passes the team will be sold and the front office will be replaced. Other than people trying to break into the league for the first time or retreads on their last job (eg. DJ) , wants to move to a place and be replaced soon thereafter. And you can bet someone paying the price for an NFL franchise is bringing his own people in. So we are pretty much stuck with what we have or something very much like it until long term ownership stability is in place. my strategy: TIVO the games and only watch the games they win. about all you can do.

I know the board is going to be gloomy after a loss and I'll be accused of being way too down and harsh on this team, but this is a very fair question. What are the strengths of the Bills that we will be able to build around for the future?

This team is playing lousy because of who their head coach is...of course they will support him, but he does not give them any legit hope. They know they are out of contention, for anything, so why bother?

Our future looks bright IF we can get some FOOTBALL brains in the upper rankings of this Organization. Our front office and coaching staff is a joke. I would bring in Mike Holmgren and give him full control, ala Bill Parcells. He would then bring in Jon Gruden as his Head Coach. Gruden would then assemble, with Holmgren's help as a mentor and given track record, a high quality assistant coaching staff with capable coordinators.

The Players?

QB: Yes, our situation is ugly. Bring in a "wily ole veteran" through free agency, draft a poopy-weather capable QB (Locker?), and let these 2 newbies compete with Trent and Fitzpatrick (they both deserve to at least compete).

RB: We have 2 very good RB's in Lynch and Jackson (or Jackson and Lynch), however YOU want to look at it, they compliment eachother and feed off eachother as good friends/teammates. We need to bring in somebody like a Jerious Norwood via free agency, or draft a guy in the form of Noel Devine/Kendall Hunter/Mike Ford/Michael Smith, who are smallish speedsters, 4.3 guys. Or, you could trade Lynch and his troubles (although I like him A LOT), to draft Noel Devine in the 3rd or 4th. Devine and Jackson would make for a nice tandom. Either way the new coach has to implement a POWER running game, because this is the strength of the offense and our offensive line loves to get nasty in the trenches. Le'Ron McClain could replace McIntyre at FB, and he is a good runner.

WR: T.O. will be gone. That is okay. (Although, the new regime and changes may convince him to stay another year, but it's doubtful). Josh Reed may also be gone, but will likely resign. James Hardy and Steve Johnson will be given the chance to step up. Vincent Jackson and Michael Jenkins are free agents. A big target like Malcolm Williams/Eric Decker could be had in the mid-rounds, with the biggest and tallest being David Gettis and Mike Williams. Some "smurfs" would be Jordan Shipley/Golden Tate, but they have great hands. I would like to see Chris McGaha from Arizona State in a Bills uni. He is a Wes Welker type guy, who catches everything. I watch every ASU game and think this kid will be good, given the opportunity. Lee Evans is our only quality starter, but he needs some big time help. This unit needs work.

TE: I like this group. I think Shawn Nelson will be something special, a nice find in last year's draft. His blocking seems to be coming along, but I think Schouman and Fine are capable blockers and receivers. I like this group. Crumpler and Fasano are free agents worth a look for competition.

O-Line: This group, I think, is better off than people give it credit for. Wood, Levitre, Bell and Meredith are all very young and very promising. Add a healthy Butler to the mix, Hangartner (I think should back up Wood @ C), and you have a very solid line...who just needs more time together and some more coaching. Eric Winston from the Texans is a free agent, and as a 'Canes fan, I have always liked this former Tight End turned OT (sounds familiar). Not too sure how deep this draft is yet, havent got that far.

D-Line: Schobel and Kelsay have been doing alright, as has Stroud and Williams. Maybin needs to bulk up and come up with more moves, but he should be a Linebacker. Free agency will produce players like Mark Anderson and Alex Brown, Luis Castillo, Ray Edwards, Kedric Golston, Tank Johnson, Johnny Jolly, Ryan Pickett, Adewale Ogunyele, Frostee Rucker, Richard Seymour, Will Smith, Daryl Tapp, Jason Taylor, Kyle Vanden Bosche, Gabe Watson and Vince Wolfork...JUST to name a FEW. So in other words, this free agent class will be deep, and yes most of these guys will get swept up quick, mainly by their own clubs. The draft also seems deep, with some 1st rounders looking like beasts. Suh, Hardy and Dunlap will all go in the Top 10, most likely. Arthur Jones is a great prospect out of SU. McCoy, Cody, Wootton, Graham, Cunningham, Austin and Kindle all could also go in the 1st round. Everson Griffen out of USC and Brandon Lang out of Troy look like great 2nd rounders. Romeus, Selvie and Morgan all look like solid pick ups in the 3rd. So this draft has many options for the defensive line.

*(Bottom Line - between these 2 positions...the key solution is getting to the QB. hands down most important and obvious problem that this team has had for as long as I can remember.)

LB: Maybin should be moved to OLB. Poz in the middle, with Kawika backing him up. And, Navarro Bowman would look GREAT at the other OLB spot. Harris and Palmer have both showed promise , however. Chris Draft also looks like a decent option in a secondary/backup role. Keith Bulluck, Thomas Davis, Elvis Dumervil, Parys Haralson, Thomas Howard, D'Qwell Jackson, Brandon Johnson, Derrick Johnson, Rocky McIntosh, Shawne Merriman, Kirk Morrison, Demeco Ryans, Odell Thurman and D.J. Williams are all going to be free agents. However, again, many of these guys will be snatched up quick by their own clubs. Besides Bowman, Kindle and Selvie (OLB/DE) are great pass rushers who could pair up nicely with Maybin for some years. Hughes, Norwood and Sturdivant could come in rds 2&3. Dexter Davis of ASU is a decent option in the 5th round. There are some ILB's that have good potential in the later rounds, but I think with Mitchell inside we would be alright. We need an OLB more.

Secondary: 11th ranked, was once 4th (I think?)...pretty much set. McKelvin will be healthy and McGee is locked up. Lankster showed promise, as does Corner. Drayton Florence has filled in quite well. Dream scenario would be to draft Taylor Mays, Byrd at FS and use Whitner to fill in at all 3, including nickel CB. Again, at safety we still have Whitner (could trade him?) and Byrd (is the word?). Scott will probably be signed back, as well Wilson. Pat Walkins, Brodney Pool, Daniel Manning, Sean Jones and Atari Bigby could be options as backup signees as well. Dre Bly is a guy I could see the Bills signing as the "Marquee" guy if Jauron stays around. If we draft anybody, it will be a Strong Safety.

Kicker/Punter: I think it is time we start looking towards the future in terms of a Kicker. Lindell is getting older and is certainly not getting any better. Moorman (Best.Player.Ever) is the second coming of Chuck Norris.

I just don't see this teaming doing anything dramatic. Ralph won't do it. I can really see Jauron being kept around for another year. This team will just completely fall to shambles and it will be a show on "30 for 30" on ESPN.

It needs to start after the bye week. If we lose, Jauron needs to go, and Fewell needs to step in as Interim H.C.

of who we have now heres who are worth keeping either because they are up and coming and we need to see more, or already established, everyone else is expendable as far as I'm concerned:

D:

Byrd-Pleasant surprise!

McKelvin-McFumble

McGee-Too Old to Build Around

Lankster-Has done what?

Poz-Can he stay healthy?

Corner-Has done what?

D-line is up for debated, honestly I'm not really big on any of them

O:

Wood-all potential-unproven

Levitre-all potential-unproven

Evans-useless unless you have a QB with a gun, then he is pro bowl quality

Steve Johnson-unproven-what has he done to be on the list that Hardy hasn't?

Reed-too old to build around

Stupar-unproven

Get rid of either Jackson or Lynch, RB's are a dime a dozen i.e. Patriots-arguable our two best offensive players, and you wanna get rid of one of them.

Thats it folks 12 guys

We build our entire team around Byrd. He's basically won us two games and kept us in one game.

I would make Byrd starting safety/director of football operations, and get him any player he wants.

"What's that, Jairus? You want us to sign Jeff George? Absolutely--right away, sir."

Its time to put Byrd under contract for a long long time. The guy is a special player. If the iditots in the front office don't do something to extend his contract he will be gone in a couple of years. These are the types of players you HAVE to retain if you want to be good team. Hopefully Raph's minions realize this. He is only a rookie...imagine how good he will be in a couple of years. Take both Whitner and Scott and flush them. Has the secondary missed a beat with both of them out nursing injuries?

Ive seen some posts that suggest up t 12 players. The truth is you are exactly whats wrong with this team. Too many people thinking too many of our players are good or have real potential. If this front office keeps thinking players like Poz, Mitchell, Whitner, Schobel, McGee, Lynch are good players we will always have a team of underachievers and injured players.

Jackson- Only because you can use him for a few years as starter if needed

Evans- Only as #2, might actually be good with a good WR and true #1 WR on the team

Nelson- Has potential to be a quality TE

Wood- Has potential to be really good

Levitre- Has Potential to be good

Byrd- Tons of potential, might be the next Ed Reed

McKelvin- Very good

Stroud- Big guy in the middle to build around until he gets too old

Ive seen some posts that suggest up t 12 players. The truth is you are exactly whats wrong with this team. Too many people thinking too many of our players are good or have real potential. If this front office keeps thinking players like Poz, Mitchell, Whitner, Schobel, McGee, Lynch are good players we will always have a team of underachievers and injured players.

Jackson- Only because you can use him for a few years as starter if needed

Evans- Only as #2, might actually be good with a good WR and true #1 WR on the team

Nelson- Has potential to be a quality TE

Wood- Has potential to be really good

Levitre- Has Potential to be good

Byrd- Tons of potential, might be the next Ed Reed

McKelvin- Very good

Stroud- Big guy in the middle to build around until he gets too old

I'm sorry, did you just call McKelvin "very good" and say that McGee isn't good? What are you basing that on, because I know it's not performance.

The truth is the players you listed are good players, but they are not franchise players. The Bills lack real difference makers, but you're not going to improve that situation by getting rid of those guys.