What do the Bills have to build around for the future

Estro

I know the board is going to be gloomy after a loss and I'll be accused of being way too down and harsh on this team, but this is a very fair question. What are the strengths of the Bills that we will be able to build around for the future?

Offense

Our QB situation is arguably (unarguably IMO) bottom 5 in the league. Trent Edwards is toast, Fitzy is probably an adequate backup at best and we have no one young being groomed behind them. You can argue Juaron and our offensive staff have ruined any chance of having a decent QB and you probably have point, but it is what it is until this regime is kicked to the curb.

Our RB situation, which used to look like a strength is looking weaker and weaker everytime Marshawn Lynch touches the ball. His inabilty to pick up the 2nd and 1 run in the first quarter epitomizes everything Marshawn Lynch is and isn't as a running back. Freddy Jackson is a nice back, but as long as they're splitting carries no one is able to get in a good rythm and as a result the entire offense suffers. Today Slaton fumbled (big problem of his) what did Kubiak do, he benched him and went with the "better" back. You think Juaron has the stones to make a move like that?

I'll admit I'm not an expert when it comes to offensive blocking schemes and evaluating the individual results of offensive lineman so I won't go into the O-line too much. With that said I think the two young guards have more than held their own this year, which has been nice. Other than that though things do not look too pretty. Pass protection has been below average at best as has the run blocking.

TE's, I don't think I've seen a "good" TE on this team in the last 10 years. And by good I mean one that can block and consistently catch the football.

WR's are tough to assess with all the other components of the offense pretty much sucking. I'm a big Lee Evans fan, but I don't think he has the physicality and the ability to make the tough catches across the middle to really be considered a premeire #1 wideout. Let's just hope the Bills find themselves a QB before Lee Evans loses his first step, because once his speed is gone he too will be gone. T.O. is here for this year only so there's really no reason to even comment on him looking forward. But I will say I think the guy was paid $6.5 million this season to make the tough redzone catches and fade passes that he has not been making this year. Tough catches, yes, I just thought he could still make them. Steve Johnson, Josh Reed, James Hardy, Roscoe Parrish............I'd like to see how they all played with a Colts uniform on, to get an honest assessment, but they don't so I'll have to say they're all not very good.

Defense

D-line is aging and not very good. Stroud is above average, but even he has had his struggles this year. Williams is alright, and the rest IMO absolutely suck. Schobel is alright, but he's been getting knicked up a lot recently and his age is really catching up with him. Kelsay and Denney alright I guess, but don't make many plays, & to this point Chris Ellis looks like he'll be out of the NFL in another year or 2. I'll reserve judgement on Maybin because he's still in year 1, but going forward there is not much to look forward to on the D-line.

The LB's this year have been downright pitiful. The guys who supposedly are our "best" LB"s aren't very good when compared to other LB units. Kawika Mitchell is average and aging. Posluszny who many around here seem to love is slightly above average at best. He has tons of limitations, extremely tight hipped and slow in space, a liability in coverage, and did I say awfully slow? I saw the "my thoughts in no particular order" post today mention Pos had a good game today and I could not disagree more. He also rarely applies any pressure on the QB when he's asked to blitz, today I saw him get stonewalled by the Texans guards on a cosistent basis. Ellison is undersized and not great. Of all the backups I think I like Nic Harric best, but when you have to sign street FA's and have them starting the following week (Chris Draft) that tells you all you need to know about our depth.

And I saved the best for last! Our secondary is just about the only unit on this team that I would say is top 10 in the league. I like McGee a lot. Rarely gets beat deep and is a sure tackler. McKelvin I'm not so hot on, but he's still young so we'll have to wait and see. Florence is playing decent as a nickel, and Corner who's still young looks so so. I think Whitner is overrated by Bills fans, but nonetheless he helps out a lot in the running game because he's a solid tackler. Byrd has been phenomenal and looks to be the ballhawk our secondary has been missing. Wilson and Scott provide great depth. Our secondary had Schaub a bit rattled early in todays' game. Then once the Texans made their adjustments and realized the Bills offense was a joke we lost the momemtum that our secondary gave us.

Anyways, to summarize on a VERY LENGTHY post, there isn't much to build around on this team. The secondary looks solid and fairly youthful, which is great news! Other than that the future is simply bleek. This to me is the main reason our entire staff needs to be canned. And I mean everybody. The talent on the field isn't very good and the coaches seem to make the talent worse. The scariest part is, even if they are all canned, we're relying on Ralph Wilson to right the ship and make the proper hires. If the past is any indication of the future I don't have much faith in this team until someone not named Ralph Wilson is calling the shots at One Bills Drive.

I'll admit I'm not an expert when it comes to offensive blocking schemes and evaluating the individual results of offensive lineman so I won't go into the O-line too much. With that said I think the two young guards have more than held their own this year, which has been nice. Other than that though things do not look too pretty. Pass protection has been below average at best as has the run blocking.

The Offensive line needs a lot of work. Right now, IMO, they have only 2 legitimate starting caliber players (Wood and Hangartner) and that's debatable. Not dominant, but legitimate. To compound this, they have no experience playing together and very little chemistry. The tackle positions, which are the most important, are the worst. RT is a joke as they are now on their 4th string player. Even if Butler comes back next year, who says he is any good? This was going to be his first year playing the position. Other players may develop like Levitre and Bell or maybe even someone else, but that remains to be seen. This line is another good draft and a couple years of good coaching away from being a solid group.

We build our entire team around Byrd. He's basically won us two games and kept us in one game.

I would make Byrd starting safety/director of football operations, and get him any player he wants.

"What's that, Jairus? You want us to sign Jeff George? Absolutely--right away, sir."

LOL, maybe that would be a good place to start!

I know the board is going to be gloomy after a loss and I'll be accused of being way too down and harsh on this team, but this is a very fair question. What are the strengths of the Bills that we will be able to build around for the future?

Offense

Our QB situation is arguably (unarguably IMO) bottom 5 in the league. Trent Edwards is toast, Fitzy is probably an adequate backup at best and we have no one young being groomed behind them. You can argue Juaron and our offensive staff have ruined any chance of having a decent QB and you probably have point, but it is what it is until this regime is kicked to the curb.

Our RB situation, which used to look like a strength is looking weaker and weaker everytime Marshawn Lynch touches the ball. His inabilty to pick up the 2nd and 1 run in the first quarter epitomizes everything Marshawn Lynch is and isn't as a running back. Freddy Jackson is a nice back, but as long as they're splitting carries no one is able to get in a good rythm and as a result the entire offense suffers. Today Slaton fumbled (big problem of his) what did Kubiak do, he benched him and went with the "better" back. You think Juaron has the stones to make a move like that?

TE's, I don't think I've seen a "good" TE on this team in the last 10 years. And by good I mean one that can block and consistently catch the football.

WR's are tough to assess with all the other components of the offense pretty much sucking. I'm a big Lee Evans fan, but I don't think he has the physicality and the ability to make the tough catches across the middle to really be considered a premeire #1 wideout. Let's just hope the Bills find themselves a QB before Lee Evans loses his first step, because once his speed is gone he too will be gone. T.O. is here for this year only so there's really no reason to even comment on him looking forward. But I will say I think the guy was paid $6.5 million this season to make the tough redzone catches and fade passes that he has not been making this year. Tough catches, yes, I just thought he could still make them. Steve Johnson, Josh Reed, James Hardy, Roscoe Parrish............I'd like to see how they all played with a Colts uniform on, to get an honest assessment, but they don't so I'll have to say they're all not very good.

Defense

D-line is aging and not very good. Stroud is above average, but even he has had his struggles this year. Williams is alright, and the rest IMO absolutely suck. Schobel is alright, but he's been getting knicked up a lot recently and his age is really catching up with him. Kelsay and Denney alright I guess, but don't make many plays, & to this point Chris Ellis looks like he'll be out of the NFL in another year or 2. I'll reserve judgement on Maybin because he's still in year 1, but going forward there is not much to look forward to on the D-line.

The LB's this year have been downright pitiful. The guys who supposedly are our "best" LB"s aren't very good when compared to other LB units. Kawika Mitchell is average and aging. Posluszny who many around here seem to love is slightly above average at best. He has tons of limitations, extremely tight hipped and slow in space, a liability in coverage, and did I say awfully slow? I saw the "my thoughts in no particular order" post today mention Pos had a good game today and I could not disagree more. He also rarely applies any pressure on the QB when he's asked to blitz, today I saw him get stonewalled by the Texans guards on a cosistent basis. Ellison is undersized and not great. Of all the backups I think I like Nic Harric best, but when you have to sign street FA's and have them starting the following week (Chris Draft) that tells you all you need to know about our depth.

And I saved the best for last! Our secondary is just about the only unit on this team that I would say is top 10 in the league. I like McGee a lot. Rarely gets beat deep and is a sure tackler. McKelvin I'm not so hot on, but he's still young so we'll have to wait and see. Florence is playing decent as a nickel, and Corner who's still young looks so so. I think Whitner is overrated by Bills fans, but nonetheless he helps out a lot in the running game because he's a solid tackler. Byrd has been phenomenal and looks to be the ballhawk our secondary has been missing. Wilson and Scott provide great depth. Our secondary had Schaub a bit rattled early in todays' game. Then once the Texans made their adjustments and realized the Bills offense was a joke we lost the momemtum that our secondary gave us.

Anyways, to summarize on a VERY LENGTHY post, there isn't much to build around on this team. The secondary looks solid and fairly youthful, which is great news! Other than that the future is simply bleek. This to me is the main reason our entire staff needs to be canned. And I mean everybody. The talent on the field isn't very good and the coaches seem to make the talent worse. The scariest part is, even if they are all canned, we're relying on Ralph Wilson to right the ship and make the proper hires. If the past is any indication of the future I don't have much faith in this team until someone not named Ralph Wilson is calling the shots at One Bills Drive.

accurate.. but our RBs and WRs arent at all our problem.....everything else exc for DBs --thats the probem

The truly scary thing that you said was that the defense is getting older.

Our only true pass rushing threat- Schobel- is on the wrong side of 30 and injuries are starting to be his bane.

Kelsay is overpaid, but Stroud I would not worry too much about as interior defensive lineman seem to last a bit longer.

This team is heading towards a crises yet again, as it always is playing catch-up with itself with this front office.

It does not help that the defense is also the strength of the team, either.

The time for further dawdling by Modrak and Co. needs to come to a swift close. A real football GM, a real scouting department, and a real coaching staff needs to be brought in to get this team on the right track towards building a winner.

Looking through the drafts of 2000-2005, the Bills have only 6 out of 50 players still playing on the team. 6!!! Out of 50!!

No team can build with a 12% rate of success on draft picks.

How does Modrak keep his job?

So in summary, two young guards, a short WR who's not a particularly good route runner and a pretty good secondary. Sounds about right.

Playoffs are right around the corner! :censored:

The hope still remains that Ralph hires the right GM, who then hires the right head coach. From there we're only a producing QB and a solid draft away from competing again.

Not much. The cupboard is nearly bare. Two rookie OL's (Levitre and Wood) should be good, but Wood needs to be our starting C. Hangartner may be serviceable at the other Guard. Lee Evans. That's about it on Offense. No good TE's, No even above average Tackles. QB is a freakin' mess.

Defense. Stroud has a couple good years left, but can't do it on his own. I like Kyle Williams, but I'd like him more a a backup DT in a rotation. Schobel is above average DE, but an aging starter. Kelsay has never lived up to the intial hype and makes few plays. Our LB's are not good. POZ is OK, not great. I don't know where to start w/ Ellison. On the play where Slaton fumbled, Ellison had him wrapped up w/ both arms and he twisted out, leaving Ellison flat on his A$$. A pathetic play for a starting NFL linebacker. It was fortunate, however as someone else got a shot at him and knocked the ball out. The secondary looks pretty talented as it is.

That's a good question. I personally would build the like this. On the O line its obviously Wood and Levitre as our foundation. You could possibly add Butler there depending on how he comes back from being injured(again). I still don't know what to think of Bell or Meredith but I dont feel like they're the answer long term at the Tackle positions. Hangs a serviceable Center. So while it wouldn't hurt to upgrade from him it's not a immediate need.

At the QB position I hate all of them. So that should be easy enough. However TE and Fitz more than likely aren't going anywhere(due to their cheap cheap contracts) so get rid of the Hamster and draft a young QB'and then hope Jaurons not here anymore to screw this one up. Personally I want either Tim Tebow,Max Hall,Dan LeFevour,or Daryll Clark. Thats if they go the draft route. If they want to sign a FA QB they need to go after Kyle Orton,or not even bother with FA and just draft one.

At RB I'd trade Fred Jackson this offseason. We need draft picks and Freddie will be 30. Plus IMO he's never gonna be a featured back so trade him while his value is high. I want to keep Lynch and Omon. And I would love to see us draft Noel Devine from WVU.

At WR we have issues. Parrish is as good as gone. Josh Reed is a FA,TO is a FA and James Hardy hasn't even played this year. I think we'll resign Reed. I suspect TO walks though. Johnson and Hardy we'll obviously be back. I'd love to sign Kevin Walter in FA to play on the outside across from Evans.

Along the Defensive line well were a mess. Obviously Maybin stays. I'd also say Schoebel,Stroud and Williams are safe. Kelsay and Denney need to go though. I'd also lose Johnson. I'd love to sign a guy like Ryan Pickett in FA. As for Ellis I have no Idea as to whether or not he can contribute down the road. But if we get rid of him I'd love to take Corey Wootton from Northwestern in the 2nd round.

At LB were also a mess. I'd say Poz,Draft,Mitchell,Ellison and Harris are safe. Every other LB we have though can walk. I'd also love for us to make a big push for Thomas Davis in FA.

At CB everyone can come back except Youboty. I'd let him walk in FA and let Lankster take his spot on gameday. At S I'd bring everyone back except Scott. I'd let him walk in FA as well. But we need to keep Byrd'Whitner,Wilson and Wendling. And just take a late rd safety and try to plug him in.

IMO were fine at Kicker and Punter.

So to recap in FA I'd make a big push for Kevin Walter,Ryan Pickett and Thomas Jones. In the draft take the best Tackle available in the first rd. In the second rd take Corey Wootton DE from Northwestern. In the 3rd rd Noel Devine RB WVU. $th rd take the best QB on the board.(Hopefully either Hall,LeFevour,or Clark is still available.) Then draft for depth from there on out. So anyways thats my attempt to rebuild the Bills let me know what you think.

It really is hard to judge the skill position offensive players, when the offensive line, and QB play has been so abysmal.

I look at the 24 starters on this team, and wonder how many of them would be starting on the upper half teams in the leauge...I think Moorman and, possibly, Lee Evans and Terrance McGee make the cut...the rest? I dunno...

Ask yourself this... is there one area of this team that is better than it was when Tom Donohoe was let go? I think not...

We build our entire team around Byrd. He's basically won us two games and kept us in one game.

I would make Byrd starting safety/director of football operations, and get him any player he wants.

"What's that, Jairus? You want us to sign Jeff George? Absolutely--right away, sir."

I have a better plan. We take skin scrapings and hair samples from Byrd and head straight to the cloning lab. We use some toxic goo to accelerate the aging process and in a few weeks time we have 50 or 60 Byrd clones ready to hit the field.

Crazy you say? No crazier than expecting Jauron and Brandon to ever build a winner.

Send your petri dishes to:

The Byrd Project

PO BOX Mickey is Pissed

Weesuck, NY 7-9

I have a better plan. We take skin scrapings and hair samples from Byrd and head straight to the cloning lab. We use some toxic goo to accelerate the aging process and in a few weeks time we have 50 or 60 Byrd clones ready to hit the field.

Crazy you say? No crazier than expecting Jauron and Brandon to ever build a winner.

Send your petri dishes to:

The Byrd Project

PO BOX Mickey is Pissed

Weesuck, NY 7-9

I'd rather have a team filled with Josh Reed's.

There's more than enough talent on this team that a quality coach could contend. Of course, that's assuming the idiots at OBD actually hire a quality coach and then allow him to bring in some NFL caliber players to shore up the disaster under center/OT.

Is anyone really surprised that a team who fired their OC 10 days before the season and cut their starting LT AFTER that is in the crapper? Really?

I'd rather have a team filled with Josh Reed's.

There's more than enough talent on this team that a quality coach could contend. Of course, that's assuming the idiots at OBD actually hire a quality coach and then allow him to bring in some NFL caliber players to shore up the disaster under center/OT.

Is anyone really surprised that a team who fired their OC 10 days before the season and cut their starting LT AFTER that is in the crapper? Really?

Well, given the stellar offseason we had, who could have seen this coming? Let us review.

Trade the pain in the ass all pro LT who, despite all was still your best lineman.

Start a guy at LT who, in a long NFL career no coach ever thought could play LT.

Cut said LT.

Sign a third tier FA to play center who never managed to win a starting job with his prior team.

Move a guard to RT who you already decided when you drafted him was a guard, not a tackle.

Start two rookies on the line, neither at the positions they played in college.

Install new, no-huddle offense.

Fire architect of said new offense 10 days before the season.

I'm shocked I tell you, shocked, shocked, shocked that this flawless plan didn't work.

On the bright side, we have two young guards who are showing some promise and we didn't see enough of Butler to call that idea a failure so there is still a teensy chance that will work. Losing Peters should at least give us plenty of cap room.

of who we have now heres who are worth keeping either because they are up and coming and we need to see more, or already established, everyone else is expendable as far as I'm concerned:

D:

Byrd

McKelvin

McGee

Lankster

Poz

Corner

D-line is up for debated, honestly I'm not really big on any of them

O:

Wood

Levitre

Evans

Steve Johnson

Reed

Stupar

Get rid of either Jackson or Lynch, RB's are a dime a dozen i.e. Patriots

Thats it folks 12 guys

:sick::beer::w00t: ... now wait that is sad ..... :doh: