Niners to demote Clements

bills_red

Tarell Brown will start at left corner over Nate Clements against the Colts on Sunday.

The coaches think that Brown matches up better with the Colts' smaller, speedier wideouts. The Colts run a lot of three-wide sets, so Clements will be on the field plenty. Still, it's a big move by the Niners to demote Clements, who is scheduled to make $6 million next season. Shawntae Spencer has played well enough to keep the right corner job locked up.

Source: Santa Rosa Press Democrat

Related: Nate Clements

rotoworld

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one player the Bills let walk - and I was ok wiht - was Clements. As far as Fletcher, P.Wlliams, S. Adams, Winfield, Greer, and J.Leonard go, not so much.

The only one out of that list that I couldn't argue with is Pat Williams. Leonhard is average at best, Adams was finished (maybe you meant Ted Washington?), and Florence in place of Greer is a trade-off I'll take anyday. Winfield and Fletcher were good players but you'd want a little more bang for your buck, not that the Bills haven't wasted money on other players.

The one player the Bills let walk - and I was ok wiht - was Clements. As far as Fletcher, P.Wlliams, S. Adams, Winfield, Greer, and J.Leonard go, not so much.

I agree with you on Fletcher, Pat Williams, and Winfield. Those 3 gave the 'D' an identity to build around. Indeed, if the Bills had retained Big Pat and London, we would not be having the porous run defense nor would the mounting injuries be as dramatic.

Leonhard is overrated (by Jet coach Ryan). Sam Adams was finished. Greer was expendable.

Clements was waaaaay overvalued (and paid) by San Fran that there is no way I would have competed for his services.

I agree with you on Fletcher, Pat Williams, and Winfield. Those 3 gave the 'D' an identity to build around. Indeed, if the Bills had retained Big Pat and London, we would not be having the porous run defense nor would the mounting injuries be as dramatic.

Leonhard is overrated (by Jet coach Ryan). Sam Adams was finished. Greer was expendable.

Clements was waaaaay overvalued (and paid) by San Fran that there is no way I would have competed for his services.

The reason we let Fletcher go was because of his porous run D. He was always getting blown from his gap.

The reason we let Fletcher go was because of his porous run D. He was always getting blown from his gap.

I don't know where you got that information, but living here in the DC area, Fletcher can STILL play, is a warrior who is never injured, and is constantly getting sideline-to-sideline, clogging up running lanes and making tackles.

Indeed, he is perhaps one of maybe 3-5 consistent, solid performers on the Redskins roster.

i could also leave fletcher(our awful LBs not withstanding)..he is a tackle machine but those tackles usually take place 5-10 yds up field. Barely above average LB IMO. Adams was a talented fatso who played hard about 50% of the time.

rotoworld

LMAO. This is gonna be a really big ego hit to a lot of people here that think Nate is that lockdown corner we dearly miss so much.

Wish we had a coach like Singletary. Half of our guys wouldn't even be in the NFL anymore.

To those who say I'd take Florence over Greer anyday, I think all 32 GM's in the league would disagree with you. Greer is a much better CB than Florence is. Just compare the contract the Bills offered Greer (5 years - $20 million) and the one he signed with New Orleans (4 years - $23 million) and you'll see they far outweigh the contract Florence signed with the Bills (2 years - $6.6 million). Money is what talks in the NFL and that right there is proof that Florence is no where near Greer's level.

Another point is yes you may be correct perhaps Greer was marginally replacable, but how about the thought of the Bills having resigned Greer and never drafting McKelvin in the first place. I like Greer a whole lot more that McKelvin and the contract for Greer would've been slightly cheaper than McKelvin's. There were a lot of other choices other than McKelvin that I'd much rather have on this team at this point. This has been one of the main reasons the Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs the last decade. You need to build your team through retaining your good players and continuing to add solid players in the draft. You simply can not let the majority of your solid free agents walk out the door only to replace them with high picks in the draft.

At least we resigned McGee, if he walked I would've had major concerns, not that I don't already.

Why? What do people see in this guy. He's a bum. We clearly have 4 better safeties right now.

Clements was, and still is, a huge gambler on Defense. That's probably the main reason I was okay with letting him go. For every "Wow, that was an amazing one handed INT by Nate" there was a dozen of "I can't believe Clements got beat on that out route".

I agree with this. There were days when Nate Clements looked like an elite cornerback and other days (not that rare) that he looked like a clunky, oversized cornerback who had a hard time in coverage. Remember the epic game in which Chris Chambers lit up Clements for like 15 catches and over 200 yards?

I always thought that with Clements size, athleticism, and ball skills, that he'd be one of the best safeties in the league. I understand the 49ers decision here because I've always felt that Clements' difficulties in short area agility hurt him as a cover man.

i could also leave fletcher(our awful LBs not withstanding)..he is a tackle machine but those tackles usually take place 5-10 yds up field. Barely above average LB IMO. Adams was a talented fatso who played hard about 50% of the time.

If you have seen Fletcher play recently he is making tackles all over the field including behind the line of scrimmage. When they let Winfield go it was because he didn't intercept the ball enough. Pat Williams was on the wrong side of 30. I can't believe anyone buys into the BS propoganda and excuses for not wanting to pay these guys. The fact of the matter is Williams had plenty of years left and is still dominant was going to command a higher salary. Winfield was going to command top dollar being a cornerback has been a strong defender on the Vikings staff was going to command top cornerback bucks in FA. Fletcher was considered on the wrong side of 30 and tackled downfield field because he missed a step. The fact is his contract was up and he was going to command more bucks in the FA market. He was the leader of the Redskins defense when they finished 2 years in or close to the top 5 defenses. Seriously what have we replaced him with, a slow, nonhitting, injury proned, over rated Poz.

To those who say I'd take Florence over Greer anyday, I think all 32 GM's in the league would disagree with you. Greer is a much better CB than Florence is. Just compare the contract the Bills offered Greer (5 years - $20 million) and the one he signed with New Orleans (4 years - $23 million) and you'll see they far outweigh the contract Florence signed with the Bills (2 years - $6.6 million). Money is what talks in the NFL and that right there is proof that Florence is no where near Greer's level.

Another point is yes you may be correct perhaps Greer was marginally replacable, but how about the thought of the Bills having resigned Greer and never drafting McKelvin in the first place. I like Greer a whole lot more that McKelvin and the contract for Greer would've been slightly cheaper than McKelvin's. There were a lot of other choices other than McKelvin that I'd much rather have on this team at this point. This has been one of the main reasons the Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs the last decade. You need to build your team through retaining your good players and continuing to add solid players in the draft. You simply can not let the majority of your solid free agents walk out the door only to replace them with high picks in the draft.

At least we resigned McGee, if he walked I would've had major concerns, not that I don't already.

Bingo! :worthy:

Why? What do people see in this guy. He's a bum. We clearly have 4 better safeties right now.

All Jim Leonard is make plays. He is the perfect example of a guy who is not the best athlete but is just a football player. You could win a SB with a team of 22 guys like Leonard.

Rex Ryan - the one man who knows more about Leonards football abilities than anyone else - made him a priority target this offseason. Just saying.

PS George Wilson? Really?