Jake Locker?

Astrobot

I am perplexed at DraftTek's computer pick for the Bills in RD#1: QB Jake Locker.

http://www.drafttek.com/round12010.asp

As per your recommendations, I put in our positional needs.

The comnputer spat out Locker.

Brandon Spikes was still on the board. He'd make a kickazz ILB, either moving Poz to the outside or go with a 3-4.

Arthur Jones from Syracuse (the DE) DT Terrence Cody, and WR Dez Bryant were the next 3 picks. How bad would Cody be next to Stroud?

I intend to put a comment up about Locker, but would you have rather had Spikes or Cody or someone else?

I can change our positional needs accordingly.

Astro, Bills Correspondent

DraftTek

I am perplexed at DraftTek's computer pick for the Bills in RD#1: QB Jake Locker.

Brandon Spikes was still on the board. He'd make a kickazz ILB, either moving Poz to the outside or go with a 3-4.

Arthur Jones from Syracuse (the DE) DT Terrence Cody, and WR Dez Bryant were the next 3 picks. How bad would Cody be next to Stroud?

I intend to put a comment up about Locker, but would you have rather had Spikes or Cody or someone else?

DraftTek

Doesnt surprise me at all...he will be one of the top rated, if not the top rated QB in the draft this year by the time it gets here...I love the pick

Locker is the guy the Bills should pick, even if they have to trade up for him. This team needs a QB and Locker would be the best fit in Buffalo out of anybody in the country. He would probably benefit from another year playing in college, but with the NFL labor situation and what happened to Bradford, I can't imagine he goes back to school. I just hope they have a real shot to get him.

As much as I would like a new QB, there isn't one that has solid starter written on him. Let's look at OT, and DT first, then let's look at QB. Yes, I don't think Trent is the long-term answer for Buffalo, but I don't see anyone in this QB class that would be ready to supplant Edwards immediately. Therefore, look at a QB in round #3 to compete with Trent. If the 2010 season shows no improvement with Edwards, then you look at QB in round #1 in 2011.

DraftTek

I'd much rather have Locker than any LB in the first round. I'm not sold on Locker by any means, but you have to consider positional value. The 49ers hit a Grand Slam with Patrick Willis. Hey, that's great, enjoy your 6-10 seasons. That's not a knock on Willis, he's amazing and I'd definitely rather have him than Poz. It's just that no linebacker can make that big a difference in the win column. QB is a different story on that front. There's no sure things at QB in the first round, but if you hit (e.g., Flacco), you win big and keep on winning. Even if you hit on a Hall of Fame linebacker, you just don't get the payoff of hitting on a money QB.

Also, Arthur Jones is a DT. He could probably play DE in a 3-4 (as DraftTek has him listed), but he's played DT in a 4-3 in college. I like him, but not before the late first round, preferably second round. I know you weren't advocating us drafting him as a DE; I just wanted to point that out.

As much as I would like a new QB, there isn't one that has solid starter written on him. Let's look at OT, and DT first, then let's look at QB. Yes, I don't think Trent is the long-term answer for Buffalo, but I don't see anyone in this QB class that would be ready to supplant Edwards immediately. Therefore, look at a QB in round #3 to compete with Trent. If the 2010 season shows no improvement with Edwards, then you look at QB in round #1 in 2011.

Really IMO this is a really deep draft at the QB position. Theres guy's that have a legit shots to have good careers that will go anywhere from rd 1 to rd 5.

How many of Locker's games have you watched??

He's an NFL caliber talent.

I'd much rather have Locker than any LB in the first round. I'm not sold on Locker by any means, but you have to consider positional value. The 49ers hit a Grand Slam with Patrick Willis. Hey, that's great, enjoy your 6-10 seasons. That's not a knock on Willis, he's amazing and I'd definitely rather have him than Poz. It's just that no linebacker can make that big a difference in the win column. QB is a different story on that front. There's no sure things at QB in the first round, but if you hit (e.g., Flacco), you win big and keep on winning. Even if you hit on a Hall of Fame linebacker, you just don't get the payoff of hitting on a money QB.

Also, Arthur Jones is a DT. He could probably play DE in a 3-4 (as DraftTek has him listed), but he's played DT in a 4-3 in college. I like him, but not before the late first round, preferably second round. I know you weren't advocating us drafting him as a DE; I just wanted to point that out.

San Fran seems to have struck out with a 1st round QB as well, Alex Smith, don't forget that. Many teams have picked a 1st round QB that didn't pan out. Those are the breaks. It happenned to us with Losman. I don't think Locker is worthy of a 1st, but that's just me. I would much rather have Clausen, but I don't see him entering the draft this year. I don't see this as being a deep draft for QB's, IMO, and I get the feeling that we won't be taking one in the draft. If we do, I think it will be in the 3rd round or so again. There is also another factor to this equation. Will Locker choose football or baseball? He very well could pull a Samardzija.

Colt McCoy

Tim Tebow

Sam Bradford

Jimmy Claussen

Daryll Clark

Dan Lefevour

Jake Locker

Ryan Mallet

Max Hall

Zac Robinson

Tony Pike

Terell Pryor

Jarret Brown

Ryan Periloux

Pat Devlin

If all those guys come out..........this may be the deepest QB draft since 1983.