Why you don't want a Rex Ryan type coach.

billsfan89

Ok I am prefacing this with saying that I think DJ is a bad coach and that Rex Ryan would be a better coach. BUT Rex Ryan is the extreme opposite of DJ. He treats every game as a must win and talks way too much crap that goes beyond bravado. Even though he is passionate that over the top attitude wears thin after a while.

Rex Ryan called last weeks game vs us a must win and his team didn't respond no matter how much trash and garbage he talked. I guess my point is Rex Ryan is Gregg Williams to the extreme. You can only hype up and yell at your team so much I mean if you had a coach yelling at you and talking so much trash to the media as well as treating every game like the super bowl it wears thin and looses effect.

Too much yelling and bravado is a bad thing because you need to make your yelling and placing of importance count by picking your spots. Simply put DJ never yells or talks smack while that's all Rex Ryan seems to do and players don't respond to either. You need a guy who is going to get in the face of players and hold them accountable YET he has to be able to take the foot off the gas once in a while to make players know that you are human.

You can't yell at a player every time he makes a mistake because it just becomes noise after a while. Its not just yelling either if you treat every game as life and death as Ryan does then the team just wears down or isn't able to respond to it. Yet DJ isn't right either because your team needs to feel accountable.

How do we know Ryan is a better coach than Jauron at this point? It's pretty silly if you ask me considering Jauron is 1-0 against him.

And if we had a better players, especially a QB, Jauron approach would work. I have no doubts he won't be 6-0 with the Colts right now. Cladwell was a losing college coach and had a 26-63 record. Yet, he is undefeated in the pros.

If the season fails, DJ deserves the blame because he selected the players and QB. But bottomline, there's isn't jsut one approach that works. The key is to find the right one for your team, and more importantly IMO, the right palyers.

How do we know Ryan is a better coach than Jauron at this point? It's pretty silly if you ask me considering Jauron is 1-0 against him.

And if we had a better players, especially a QB, Jauron approach would work. I have no doubts he won't be 6-0 with the Colts right now. Cladwell was a losing college coach and had a 26-63 record. Yet, he is undefeated in the pros.

If the season fails, DJ deserves the blame because he selected the players and QB. But bottomline, there's isn't jsut one approach that works. The key is to find the right one for your team, and more importantly IMO, the right palyers.

I just think that Ryan from his limited work as Jets coach and DC from the Ravens has a better defensive grasp of the game. I mean when was the last time you could think of DJ out scheming a teams offense? I think a more soft spoken approach works (Tony Dungy) but this team needs a guy who is more harder edged (usually you bring in a disciplinarian after a players coach).

But yeah each situation is different and different approaches are needed for each situation.

I just think that Ryan from his limited work as Jets coach and DC from the Ravens has a better defensive grasp of the game. I mean when was the last time you could think of DJ out scheming a teams offense? I think a more soft spoken approach works (Tony Dungy) but this team needs a guy who is more harder edged (usually you bring in a disciplinarian after a players coach).

But yeah each situation is different and different approaches are needed for each situation.

Marvin Lewis

Mike Nolan

Rex Ryan

C.Biscuit

All of these guys were or could be stud DC with the defensive talent in Baltimore. If anything, Ozzie Newsome is the mastermind of that defense. How hard is it to coach Lewis and Reed?

We'll see what Ryan is made up of without Jenkins. Jauron has had more than his share of key injuries. And his scheme worked against the PAts* and the Sts failed him. His schemes worked agaisnt NO & Cle and the offense failed him.

Obviously DJ deserves blame for the failings of the team, but in his specialty of defense, he has IMO done a really good job minus one game.

I think Rex Ryan is a quality football guy but that doesn't mean he is going to make it as the top guy. I kind of think the coaching staff for the Jets, lost the game for them. Why did they continue to pass with a struggling rookie Qb? They were gashing us up with the run and we weren't much of a threat offensively. The teams that play it close to the vest and pound the ball on us are going to have success. Our offense shoots itself in the foot one way or another and never gives our defense time to rest. The fact that the Bills created so many turnovers in the secondary is proof of a coaching oversight IMO.

I think Rex Ryan is a quality football guy but that doesn't mean he is going to make it as the top guy. I kind of think the coaching staff for the Jets, lost the game for them. Why did they continue to pass with a struggling rookie Qb? They were gashing us up with the run and we weren't much of a threat offensively. The teams that play it close to the vest and pound the ball on us are going to have success. Our offense shoots itself in the foot one way or another and never gives our defense time to rest. The fact that the Bills created so many turnovers in the secondary is proof of a coaching oversight IMO.

That point is something I always wonder about with Jauron. Everyone in the league loves him. What i never understood is why he didn't get a proven OC to jsut handle the offense. I'm sure a lot of guys would like to work under him.

But in the end, loyalty is both the main strength and weakness of DJ.

Our offense shoots itself in the foot one way or another and never gives our defense time to rest.

This may be changing with the advent of the huddle in Buffalo and some sustained drivers. We held the ball for like 38:00 against the Jets. We'll see what happens this week.

Ok I am prefacing this with saying that I think DJ is a bad coach and that Rex Ryan would be a better coach. BUT Rex Ryan is the extreme opposite of DJ. He treats every game as a must win and talks way too much crap that goes beyond bravado. Even though he is passionate that over the top attitude wears thin after a while.

Rex Ryan called last weeks game vs us a must win and his team didn't respond no matter how much trash and garbage he talked. I guess my point is Rex Ryan is Gregg Williams to the extreme. You can only hype up and yell at your team so much I mean if you had a coach yelling at you and talking so much trash to the media as well as treating every game like the super bowl it wears thin and looses effect.

Too much yelling and bravado is a bad thing because you need to make your yelling and placing of importance count by picking your spots. Simply put DJ never yells or talks smack while that's all Rex Ryan seems to do and players don't respond to either. You need a guy who is going to get in the face of players and hold them accountable YET he has to be able to take the foot off the gas once in a while to make players know that you are human.

You can't yell at a player every time he makes a mistake because it just becomes noise after a while. Its not just yelling either if you treat every game as life and death as Ryan does then the team just wears down or isn't able to respond to it. Yet DJ isn't right either because your team needs to feel accountable.

You have to have passion for your job though. Dick Jauron doesn't (although he probably thinks he does). All the great one's have and had passion for the game...Belichick, Parcells, Gibbs, Knoll, Landry. These guys were not working on their golf games in the off season. They had a compulsion for doing whatever it took to win and it showed in their meticulous approach to their jobs.

I know you're not supporting Jauron with your post, but I just wanted to clarify the distinction between passion vs yelling. We need a guy in Buffalo that's passionate about the game of football and passionate about winning a championship.

Being a screamer doesn't bring success.

Being warm and cuddly doesn't bring success.

Lombardi...successful screamer

Walsh...successful non-screamer

Parcels...successful screamer

Tomlin...successful non-screamer

stop trying to pigeon hole coaches based on their demeanor...it doesn't take a certain type

stop trying to pigeon hole coaches based on their demeanor...it doesn't take a certain type

I hate when someone points to facts in the midst of an opinionated debate .... it ruins the party :rolleyes::wallbash::blink:

Your man love and continued defense of Jauron is really impressive. When will you have had you fill of the man?

If it fails? Like last year?

Anybody could be 6-0 with the Colts. Even Dungy won a SB with that team. But the rest of the teams are not like the Colts. DJ could only remain coach for Ralph. There is no other team that would have kept this guy on for this long.

Rex Ryan let his ROOKIE QB throw 5 interceptions on a day when his team ran for over 300 yards. You would think that after 2 picks you would have your QB hand off every play since you were gaining 6 yards or so a rush. After 3 picks, you would maybe break his throwing arm and go wildcat the rest of the game.

And this is a great coach? :rolleyes::wallbash:

Your man love and continued defense of Jauron is really impressive. When will you have had you fill of the man?

Man love? Go screw yourself. There's your man love. :wallbash:

And Ryan looks a lot like Jauron lately (except out weighing him by 300 lbs) and has a losing record to DJ. But he yells and is good when being miked up so he must be a good coach. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone want this guy as a coach? As Fuzzy said, he violated a fundamental principle of football- if you are running the ball effectively, you keep on running until the other defense stops it. We don't need a big giant risk-taker the polar opposite of Jauron. That is why you want him here right, to be the complete opposite? Not me.. we need competency, not action for the sake of it.

This may be changing with the advent of the huddle in Buffalo and some sustained drivers. We held the ball for like 38:00 against the Jets. We'll see what happens this week.

I'm so sick of this huddle/no huddle BS. Watch the games and the game clock. We did not run a hurry up O, we just didn't huddle. We used the same amount of time between plays each way. We controlled the TOP for one reason. We made plays on Offence and Defense. Okay that was two reasons, but the issue here is we completed more plays on O and either let the jets run the lenght of the field on a single play or stopped them on the D.

No, but it sure looks "cool" to see a screamer on your sideline, doesnt it?

Rex Ryan let his ROOKIE QB throw 5 interceptions on a day when his team ran for over 300 yards. You would think that after 2 picks you would have your QB hand off every play since you were gaining 6 yards or so a rush. After 3 picks, you would maybe break his throwing arm and go wildcat the rest of the game.

And this is a great coach? :censored::thumbsup:

Well said! Whether you pat them on the head or bust them in it makes no difference on the outcome of a game it's all about how you handle the game. Ryan used a T/O to come up with the idea to try to draw us offside on 4th down! Come on. Thats a terrible waste of a T/O. And then there was the challenge on FJ stepping out a whole 6 yards before he was brought down. Seriously? Even DJ is not that bad. Buddy never really made it as HC, maybe Rex will follow his footsteps.

For what it's worth I'd take Jeff Fisher over either of these guys. I don't think he is a screamer.