Bills Beat reporters...Ya I'm calling you out

NY Nole

You (collectively) SUCK! Your questions are insignificant at best and border on idiotic. Aside from JW and TG (I respect both for coming on here to discuss), but these press conference questions are really stupid.

Example question (paraphrase) "This win came during a really tough time for this team, can you talk about how important/significant that win was?"

Response (paraphrase) "It was an important win for this team, we did enough to win, the guys don't quit and we're all happy to get the win."

Really? Was this question necessary? Did you think it would not be important or significant? I mean C'mon -- everyone is critical of Dick's quotes -- but if all press conferences include these mindless questions -- I would take the same tactic as DJ and others in giving mindless responses. Oh -- and there were plenty of other useless/redundant questions. From his thoughts on how charming George Wilson is (very much - per Dick) to his thoughts on the giant "Fire Dick" billboards (doesn't have an opinion, glad to get the win).

Now I know why the newspaper business is dying a quick death. If this is the best you people have -- time to find something else to do for a living. I mean, there are legitimate questions to ask the head coach in this forum (that I believe fans would want to hear responses for) like:

- "Why didn't you use better clock management at the end of the game - aka why didn't you use your 'no-huddle' experience to run 1-2 more plays with 50 seconds left in regulation to be in better position for a game winning field goal" (1 play was run and the clock was left to wind down before the missed field goal at the end). Ok - this question WAS actually asked (sorta) -- just not with very much conviction.

- "Why, with the best defensive player for the Jets out of the game (Jenkins), didn't you run more inside to attack the rookie instead of sweeps and tosses?"

- "Did you think about going for a TD instead of the FG at the start of the 2nd half?"

- "Why are there critical special teams mistakes in every game now?"

But alas -- we now know that, in fact, Gibran Hamden would (hypothetically) be responsible for signalling in the plays IF AVP was still calling plays from the booth and Fitzpatrick was the starting QB. Here's to you Bills beat reporters, keep up the good work!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You (collectively) SUCK! Your questions are insignificant at best and border on idiotic. Aside from JW and TG (I respect both for coming on here to discuss), but these press conference questions are really stupid.

Example question (paraphrase) "This win came during a really tough time for this team, can you talk about how important/significant that win was?"

Response (paraphrase) "It was an important win for this team, we did enough to win, the guys don't quit and we're all happy to get the win."

Really? Was this question necessary? Did you think it would not be important or significant? I mean C'mon -- everyone is critical of Dick's quotes -- but if all press conferences include these mindless questions -- I would take the same tactic as DJ and others in giving mindless responses. Oh -- and there were plenty of other useless/redundant questions. From his thoughts on how charming George Wilson is (very much - per Dick) to his thoughts on the giant "Fire Dick" billboards (doesn't have an opinion, glad to get the win).

Now I know why the newspaper business is dying a quick death. If this is the best you people have -- time to find something else to do for a living. I mean, there are legitimate questions to ask the head coach in this forum (that I believe fans would want to hear responses for) like:

- "Why didn't you use better clock management at the end of the game - aka why didn't you use your 'no-huddle' experience to run 1-2 more plays with 50 seconds left in regulation to be in better position for a game winning field goal" (1 play was run and the clock was left to wind down before the missed field goal at the end). Ok - this question WAS actually asked (sorta) -- just not with very much conviction.

- "Why, with the best defensive player for the Jets out of the game (Jenkins), didn't you run more inside to attack the rookie instead of sweeps and tosses?"

- "Did you think about going for a TD instead of the FG at the start of the 2nd half?"

But alas -- we now know that, in fact, Gibran Hamden would (hypothetically) be responsible for signalling in the plays IF AVP was still calling plays from the booth and Fitzpatrick was the starting QB. Here's to you Bills beat reporters, keep up the good work!

thanks.

why did I ask the question about how significant this win was at a time the team is crisis? because that's the story i'm writing today. in an objective world, the Bills win to some degree blunts some of the criticism that's been heaped on coach and this team.

they won a game they weren't supposed to. did it with a injury-depleted defense and with no one believing they had a shot. there's something to taht.

there are times to be negative and there are times to hold back. the bills won, and ugly as it was, they won. the better questions after that game should be directed toward Rex Ryan and the Jets for forgetting they had a running attack.

this was not a day to be critical.

j (guess i suck) w

And those questions would be answered in no real way.... and would be just as useless as the questions you are blasting....

thanks.

why did I ask the question about how significant this win was at a time the team is crisis? because that's the story i'm writing today. in an objective world, the Bills win to some degree blunts some of the criticism that's been heaped on coach and this team.

they won a game they weren't supposed to. did it with a injury-depleted defense and with no one believing they had a shot. there's something to taht.

there are times to be negative and there are times to hold back. the bills won, and ugly as it was, they won. the better questions after that game should be directed toward Rex Ryan and the Jets for forgetting they had a running attack.

j (guess i suck) w

John W, How dare you exhibit fairness, perspective and good judgment? You are going to give your profession a black eye by being reasonable! As you stated: There is a time for and a place for. It is very easy to kick the carcass when it is down; and it is the right thing to do to give a little credit when the battered carcass wobbles forward. :w00t:

he gave you a pass on this one, he said "...except JW and TG...."

thanks.

j (guess i suck) w

he gave you a pass on this one, he said "...except JW and TG...."

don't think he/she realized i was the one who asked one of the sucky questions. without speaking for TG, wanted to address why i suck so much.

jw

and speaking of sucking, always wondered why some upstart vacuum cleaner manufacturer never came out with an ad campaign about how much their product truly sucks, i mean really and absolutely sucks. think that might be a winner.

Guest dog14787
don't think he/she realized i was the one who asked one of the sucky questions. without speaking for TG, wanted to address why i suck so much.

jw

and speaking of sucking, always wondered why some upstart vacuum cleaner manufacturer never came out with an ad campaign about how much their product truly sucks, i mean really and absolutely sucks. think that might be a winner.

:w00t:

It is not a mindless question- it is presenting the idea of whether the win can affect the team's confidence or be a turning point. It was somewhat looking for a soundbite. It wasn't like "How did you feel about scoring the touchdown."

You do really suck John. You forgot to add that it was a road game.

By the way your punctuation is really terrible, even when you use it. Plus, you left out some words, and spelled a couple wrong. What's a taht, an upscale teat?

You are the man! :w00t::lol:

"See the people walking down the street

Fall in line just watching all their feet

They don't know where they wanna go

But they're walking in time

They got the beat

They got the beat

Yeah

They got the Bills Beat

Rock-oreck-pile

thanks.

j (guess i suck) w

You do really suck John. You forgot to add that it was a road game.

By the way your punctuation is really terrible, even when you use it. Plus, you left out some words, and spelled a couple wrong. What's a taht, an upscale teat?

You are the man! :lol::lol:

"See the people walking down the street

Fall in line just watching all their feet

They don't know where they wanna go

But they're walking in time

They got the beat

They got the beat

Yeah

They got the Bills Beat

Rock-oreck-pile

just what i need, an editor! :w00t:

and a Go Go's loving one at that.

thanks,

Rock

jw

I think the problem is having all the fans listening/watching the post-game press conferences. A question is only "sucky" when combined with a sucky answer. Obviously, you were giving Jauron an opportunity for a potentially great sound bite, maybe "they may have saved my job today" or something along those lines. In the "old" days, if he gives a bad answer, you don't use it and it doesn't matter.

I would love to see a process put in place where the coaching staff answers the fans "Top 5" questions from the weekend. Obviously Jauron won't have a couple of hours to provide strong answers but even a "quality control" coach could let us know the team's thought process.

For example why didn't we run inside without Jenkins? I can think of several legitimate answers that would "peel back" some of the coaching to us fans - maybe the game plan was outside and they didn't want to change the plan. Maybe they felt the advantage was still greater outside. Maybe the Jets were bringing their ends inside to force runs outside, etc...

Any chance the Bills would ever do something like that?

well in that case then, you do suck!!! :w00t:

jw

jw

Writers get no love, John. No matter what questions are asked, you get the usual tripe for answers. Only on rare occasions will a player or coach give an emotional response that is interesting/informative. Then you have to write an article with little or no assistance from those involved in the game. As if that isn't tough enough, if you are too candid in your questions and/or articles, you may have difficulty getting to talk to those people in the future.

A tough, thankless job.

thanks.

j (guess i suck) w

Ok - did not know it was JW that asked the question referenced (although there were plenty others to choose from). First, thanks to John for replying -- classy as usual.

However, my rant is not intended for the writers (JW included) to feel that they have to be "negative" or launch an assault on a coach -- especially after a win. My point is that these press conferences are the only opportunity that fans have to see the coach's perspective following a game. There are lots of questions that we (at least I do) have after investing 3-4 hours watching the game on a Sunday. I realize it is not possible to answer every tactical question, nor would he respond to certain ones, but I'd at least like to hear some answers about key play calls or insights about what was developing on the field that the average fan wouldn't know about -- it might even help "blunt some of the criticism that's been heaped on the coach" if we knew why certain things weren't tried or didn't work (like why we only target TO and Lee 5-7 times a game instead of 10-20).

As for "fluff pieces" or other stories that focus on different side of the game (ie how coaches handle the pressure of being fired, etc) there is certainly a time and place for that too. I don't know how the NFL handles media access, but I know there are conference calls and PR staff that is charged with getting information -- seems to me quotes of this nature could be readily obtained. (Hell, I read Peter King sends text messages to coaches and players asking for quotes all the time).

In lieu of DJ taking fan phone calls (which he'd never do), the beat reporters are the only option fans have to grasp the nuances of the game. I'm not asking you to ask questions in a negative tone or be overly critical (WRG and Buffalo News does a good enough job at that on their own) I'm just hoping for a better idea of how the game was decided on Sunday. You can ask DJ about his favorite color Tuesday through Saturday.