Anyone watch AFC Playbook on NFLN

Estro

For those of you who have NFLN, I wanted to see if anyone else watched AFC playbook this week? Not that it came as any surprise to me, since I was at the game last week, but Trent Edwards is 95% of the problem with this offense, no question. I know a lot of people around here blame the penalties, the coaching, the offensive line.......rightfully so to a degree, but Edwards has totally lost his confidence to throw the ball downfield.

Of the three plays they dissected of Edwards vs. the Browns he had wide open men downfield for first downs and never once did he even look at the receivers. In each of the 3 plays the pocket was also clean with a slight push coming from the middle (Shaun Rogers). This is Edwards biggest problem....the inability to slide and move within the pocket. Watch any of the upper-tier QB's and the first thing you'll notice is they all have pocket presence, the ability to step up or slide in the pocket. It helps to have a great offensive line, which the Bills don't, but I've seen plenty of plays where our line has given Trent enough time yet he still lets the pressure get to him due to his inability to slide in the pocket. Early in his career Trent surprisingly handled the blitz well, think back to the Ravens game of 2007 and the Chargers game of 2008. The difference then was teams did not have film on Edwards and were blitzing heavily from the edges so Edwards was able to keep his eyes downfield and deliver the ball. Once teams began blitzing up the middle they realized Trent wasn't nearly as effective. (No surprise our coaches still haven't come up with a conclusion on how to beat this, but that's another story entirely.) As soon as Trent feels the heat up the middle he immediately takes his eyes off the downfield receivers and looks to dump it off. What's worse is he doesn't possess the ability to step up or slide away from pressure, but instead runs toward the sideline like a chicken with his head cut off. This move eliminates one half of the field and because Trent is very inaccurate on the run, it usually eliminates any ability to complete a pass.

If it were last year I could at least hold out hope and believe he will improve or be taught how to effectively stand in the pocket and deliver the football downfield, unfortunately after 2 seasons it's getting worse. For anyone who didn't see the show, try and watch the segment. It's so discouraging to see slow- mo film of wide open receivers and tight ends downfield only to watch Edwards throw lateral 2 yard outs to our outlet receivers. Now I know why Alex Van Pelt is still chiming in with "we'll have to simplify the offense further". It's because Trent is holding this offense way way way back and apparently the coaches think the only way to help him is to dumby down an already dumbed down offense. What does that tell you about our QB. Pretty frightening.

Lastly, for anyone who thinks Hamdan or Fitzgerald wouldn't give us a better shot at winning you're nuts. I would've thought I was nuts for making that statement a month ago too, but sadly it's true. After watching Edwards, in person, 3 games this season I've seen enough to know he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a starting QB job in this league. Hammy or Fitzy may not have as good of arm strength or accuracy, but what good is that when you refuse to throw beyond 8 yards unless you're throwing the sideline bomb (which you complete at about a 12% rate). If Hamdan or Fitz played last week, we win the game.

Hoping to be at least entertained tomorrow, but I'm expecting more of the same out of Edwards. The past is the best predictor of the future and our future with Edwards at the helm is well.........SCARY.

So they show 3 plays that illustrate their point (out of 60-70) and that's definitive? Plays are like stats - they can pick whatever they want to say what they want to say. I've seem those guys use different plays from the same game to make 2 opposing points.

Not that Trent has been good the last few weeks...

So they show 3 plays that illustrate their point (out of 60-70) and that's definitive? Plays are like stats - they can pick whatever they want to say what they want to say. I've seem those guys use different plays from the same game to make 2 opposing points.

That's enough for me. You know Trent sucks, Jåy. :devil:

I don't think the NFLN can spend its entire show on how inept Edwards is so they pick a few plays to demonstrate their point. Anyone that has followed the Bills without the rose colored glasses on the past couple of years will tell you that Edwards is the major problem with this team. Not that the coaching, management and ownership don't share some of the blame but the onfield ineptitude of the offense lies squarly on the shoulders of #5. Plain and Simple.

Edwards is going through his reads too quickly before guys have a chance to get open. As a result he resorts to dumping the ball off to the RBs and TEs. His footwork in the pocket is poor as well and I believe most of Trent's issues is lack of confidence in his O-line. If I was AVP I would have Trent look first to see where the rush is coming from after hiking the ball and then start going through his reads.

That extra few seconds could allow the WRs to get open down the field. I don't understand what has happened to the intermediate passing game. Everything is either a dump off or bomb down the field. If they can become more successful in the 10-20 yd range they can start to turn things around on offense.

no, i think it just supports on film what numerous reporters, former players and even fans have said after being at the games....receivers are running down the field open, and Edwards refuses to pull the trigger even when he has time...

no, i think it just supports on film what numerous reporters, former players and even fans have said after being at the games....receivers are running down the field open, and Edwards refuses to pull the trigger even when he has time...

I'm not entirely convinced. If that were the case, I think Dick would've sat Edwards down by now. No, I think that, at least to some extent, this coaching staff is instructing him to play this way. I think those WRs may actually be designed decoys on a lot of those plays, and no, I'm not kidding. Remember when Turk Schonert accused Dick of wanting a Pop Warner offense? Looks like he was right from where I'm sitting.

Fitz, maybe, but anyone who thinks Hamdan can start & win in the NFL is nuts. The only reason he's here is because he's buddies with Edwards & acts like another coach on the sidelines. Once Edwards goes, Hamdan is gone too.

At least Hamdan can throw the ball down the field to his receivers; the difference b/w Hamdan and TE even in the preseason was stark.

At least Hamdan can throw the ball down the field to his receivers; the difference b/w Hamdan and TE even in the preseason was stark.

Jauron wont pull Trent for the simple reason that if he did they will have to admit they made a mistake.

This is the main reason why they should get rid of this head coach.....

Do you think if Cowher or Shannahan was coach of this team that Trent would even be playing right now???

Jauron wont pull Trent for the simple reason that if he did they will have to admit they made a mistake.

Do you think if Cowher or Shannahan was coach of this team that Trent would even be playing right now???

I will defend Jauron a little--when you're on the hot seat and you start benching your starting QB, it's the beginning of the end.

But if the coaches are watching the same film as people on NFLN, then the problem should be pretty obvious to them.

Exactally, real coaches want to win not just try and keep it close to only lose by a little. All is good though Dead Dick and Trentster will be gone by years end, and that's ok with me.

I will defend Jauron a little--when you're on the hot seat and you start benching your starting QB, it's the beginning of the end.

But if the coaches are watching the same film as people on NFLN, then the problem should be pretty obvious to them.

How can you defend Jauron at this point????

The beginning of the end for me was the Jets game last year when Marshawn was killing them in the fourth Qt and then they put the ball into JP hands, who then proceeded to lose the game.....

If he can pull JP when he sucked he can do the same when Trent sucks up the place. :devil:

How much time do you think they have on these shows? :P Seriously, you can see the same problems from last years games as well.

Lame QB enbled by lame-brained coach...probably 80% of what's wrong with the offense.

Trent Edwards is 95% of the problem with this offense

Facts:

The Bills can't block 4 pass rushers and sometimes struggle with a 3 man rush.

The Bills can't run effectively against 7 man fronts.

The Bills take penalties that constantly put them in difficult down/distance situations.

The Bills have not shown the ability to consistently form a legitimate pocket all year.

The Bills opponents regularly drop 7-8 guys into coverage cuz they know they have nothing to fear up front.

The Bills offense is one of hte very worst coached in the NFL.

Yet all these facts combined account for only 5% of the Bills offensive problems?!?!

I'm sorry and mean no offense but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read here.

Yes, because Bill Cowher was an undisputed master of QB management. :P:w00t: :w00t:

This is silly. He was perfectly comfortable with benching Losman for Edwards and then bringing Losman back as a starter. It also looks like he is scrapping the no huddle.

In his first year, he adjusted the defense to more man in order to better utilize Clements' talents.

Facts:

The Bills can't block 4 pass rushers and sometimes struggle with a 3 man rush.

The Bills can't run effectively against 7 man fronts.

The Bills take penalties that constantly put them in difficult down/distance situations.

The Bills have not shown the ability to consistently form a legitimate pocket all year.

The Bills opponents regularly drop 7-8 guys into coverage cuz they know they have nothing to fear up front.

The Bills offense is one of hte very worst coached in the NFL.

Yet all these facts combined account for only 5% of the Bills offensive problems?!?!

I'm sorry and mean no offense but that's one of the stupidest things I've ever read here.

Yes, because Bill Cowher was an undisputed master of QB management. :P:w00t: :w00t:

I think that the poster means that a good QB seems to be able to overcome these things. Yes, what you've laid out is 100% true, nobody can deny it. However, I think it's likely that a different QB can do more with this than Trent is doing. On a side note, a michael vick/seneca wallace type QB would probably actually be better for this team right now b/c the offense line is so darn bad. Not that it matters now anyway.

This is a quality good QB's have, watch the Mannings, Brady or Cutler. They buy time with their feet. It's not all on Trent but he could improve this issue.

the inability to slide and move within the pocket. Watch any of the upper-tier QB's and the first thing you'll notice is they all have pocket presence, the ability to step up or slide in the pocket. It helps to have a great offensive line, which the Bills don't, but I've seen plenty of plays where our line has given Trent enough time yet he still lets the pressure get to him due to his inability to slide in the pocket.