TSN Article About Changing HC's In The Middle Of The Season

Steely Dan

April's a man who knows his limitations.

We would be even worse with him as HC.

I have to disagree. Its football in the NFL. You have Fewell controling the D, AVP controlling the O. All April has to do is get out of the way and focus on game and clock management, and motivation. He still coaches the ST the way he always has, but when its 4th and 1 and a 3-3 game with 4 mins left, he wont punt he will decide to go for it. Add in a motivation speech pregame and at halftime and thats all he needs to do.

I have to disagree. Its football in the NFL. You have Fewell controling the D, AVP controlling the O. All April has to do is get out of the way and focus on game and clock management, and motivation. He still coaches the ST the way he always has, but when its 4th and 1 and a 3-3 game with 4 mins left, he wont punt he will decide to go for it. Add in a motivation speech pregame and at halftime and thats all he needs to do.

If that's all there is to being a head coach, I can do it.

He has the fire, passion and intensity that we have lacked for years. I think he would be like Mike Singletary and would not put up with any BS from players and would not think twice about benching someone for a few series if they made a careless stupid penalty

Just like he benches returners after stupid fumbles or losing 15 yards.

I was thinking the same thing - it was really interesting/eye-opening to me to read a first-hand account of the extent of how negatively players are affected by it, call me naive but I wouldn't have thought it would have such a pervasive/widespread negative affect as he states (these guys are professionals after all????).

Yes - we'll see the character of the Bills players come through (if we haven't already)

That was a great article by Tucker. If you ask me half this team has already mailed it in.

Agreed...good piece. Some guys may looked like they've mailed it in, but we'll know for sure over the next couple of games. If more eggs are laid, the players better realize they're playing for their jobs.

Just to clarify most Bills fan's position, we wanted Jauron fired LAST season, not in the middle of this one. But we will take what we can get.

It was all I could do to come back to this team when that !@#$ing !@#$ wasn't fired. If he's not gone after this season at the latest, that's when I check out of the Bills fanhood for good.

Agreed...good piece. Some guys may looked like they've mailed it in, but we'll know for sure over the next couple of games. If more eggs are laid, the players better realize they're playing for their jobs.

If we had a new GM than the players would know they were auditioning for the regime, right now they know DJ is staying cuz ralph is a cheap brd

It would certainly be difficult to switch mid-season, but it seems pretty clear that this team is lost...

What do we do though? I'm not convinced April or Fewell are the men to lead us into the future. They can't even get us through the present.

Regardless of what happens this season, I would love to see a Schottenheimer combo here. Brian as HC and Marty as head of Football Ops (or some such title).

Marty knows what it takes to win in this league and would be a great mentor for his son. Brian is a young assistant on the rise, he's making Sanchez look pretty good and is learning a bit about the Rex Ryan D plus he's seeing Ryan's attitude up close and personal.

One thing's for sure SOMETHING needs to happen and happen fast!

He's a special teams coach, for crissakes! What are the biggest problems he has to solve each Sunday?? Return kicks, cover returns.

Come on!

The ST coach is NOT gonna punt on 4th?? hahaha. What else does he know?

AVP and Fewell are significant problems.

I agree that April's units have cost the Bills 2 games, and that making him the HC will a) take time away from him trying to improve his units and b) lead to his departure at the end of the year if the team continues to do poorly and/or the Bills hire a new HC. I can't recall a situation in which the interim HC stayed with the team in his previous role after a new HC was hired.

As for the ST's this year, I don't know if it's indicative of April losing his touch or just a down year, but I'd like to see him return next year. And no interim HC will make much of a difference. Hence the reason the Bills haven't fired Jauron. Just like the Redskins, Titans, Panthers, Jaguars, and Raiders haven't either.

when its 4th and 1 and a 3-3 game with 4 mins left

A little OT on this I know, but I thought we should have done a hike it to the short man fake punt here.

April seems to me to be an aggressive go for the jugular type of approach based on his innovative onsides kicks and fakes and stuff. If Dick was a kicking teams coach, he have 2 plays, kickoff and punt. That's it.

I know if we fire Dick we'd likely suck or be no better, but its the prinicipal of the thing. Dick is horrible and has not business patrolling an NFL sidelines. End of story. Tell him to pack his trash.