Nobel Prize Has Officially Become a Liberal Joke

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry JA, I have to disagree with you on this one, as rare as that may be, Although he shouldn't be considered for the Hall of Fame, he has actually achieved something that has led his team to success, where as BO......

"has achieved dick."

When I was doing the Peterson comparison, I was trying to do it from a pBills perspective.

Not to take crayonz' talking points from him, but Canada is not a real country, so I automatically attribute 50% of them to US and the other half to UK. (Quebec can go to hell for all I care)

If Wawrow finds this post, you're on your own, pal. :doh:

It's been a joke for years. Now, because of Obama you take a stand?

Yasser Arafat? Al Gore? “The Oil for Food Scandal" Kofi Annan?

Let me state that Obama has no accomplishments to earn this award

BUT

you Obam haters amaze me at times.

It's been a joke for years. Now, because of Obama you take a stand?

Yasser Arafat? Al Gore? “The Oil for Food Scandal" Kofi Annan?

Let me state that Obama has no accomplishments to earn this award

BUT

you Obam haters amaze me at times.

I think the big difference this time is that Arafat, Gore, and Annan had accomplishments, while Obama has none. Admittedly, Arafat's, Gore's, and Annan's accomplishments didn't warrant the award...but at least they did something.

Frankly...I think it would make more sense to award Obama the Nobel in Economics for taking over GM. Because although the award would be just as lunatic as giving him the Peace prize, it would at least be for an accomplishment.

Looks like it's not just many people of the US who is criticizing this decision, but many others as well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=a4sHGXuIqwu4

Obama’s ‘Premature Canonization’ by Nobel Panel Draws Criticism

Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- The five Norwegian politicians who awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama faced criticism for selecting the U.S. president before he converts promises of nuclear disarmament, Middle East peace or better East-West relations into reality.

While the Nobel committee has been faulted in the past for making political statements with its choice of laureates, the Obama award marked the first time it honored a head of state for laying out a vision rather than for practical accomplishments.

The honor is a “premature canonization,” said Fred Greenstein, a historian at Princeton University. “It seems to me that it is an embarrassment for the Nobel process.”

The deadline for nominations for the prize, which includes $1.4 million in cash, was Feb. 1, less than two weeks after Obama took office and before he launched initiatives on nuclear non-proliferation and rebuilding U.S. ties to the Muslim world.

“The prize is coming a little bit early,” Guenther Oettinger, leader of the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, told reporters in Berlin. “He’s at the beginning of his work, not the end.”

Two previous sitting U.S. presidents won the accolade: Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 for brokering peace between Japan and Russia, and Woodrow Wilson in 1919 for founding the League of Nations after World War I.

The five-member Norwegian committee, led by former Prime Minister Thorbjoern Jagland, hailed Obama for “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation.” It also cited a “new climate” in world politics and the restoration of “multilateral diplomacy” -- the very things that George W. Bush was accused of neglecting.

‘Rather Worrying’

“If they needed to choose a symbol, a hope rather than someone who has already accomplished peace with results, it’s rather worrying,” said Nicole Bacharan, a researcher at France’s National Foundation of Political Sciences. “It means there has been little done for peace in the world.”

Obama has barely made his first foreign policy moves. He sent 21,000 extra U.S. troops to Afghanistan and is weighing a further escalation, embarked on diplomacy to end the standoff over Iran’s nuclear program, junked a Bush-era plan for missile- defense sites in eastern Europe, and failed to persuade Israel to halt settlement construction on the West Bank.

In rare accord, both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute questioned the award, saying the 48-year-old president has yet to fulfill his promise as a conciliator.

“Nothing has changed in the Obama administration’s policies from previous U.S. governments, except statements, promises and hopes,” said Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for Hamas, the Palestinian faction that runs the Gaza Strip.

For Efraim Inbar, a politics professor at Bar-Ilan University near Tel Aviv, the prize shows that “the Nobel judges are unable to distinguish between words and deeds.”

Afghan Debate

The award was announced as Washington is consumed by a debate over Afghanistan, with leading Republicans urging the dispatch of additional troops and opponents warning Obama against plunging deeper into what they see as an unwinnable war.

Obama’s foreign policy “so far has brought a mixed result in Afghanistan,” said Ahmed Nader Nadery, a member of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission. “Afghans worry that his pragmatism may lead him to reduce the U.S. commitment as it becomes more politically difficult.”

Past honors to active politicians have come back to haunt the Nobel Committee. U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese diplomat Le Duc Tho shared the 1973 prize for negotiating a peace treaty that collapsed two years later when North Vietnam’s forces overran South Vietnam.

The Nobel Committee keeps its deliberations secret, disclosing only that it received a record 205 nominations for the 2009 peace prize, of which 33 were for organizations.

It may, however, “permit access to material which formed the basis” for the selection of Obama -- in the year 2059.

I was just seeing on CNN, and there was a reporter in Egypt, and the reporter stated how the Egyptians had fell in Love with BO after his visit, but then he said "that was then, and this is now" and went on to say, and I'm paraphrasing here " He talks a good game, but hasn't backed it up".

The rest of the world is noticing this as well, this is what many of us have been saying for a while now.

Looks like it's not just many people of the US who is criticizing this decision, but many others as well.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=a4sHGXuIqwu4

Obama’s ‘Premature Canonization’ by Nobel Panel Draws Criticism

Oct. 9 (Bloomberg) -- The five Norwegian politicians who awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to Barack Obama faced criticism for selecting the U.S. president before he converts promises of nuclear disarmament, Middle East peace or better East-West relations into reality.

While the Nobel committee has been faulted in the past for making political statements with its choice of laureates, the Obama award marked the first time it honored a head of state for laying out a vision rather than for practical accomplishments.

The honor is a “premature canonization,” said Fred Greenstein, a historian at Princeton University. “It seems to me that it is an embarrassment for the Nobel process.”

The deadline for nominations for the prize, which includes $1.4 million in cash, was Feb. 1, less than two weeks after Obama took office and before he launched initiatives on nuclear non-proliferation and rebuilding U.S. ties to the Muslim world.

“The prize is coming a little bit early,” Guenther Oettinger, leader of the German state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, told reporters in Berlin. “He’s at the beginning of his work, not the end.”

Two previous sitting U.S. presidents won the accolade: Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 for brokering peace between Japan and Russia, and Woodrow Wilson in 1919 for founding the League of Nations after World War I.

The five-member Norwegian committee, led by former Prime Minister Thorbjoern Jagland, hailed Obama for “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation.” It also cited a “new climate” in world politics and the restoration of “multilateral diplomacy” -- the very things that George W. Bush was accused of neglecting.

‘Rather Worrying’

“If they needed to choose a symbol, a hope rather than someone who has already accomplished peace with results, it’s rather worrying,” said Nicole Bacharan, a researcher at France’s National Foundation of Political Sciences. “It means there has been little done for peace in the world.”

Obama has barely made his first foreign policy moves. He sent 21,000 extra U.S. troops to Afghanistan and is weighing a further escalation, embarked on diplomacy to end the standoff over Iran’s nuclear program, junked a Bush-era plan for missile- defense sites in eastern Europe, and failed to persuade Israel to halt settlement construction on the West Bank.

In rare accord, both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute questioned the award, saying the 48-year-old president has yet to fulfill his promise as a conciliator.

“Nothing has changed in the Obama administration’s policies from previous U.S. governments, except statements, promises and hopes,” said Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for Hamas, the Palestinian faction that runs the Gaza Strip.

For Efraim Inbar, a politics professor at Bar-Ilan University near Tel Aviv, the prize shows that “the Nobel judges are unable to distinguish between words and deeds.”

Afghan Debate

The award was announced as Washington is consumed by a debate over Afghanistan, with leading Republicans urging the dispatch of additional troops and opponents warning Obama against plunging deeper into what they see as an unwinnable war.

Obama’s foreign policy “so far has brought a mixed result in Afghanistan,” said Ahmed Nader Nadery, a member of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission. “Afghans worry that his pragmatism may lead him to reduce the U.S. commitment as it becomes more politically difficult.”

Past honors to active politicians have come back to haunt the Nobel Committee. U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger and North Vietnamese diplomat Le Duc Tho shared the 1973 prize for negotiating a peace treaty that collapsed two years later when North Vietnam’s forces overran South Vietnam.

The Nobel Committee keeps its deliberations secret, disclosing only that it received a record 205 nominations for the 2009 peace prize, of which 33 were for organizations.

It may, however, “permit access to material which formed the basis” for the selection of Obama -- in the year 2059.

I was just seeing on CNN, and there was a reporter in Egypt, and the reporter stated how the Egyptians had fell in Love with BO after his visit, but then he said "that was then, and this is now" and went on to say, and I'm paraphrasing here " He talks a good game, but hasn't backed it up".

The rest of the world is noticing this as well, this is what many of us have been saying for a while now.

Fred Greenstein? Terrorist.

Nicole Bacharan? Terrorist.

Fawzi Barhoum? Terrorist.

Efraim Inbar? Terrorist.

Matt Lauer? Terrorist.

Joe Scarborough? Terrorist.

The White House terrorist list is gonna get mighty long this week.

:doh: Ironically, that - getting the Israelis and Palestinians to agree that he doesn't deserve the prize - is more of an accomplishment than anything the Nobel committee quoted as justification.

Ah the frothing right showing its true colors again. This thread is even more nuts than the Olympics/ACORN piffle combined.

Don't worry, we get it. You're embarassed. So is Obama but I expect you'll both get over it.

:doh:

Rush today said that Obama will be awarded the Economics prize for the great work he has done on the economic recovery of the US and the world and that the NFL will award the 2010 Lombardi Trophy to the KC Chiefs because of their efforts to improve their team this year (they are 0-4). :doh: