McKelvin to IR

Casey D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm not an orthopedic surgeon and no, I haven't seen his xrays or know the extent of the fracture but I know from my own experience that a fractured fibula typically takes 6 weeks or so for recovery. :thumbsup:

and you had to tackle and get tackled and jammed every day huh?

thankg GOD we got a starting cb on the messageboard as well as being a dr

well even assuming its an 8 week injury, that means you're playing half the season a man short.

This is prolly key to their decision to ir him, we allready carry 52 whilst waiting for Poz to return. Doing the same with McKelvin would bring it down to 51.

This is freaking silly! I know he has a fractured bone in his leg or whatever but he should be ready to go in 7 or 8 weeks, right? I thought it was stupid when the put Poz on IR his rookie year, when he could have played with like 7 weeks left in the season. This is a major bummer...

Its all part of the game- you play with what you have and so do your opponents. This will definitely cut into his development as a player, but what can you do....

Why doesn't the NFL have a short-term IR? Like the 15 day DL in baseball...I don't understand a guy who will miss 8 weeks now missing the whole year because of being placed on IR. Kinda put the teams in a bind, play a man down for 8 weeks and hopefully get your guy back for the last 5 weeks and playoffs or lose him for the year. Kinda sucks there's no short term IR.

Yeah, because second-year cornerbacks never progress.

This really hurts McKelvin's development.

That's the worst part about it. I think short term, we'll be OK if we stay healthy but there is no substitute for game experience in terms of development. Tough break for the kid.

GO BILLS!!!

Why doesn't the NFL have a short-term IR? Like the 15 day DL in baseball...I don't understand a guy who will miss 8 weeks now missing the whole year because of being placed on IR. Kinda put the teams in a bind, play a man down for 8 weeks and hopefully get your guy back for the last 5 weeks and playoffs or lose him for the year. Kinda sucks there's no short term IR.

Years ago there was IR that wasn't season ending. So teams like the Bills (in the Polian years) and Redskins became experts at stashing promising players who were not ready to compete for jobs yet. We had guys like Carlton Bailey, Keith McKeller, and Martin Mayhew (who we lost trying to hide on plan B as well) stashed on IR. During the strike, McKeller came off IR with his "back injury" & played. The NFL wanted to stop this & changed to a 53 man roster with 8 inactives on gameday (7 + 3rd QB if you have 3 QBs on the roster) so that players with short term injuries would just be inactive. If you want to stash a player on IR, he can't practice & learn the O or D, so you're much less likely to do the old Bills/Redskins chicanery.

This coaching staff can't develop players healthy or not. What a train wreck this team is. 7-9 looking like a stretch.

Faith, you are so right. We seem to lose guys to the IR in record numbers every year. The Jauron era has been just a joke. Hopefully it ends after this Sunday.