strength & conditioning

uticaclub

i know every NFL team must deal with injuries but it is week 4 & we could be missing up to 8 opening day starters, i know that r coaching is terrible, but could all those soft practices wand non hitting training camps just leaving our players to be more prone to getting hurt.

i know every NFL team must deal with injuries but it is week 4 & we could be missing up to 8 opening day starters, i know that r coaching is terrible, but could all those soft practices wand non hitting training camps just leaving our players to be more prone to getting hurt.

I went on a rant during the offseason about how the Buffalo Bills have consistently been at the top of the NFL in terms of injuries and players on IR since Rusty Jones left. The trend seems to be continuing this year. I think there is an undeniable correlation between the switch to Allaire, soft practices and the constant bombardment of injuries.

My views are the same. More so solidified. This is a very real problem with this team and has been for several years....

The Giants had like 9 starters out last week. They must run a soft camp and have a crappy training staff.

Or this is pro football and players get hurt.

The Bills have been at the top of the league for upwards of 4 years at this point in terms of players on IR and injuries. NOT a coincidence...sorry...

Conditioning, or lack thereof, is usually evidenced by muscle injuries. Broken bones and blown knees not so much. That's Poz, Leodis, Donte, Butler and Schouman off the top of my head. It's a violent, unforgiving way to make a living.

Very good point, I was thinking the exact same thing, no amount of strenght and conditioning is

going to prevent a broken bone. But it does seem that we are experiencing more injuries in

general.

Better strenght and conditioning training would reduce injuries (especially to our OL with back injuries) and it would help with the teams ability to finish games.

I remember in the 2-14 seasons, no matter how well the team played in the first 1/2 or 3/4 of the game, they would lose it in the fourth quarter. One reason was conditioning. Once Levy came in and hired Rusty Jones, the Bills played the whole game with energy and injuries were way down.

Losing Jones was a big mistake IMHO!

Very good point, I was thinking the exact same thing, no amount of strenght and conditioning is

going to prevent a broken bone. But it does seem that we are experiencing more injuries in

general.

You are completely right on this point. Although proper weight training can help strengthen bones. There is no way to prevent these types of injuries.

But you are omitting the equal number of players with muscular injuries:

Scott- High ankle sprain

Williams- Groin

McCargo- Calf

Nelson- Sprained shoulder

Bell- Groin

It just seems like every year we are getting destroyed by injuries...I'm only looking for answers...beyond "its a violent sport (which is true).

The Giants had like 9 starters out last week. They must run a soft camp and have a crappy training staff.

Last i saw the Eagles have been playing without their two best players (McNabb and Westbrook) plus a starting O-lineman,,,,and they have rung up 94 points in 3 games. I'm sure they have other injuries too. It sucks the Bills are so brittle but no one pays attention to the other NFL teams that are racked w/ injuries. There are tons of them. The good teams still get by.

Last i saw the Eagles have been playing without their two best players (McNabb and Westbrook) plus a starting O-lineman,,,,and they have rung up 94 points in 3 games. I'm sure they have other injuries too. It sucks the Bills are so brittle but no one pays attention to the other NFL teams that are racked w/ injuries. There are tons of them. The good teams still get by.

The Eagles' victories have come against teams that are a combined 0-6.

It would be interesting to know how much the Bills use machines and muscle isolation exercises as compared to whole body exercises like, sand bags, kettlebells, Olympic lifts, sled pushing and pulling, hill sprints, tire lifts, heavy bag punching and kicking and so on- the reason people went to machines is it seemed like a good way to limit injuries in training but sports are dynamic and for the last ten+ years more trainers have been going in the direction of trying to build strength and conditioning using full body exercises that build strength in all different angles and directions.

general.

Certain performance enhancing drugs have the side effect of making bones more brittle.

Combined with soft training camps, lack of hitting to get in game shape and piss poor training habits could be contributing to the rash of injuries (every year that Dick has been in charge)

It's not the "soft" practices. There has never been any evidence that teams who operate like this get injured more. Just the opposite, in fact.

However, the strength and conditioning coach can have a huge effect on the frequency of injuries. With two out of the last three years having far more that the average amount of injuries, it's time to take a look at this as a possible reason.

People get hurt in the construction trade also. So should we stop there and say "Well, it's construction and guys get hurt?" Or should we go ahead and look closer and notice that some job sites are more dangerous than others, which is just a fact, and then suggest that those sites make some changes.

Yeah, players get hurt. But some teams, and particularly some strength and conditioning routines, consistently produce higher and lower than average frequency of injury. There is no doubt about this.

Over the course of one year, a lot of injuries might just be bad luck. But over the course of three or more years, you can build a statistical picture of whether your team is injured more or less than average. Which is why it's time to notice that we seem to be injured a lot more than average. Remember 2007 and the way that virtually the whole defense was decimated? We seem to be doing something wrong.

We need Rusty Jones back. Or somebody as much like him as possible.

Conditioning, or lack thereof, is usually evidenced by muscle injuries. Broken bones and blown knees not so much. That's Poz, Leodis, Donte, Butler and Schouman off the top of my head. It's a violent, unforgiving way to make a living.

I'm sorry, but this is just not true. You can strengthen tendons and ligaments with training regimens, not to mention cartilage and bones. You can also build the supporting muscles in a way that makes them much more able to protect the joints.

Yes, it's violent. But you absolutely CAN lower the incidence of broken bones, blown joints and so on.

general.

Again, not true.

I have posted facts before in several other threads...

Feel free to do some research for yourself if you don't believe me.

Not so fast BZ. If someone makes a stark claim as you did, saying the Bills were at the top of the league for injuries, it is this statistical declaration which draws a legitimate call for links to some of the background and substantiation for this claim.

In fact, such a stark claim would seem to be one which while not proven (the issue of injuries in the NFL is in essence a complex enough issue that it cannot be proved or disproved with one or a handful of studies) there could has least be some statistical or unbiased sourcing indication that this is more than just a fact-free opinion (which we all are entitled to on the internet and which are easily rejected by right as well.

Without even the hint of any links to your stark statement, it would seem to be one easily considered to be the usual internet blather.

A call for at least some hints as to support for your claim falls no where near the level of a demonstration of research which your claims demand.

IMHO

Not so fast BZ. If someone makes a stark claim as you did, saying the Bills were at the top of the league for injuries, it is this statistical declaration which draws a legitimate call for links to some of the background and substantiation for this claim.

In fact, such a stark claim would seem to be one which while not proven (the issue of injuries in the NFL is in essence a complex enough issue that it cannot be proved or disproved with one or a handful of studies) there could has least be some statistical or unbiased sourcing indication that this is more than just a fact-free opinion (which we all are entitled to on the internet and which are easily rejected by right as well.

Without even the hint of any links to your stark statement, it would seem to be one easily considered to be the usual internet blather.

A call for at least some hints as to support for your claim falls no where near the level of a demonstration of research which your claims demand.

IMHO

Have you ever heard the phrase: "Less is more?" -May pertain to your writing style. IMHO. (Just being a smart ass).

Here are some stats to back up what I have said. As I stated in my initial response...this could have been found by doing a simple search on member posts, as I have posted it previously.

2007: 17 players on IR. Including 10 starters....this is an extraordinary amount. ...http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/injuries;_ylt=AgV5gOF6_mgUfpFg8QeYubt.2bYF (2007) -----LED THE LEAGUE-------

2008: While last year was better in terms of players placed on IR. We still had 10 by the end of the year and 9 when this article was written. In additions, impact players such as Jabari Greer, Donte Whitner, Terrance McGee and Trent Edwards all missed significant time (several weeks.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/inju...Yubt.2bYF"

I don't have any (and would love some) stats on the 2006 season. This was the season we started out with the tragic Kevin Everett injury, along with losing several key starters in the first couple weeks....

**EDIT*** I just realized that the links may no longer be functional. SO I guess people will have to take me at my word or not believe me. I don't really care which...I already know the facts...