Fewell pre game comments regarding Saints

Beerball

PF's scheme does not fill me with confidence for this weekend. It's tailor made for Drew to light up the scoreboard. I think the Bills will make it competitive, more so than some of the pundits think, but I just can't see the Defense holding the Saints under 35 points this game. Maybe not even under 40.

I'll happily eat my words though ...

Aren't game plans supposed to be at least a little secretive? Is the DC supposed to come out and tell one of the best quarterbacks in the league, "This is what we will do to you Sunday"?

In today's game there's so much film, so much prep that there are very few surprises. There are certainly exceptions to this but overall, everyone knows what the other team likes to do and wants to do before the game starts. It comes down to execution and personnel.

In today's game there's so much film, so much prep that there are very few surprises. There are certainly exceptions to this but overall, everyone knows what the other team likes to do and wants to do before the game starts. It comes down to execution and personnel.

I understand all that, it just seems strange to see our DC actually telling them a four man rush is all that will be necessary. Why not let them have some questions going in? It may not matter in the long run, but it doesn't seem like it could hurt.

I understand all that, it just seems strange to see our DC actually telling them a four man rush is all that will be necessary. Why not let them have some questions going in? It may not matter in the long run, but it doesn't seem like it could hurt.

No, you're right. I'm not disagreeing with you. It doesn't make much sense to me either even though the downside is probably minimal (even if it's a ruse and PF is planning on rushing 6 or 7 every play ... that would be sweet. Disasterous, but sweet).

No, you're right. I'm not disagreeing with you. It doesn't make much sense to me either even though the downside is probably minimal (even if it's a ruse and PF is planning on rushing 6 or 7 every play ... that would be sweet. Disasterous, but sweet).

Agree. It might be fun to see for a while, but in the end could lead to really bad things. I do think if kept close we have a good chance this weekend though. This could be a huge confidence builder for these guys.

Honestly the Bills need to score big if they are going to win the game at least 30 points (Probably more). Now what makes me fear the saints is that they lite up the Eagles who have a pretty good secondary and a decent pass rush. Now I think the Bills secondary is better but not by a huge margin. The Bills pass rush is a about as good as the Eagles (No Jim Johnson and they have some injuries) probably a little worse but not that big of a margin.

I think the key to defensive success is similar to the Pats* just rush 4 and hope you get pressure because if you blitz he will make you pay (Although against the Saints you might have to blitz more with 5 or 6 guys). IF Schobel and CO (Hopefully Maybin will show up and bring some pressure as well) can get pressure without blitzing that much than we have a good chance of holding them under 24 points.

The offense is going to need to show up and the D is going to need to at least limit what the Saints can do on offense with pass rush and good coverage. As far what I think the offense is going to need to do is run the no huddle BUT don't run it as a hurry up all the time take your time much like they did against the Pats* on that last TD drive. Give the D a breather once in a while and run a slower no huddle (Just once or twice during each half keep the tempo up for the most part just keep the D off the field for 5 minutes on a drive).

Just sit back in a Tampa-2 zone and wait for Brees to make mistakes. Sounds like a plan.

to be clear, that's not what he said, and Beerball is quoting from my story. and i denote that Fewell said he's confident a four-man rush will be enough. and then i also note that the Bills haven't been conventional in attacking the quarterback this season.

there was one interesting play against the Bucs near the Bills goal-line where Marcus Stroud actually dropped back and was near the goal line and tipped a pass away. the play didn't count because the Bucs were called for some kind of penalty.

my guess, and this is only a guess, is that the Bills plan to continue to be exotic, something Brees noted in his conference call, crediting the Bills for being very good for disguising what they're doing.

and Fewell didn't tip off what he was going to do exactly. in fact, he started out one answer by saying, "Here's what we're going to do ... " and then stopped short with a laugh, saying, something to the effect, "no, I'm not going to tell you what we're going to do."

i don't think the Bills have the horses to keep up with the Saints this weekend, but if the wind blows and the rain falls, it might prove to be an equalizer. another thing i think to look out for is whether the Bills offense can play to gregg's ego and trick him up, or whether the "all-knowing one" has learned his lesson.

that's my take.

jw

to be clear, that's not what he said, and Beerball is quoting from my story. and i denote that Fewell said he's confident a four-man rush will be enough. and then i also note that the Bills haven't been conventional in attacking the quarterback this season.

there was one interesting play against the Bucs near the Bills goal-line where Marcus Stroud actually dropped back and was near the goal line and tipped a pass away. the play didn't count because the Bucs were called for some kind of penalty.

my guess, and this is only a guess, is that the Bills plan to continue to be exotic, something Brees noted in his conference call, crediting the Bills for being very good for disguising what they're doing.

and Fewell didn't tip off what he was going to do exactly. in fact, he started out one answer by saying, "Here's what we're going to do ... " and then stopped short with a laugh, saying, something to the effect, "no, I'm not going to tell you what we're going to do."

i don't think the Bills have the horses to keep up with the Saints this weekend, but if the wind blows and the rain falls, it might prove to be an equalizer. another thing i think to look out for is whether the Bills offense can play to gregg's ego and trick him up, or whether the "all-knowing one" has learned his lesson.

that's my take.

jw

I was kidding.

Look I'm not overly impressed with the Saints. Frankly I find it insulting to even compare them to the 2007 Patriots. I'm sure Fewell is more than happy to oblige the Saints offense worshiping that is going on so that when the Bills smack them down it just makes us look that much better.

Seriously Wawrow I hope this is your mentality too because I find it hard to believe that a !@#$ could look at the Saints and not think we have at least a 50% chance of exposing them as non-contenders. How could anyone buy into the freaking Saints to the extent necessary to pick them over your own favorite team? I mean at least with the Patriots it used to be reasonable....but I think I'll make the Saints beat me before I accept that they are one of the elite contenders in the league.

Wow they funky symboled the phrase <B><I><L><L><S> <I><N><S><I><D><E><R>??? unbelievable. Wawrow that funky symbol word was not any expletive. :rolleyes:

Look I'm not overly impressed with the Saints. Frankly I find it insulting to even compare them to the 2007 Patriots. I'm sure Fewell is more than happy to oblige the Saints offense worshiping that is going on so that when the Bills smack them down it just makes us look that much better.

Seriously Wawrow I hope this is your mentality too because I find it hard to believe that a !@#$ could look at the Saints and not think we have at least a 50% chance of exposing them as non-contenders. How could anyone buy into the freaking Saints to the extent necessary to pick them over your own favorite team? I mean at least with the Patriots it used to be reasonable....but I think I'll make the Saints beat me before I accept that they are one of the elite contenders in the league.

i'll take that bet this weekend.

jw

PF's scheme does not fill me with confidence for this weekend. It's tailor made for Drew to light up the scoreboard. I think the Bills will make it competitive, more so than some of the pundits think, but I just can't see the Defense holding the Saints under 35 points this game. Maybe not even under 40.

I'll happily eat my words though ...

Our defense is tailor made to stop offenses like these. Brees may get a lot of yards, but he wont get lots of points.

Maybe he is not telling the truth about the 4 man rush.... <_<

How about the incredibly more dynamic and threatening Patriots offense? Saints don't scare me. Go sit on a rusty pineapple.

The Bills D stopped the Pats? This the same Pats offense you described as "on the decline"?

Anyway, the Saints Offense is much better than the Pats. They can run and they obviously can pass---and score.

Very well put :censored:<_< I couldn't agree with you more GO FREAKIN BILLS!!!

The Bills D stopped the Pats? This the same Pats offense you described as "on the decline"?

Anyway, the Saints Offense is much better than the Pats. They can run and they obviously can pass---and score.

The Bills D did stop the Pats. That game was won if it wasnt for a fluke fumble. If you think the Bills didnt stop the Pats based on the fact that they let them run down the field 80 yards with 5 minutes left then you are not thinking correctly. The Bills gameplanned for that perfectly. They gave them the yards they needed in return for 3 minutes off the clock. If its not for that fumble the Bills need a first down and the game is over for sure. Even if they run into a 3 and out they still punt the ball and make it a long distance for the Pats with no timeouts and needing a TD.

IMO the Bills and the coaching staff(i cant believe im saying this) played that game perfectly and dictated to the Pats instead of the other way around. I tip my hat to Juron on this one even with that loss. Its not his fault McKelvin cant hold onto the ball.

+1 on the Saints offense. But they are different. They are very similar to the Pats of 07. IMO they will be the highest powered offense after this year is over. Move over 07 Pats and passing TD record. Drew Brees is tearing down your house.

that's my take.

jw

That could very well prove interesting.

Honestly the Bills need to score big if they are going to win the game at least 30 points (Probably more). Now what makes me fear the saints is that they lite up the Eagles who have a pretty good secondary and a decent pass rush. Now I think the Bills secondary is better but not by a huge margin. The Bills pass rush is a about as good as the Eagles (No Jim Johnson and they have some injuries) probably a little worse but not that big of a margin.

I think the key to defensive success is similar to the Pats* just rush 4 and hope you get pressure because if you blitz he will make you pay (Although against the Saints you might have to blitz more with 5 or 6 guys). IF Schobel and CO (Hopefully Maybin will show up and bring some pressure as well) can get pressure without blitzing that much than we have a good chance of holding them under 24 points.

The offense is going to need to show up and the D is going to need to at least limit what the Saints can do on offense with pass rush and good coverage. As far what I think the offense is going to need to do is run the no huddle BUT don't run it as a hurry up all the time take your time much like they did against the Pats* on that last TD drive. Give the D a breather once in a while and run a slower no huddle (Just once or twice during each half keep the tempo up for the most part just keep the D off the field for 5 minutes on a drive).

They have a decent secondary and a good pass rush

Don't be fooled if past performance is of any value. Fewell blitzes like a MAD MAN!!! I don't recall the article but I believe we were one of the teams that blitzed the most in the NFL last year. I think we also ran a LOT of blitzes against Tampa Bay as well. What would TRULY be a surprise is if he relied primarily on only a 4 man rush.

Fewell WILL blitz but for some reason I don't think we will do it as often as we usually do which is pretty often. In theory isn't our defense designed to thwart exactly this type of offense? The cover 2 is designed to prevent the big play and stop the run. Those are exactly NO's strengths.

I actually have an odd concern in that the incredible speed of Reggie Bush could pose a problem for us. Not usually that high on the threat list with Brees, those WR and the other between the tackles RBs but watch out!

most of their points have come from playing putrid offenses and turovers...Detroit, and a kevin Kolb 3 INT led Eagles Offense won't do much to help the score. We won't be turning the ball over, and they wont be able to run vs us. I'm also not afraid of Colston, McGee and Co. tend to do well vs slower big receivers.

Last year Chargers Patriots and Broncos

How could anyone buy into the freaking Saints to the extent necessary to pick them over your own favorite team?

How could anyone "buy" that the Saints which have averaged over 40 points per game (albeit only 2 games so far) while the Bills have averaged 29 can win? Along with the fact that the Vegas line is Saints by 6. I'm not saying the Saints are a dead lock for this game, but it's not a big stretch that people think they just might win. And "pick them over your own favorite team"? Please, what does that have to do with who you think (which is the key word, not hope) will win?

The Bills D did stop the Pats. That game was won if it wasnt for a fluke fumble. If you think the Bills didnt stop the Pats based on the fact that they let them run down the field 80 yards with 5 minutes left then you are not thinking correctly.

Yes, that's the part I was thinking about.

Actually, they scored twice in the last 5 min. If you want me to believe that the "gameplan" was to "let" the pats march down the field and score--just to chew up 3 minutes of clock and give us the ball back.......

Who lets a team that's down by 2 TDs back into a game just to burn some clock???? I can't believe you're saying this either.