Wedding Question??

Stl Bills

Ok so my future inlaws are already being a major pain in the ass. My fiance's paren't just spend the last year wasting about 20k a piece in lawyer fees suing each other over the most rediculous law suit (I'll spare you the details on it) you've ever heard of. The judge just ruled the case "a wash" and neither party was awarded anything. Now we are trying to get married and they are acting like they don't have any money to help us with the wedding.....which I think they are being honest about it just pisses me off that they spent so much money arguing over "who helped the kids more" and now have put themselves in a position where they can't help there kids at all. Her mom seems to think that my parents should more or less split the wedding bill 50/50. My parents do have money, but IMO its besides the point.....they've helped us out on numerous occasions. When my fiance's car blew up they gave her $5000 for down payment on a car and they've been paying for 100% of her college (she's getting her nursing degree). I know my parent's will help, I just don't want to ask, nor do I think I should have to. My question is......is it even still common for the bride's parents to pay for the majority of the expenses? I know my parents would be more than willing to pay for everything that is typical of the groom's expenses I just don't think its right that her mom is suggesting that they split the bill.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so my future inlaws are already being a major pain in the ass. My fiance's paren't just spend the last year wasting about 20k a piece in lawyer fees suing each other over the most rediculous law suit (I'll spare you the details on it) you've ever heard of. The judge just ruled the case "a wash" and neither party was awarded anything. Now we are trying to get married and they are acting like they don't have any money to help us with the wedding.....which I think they are being honest about it just pisses me off that they spent so much money arguing over "who helped the kids more" and now have put themselves in a position where they can't help there kids at all. Her mom seems to think that my parents should more or less split the wedding bill 50/50. My parents do have money, but IMO its besides the point.....they've helped us out on numerous occasions. When my fiance's car blew up they gave her $5000 for down payment on a car and they've been paying for 100% of her college (she's getting her nursing degree). I know my parent's will help, I just don't want to ask, nor do I think I should have to. My question is......is it even still common for the bride's parents to pay for the majority of the expenses? I know my parents would be more than willing to pay for everything that is typical of the groom's expenses I just don't think its right that her mom is suggesting that they split the bill.

Things have changed. Tradition always was that the bride's parents paid. More and more, it seems to have changed from that.

Given your upset with your in laws, you may want to have them start your soon to be wife's car in the future. :devil:

my parents and the inlaws split 50-50. worked out even better than only my wife's side paying as far as how nice things turned out, plus it gave my side input on the planning

My answer is that you spoke exclusively about $$$ and not a word about your betrothed and the life you hope to have with her, she with you.

You both should go somewhere and figure some things out. And be mindful, that a wedding is not about you. It is about people that are happy for you and took time to show up - so none of this "I'm the most important thing on Earth" crap.

Also - instruct your wedding party - Best Man, Maid of Honor, the others etc., about their ambassadorial duties. They will go out and deliver drinks to old women who would never sidle up to a bar, they will visit every table, and there they will invite young and old to the dance floor. They will deliver snacks and cake to the tables after the meal.

Your wedding guests are just that - your guests. Treat them accordingly.

or go see a JP and have a decent party.

You really think going to Vegas to watch JP play in a UFL game will be helpful???

Oh, they will be in Vegas I guess... And getting married there can be cheap... (and tacky) :devil:

My in-laws paid for the entire wedding. My parents paid for the rehearsal dinner. Very traditional.

Here is my own personal philosophy:

The only time anybody's parents should pay for a wedding is if the two newlyweds are 21 years old or younger and they haven't had sex yet. If you've already put the screws to your bride-to-be, then her parents don't owe you anything else...you've taken everything they have.

Otherwise, pay for it yourself.

Do all parties a huge favor and have the smallest wedding that you and your wife only can afford or go see a JP and have a decent party.

This is essentially what my wife and I did ... absolutely no regrets. My in-laws were /are great so I feel blessed. We just did not want to stick them with an expense that they really did not need.

Just say "screw it", and go to the courthouse.

If your fiancee's up to it, of course. Weddings are for brides, anyway. I never met a groom that really cared - the smart ones just seem to say "Yeah, sounds good dear" and agree to whatever the bride wants.

My answer is that you spoke exclusively about $$$ and not a word about your betrothed and the life you hope to have with her, she with you.

You both should go somewhere and figure some things out. And be mindful, that a wedding is not about you. It is about people that are happy for you and took time to show up - so none of this "I'm the most important thing on Earth" crap.

Also - instruct your wedding party - Best Man, Maid of Honor, the others etc., about their ambassadorial duties. They will go out and deliver drinks to old women who would never sidle up to a bar, they will visit every table, and there they will invite young and old to the dance floor. They will deliver snacks and cake to the tables after the meal.

Your wedding guests are just that - your guests. Treat them accordingly.

More advice for you to do it yourself.

Pay for it yourself (if you can), make sure the wife is happy and don't worry about anyone else. If they aren't paying for it, they get zero input, which is nice.

My advice. Get married pay for it anyway that doesn't cause problems. But here's the thing. Move your wife away from her family and as far away as possible otherwise she'll turn into her mother and that sounds like it would suck. We got married and moved 3000 miles away ASAP. My wife is nothing like her mother and I atribute that to the fact that she's been nowhere near her for about the last 30 years.

My question is......is it even still common for the bride's parents to pay for the majority of the expenses? I know my parents would be more than willing to pay for everything that is typical of the groom's expenses I just don't think its right that her mom is suggesting that they split the bill.

I'm not sure if it's common, but my wife and I paid for our own wedding last year. My family paid for the booze. No hard feelings.

I'm not sure if it's common, but my wife and I paid for our own wedding last year. My family paid for the booze. No hard feelings.

Wait I'm confused. I thought you and your wife paid for it, then you said you family paid for the booze. What's left to pay for after the booze? :devil: