Philadelphia Daily News Takes Shots at Buffalo

May Day 10

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/200...in_Buffalo.html

Coldhearted in Buffalo

THE BUFFALO AREA is probably a great place to live - unless you play for the Bills.

On Sunday, safety Donte Whitner had about $400,000 worth of jewelry stolen from his home in Hamburg, a Buffalo suburb.

Police said the theft was reported about 2 hours after the Bills won their home opener against Tampa Bay.

Last week, teammate Leodis McKelvin, who also lives in Hamburg, had his front lawn vandalized by two teenagers after the Bills' season-opening loss to New England.

Yesterday, McKelvin chose not to prosecute the two 16-year-old boys, who admitted to spray-painting an obscenity on his lawn. The boys will avoid criminal charges but still have to perform 120 hours of community service.

Police said the incidents are unrelated.

Whitner told the Associated Press yesterday that the theft was "very disappointing."

The recent incidents come on the heels of an odd situation involving Bills receiver Terrell Owens.

In June, Owens said he had trouble renting a home in the Orchard Park suburb of Buffalo because residents feared the drama he might bring to their neighborhood.

The bottom line? If you're an NFL player, Buffalo might not be the best town to shuffle off to.

Tom Mahon

Send e-mail to highandinside@phillynews.com

heh. Philly, the place where they had a jail/courtroom built into the stadium, of all places to talk about this. Okay.

Have you observed the behaviors of some Bills fans at the Ralph over the years?

Sorry, our fan base really has no room to talk.

Yeah i've been told by other fans we have one of the worst reps for fans in the league for behavior. Not surprised though.

I don't attend many home games but the last two times I was there I was seriously disappointed. We were playing Miami in 07 I believe in December and a kid who couldnt have been more than 13 or14 was wearing a Culpepper jersey, the kid was standing in the concession line and about 10 drunk idiots circled this poor kid ans started chanting "A--Hole" Very classless. I have no problem wit you being drunk or an idiot but there is a time and place for it.

I know its not all fans. I live in So Fla wear the retardation is rampant. The fans no NOTHING about football and are probably the most fair weather fans you have ever seen. I have been going to the Bills/Fish game since I was 11 and I have never seen a site like that.

If I were in another stadium and that was my kid I would be standing in front of the judge about 30 minutes later.

After going to a Bills/Jets game two years ago I can honestly say I'll never go back in the stadium again....

Food, beer, fists, insults...everything was flying. It was sickening....

No thanks...I'll stay home and chill w/my 56" Plasma..

This coming from a city known for the police fire bombing an entire city block in 1980. F*&K them! Philadelphia is a dirty crime ridden piece of sh&t town that lost it's relevance in the early 1800's.

Let me know when the Eagles win another NFC championship game w/o TO. Let me know when Donavan Mcnabb stops choking and/or puking with the game on the line.....

After going to a Bills/Jets game two years ago I can honestly say I'll never go back in the stadium again....

Food, beer, fists, insults...everything was flying. It was sickening....

No thanks...I'll stay home and chill w/my 56" Plasma..

Bills/Jets games are ALWAYS the most violent, out of control games. Lots of loud mouth NY fans dont mix in well with the already volatile crowd.

But it has always been that way with the Jets games going back as far as I can remember (late-80s)

This coming from a city known for the police fire bombing an entire city block in 1980. F*&K them! Philadelphia is a dirty crime ridden piece of sh&t town that lost it's relevance in the early 1800's.

That city has been on a downward spiral ever since Benny Franklin kicked the bucket...might be time to listen to the Bill Burr rant again.

I find both fan bases to be quite similar in terms of behavior...Philly not as edgy as years gone by... Buffalo becoming more edgy.

This is coming from the town that had a courthouse and jail cells in the Vet. They were known for throwing batteries, booing and throwing snowballs at Santa along with many other classy stories. The Vet for years was known as the worst place to go into and play if you were visiting. Not until the Raiders and a few stabbings in the stands did they lose their spot at the top.

I have no problem with our fans or anyone elses in this league when you are the home team. Its the out of towners that come in and act however they feel almost all the time. I happen to be one of the rowdier fans in my section at the Ralph. The thing is I generally dont do anything that others do in my section I just do it a little louder and crazier. Banging on the seats, standing up, yelling, lots of bad words.

We had a guy with a 5 year old (approx) in front of us this past Sunday. Im not one to go out of my way and make things uncomfortable for anyone. I just dont see how anyone who has been to a game before can justify taking their 5 year old to a game and expect not to hear or see some craziness. In the end zone no less. I understand they have every right to enjoy the game just like everyone else. But when it interferes with my enjoyment of the game I generally dont stop just for them. I wasnt the only one kicking the bleachers, in fact I waited until everyone else was already doing it, and they ended up standing so it didnt matter.

My point is that if your one of the people that wants to sit at a game and stay seated in your heated seats, drink your hot cup of coffee, and clap like your at the masters then you are probably at the wrong event. If you like going to the games that much you probably like the crowd with some exceptions, and expect it every game. Of course the people peeing on other people is out of hand, and people having sex in the bathrooms is out of line. But for the most part some loud swearing, yelling, and arguing is to be expected anywhere the fans are passionate about their team.

Ive been to San Diego, Oakland, and San Francisco for games in my life and I must say that San Francisco fans are the worst fans I've ever seen, almost no emotion what so ever. San Diego wasnt far behind. It almost didnt feel like I was at a football game. Oakland is a different story on its own but generally not that bad outside the black hole. My opinion is that if you dont like the rowdiness then you should buy tickets in the family section (thats what its there for) or stay at home on your flat screens, the crowd and excitement is most of the game day experience anyway.

Anyway, Im dont with my rant after I have gotten completely off topic.

Have you observed the behaviors of some Bills fans at the Ralph over the years?

Sorry, our fan base really has no room to talk.

It has been many years since i have sat in the ralph ... visiting other stadiums though I will tell you that drunken rowdy behavior is not unusual. Alcohol and footbal seem to mix and the results are not always pretty. I would be hard pressed to take a kid to a game.

This guy is merely stating fact. I think we need to grow thicker skins. The guy from Providence paper a few weeks back was truly an ass. This guy is not.

no he's not. he just tried to tie together the Whitner incident (which, as it turns out was probably people that Donte left in his home), the McKelvin incident, and the fact that some people in OP didnt want a media circus on their front lawn... and from those 3 separate, unrelated incidents gets "If you're an NFL player, Buffalo might not be the best town to shuffle off to."

!@#$ him