End of an Era

Whites Bay

I'll make this a quick one, as the board is just now coming off suicide watch.

Okay, the Bills lost. What else is new? We're all pissed off after a Bills loss. What else is new? My take on it, however, focuses not on the Bills loss, but the Bills' opponent, the Pats*. Even with the great drive at the end of the game, with the extra downs they received, the media ball washing...Brady* looked like crap. I've never seen the guy overthrow, underthrow, or just plain-out miss like he did on Monday Night.

My gut call? You finally saw the crack in the dynasty for which we've been waiting. Nothing happens by revolution, only by evolution. They're not going to implode and go 5-11 this season. But the Pats" showed themselves to be closer to "Ordinary", and much farther away from "Unbeatable" than they've done in years. I'll dig this thread out at the end of the season, and we'll see how much crow I'm going to eat. But I think teams around the league are going to look at this game as a blueprint. The myth has been shattered.

It may be the end of an era because of all the veteran leadership gone on D, leaving behind a lot of crappy players like Tully Banta Cain in more prominent roles. But Brady is still by FAR the best QB in the league. The Bills didn't lose so much as he won.

It may be the end of an era because of all the veteran leadership gone on D, leaving behind a lot of crappy players like Tully Banta Cain in more prominent roles. But Brady is still by FAR the best QB in the league. The Bills didn't lose so much as he won.

:wallbash:

When the Bills got decent pressure on Brady, he folded like a cheap suit. When they didn't, like the last 2 drives, he tore through them. The guy has had great blocking, defense, and ST's for most of his career. Now the chinks in the armor are starting to show in all three areas.

The Bills LOST this game. As they often-times do.

:wallbash:

When the Bills got decent pressure on Brady, he folded like a cheap suit. When they didn't, like the last 2 drives, he tore through them. The guy has had great blocking, defense, and ST's for most of his career. Now the chinks in the armor are starting to show in all three areas.

The Bills LOST this game. As they often-times do.

Disagree. It was his first game really since the Pats-Giants SB. He may have been a little shaky/rusty the 1st half, but he came thru big-time when it counted. Frustrating loss for sure (especially on MNF), but IMO there's no real shame in going down like that. Many positives came out of that game that can be built upon (IF Jauron knows what he's doing ;) )

Another thing I forgot to mention is coaching and how the Patriots have good coaching and the Bills don't, which I think is obvious. Monday night was exhibit Z (to go along with exhibits A-Y from the past 3 years) as to why this coaching staff will NEVER win a SB, and even winning a playoff game, should they get the team there, is highly questionable. McKelvin should have been told "return the kick no matter what, take 6 seconds off from the clock, and get down."

Another thing I forgot to mention is coaching and how the Patriots have good coaching and the Bills don't, which I think is obvious. Monday night was exhibit Z (to go along with exhibits A-Y from the past 3 years) as to why this coaching staff will NEVER win a SB, and even winning a playoff game, should they get the team there, is highly questionable. McKelvin should have been told "return the kick no matter what, take 6 seconds off from the clock, and get down."

even 5 yards deep in the end zone? He should have been told, " whatever you do, DON'T FUMBLE!!"

Okay, the Bills lost. What else is new? We're all pissed off after a Bills loss. What else is new? My take on it, however, focuses not on the Bills loss, but the Bills' opponent, the Pats*. Even with the great drive at the end of the game, with the extra downs they received, the media ball washing...Brady* looked like crap. I've never seen the guy overthrow, underthrow, or just plain-out miss like he did on Monday Night.

My gut call? You finally saw the crack in the dynasty for which we've been waiting. Nothing happens by revolution, only by evolution. They're not going to implode and go 5-11 this season. But the Pats" showed themselves to be closer to "Ordinary", and much farther away from "Unbeatable" than they've done in years. I'll dig this thread out at the end of the season, and we'll see how much crow I'm going to eat. But I think teams around the league are going to look at this game as a blueprint. The myth has been shattered.

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Give it until at least mid-season for both teams. I hope you are correct but Brady* is coming off a serious injury and 53 weeks of not playing in real games. He* was due to be rusty.

even 5 yards deep in the end zone? He should have been told, " whatever you do, DON'T FUMBLE!!"

Yep, even 5 yards deep in the endzone. The object was to get rid of the 2 minute warning as a TO (outside of the change of possession), and then get a first down. But true, a "protect the ball at all costs" should have been issued. Although you think he'd know something like that. :wallbash:

Yep, even 5 yards deep in the endzone. The object was to get rid of the 2 minute warning as a TO (outside of the change of possession), and then get a first down. But true, a "protect the ball at all costs" should have been issued. Although you think he'd know something like that. :wallbash:

One would hope.

End of an Era, Pats* dynasty cracked on MNF

You might be speaking a little too quick there. Were you saying the same thing when the Bills pounded them 31-0 on opening day a few years ago? They went on and won the Superbowl. They lost to the lowly Jets a few years ago, and wet on and won the Superbowl. They got in the win column and that is what football is all about. I would love to get outplayed every game if we walked away with wins.

The coaching staff did its job Mckelvin has a learning disability or something. He lost this game.

The coaching staff did its job Mckelvin has a learning disability or something. He lost this game.

The coaching staff is deficient. They've proven it over the past few years. It was a large part of losing, but there were other things that led to the loss as well, like every time Trent audibled, it went from a pass to a run.

If that performance was Brady when rusty then hang on tight for when he gets back in gear and starts cranking it up. :wallbash:

A rusty Brady was Offensive Player of the Week and everyone hear who cricitizes his performance would kill to have him setting up behind center for the Bills next week.

I think the thought is delusional. We lost the game we were outscored, Out yardaged, and out time of possession. The fact is this Brady missed a full season but in Brady fashion he did his patented two score comeback to win in less then 5 minutes to play in the game.

End of an Era, Pats* dynasty cracked on MNF

You might be speaking a little too quick there. Were you saying the same thing when the Bills pounded them 31-0 on opening day a few years ago? They went on and won the Superbowl. They lost to the lowly Jets a few years ago, and wet on and won the Superbowl. They got in the win column and that is what football is all about. I would love to get outplayed every game if we walked away with wins.

First off, nice avatar.

Secondly, no, I wasn't saying the same thing when the Bills pounded the Pats* 31-0. I was at that game, and was wondering (in between Labatts) whether the Milloy investment would keep paying dividends. The Labatts wore off, and so did the investment.

Third, my mistake. I'm taking a long view here, which is probably lost (a) on an internet board; and (b) on most of the <15-year-old posters on said board. I've thought about this for awhile, and I'll try to put it in some perspective.

1) A million years ago, I lived in Orange County, CA, and tried to support the then-local Rams. I endured years of frustration as the Montana/Young-led 49ers treated the Rams like a ball of string. What was the high-water mark of the great 49ers team? Hard to say. My guess is that it was the "No Punt Game". They met their match in the Kelly-led K-Gun, and never returned to form after that season. Did I know it at the time? No one did.

2) On the opposite side of that coin, I (and many of the folks on this board) screamed throats hoarse supporting our Bills throughout the early 90s. UnstoppaBill. Until 1994. What happened? I don't know, I guess I could look it up. But they didn't make it out of the playoffs in 1994. None of us knew that was the end. But it was certainly the turning point.

3) The Cowboys. America's favorite enema. They were unbeatable in the early 90s, as Bills fans know too well. But after the 1995 Super Bowl, the 1996 season was a death spiral in slow motion. Smith goes out injured, Irvin gets a five-game suspension, and they became mediocre. Not terrible overnight, just....you know...another beatable team.

It's very hard to point to a signal moment in a rise or fall. I admit that. What I saw on Monday Night, however, was not just another Pats* comeback/slaughter/ass-whipping against the Bills. The Bills went into Foxboro Stadium with a bunch of nobodies - NOBODIES - on the offensive line and tight end, with two back up running backs, and a new offensive coordinator, and punched the Pats* until they wept. And if not for one stupid, boneheaded play on the part of McKelvin, they walk out of this winners.

Again, I'm not talking about the Bills here. I think you now have 14 defensive coordinators (I'm not counting Fewell) looking at that game and realizing that the Pats* are MUCH more beatable than they used to be. Wonder how the line changed in the upcoming Jets game before-and-after MNF? Perhaps years of losing talent at the Front Office, Coaching and Player level have finally caught up. The high-water mark for the Pats* will be remembered as the 2007 Super Bowl. A sure sign that they've gone into decline, however, will be the opening Monday Night Game in Foxboro when the Buffalo Bills brought in the junior varsity squad from Mt. St. Mary's Sisters-of-the-Blind and knocked the front teeth out of the hometown favorites. Long view, I admit. But I'm solidly on the bandwagon.

The Patriots almost completely changed out their defense this off season and their most important player is coming off a serious injury. They weren't going to look great in this game but the did what they almost always do - they found a way.

Every season people want to bury this team. It's a little early.

The Patriots almost completely changed out their defense this off season and their most important player is coming off a serious injury. They weren't going to look great in this game but the did what they almost always do - they found a way.

Every season people want to bury this team. It's a little early.

Oh, no, Darin. I'm not burying them. I'm saying they're a lot closer to mediocre than in times past. Because by the time they replace the talent from all those losses on defense (and WHEN does Wilfork hit the road?), they'll start losing talent on offense.

Not a collapse. A corrosion. A team that can probably count on a lot of 10-6 seasons in front of them, like the Bills in the mid-to-late 90s. And we know how that worked out.

Unfortunately, I believe the credit belongs to the Eagles and Giants who smacked Brady around pretty good in 2007. The Chiefs followed that up in 2008 in the first game where Brady's season ended. The Bills just copied what other teams already figured out. I agree on your point that the Patriots have fallen back to the pack somewhat. They looked very ordinary to me other than Brady when he got it going.

Did the American Revolution transpire via Evolution? Damn, I always thought France came in to save our innovative a s s e s. Just for that, I'm gonna dust off a Bordeaux.

Good for you! I've started on Malbecs, myself. Similar quality for about 30% less per bottle. Had a great Stellenbosch the other night, however.

As for the Revolution, I guess it took from 1775 through final surrender in 1783. No "thunderclap", that's for sure.

Take Randy Moss out of the equation and the Patriots are downright average. Moss is just that good.

great great point.... i think moss and brady and bellicheck are what makes that team go...

lets see what happens in buffalo... i get the feeling the next game will be for the division title...

Unfortunately, I believe the credit belongs to the Eagles and Giants who smacked Brady around pretty good in 2007. The Chiefs followed that up in 2008 in the first game where Brady's season ended. The Bills just copied what other teams already figured out. I agree on your point that the Patriots have fallen back to the pack somewhat. They looked very ordinary to me other than Brady when he got it going.

I am going to record the Jets/Pats* game & watch it right after I watch the Bills beat the Bucs. I look forward to seeing Brady HIT HIT HIT HIT & HIT AGAIN by Ryans Jets.

Guest dog14787
Oh, no, Darin. I'm not burying them. I'm saying they're a lot closer to mediocre than in times past. Because by the time they replace the talent from all those losses on defense (and WHEN does Wilfork hit the road?), they'll start losing talent on offense.

Not a collapse. A corrosion. A team that can probably count on a lot of 10-6 seasons in front of them, like the Bills in the mid-to-late 90s. And we know how that worked out.

I agree, to many big names are gone from the roster, big on the football field, big in the locker room.

I also don't see Tom Brady as the type that would slowly fizzle out. Brady's got nothing to prove, its all been done and more than once. Brady is already looked at as the best QB that has ever played the friggin game, geesh :D

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. Give it until at least mid-season for both teams. I hope you are correct but Brady* is coming off a serious injury and 53 weeks of not playing in real games. He* was due to be rusty.

Even if Brady* returns to form there are 2 factors that make the Pats* a very beatable team. 1- The defense obviously got burnt by Edwards who took what they gave him and the front 7 was out played by a line starting 3 players never getting a snap in real time NFL season. 2- The Pats* offensive line while still an above average unit isn't a good enough unit to give Brady* enough time each and every game (Especially against the better units in the league).

To me the Bills lost that game Brady* had nothing to do with McKelvin fumbling. But the Pats* looked like your typical 10-6/11-5 team good but not championship contention good. To me the dynasty isn't over yet(That extra number 1 from the Raiders could help) but as presently constituted they aren't the same team and the fact that key guys like Mankins and Wilfork are due to be free agents soon doesn't make it a better situation.

Agree. That is exactly what should have been said and why wasn't it? McKelvin should not have been as stupid as he was. On replay it is almost agonizing watching him try to strain for an extra yard!!!! Then the fumble.

Funny, I mentioned to a friend tonight, "imagine if the Pats lost that game, would their season implode?" I was thinking the same thing. No, they won't go down like Titanic, and Belichek has always collected extra picks. It will be a long process, like the decline of the dollar...

btw, I grew up a Rams fan, and moved to Bflo the first year the Bills went to the Super Bowl. It was easy to adapt...