Mike Lombardi roasts the Bills' Front Office

Coach Tuesday

Sorry, I don't have 18 hours to dedicate to this argument. I think the state of the franchise speaks for itself, but hey.

Admit, you don't have answer and are just whinig because it's the popular thing to do.

We have a nice group of young olinemen, he acquired TO and Stroud (2 of the best in their positions), added a potential pro bowl cb/ kr, a DE who has sacks in his first games. But just keeping whining. It is helping things. :rolleyes:

This is the guy I want brought in as GM. Underrated as a personnel evaluator when he was in Oakland.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...ughts-2603.html

Money quote: "The design of this team has been bad, and at some point the Bills have to get someone in their building who can build a team that can compete with the Dolphins, the Patriots and even the Jets on and (most critically) off the field. The Bills are going nowhere until they admit their planning and design has been flawed. They need one person in the building, a coach or personnel man, who can make the right choices and design the right plan because the level of competition in the AFC East is and will remain very fierce and intellectually challenging."

Ouch.

It's interesting to hear someone claim there is talent on the Buffalo roster. Good read. Time will tell just how much of a mess, or not, that the Bills are in.

can someone tell me why john Guy still has a job at OBD?

He's there as a buffer for Wilson & Olerdoff, they are the one's with the final say. There was a link on here awhile ago from a former player ( cant rem the name ) who stated that Guy & co. does a good job of ID free agents. Wilson & co. decides which one will be pursued by the team. The one thing that J Guy needs to do is draw a line in the sand and either crap or get of the pot b/c the bean counters are not about winning but the bottom line.

Admit, you don't have answer and are just whinig because it's the popular thing to do.

We have a nice group of young olinemen, he acquired TO and Stroud (2 of the best in their positions), added a potential pro bowl cb/ kr, a DE who has sacks in his first games. But just keeping whining. It is helping things. :rolleyes:

You're right. The media is wrong, I'm wrong, and the sky isn't falling. Go Bills! The Bills are in great shape. I've seen the light.

And where are the people making decisions? Why have they not come out and explained what the hell is going on? Shouldn't Russ be out front telling us what they are thinking when making these moves?

Isn't is funny to see Brandon come out when they sign TO to a contract, yet when the team is imploding 5-10 days before the season begins he's nowhere to be found. The last time I recall RB being out there during tough times was during the Peters 2008 holdout.

I can't wait to see which excuses they cook up for this season. They'll be one about the young OL, one about the inevitable injuries, or perhaps the new OC. They're never at fault for anything.

There are alot of people "whining" on these boards but look at the mess this team is in. Every "so-called" expert has been ripping the bills. Most of these are ex-players, coaches or people with many league contacts and do have expertise in professional football. They look at what has transpired here in the last week, year and decade and see a track record of dysfunction and non winning overall. I think most of us take the talk with a grain of salt but the bills track record speaks for itself. Its hard to argue with their opinion of the heirachy of this team.

Do the bills deserve all the negative opinions or do these guys have as much insight to the team as a lot of local people? No, but they also aren't clueless and not understanding of what you need to have a good team.

You asked what the current "gm" has done wrong or picks he shouldn't have made - the draft is a crapshoot first of all. Second it seems like the bills only really started in the right direction after a decade of fixing the lines this year. Its a good start and we have to start somewhere. But to not have brought in a vet and/or rookie tackle after trading Peters leads alot of us to believe they had a poor plan going into this season. There were lots of questions as to whether Langston Walker could be an effective LT. For this years draft, as an example - Jarius Byrd. He might be a good player someday. But are you serious in saying we couldn't have used another DE or OT, especially after trading peters? I think that pick would have been better served addressing one of those areas and there were still good options available based upon most of the draft experts. If Jarius Byrd becomes Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed then we'll all say we were wrong. How about McKelvin? Another 1st round CB in the Cover 2 which demphasizes cb's by design. James Hardy? He has been basically a non factor so far also. Russ Brandon deserves some credit for starting the process of rebuilding of the lines and some criticism as well for other decisions. Maybe he is hamstrung by Littman/Wilson? None of us know for sure.

And I am a huge bills fan but just because someone voices displeasure doesn't mean they don't like the bills. I'd say the majority of us want them to win/do well. The "whining" is based upon this team and their front offices track record the past 10 years. And from the outsiders point of view, this team appears to be dysfunctional and lacking direction/leadership. Not many good teams fire their OC and cut the guy they told us was the answer/replacement to the LT position which is widely considered to be the most important position on the OL, 10 days before the season starts. It shows they didn't have a good plan in place coming from offseason to camp and are desperately trying to make something work only a few days before the opener. The chances that happens are slim. Our options are very limited - not many quality free agents left and the draft is long over.

This team appears to just spinning its wheels. The "whining" will continue until they start winning consistently. I hope that happens this year but I have my doubts.

This is the guy I want brought in as GM. Underrated as a personnel evaluator when he was in Oakland.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...ughts-2603.html

Money quote: "The design of this team has been bad, and at some point the Bills have to get someone in their building who can build a team that can compete with the Dolphins, the Patriots and even the Jets on and (most critically) off the field. The Bills are going nowhere until they admit their planning and design has been flawed. They need one person in the building, a coach or personnel man, who can make the right choices and design the right plan because the level of competition in the AFC East is and will remain very fierce and intellectually challenging."

Ouch.

-well of course we all know this already...BUT---I think we have at least made some positive steps this offseason.We blew up a fat.lazy and overpaid O line.we got ONE passrusher in finally(we need at least one more next year).And we finally shocked the bad offensive system by making SOME move in firing the O coordinator.We shall see. This is the first offseason in a while where i can see some direction...despite the ghastly preseason play.

There are alot of people "whining" on these boards but look at the mess this team is in. Every "so-called" expert has been ripping the bills. Most of these are ex-players, coaches or people with many league contacts and do have expertise in professional football. They look at what has transpired here in the last week, year and decade and see a track record of dysfunction and non winning overall. I think most of us take the talk with a grain of salt but the bills track record speaks for itself. Its hard to argue with their opinion of the heirachy of this team.

Do the bills deserve all the negative opinions or do these guys have as much insight to the team as a lot of local people? No, but they also aren't clueless and not understanding of what you need to have a good team.

You asked what the current "gm" has done wrong or picks he shouldn't have made - the draft is a crapshoot first of all. Second it seems like the bills only really started in the right direction after a decade of fixing the lines this year. Its a good start and we have to start somewhere. But to not have brought in a vet and/or rookie tackle after trading Peters leads alot of us to believe they had a poor plan going into this season. There were lots of questions as to whether Langston Walker could be an effective LT. For this years draft, as an example - Jarius Byrd. He might be a good player someday. But are you serious in saying we couldn't have used another DE or OT, especially after trading peters? I think that pick would have been better served addressing one of those areas and there were still good options available based upon most of the draft experts. If Jarius Byrd becomes Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed then we'll all say we were wrong. How about McKelvin? Another 1st round CB in the Cover 2 which demphasizes cb's by design. James Hardy? He has been basically a non factor so far also. Russ Brandon deserves some credit for starting the process of rebuilding of the lines and some criticism as well for other decisions. Maybe he is hamstrung by Littman/Wilson? None of us know for sure.

And I am a huge bills fan but just because someone voices displeasure doesn't mean they don't like the bills. I'd say the majority of us want them to win/do well. The "whining" is based upon this team and their front offices track record the past 10 years. And from the outsiders point of view, this team appears to be dysfunctional and lacking direction/leadership. Not many good teams fire their OC and cut the guy they told us was the answer/replacement to the LT position which is widely considered to be the most important position on the OL, 10 days before the season starts. It shows they didn't have a good plan in place coming from offseason to camp and are desperately trying to make something work only a few days before the opener. The chances that happens are slim. Our options are very limited - not many quality free agents left and the draft is long over.

This team appears to just spinning its wheels. The "whining" will continue until they start winning consistently. I hope that happens this year but I have my doubts.

well put.

To those "true bills fans" that enjoy calling out the "smart bills fan" because they can see how screwed up this team is, maybe one day you will move out of mommy and daddy basement and see what the real world is all about. Take the blindfold off and look at what we have. Dick jauron still coaching a team 2 years after he should have been fired. The changes that were made this week are LONG overdue and we are now in a situation where we can't make the proper adjustments to make this team competitive. I hope I'm wrong, but only god can help this team at this point.

Can we at least play a single game and preferably the season before we say the state of the franchise is a disaster. We did bring in an all-knowing football man in Tom Donahoe if you recall and the franchise right now is in better position than he left it. That's correct three 7-9 seasons are better than what Mr Donahoe did......so let's relax a bit and actually play the games first.

Can we at least play a single game and preferably the season before we say the state of the franchise is a disaster. We did bring in an all-knowing football man in Tom Donahoe if you recall and the franchise right now is in better position than he left it. That's correct three 7-9 seasons are better than what Mr Donahoe did......so let's relax a bit and actually play the games first.

It would be fantastic to win some games so that all the experts who are standing too close to the edge would shut up and back away from the cliff. Things don't look great right now but where would you rather be? If you are not going to cheer for the Bills then take up golf or fishing on Sunday.

It would be fantastic to win some games so that all the experts who are standing too close to the edge would shut up and back away from the cliff. Things don't look great right now but where would you rather be? If you are not going to cheer for the Bills then take up golf or fishing on Sunday.

I love the bills and will always root for them but to rip on people who question the direction and others as fans is very frustrating!!!!!!!!!

:) Its called constructive criticism! Just because some people mention potential/glaring problems and the teams seemingly bad management, drafting history, coaching and winning % of the last decade does NOT mean we don't like the bills and don't want them to win. Only the ass kissers and people that bow down and kiss the ground these guys walk on and follow like sheep can follow the bills or else we need to take up golf/fishing? That kind of mentality gave us adolph hitler! (obviously the example is apples and oranges and the nazi's and holocaust are prob one of the most horrific events in history) Some of us just choose not to be sheep and swallow the crap that 1 bills drive has shoved down our throats the last decade.