Ralph Wilson is the envy of the NFL owners tonight

Whites Bay

I'm sure this post will drop to the bottom of the list within nanoseconds, but I'm going to post it anyway.

For all of you Monday-morning-GMs-in-waiting-who-could-run-this-team-better-if-you-only-had-the-chance:

Trust me when I tell you that there are 31 other team owners out there tonight who are grudgingly tipping their hats to Ralph Wilson. Ralph Wilson has the built-in excuse for EVERY move he makes. He is operating a team in a small market in very hard economic times.

Cut your overpriced Left Guard? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made I'll get creamed.

Cut your overpriced Left Tackle? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made, I'll get creamed.

Cut your big-name backup running back? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made, I'll get creamed.

Ralph doesn't need an excuse, and I believe he knows it. It's Buffalo. It's Western New York. He HAS to make ruthless moves like this to compete with Jerry Jones. With Dot-com Snyder. With Bob Kraft. These guys are MADE of money, so everyone is expecting them to SPEND it, and ALL the time. They ALL - trust me - ALL - wish they had the alibi that they were making these moves because it's a small market. Do you really think any of these guys don't want $XX million suddenly dropping into THEIR pockets? Are you goddamn serious?

Ralph Wilson is (choose the metaphor):

Punching above his weight

Playing the hand he's dealt

Making lemons out of lemonade

Playing within the rules

I don't fault the guy one bit that he's cut an overpriced underproducing left tackle. When the hell did you people think that this wasn't a business? I credit the guy for showing the stones to make a lot of really hard business decisions in a short time frame. I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end. This is the same guy who opposed the CBA, on which a large number of owners are beginning to come around.

This guy's ruthless, and I'm guessing a lot of owners are mildly envious.

I'm sure this post will drop to the bottom of the list within nanoseconds, but I'm going to post it anyway.

For all of you Monday-morning-GMs-in-waiting-who-could-run-this-team-better-if-you-only-had-the-chance:

Trust me when I tell you that there are 31 other team owners out there tonight who are grudgingly tipping their hats to Ralph Wilson. Ralph Wilson has the built-in excuse for EVERY move he makes. He is operating a team in a small market in very hard economic times.

Cut your overpriced Left Guard? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made I'll get creamed.

Cut your overpriced Left Tackle? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made, I'll get creamed.

Cut your big-name backup running back? See ya. It's Buffalo. If hard decisions aren't made, I'll get creamed.

Ralph doesn't need an excuse, and I believe he knows it. It's Buffalo. It's Western New York. He HAS to make ruthless moves like this to compete with Jerry Jones. With Dot-com Snyder. With Bob Kraft. These guys are MADE of money, so everyone is expecting them to SPEND it, and ALL the time. They ALL - trust me - ALL - wish they had the alibi that they were making these moves because it's a small market. Do you really think any of these guys don't want $XX million suddenly dropping into THEIR pockets? Are you goddamn serious?

Playing within the rules

I don't fault the guy one bit that he's cut an overpriced underproducing left tackle. When the hell did you people think that this wasn't a business? I credit the guy for showing the stones to make a lot of really hard business decisions in a short time frame. I'm glad I'm not on the receiving end. This is the same guy who opposed the CBA, on which a large number of owners are beginning to come around.

Do you really judge NFL teams on business principles??? I suspect that you'd probably have more fun rooting for Google, Berkshire Hathaway, or Microsoft than the Bills.

What's the Bills' record this millennium? That's all that matters. Whether Wilson has a 3 percent rate of return or a 7 percent rate of return isn't something I give a damn about.

Ruthless in what manner? In the way an elderly person attacks a bowl of tapioca pudding, or running a business?

"Ruthless" in the sense that you, Chalkie Gerzowski, the new GM of the team, gave your 2008 starting Right Tackle the chance to start at Left Tackle, and then blessed his spot on the team on the final 53 in September 2009. And then YOU gave the order to cut his big fat ass 24 hours later.

Let go the internet anomymity. Pretend you're not Chalkie, but Ralphie. And picture yourself actually having to fire his ass to his face. Not so easy, is it?

I'll tip one with ya!

:unsure:

Glad you have a sense of humor. It's often in short supply around here.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh, it's an internet board. I've learned not to blow a gasket each time out.

Make mine Molson Canadian. What's yours?

Playing within the rules

if your theory is correct, you are on the receiving end since you're a Bill's fan. Do you imagine the owners sitting around incinerating trees and instituting ridiculous rules to improve ratings (a la the original "Rollerball)" too? Guess that wouldn't surprise me either.

Playing within the rules

People who are successful don't use excuses, don't want excuses and dislike the fact they could be given an excuse...

So, successful owners likely are happy they are not Wilson...

As they always say at my job:

"No excuses, just results."

Rhodes is big name?

You're right, Crayonz. I was calling for him to be cut by Week 4 anyway. I was using him as filler. But you have to admit that Dockery and Walker were big-ticket signings.

At least - I THINK - you have to admit they were big ticket signings.

People who are successful don't use excuses, don't want excuses and dislike the fact they could be given an excuse...

So, successful owners likely are happy they are not Wilson...

As they always say at my job:

"No excuses, just results."

So, using this example, successful coaches don't need to videotape opposing practices, right? Am I off topic here?

How can Ralph be getting any enjoyment out of this? To be paying upwards of $150m in player, coaches, and front office salary for this turd of an outfit would make me want to vomit if I was the owner. Owens is the only thing bringing people through the gates. You could basically trade every employee in the organization except Owens and the marketing team for their lowest paid counter-part and produce the same bottom line.

Oh, it's an internet board. I've learned not to blow a gasket each time out.

Make mine Molson Canadian. What's yours?

When in Rome...

And the BEST thing about that Molson is that it tastes EXACTLY like the NEXT one we'll throw back!

GO BILLS!!!

Playing within the rules

He's just having the current coaching staff fall on their own sword by having them free up the cash he'll need to attract the next the kind of coach everyone is screaming for keeping the raw/young talent in place while doing it. Shrewd!

Right premise wrong evidence. The other owners are likely amazed at Ralph for completely rebuilding a franchise AFTER the offseason, once the season ticket holders already had committed for the year. I don't know that it's ever been done before. THAT is a necessity in a small market, where you can't afford to let your fans take a year off. Utterly brilliant, evil genius. Even signed TO first to get the fanbase pumped.

He's just having the current coaching staff fall on their own sword by having them free up the cash he'll need to attract the next the kind of coach everyone is screaming for keeping the raw/young talent in place while doing it. Shrewd!

Wahhhh....huh?

Ruthless, or a penny- pinching senile old man?

Penny pinching no but Penny smart and Dollar stupid. He spends between 20-15 range in terms of payroll and he keeps ticket prices low. Yet he cheaps out on things like GM's and coaches. Why hire a retread like DJ or a no name coordinator like Mularky when for a few million more (honestly is spending 7 million more on a coaching staff going to kill him in fact the increase in the quality of the product will more than likely make up for it) when you could get a much better coach.

I like Ralph as an owner but he has to spend more on coaches and GM's its just not smart to do so other wise the quality of the product can't stand another DJ era.

Penny pinching no but Penny smart and Dollar stupid. He spends between 20-15 range in terms of payroll and he keeps ticket prices low. Yet he cheaps out on things like GM's and coaches. Why hire a retread like DJ or a no name coordinator like Mularky when for a few million more (honestly is spending 7 million more on a coaching staff going to kill him in fact the increase in the quality of the product will more than likely make up for it) when you could get a much better coach.

I like Ralph as an owner but he has to spend more on coaches and GM's its just not smart to do so other wise the quality of the product can't stand another DJ era.

I don't disagree with you on this. I don't think that Wilson will cough up the cash for Cowher, but perhaps it IS time for a Mariucci. This line of discussion will glow like melted platinum somewhere around Week 6.

"Ruthless" in the sense that you, Chalkie Gerzowski, the new GM of the team, gave your 2008 starting Right Tackle the chance to start at Left Tackle, and then blessed his spot on the team on the final 53 in September 2009. And then YOU gave the order to cut his big fat ass 24 hours later.

Let go the internet anomymity. Pretend you're not Chalkie, but Ralphie. And picture yourself actually having to fire his ass to his face. Not so easy, is it?

If I'm Wilson, I never hire Jauron to begin with. I never put myself in such dire straits socially (in the NFL) over the years that I can only trust my head coach sidekick from the glory years to run the show (GM) as an out-of-touch octagenarian (sp).

If I'm Ralphie, I have to mend bridges that have been burned for 40 years.

And if I'm little Rusty Brandon, I advocate to keep tubsy Walker around to keep continuity on the O-Line in a desperate attempt at letting it not become a turnstile M.A.S.H unit.

And if I'm little Rusty Brandon, I advocate to keep tubsy Walker around to keep continuity on the O-Line in a desperate attempt at letting it not become a turnstile M.A.S.H unit.

Boy, I just don't know, Chalkie. I just don't know. I'm not a FO apologist, believe me, but the whole Langston Walker at Left Tackle just left me unsettled. I tried to get behind it, but...

As for mending bridges, that's likely nonsense for a 91-year-old who has spent 50 years in the league, illegally bailed out two franchises (New England (Boston at the time), and Oakland), and has now had his mug enshrined into Canton. No, I would imagine that the bridge building starts from the other direction at this point.

I would have been fine with Walker staying at RT. He seemed "sufficient", not spectacular...but the goings-on at Big Tree and Abbott are bizarre...they are reaching Elmwood-Forest bizarreness. :unsure:

Things seem very panicky and odd. The bridge-burning is more with Ralph's difficulty dealing with coaches and managers. It's not recent...I'm sure it goes well beyond the days of Chuck Knox.

I would have been fine with Walker staying at RT. He seemed "sufficient", not spectacular...but the goings-on at Big Tree and Abbott are bizarre...they are reaching Elmwood-Forest bizarreness. :unsure:

Things seem very panicky and odd. The bridge-burning is more with Ralph's difficulty dealing with coaches and managers. It's not recent...I'm sure it goes well beyond the days of Chuck Knox.

And I agree with you there. I always thought they'd move Walker back over to RT, Butler to RG, Hangartner at C, Wood at LG and Bell at LT. The whole thing - with one week to go - puzzles the living snot out of me. The difference between me and 99% of the posters on this board, however, is that I'm not willing to launch myself off a bridge if the Front Office doesn't do exactly as I say.

Let's get it done, big guy. Go Bills.

If I'm Wilson, I never hire Jauron to begin with. I never put myself in such dire straits socially (in the NFL) over the years that I can only trust my head coach sidekick from the glory years to run the show (GM) as an out-of-touch octagenarian (sp).

If I'm Ralphie, I have to mend bridges that have been burned for 40 years.

I don't think he burned bridges for 40 years but I think RW is a somewhat out of the loop on GM talent. When he hired Tom Donahoe he was in his early 80's and stated that he wanted to hire a GM that would also be president of team so that he, RW could more or less just sit and watch. So for 5 years I think he was not as involved. When he had to fire TD he went for Levy because of his past relationship and then with Russ Brandon because he was already in house and growing in his job. We do have a somewhat unusual situation in that our GM is not a football talent guy by training. If this season flops RW really needs to not only hire a top coach but someone who would also be the GM, maybe the same person. But I think they keep Brandon and try to hire another fairly inexpensive coach.

This guy got into me a few weeks ago..."TO's going to ruin your season...TO's going to ruin your season..." guy was another Cowboy's fan from Jersey, bane of my f&*&(king existence.

My answer was simply, "The OL will ruin it long before TO starts spouting off...TO will start complaining because of the lack of QB protection..." Basically not denying that TO may self destruct, but it will be in response to figuring out the ship he's on has sunk (kind of like Schonert talking the other day in a weird way)

SO...

A. It's good to be right...but sometimes you don't want to be right

B. Though I wasn't psyched about Walker at LT...what about RT not like we're that good there...

C. I assume somebody smarter than me is running the show...somebody smarter than me is runnning the show, right?

D. Whoever made the ROI point is right...I don't care about the return as long as we're winning...people love the Packers and there's little reason that couldn't/shouldn't be the Bills' expectation.

E. my Electric Company New Era showed up today so I guess I'm upbeat about something related to the bills