I was just offered FREE NFL ST!

SDS

plus FREE DVR service for 6 months and a downgrade to my package to the $30/month tier...

so, I would end up getting all that for $120. BEAT THAT! :wallbash:

I'm still not sure I'll even do it, but maybe I'll put that box in the bedroom or the basement when it gets finished.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll bite!

How's you do it!

1st of all, not to get all moral here, but I'm not a real big fan of calling up a company and pretending that I am dissatisfied, just to get discounts. I don't know, that just doesn't seem right to me.

Anyway, I already canceled the ST last week and today I called to cancel my DTV service all together, because I got FIOS Triple Play. So, I was legitimately leaving and this was their best effort to keep me (or should I say their best effort to keep their ST subscriber base up). I may still leave, but I'll think about it for a few more hours.

1st of all, not to get all moral here, but I'm not a real big fan of calling up a company and pretending that I am dissatisfied, just to get discounts. I don't know, that just doesn't seem right to me.

It's a game-playing thing. Many people I know do that just to get what they want, but I'm with you...it doesn't seem right to me, either.

Anyway, I already canceled the ST last week and today I called to cancel my DTV service all together, because I got FIOS Triple Play. So, I was legitimately leaving and this was their best effort to keep me (or should I say their best effort to keep their ST subscriber base up). I may still leave, but I'll think about it for a few more hours.

Tough call...I've never been a big fan of satellite, but having Sunday Ticket for free is *almost* a no-brainer.

It's a game-playing thing. Many people I know do that just to get what they want, but I'm with you...it doesn't seem right to me, either.

Tough call...I've never been a big fan of satellite, but having Sunday Ticket for free is *almost* a no-brainer.

well, it isn't really free totally. It ultimately will cost me $120 for the ST, a base programming package for 4 months, and DVR service. Which is $80 more than I plan to spend with NFL game rewind.

I called yesterday and also voiced I may have to cancel Direct TV due to the economy. I was offered $10 off of my monthly service and no monthly $10 HD access fee, both for the next year. In total I will save $240 for the next year. I specifically talked about getting NFL ticket with no extra charge for the HD package but this was not offered.

I called yesterday and also voiced I may have to cancel Direct TV due to the economy. I was offered $10 off of my monthly service and no monthly $10 HD access fee, both for the next year. In total I will save $240 for the next year. I specifically talked about getting NFL ticket with no extra charge for the HD package but this was not offered.

Ok, I'm going to use you as an example, but his isn't directed at you.

I wouldn't give it to you either. The people gaming the system call up and "ask for things". I can see asking to match a deal being currently offered by FIOS, Dish, or cable, but the 1st sign that someone is asking for free football, I would go tell you and anyone else to go pound sand.

I called and said "cancel my service". Period. When they offered a discount, I said "no cancel my service". They they offered another one and I said "no, cancel my service". And we did a few rounds of this. I wasn't milking them for anything and they could have, at any time, said, sure and honored my request. I would have been fine with that because I am/was legitimately leaving.

well, it isn't really free totally. It ultimately will cost me $120 for the ST, a base programming package for 4 months, and DVR service. Which is $80 more than I plan to spend with NFL game rewind.

Wait... You said you would get ST free including dvr and a downgrade for your 30 monthly service?

I bet theyre DYING to keep your $30 month service haha...

Something doesnt jive

Wait... You said you would get ST free including dvr and a downgrade for your 30 monthly service?

I bet theyre DYING to keep your $30 month service haha...

Something doesnt jive

I don't really care what you think doesn't jive.

I was offered this deal because I'm a real customer who is leaving, not someone gaming the system. I could care less if you believe me or not. Do I have something to gain here by lying to everyone?

and no they aren't dying to keep my $120. They ARE dying to keep their ST subscriber base up though.

Glad to see that there are at least 2 people here that feel the same way as me...I've been feeling like an outsider that I didn't do the "pretending"...just didn't feel right about it.

Glad to see that there are at least 2 people here that feel the same way as me...I've been feeling like an outsider that I didn't do the "pretending"...just didn't feel right about it.

Wow...make it three.

Personally, I would do whatever I had to do (legally) to get a cheap price with DTV. Because at the end of they day, they will do whatever it is they have to do to get as much from you as they can. They aren't offering you free Sunday Ticket and all of these other discounts because they like you. Take a look at their cost to provide service to us versus what they charge us and then you'll see what I am talking about. Cable/Sat TV is an oligopoly imo.....

Why Youre adding ZERO value here you cheap ass so get off the site withe this BS you skank

I have the feeling this does not have a happy ending....

Thanks for all the info, Scott. I am moving in less than a month and have been really torn up about what I'm going to do. My DTV bill is too high. We're going to have to find some ways to save for the next year or two... but I really do like the DTV customer service and DVR, and of course watching the Bills live. I could live with the NFL Rewind option you posted, but I clearly remember saying to myself (only 8 short years ago) I'd never go back to cable.

I have the feeling this does not have a happy ending....

Thanks for all the info, Scott. I am moving in less than a month and have been really torn up about what I'm going to do. My DTV bill is too high. We're going to have to find some ways to save for the next year or two... but I really do like the DTV customer service and DVR, and of course watching the Bills live. I could live with the NFL Rewind option you posted, but I clearly remember saying to myself (only 8 short years ago) I'd never go back to cable.

my thing is that I'm in an area serviced by FIOS. So, for an extra $10 or so a month I got upgrades to:

- 65 locals calls per month w/ zero phone features to unlimited nationwide calling and callerID, etc...

- Internet service went from 5/2 to 25/15

- went from DTV with DVR/No HD channels to a full HD package and DVR.

So, the FIOS Triple Play package is pretty awesome. It was just too much of an upgrade to turn down just to be able to watch some select live games a few weeks per year.

Personally, I would do whatever I had to do (legally) to get a cheap price with DTV. Because at the end of they day, they will do whatever it is they have to do to get as much from you as they can. They aren't offering you free Sunday Ticket and all of these other discounts because they like you. Take a look at their cost to provide service to us versus what they charge us and then you'll see what I am talking about. Cable/Sat TV is an oligopoly imo.....

This

I guess he told YOU.

That was about the dumbest thing a poster could do...I'm still astounded.

You would think that if you were going to get yourself banned, that you would at least put a little more effort into it. This was a pretty weak attempt by Steve-o. I am disappointed.

and FWIW, I wouldn't doubt that they tried to ping my receiver while on the phone and saw that it is unplugged and hasn't "called home" for a week.

I have DTV as well and it is so expensive. The base packages are terrible and I have no DVR. Just the base package and have HBO extra. I have 1 HD receiver and they charge 10 a month for it. My in laws have the ticket so I usually park my butt there to watch the Bills. I don't like calling and complaining either. But I am hesitant to keep the service cause of the price, its not the cash its the principal of it.

I had DTV for about 6 years, I never called once to ask for anything free or promotional discount. I did upgrade to an HD DVR after you had to buy and lease from them and I ended up paying $500, received an older model that wouldn't get the new HD stations. I called and asked for the most up to date receiver and they refused to do it. I said, "I'm canceling" they offered to lower my price and give me all the stations but still wanted an additional $500. So I called Time Warner and got a great deal for with everything for $150 a month all stations, roadrunner and phone. It took DTV 2 months to call back after I canceled and offering to give me a free HD DVR for all of my rooms to come back...I said nope...