Richard Seymour traded to Raiders

jayg

You know what though? By 2011 the NFL will probably have the rookie pay scale in place. So while it will still be hard to trade the pick, I bet it will be ten times easier than it is now.

It might not be in place for the 2010 draft, so Belichek* asked for a 2011 pick instead. The prick is just plain smart.

The NFLPA recently told players to save their money, because there could be a lockout in 2011.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a total rip off for the Pats! They keep ripping off these stupid teams! Seymore is 30, and on the downside now, and 2011 is likely the first year with a rookie salary cap, so they'll get a top 5 talent for cheap!

Why don't we do stuff like this? It seems so easy for the Pats. Remember these moves:

1) trade away Deion Branch to Seattle for a 1st round pick

2) aquire Randy Moss for a 4th rounder

net effect: replace Branch with Moss (massive upgrade) and replace a 4th rounder with a 1st.

1) trade for Derrick Burgess for a 4th

2) trade away Richard Seymore for a 1st.

similar to the WR exchange in that they're replacing a 4th for a future 1st, but Burgess isn't that much worse than Seymore, and may be younger?

Our front office is too stupid to be able to wheel and deal like this. The Pats are working everybody over because they see how to do it. Reminds me of the Jimmy Johnson Cowboys of the late 80s and 90s who kept wheeling and dealing to their advantage (Herschel Walker deal, adding Charles Haley, Thomas Everett, letting overpriced guys go like CB Larry Brown to the Raiders etc.)

We'd have to have players people actually want.

You know what though? By 2011 the NFL will probably have the rookie pay scale in place. So while it will still be hard to trade the pick, I bet it will be ten times easier than it is now.

It might not be in place for the 2010 draft, so Belichek* asked for a 2011 pick instead. The prick is just plain smart.

That was exactly what I thought when I saw it. Belichick is certainly hedging his bets on that one. Smart dude.

Yeah and the Patriots wouldn't trade the guy if they weren't confident that they have another player that can fill that spot well.

That player would seemingly be Derrick Burgess. But Burgess has been playing LDE, which is where Warren, who is oversized for 4-3 DE, plays. Maybe have Burgess at LDE, move Warren inside (where he'd be undersized), and have someone else play RDE? That's a lot of moves.

Watching New England's front office compete against the Bills is like watching the men against the boys. What a freakin' mismatch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I somewhat agree with this statement, but the real mismatch is in the coaching department. The Pats really have not drafted much better than the Bills over the past 4 or 5 years, but I agree they have done much better in signing useful free agents.

I think this trade is highly questionable and somewhat puzzling from the Patriots' standpoint. Pro Bowl defensive linemen don't grow on trees and Seymour is unquestionably still a Pro Bowl quality player. One has to wonder why this trade is being made now instead of prior to the 2009 draft. The rule of thumb is that a future year draft pick is discounted one round for each year into the future the pick is taken. So it looks more like the Pats traded a perrenial Pro Bowl lineman still performing near his peak for a third round draft pick. (Looks a little like the Bills' pick up of Marcus Stroud from Jax for a 3d rounder.) If the Bills made such a trade, they would be crucified. And I wouldn't count on it being a top five pick--a lot can happen in two years. As someone pointed out, the Raiders have the makings of a very good defense. And of course, top five draft picks aren't exactly in high demand these days anyhow; most everyone who has them would like to trade out of the top of the round.

Good lord, this means that the Patriots will have the #1 pick in 2011, doesn't it?

THe is a smart move by the Pats. Seymour is in last year of his deal, and would have commanded top five 5 money at his position when he is resigned. This pick will prob be a top ten pick in 210 (God i hope not) and I could see the Pats trading it down and stocking up on LATE 1ST rounders/2nd rounders.

I know the loss of seymour will hurt their D but that was a smart move in the long run. Thank God he is out of the division

We honestly cannot worry about what the pats are doing at this point.......we need to get our own house in order....in the short term it means two things:

- It takes away from NE's pass rush

- It actually gives me a reason to root for the raiders and that is my wifes team. GO RAIDERS.

How many times can NE swindle OAK before the commissioner has to step in? :unsure:

The Patriots* have won the division 7 of the last 8 seasons. The best way to make the playoffs is winning the division so you're not competing for 2 WC spots among multiple teams.

I don't think this move takes away from their pass rush, because 3-4 DE's aren't called on to be great sack/pressure guys. In a 3-4 it comes from the OLB's. And so a 4-3 change means less of a need for a 275# DE.

BTW, this house has been in disarray for a long time. And from what we've seen this week, that's not changing anytime soon.

LOL, internet tough guy calls a multi-millionaire, HOF inductee a "douche".

Dude, you're a nobody... might as well get used to it. You just keep up that intarweb awesomeness though. Maybe you can tell your friends how you "PWND" someone online. Better yet, tell your co-workers at Wegmans.

What a tool.

Nah, he probably only works at Tops.

I won't have a problem with them having to spend 1st overall money on an unproven player. :unsure:

But in 2011 1st overall money will be a fraction of what it is today. There is no way the next CBA doesn't include a rookie salary scale.

They are getting great value for him now before his contract ends and he is too expensive to resign. The Pats have made an art form out of knowing when to drop guys, balancing the remaining usefulness with the salary cap impact. And in the process restocking draft picks.

The Bills are eons away from competing with this franchise.

typical patriots move, trade someone that no longer fits the system regardless of what he's done for you. and we keep schoebel and kelsay, go figure

Since when does Richard Seymour no longer fit any NFL defense's "system"? I think this was a bonehead trade by the Pats, of course that makes me very happy this close to the opener. The only way I would be happier is if the Bills pulled off another "Lawyer Malloy" and made the trade for Seymour themselves. (If I was Brandon, I would have thrown in Kelsay and our number one pick for this guy!)

Remember, Scott Pioli is no longer in NE. You cannot assume every trade made by the Patriots is "ingenious" anymore. Way to go Raiders, best play against the Pats since you were screwed in the infamous "tuck rule" game in a blizzard 9 years ago!" :unsure: