Richard Seymour traded to Raiders

jayg

But in 2011 1st overall money will be a fraction of what it is today. There is no way the next CBA doesn't include a rookie salary scale.

They are getting great value for him now before his contract ends and he is too expensive to resign. The Pats have made an art form out of knowing when to drop guys, balancing the remaining usefulness with the salary cap impact. And in the process restocking draft picks.

The Bills are eons away from competing with this franchise.

As I said earlier, the NFLPA has instructed players to save money because they anticipate a lockout in 2011. Belichick is smart, but he can't predict the future.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, the NFLPA has instructed players to save money because they anticipate a lockout in 2011. Belichick is smart, but he can't predict the future.

Everyone can predict the future. It's just a question of how much of it you get right. They are telling players to save their money because the owners are going to insist on changes. And one of the changes they are going to insist on is a rookie salary scale so they aren't handing out $50MM contracts to guys who are complete busts.

Oh yeah...and there's a slight chance that Belichick has discussed this with one of the league's more powerful owners (who might just be in the know on the issue) before they pulled the trigger.

Everyone can predict the future. It's just a question of how much of it you get right. They are telling players to save their money because the owners are going to insist on changes. And one of the changes they are going to insist on is a rookie salary scale so they aren't handing out $50MM contracts to guys who are complete busts.

Oh yeah...and there's a slight chance that Belichick has discussed this with one of the league's more powerful owners (who might just be in the know on the issue) before they pulled the trigger.

Yeah, like Kraft can predict the future. If he could, he wouldn't have "Krafted" that garbage CBA in the first place. And he has no idea what the NFLPA will do. Especially since they bent the owners over backwards last time around. It was both sad and comical at the same time.

That's right, all the owners are just sitting around wondering what is going to happen. That's brilliant. :unsure:

I'm sure they knew what was "going to happen" last time around, and promptly got FUBAR'd by the players. I'm sure they have it all figured-out this time around, seeing as how talk of locking-out the players is increasing.

I think it's also worth noting re: NE is their penchant for finding players who can be play different positions. They've gone after Adalius Thomas and Jerod Mayo who both can play inside or outside. I have no doubt people like Warren and Wilfork could be DT's if they were asked to be.

Flexibility is something BB values, because it adds another dimension to their game plan. And I have no doubt because he basically doubles as a GM, that the scouting staff and team makeup are coordinated very closely.

I still hate them.

Which potentially might give NE 2 years worth of players to choose from withe that pick.

Interesting move. While no one can predict the future and the future is when winners and losers from this trade will ultimately be determined, on balance I'd say this is a good move for the Pats*. They couldn't have afforded Wilfork and Seymour and the ton of other folks whose contracts expire after this season, including Mankins. Something like a third of their roster's contracts are up after 2009, IIRC (that number may change depending on whether 2009 is indeed uncapped and you get the 6 year rule for free agency, but even so they still had Fat Vince, Mankins and Seymour among others). This way they get something for the guy they were going to let walk. The saving grace is that (a) the Raiders may be a team on the rise, believe it or not, with youngsters like Russell, McFadden and Heyward-Bey on O and an always decent D and (b) the Pats* have pretty much sucked at the draft the last few years, even with Pioli and Dimitroff, both of whom are now gone. This week's cuts further confirmed that last part, as a number of former high to mid-level draft picks have been released or IR-ed (Crable and O'Connell, two 2008 third rounders come immediately to mind, as does Dave Thomas, who was also a 3 and who they got a bag of balls for this week). Still, it's hard for someone of Belicheat's stature to screw up the first round.

All I can say is "GO RAIDERS!"......

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the obvious--this will weaken New England* this year mightily. Their secondary is suspect, half of their linebackers (if they stay 3-4) are "meh" and now they've gone from having perhaps the best D-line in football (behind maybe the G-Men and Stillers) to only an above average one. I suspect that above average O's may put up 30 points a game on these guys. A couple of breaks on D and ST in such a case and the Pats* will probably lose those games, even with Brady and Co. God help them if Fat Vince* were to ever get injured. Good teams would be putting 40 up on them is my guesstimate in such a case. Too bad we don't have the O to take advantage of this opportunity.....

They wouldnt have made this move if it was gonna hurt them. I dont think it will even phase them this year. They have plenty of talent to replace him, especially given the fact that they got Derrick Burgess from the Raiders. He will pick up the production in the "Sack" department. They also drafted Ron Brace out of Boston College and I do believe they have another young D-Lineman waiting in the wings to jump in the rotation.

I think they will eventually be better off for making this move.

Just as we would have been for dumping Kelsay and/or Denney...and keeping Copeland Bryan.

Which potentially might give NE 2 years worth of players to choose from withe that pick.

What if they cancel the 2011 draft? Now that would be a hoot!

And don't kid yourselves. This move definitely weakens the Patriots. Seymour was a great player for them last year, after a subpar 2007. Sure he might have left in FA, but it still would have been a loss. Good move fleecing the Raiders (yet again) for a 1st, but again that pick won't be coming until 2011.

It makes the Pats a much weaker team for 3-4 years.

Flase. Ty Warren and Jarvis Green have played better than Seymor the past two seasons. Dont forget he has missed a lot of time recently. Their D hasnt missed a beat.

PS. How many years ahead can you trade picks? If there is no limit, I say we trade our 2012-2020 first round picks for Matt Ryan. I mean really, if our next 8 first round picks are as bad as our past 8 first round picks, it will be a great trade.

Flase. Ty Warren and Jarvis Green have played better than Seymor the past two seasons. Dont forget he has missed a lot of time recently. Their D hasnt missed a beat.

Seymour played better than both last year. As for 2007, he had knee surgery in the off-season, was on the PUP list to start the season, and was hampered by it all season long. But he rebounded nicely last year. Green is best as a backup.

Weird move by the Raiders trade a potential top 5 or 10 pick for a very good player BUT a guy who is going to be 30 this season and is at the last year of a deal. Now if you follow the tradition of his position Seymour has 2-4 years left at a above average level. Now the CBA situation is what makes this interesting otherwise (If the CBA didn't expire in 2011 than this deal is a great one for the Pats*).

The Raiders are gambling that there is going to be no season in 2011 which means the draft picks in the 2011 will reenter the draft which means that the pick they traded won't be worth anything (Essentially they got Seymour for nothing). The Pats* are taking a loss for the next 2 years letting Seymour walk BUT if they get a top 10 pick than they win out.

Now will Seymour turn around the Raiders D? Not really but he will make them more respectable in the run game and give them a small boost in the pass rush. Did the Pats* win out in this deal yeah they did. The odds of there being no season are slim and the odds of the Raiders getting a top 10 pick are really good. So chalk another one up for the Pats* BUT for this season the Pats* got weaker. However the Pats also save money for potential other free agents (Wilfork and Mankins) by not having to resign Seymour.

The Pats* dominating front seven is a little less dominating. Sure Wilfork still is a beast and Mayo and Thomas are very good players but you do loose a little of that traditional Pats* dominance when Seymour, Vrabel, and Teddy Brusci are gone. They do have competent guys like Ty Warren and Green that can step in BUT injuries happen and guys mentioned above gave you depth.

Not that the Pats* not having Seymour makes the Bills the favorite on next Monday BUT it does up the Bills chances by a little bit and it makes the Pats* that much worse and the margin between the worst and best is so small in the NFL that this little step down makes a big difference.

This is one of those trades, because the patriots pulled the trigger everybody says it was a great move. If any other franchise traded away one of their best defensive players a week before the season they would of been crucified. Might be a good move but no doubt makes them weaker this year.

and most likely the next as well. As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad Seymour is gone, he killed us.

just read that Seymour was set to make 3.7 million this year. we're set to pay Schoebel 8 million. does that mean we can get 2 first round picks for him

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr...s_confir_1.html

Please stop!!! This team is hopeless. I think I am going to switch to College football and maybe basketball. The Bills make me want to hate the NFL :thumbsup::ph34r::cry: