Who fires their OC a week before the season?

ans4e64

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Joe Posnanski, former KC Star columnist (who starts full-time at Sports Illustrated tomorrow): "What could have happened in first 3 preseason games for the Chiefs to fire OC Chan Gailey? Oh, right: Nothing. #ChiefsMessedUpOrganization"

That idea, having long since been dead, can't be killed again thus, this latest embarassment constitues mutiliation of the corpse which is the idea that the Chiefs are a well-run organization rather than the killing of it.

I know, its quibbling but I do so love to quibble.

You need to watch some zombie movies.

First salient point...Gailey was a holdover from the 2008 season. He was retained when the new regime came in. This could very well mean that he was kept on a trial/probationary basis and it was decided that he wasn't a good fit. Remember that Haley is an offensive coordinator himself. Perhaps their philosophies simply didn't mesh well.

Second salient point...Gailey's credentials are pretty sterling. Based on his history he'd have to be considered one of the better offensive coordinators in the league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chan_Gailey

If not as a permanent hire, how about bringing him aboard as a consultant to give an objective outsider's view of the offense and how it could be improved? A little feedback and constructive criticism couldn't hurt.

I was wondering if a head coach was ever fired in the preseason. I think Bills fans would be excited if Jauron got fired today along with the rest of the coaches. I'd cut half the team also. Blow it up in the preseason. Chiefs may start a new trend.

I was wondering if a head coach was ever fired in the preseason. I think Bills fans would be excited if Jauron got fired today along with the rest of the coaches. I'd cut half the team also. Blow it up in the preseason. Chiefs may start a new trend.

George Allen was fired by the Rams in preseason. It was more a personality conflict with the owner than anything else.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-02/spo...orge-allen?pg=1

"Curiously, Rosenbloom chose Allen to succeed Knox after the 1977 season.

Even more curiously, Rosenbloom fired Allen two games into the 1978 preseason. The future didn't even make it to now.

Rosenbloom fired Allen amid reports of bizarre behavior that, had he known better, was nothing more than customary George Allen behavior. Allen, for instance, chewed out players for failing to properly clap chalkboard erasers and could be distracted from a blocking drill by the sight of crumpled paper cups strewn across the practice field."

George Allen was fired by the Rams in preseason. It was more a personality conflict with the owner than anything else.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-01-02/spo...orge-allen?pg=1

"Curiously, Rosenbloom chose Allen to succeed Knox after the 1977 season.

Even more curiously, Rosenbloom fired Allen two games into the 1978 preseason. The future didn't even make it to now.

Rosenbloom fired Allen amid reports of bizarre behavior that, had he known better, was nothing more than customary George Allen behavior. Allen, for instance, chewed out players for failing to properly clap chalkboard erasers and could be distracted from a blocking drill by the sight of crumpled paper cups strewn across the practice field."

Fired for being OCD.

Really. The Chiefs org has long sucked--they hired Herm Edwards for crying out loud.

As bad as Edwards was, he still produced more winning seasons than Jauron.

And the Bills hired Jauron.

Seriously, How much is Turk to blame when our quarterback refuses to throw more than 6 yds. downfield? Why do we look o.k. with Fitz in the game?

Because he's playing against scrubs?

Can he play Quarterback?

Bring him in.

Seriously, How much is Turk to blame when our quarterback refuses to throw more than 6 yds. downfield? Why do we look o.k. with Fitz in the game?

Exactly, Trent is not a down the field passer. When has he ever thrown it deep? Oh yeah the 2 wounded duck passes to a wide open Evans on a blown coverage. He does'nt have an arm or any accuracy past 10yds. and defenses are aware of it. Get used to a lot of 8-9 nine guys in the box, man to man coverage and blitzting, just daring Trent to beat them deep. Unless Trent hasbeen holding back until this year it could get ugly. Add a new offensive line, Diva wide out T.O. and things might explode. Trent has never looked the same after getting wrecked in the Arizona game.

Exactly, Trent is not a down the field passer. When has he ever thrown it deep? Oh yeah the 2 wounded duck passes to a wide open Evans on a blown coverage. He does'nt have an arm or any accuracy past 10yds. and defenses are aware of it. Get used to a lot of 8-9 nine guys in the box, man to man coverage and blitzting, just daring Trent to beat them deep. Unless Trent hasbeen holding back until this year it could get ugly. Add a new offensive line, Diva wide out T.O. and things might explode. Trent has never looked the same after getting wrecked in the Arizona game.

When Edwards has the time and receivers are open he finds them, go back and look at the first 5 games from last year and then the San Diego & Denver game, the guy played great.

From reading what Edwards has stated it looks like the coaches simply don't prepare the team properly for what they will face. The entire offense said that they were not prepared for the 3-4 defense of the Packers, who stated that THEY game planned the Bills.

Jauron went on to say that going against a 3-4 like the Packers was good experience.

It's tough to win in the NFL...when you don't prepare !!!

That idea, having long since been dead, can't be killed again thus, this latest embarassment constitues mutiliation of the corpse which is the idea that the Chiefs are a well-run organization rather than the killing of it.

I know, its quibbling but I do so love to quibble.

Be careful about throwing stones (people in glass houses and all that...) The Chiefs have a better record and more playoff appearances that the Bills over the last 10 years. They also have won a Super Bowl.

Now I have to wonder if Marv stepped away so quickly because he realized the error he made in picking Jauron?

Marv quit because Ralph would not make him HC.

Marv intended to fire Mullarkey mid-season and take over himself.

Marv was screwed when Mullarkey jumped from the sinking ship.