Oh..If only Kraft trusted Peter King

plenzmd1

Please permanently pin this article to remind us how little the media actually knows about football.

PTR

Nevermind the media, what about the majority of the owners in the league (like, say, the one who did hire Donahoe)?

Contrast Kraft with Ralph Wilson...unlike Ralph he is an astute judge of talent.

"Why are you going to all this trouble for Bill Belichick?" one business associate asked Kraft last week.

"I see things in him that other people don't see," this associate quoted Kraft as saying.

Robert Kraft had the intelligence and forsight to not only hire BB but he invested in the organization. His front office staff and scouting staff are exceptional. When the Falcons were struggling with the Perino and Vick mess the owner hired Dimitroff from the Patriot organization. In short order he turned things around. When the Chiefs struggled for a number of years they went out and hired Pioli from the Pats. Compare that to Ralph Wilson who brings in Levy out of the cold when Donahoe leaves and then Ralph elevates the marketing man to replace Levy to oversee the football operation. What stupidity! B-)

Contrast Kraft with Ralph Wilson...unlike Ralph he is an astute judge of talent.

"Why are you going to all this trouble for Bill Belichick?" one business associate asked Kraft last week.

"I see things in him that other people don't see," this associate quoted Kraft as saying.

Imagine Ralph being asked the same question about Dick:

"I dont see things in him that other people see". B-)

How many things are wrong with this?

"If I'm New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft, I have to say no to Bill Belichick now, hire Tom Donahoe to run the football side of business, and get on with my life. Because if I'm Bob Kraft, this is the thought process going through my mind today as the Jets stonewall my compensation offer for Belichick and refuse to budge from their demand of New England's first-round draft choice in April's draft: I am willing to give a man with a coaching record of 37-45 full authority over all my football operations by naming him coach and general manager. I am willing to pay him in excess of $3 million a year. And now I have to throw in my first-round pick? I'm already without my fourth-round pick this year, and I'm sure to lose a couple of valued players like Tedy Bruschi and Shawn Jefferson in free agency. Now I have to throw in the pick that could become Ron Dayne and may solve our dilemma at running back for the next five years? Maybe I wait a couple more days for the Jets to budge. Assuming they don't, I get on with my life.

I like Belichick as a coach, too, even though I find his actions this month despicable and totally without honor. I just think enough's enough. Move on. Donahoe and Dom Capers sound good to me."

So reading kissingsuztkolber's weekly rant agaisn't Peter King, and they link to this MMQB from 2000. Man, if only Kraft had listened to king and hire Donahue...one can only dream!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_ga.../26/ten_things/

Wow. And Peter King was and still is a respected "expert" on the NFL? That is the stupidest article I have read from a pro sports write since Woody Paige warned the Nuggets not to draft the one dimensional lazy slacker; Carmello Anthony, from Syracuse a few years after King spouted his nonsense for all to read!

Look at some of King's predictions of things that would happen, and should happen, for the Pats in just that one little article from 2000:

*Kraft should have given up on hiring Belicheck and hired Dom freakin' Capers instead!

*Kraft should also have hired Tom freakin' Donahoe to run his entire football department! (Damn you Ralph Wilson, for reading that King article and actually believing King knew what he was talking about!)

*Kraft would most likely lose Teddy Bruschi in free agency that year.

*The Pats should have used the draft pick saved by not hiring Belicheck from the Jets, on Ron Freakin' Dayne, who would have fixed the Pats running game for years to come!

Oh I know hindsight is always 20/20, and that most of us all believed the Donahoe was a good to great football guy, that Capers was a fine coach and that Dayne would be a star in the NFL back then. But really, it is hard to believe that Peter King could have been that wrong about so many things in one sports article:

*Belicheck became the coaching genius only Robert Kraft seemed to think he was capable of becoming, and has led the Pats to 3 SB wins since 2000.

*Donahoe could not hide his ineptness behind the great Steelers orgainzation up here in Buffalo, and he was exposed as the fraud he was, that almost nobody knew he was.

*Not only did Bruschi not leave in free agency in 2000, but he never left the Pats at all, and was called the "perfect player" by a teared up Belicheck during Teddy's retirement news conference yesterday.

*Ron Dayne turned out to be one of the biggest draft busts ever.

Simply amazing. If only Kraft had thought as highly of Donahoe and Capers as Peter King did! If only....reminds me of that story in the book "Relentless" written by Sal Marianna years ago. It seems Bill Walsh would have been very interested in meeting with Ralph Wilson back in 1977, as a head coaching candidate. Walsh was not surprised that Ralph never set up an interview with him back then, since Walsh had never coached in the NFL and Chuck Knox was the big "catch" that year. Again, think about Bill Walsh coming to Buffalo back in 1978 instead of "high profile" Knox!