Who would you have picked at #11,

Peace Frog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking Brian Orakpo.
Da Rak

I agree, it's why the Redskins didn't wait more then 30 seconds to grab him after the Bills passed on him. From what I've seen of him he is a monster on the field, nobody could stop the guy in college.

He had injury and motor questions though,but still he was the highest rated pass rusher on most boards.

I think the Bills drafted another Mike Williams in Maybin, that guy is all about getting paid and getting the most money asap. I didn't like him at #11 and his stance on holding out confirms my thoughts.

Most people were thinking Michael Oher to Buffalo once all the other OT's were taken and since Peters was traded away that selection seemed to make sense.

At this point with training camp over, Maybin will be lucky to play at all this season, he has lost so much he could have learned.

Maybin was a luxury pick and at best a situational pass rusher. Not a smart pick in the 1st round. Has Eric Flowers written all over him. At 11, Bills should have taken either Orakpo or Ayers and then Everette in the 2nd round. Of course, Dick "Gutless" Jauron opted for a DB who was not needed.

would have tried like hell to trade down - if I had to stay there I would have taken Oher but to be fair to the Bills there were significant question marks about almost every player in this draft- Oher learning ability, Orakpo maxed-out frame, Pettigrew ability to stretch the field, Ayers explosiveness,- I didn't like the Maybin pick but I understood it - it's the Bryd pick that frustrates me there was a lot of talent left at DL, (E. Brown, C Barwin, C Sintim, M Johnson, J Gilbert and L Sidbury) and OL ( Unger, Loadholt, Beatty) so for me Bryd had better be all that and a bag of chips.

Maybin was a luxury pick and at best a situational pass rusher. Not a smart pick in the 1st round. Has Eric Flowers written all over him. At 11, Bills should have taken either Orakpo or Ayers and then Everette in the 2nd round. Of course, Dick "Gutless" Jauron opted for a DB who was not needed.

Is that really the best you got? The guy is holding out of training camp and apparently that means that his skills on the football field will not translate in the NFL like the proverbial example of Flowers you so graciously provided. Good stuff. Can we PLEASE wait until we see Maybin play a game, hell even a down, in this league before we throw the bust label on him and start crying for Orakpo and the others?

I probably would have picked Michael Oher. The idea of not having a decent option ( IMO) at left tackle would have scared me into reaching for Oher, who is very hit or miss. I would have also been confident with all of the DE’s still on the board ( Orakpo, Maybin, Ayers, English, Brown), that we probably would have been able to luck into one of them at 28.

HOWEVER….once we got to 28…and Rey Mauluga was still available, I would have been VERY tempted to take him and either kick Poz outside, or put Rey outside.

Obviously I should never be a GM, because I had no idea who Jairus Byrd was until I started watching his highlights after the Bills took him.

I'm thinking Brian Orakpo.

Alex Mack or Michael Oher. From the day last season ended I stayed with Mack or the best tackle that was available at 11, so you can assume how "thrilled" I was when the Bills drafted Maybin.

Im one of the few that liked the Maybin pick. I think they have a lot of wiggle room to keep him at DE or convert him to OLB. Or make him a hybrid if they ever switch to a 3-4. I also liked Pettigrew but thought that might be a little too early for him. If we could have traded down to the hight teens or low 20's that would have been perfect for Pettigrew IMO.

I didn't liked Orakpo because he was a Longhorn.

I didn't want to draft Maybin, because other than raw speed, he is too green to contribute right away.

I would have drafted Oher but there were some concerns about his desire to be a football player or something to that effect.

The pick for me at #11 was Everette Brown, because he was the guy with the best pass rushing skills and was perfect for this defense, so you can imagine my reaction when he was still available in the second round and we drafted yet another DB. I couldn't believe it, still can't.

I would not have gone for either Maybin from Bust State U. or Orakpo from the University of Bust.

Even though he ended up slipping, I think Oher would've been the better pick.

Agreed. Oher at LT and leaving Walker at RT would make me feel a whole lot better about our OL heading into this year.

Oher

Levitre/Butler

Hamgartner

Wood

Walker

I would have loved that.

As is, I think LT is the position we are likely to focus on in the next draft.

I thought Maybin was a great pick and was thrilled that they took him in the first round. It's been years since the Bills have had a true impact player on the front seven that offensive coordinators have to game plan around and I think we have one now. I would have nearly been as happy with Orakpo, but I think that in the long run Maybin will be the better player because he's more explosive off of the edge.

I say this because Maybin has the same burning desire to excel that all the great ones have. There are too many guys that never reach their full potential because they've gotten by so long strictly on their athletic talent alone.

Which is also why I was glad Ohler was not the pick. Ohler wasn't pushed much in college and never developed the kind of work ethic that he needs to be a star in the league. He reminds me much too much of Mike Williams and I really would have been ticked off if they had picked him.