New look, same team

trigger

what is the purpose of playing Matt Baker, who is not making the team? Wouldn't it be better to give extra reps for Fitz or Hamdan in case they are needed in the regular season? I don't understand the purpose of giving reps to guys who are never making the team, while taking them away from backups who need them desperately...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but I wouldn't look too much into it. It could be vice-versa the next game. I hope the kinks come early so they can iron them out.

Agreed 100%. I'm not thinking it means much of anything.

Collinsworth keeps talking about the Bills O line not being ready. There are three rookies on the line. Did anyone suspect they would be ready tonight?

EDIT: Two rookies on the O line, and a new center. Everyone is new, or playing a different position on the O line.

what is the purpose of playing Matt Baker, who is not making the team? Wouldn't it be better to give extra reps for Fitz or Hamdan in case they are needed in the regular season? I don't understand the purpose of giving reps to guys who are never making the team, while taking them away from backups who need them desperately...

I think they needed somebody to hang Stupar out to dry and then throw a game-sealing interception.

Not really...Bills did a pretty good job in most games of bottling up the opposing RBs last year...leading rusher against them last year was Stephen Jackson with 110 yards...

The Bills ranked #22 against the run. #13 against the pass.

They didn't look good. For the most part, they didn't look that bad. It was one freaking series on offense, which is frustrating after 9 months without football, but part for the course, I suppose. Trent made four good plays and one bad one, which may not have been his fault anyway.

Owens got open, Marshawn found some running room. The defense contained Chris Johnson and LenDale White but played off on 3rd downs. The special teams looked bad, but those units aren't really together yet, and who the hell gears up for a trick play in preseason?

I dunno. I'd've liked to see a confident TD drive with the offense firing on all cylinders, followed by a three and out. We didn't get it. But it wasn't a disaster unless you're worried about Bruce Hall and Matt Baker.

you know... we go through the same song and dance every year. The Bills look terrible in the preseason and mail in a losing record in the regular season....

Maybe, just maybe they could try something different? Like not sucking for 4-5 weeks before we start the season? That would be refreshing...

and of course this game means nothing, but then again... why must we always have to say that every year?

Seriously. At some point the kool-aid crowd needs to come to terms with the fact that this isn't a Levy or Dungy team that is all but trying to lose in August. They just look overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage as they have for the last several preseasons.

Seriously. At some point the kool-aid crowd needs to come to terms with the fact that this isn't a Levy or Dungy team that is all but trying to lose in August. They just look overwhelmed at the line of scrimmage as they have for the last several preseasons.

I don't disagree, but it's not like the Bills first team offense looked bad for a whole game; they only ran nine plays. Most of them were successful, until a rookie guard in his first season of live action was thrown into the QB provoking an errant throw. If Edwards had had room to step up and hit a TD pass on that play instead of a pick, we'd be talking about how great the offense looked.

I do think there are some real worries about the pass defense, though. They looked like they were just getting beat, and the pass rush remained absent. But they bottled up the run, so there's hope there, even.

I want to say "They looked great, but who knows what it means?" instead of "They looked crummy, but at least it doesn't count" I think we'll get to in the next four games.

"Obviously an interesting game preseason-wise. I thought Trent looked good, he's handsome in that uniform. I thought Oman looked good, the Patriots will like him once he's cut. Not really sure what happened on the fake punt, there was some confusion there and you can't prepare for that. So, we're 0 and 1 for the preseason, we'll take that and get back to work Wednesday. There's still a lot of football left."

A fake punt/gadget play for a touchdown.

One interception on a promising looking drive.

A muffed punt by a player who will not make the opening day roster.

This is what basically determined the outcome of the game.

That said, many games are decided in the trenches and Tennessee is quite a bit ahead of us in that department. Of course they were 13-3 last year so it's no surprise.

matter2003, this also boggles my mind. Hamdan was doing pretty well there and we get the ball back with a chance to see if he (and the rest of the guys) can lead us in for a go ahead score. Instead we put in Baker, who totally sucks. He's not going to make the team. Let him do what he was hired to do, throw passes to WRs in practice and leave it at that.

Also looked like Fitz could have used some more reps.

I don't get it and I don't like it.