T. O. love at training camp

inkman

I find all the cheering, hooting and hollering for a guy when he:

Walks onto the field

He catches a ball

He pretends to score a touchdown even though 4 defenders would have tackled him in a game

Or basically just breathes

...somewhere between slightly and extremely obnoxious.

He is a breath of life in a decade of dying, that's the part some will miss.

Four games into the season, all that will disappear as fans realize this team isn't any better and should have capitalized on last year's easy sched.

I just hope the Bills announce the offensive starters at the opener!

I understand the sentiment. But as much as I hate the Cheatriots* I admire the fact that in 2002 they started the Super Bowl practice of introducing the entire team en masse (after the Rams were introduced as individuals).

To me (and I know it's less fan-friendly) this would be the best way of driving home the point that it's all about team.

The Bills are a fan-friendly organization however (witness the photos and videos coming out of camp in just two days) and I think they will do what they figure will generate the most excitement.

Four games into the season, all that will disappear as fans realize this team isn't any better and should have capitalized on last year's easy sched.

I don't think T.O. himself will be to blame if the team isn't any better at the four game mark. I expect Owens to be the most productive player on our offense, especially if the first few days of TC are any indication, as he and Evans have been on the receiving end of about 80-90% of Trent's throws. I think if we really are a disappointment early in the season, it will be in spite of Owens' productivity, not because of it. He will be a bright spot on an underachieving team, which may actually cause fans to fall in love with him even more.

Guest dog14787
He is a breath of life in a decade of dying, that's the part some will miss.

that's my dog :beer:

I find all the cheering, hooting and hollering for a guy when he:

Walks onto the field

He catches a ball

He pretends to score a touchdown even though 4 defenders would have tackled him in a game

Or basically just breathes

...somewhere between slightly and extremely obnoxious.

I'll be one of the few to agree with you. He's working, leave him alone. How many people would like it if someone came to their work and kept constantly screaming their name?

See: Bledsoe, D.

What is the point you're trying to make? Bledsoe was a huge pickup at the time. The guy was still in his prime and was viewed as an elite quarterback who had been a thorn in our sides during his tenure with the Pats. When we acquired him it was a big deal, as he was the first legitimate QB we had since Kelly. He had a couple of huge years (4,500 yards and 24 touchdowns in '02), and we had a Top 10 offense. His production started to tail off as he was entering his twilight years. Then, Donahoe and Mularkey decided to go with Losman and the rest is history.

He went off to Dallas and remained productive even though his best days were clearly behind him. No, he was not the franchise savior, but he made a huge impact on the offense and it wasn't his fault that he had to work with erratic coaching and a poor defense.

Without one moment spent in the playoffs, the air became stale. Did every team T.O. played on the first year after leaving San Fran make the playoffs??

Yes. Philly made it to the SB, Dallas lost in the Wildcard round. San Fran made it to the Division round his first year also.

Yes. Philly made it to the SB, Dallas lost in the Wildcard round. San Fran made it to the Division round his first year also.

He made good teams better, Philly should of won it all that year as well. T.O. Healed up enough and played in pain during that SB. I think the guy is a gamer and has the heart of a champion without winning the big one, yet.

I'll be one of the few to agree with you. He's working, leave him alone. How many people would like it if someone came to their work and kept constantly screaming their name?

Well, it appears by all of his previous actions that Owens does like people constantly screaming his name. I think that the main point is the blind faith that many fans have put in him is unwarranted. Wait for him to convert a 3rd down or get at 20+ yard play in a game that actually matters before showering him with affection.

I get that, and I find it amusing, especially after watching Owens do pushups in his driveway, that us Bills fans are giving him a clean slate right away. But I've done it, too.

My rational side tells me that Owens, on paper, is a nice addition that will do well until it gets cold, and then most likely will criticize someone for running on a 3rd and 2 into the wind in December.

My irrational side tells me that this guy will make some big plays, catch game winning td's (like in the 98 playoffs -49ers vs Packers), get opposing DB's off their game, and make the team exciting to watch and believe in this year. The fans cheering when he makes a 5 yard reception on a slant are on that level, I think.

I say this because, as a former 3rd string QB for the bills, I speak for all fans.

Well, it appears by all of his previous actions that Owens does like people constantly screaming his name. I think that the main point is the blind faith that many fans have put in him is unwarranted. Wait for him to convert a 3rd down or get at 20+ yard play in a game that actually matters before showering him with affection.

I get that, and I find it amusing, especially after watching Owens do pushups in his driveway, that us Bills fans are giving him a clean slate right away. But I've done it, too.

My rational side tells me that Owens, on paper, is a nice addition that will do well until it gets cold, and then most likely will criticize someone for running on a 3rd and 2 into the wind in December.

My irrational side tells me that this guy will make some big plays, catch game winning td's (like in the 98 playoffs -49ers vs Packers), get opposing DB's off their game, and make the team exciting to watch and believe in this year. The fans cheering when he makes a 5 yard reception on a slant are on that level, I think.

I say this because, as a former 3rd string QB for the bills, I speak for all fans.

T.O. has more TD receptions over the past 3 years than anyone in the league, how as a former QB can you really not see his field presence. Watch the film and see that as any teams primary threat, he was uncoverable. Think that the whole league had no idea who was going to get the ball thrown at him when playing the cowboys?? 3 years of overpowering opponents says T.O. is a man among boys, above most.

Maybe that screaming you hear now reminds you of your time on the field and what could have been. Guys like you never passed to a guy like T.O., unless it was a beer. Watch T.O. with a physical mid-range receiver like Evans around, it will only make him better, popcorn bag heating up.

T.O. has more TD receptions over the past 3 years than anyone in the league, how as a former QB can you really not see his field presence. Watch the film and see that as any teams primary threat, he was uncoverable. Think that the whole league had no idea who was going to get the ball thrown at him when playing the cowboys?? 3 years of overpowering opponents says T.O. is a man among boys, above most.

Maybe that screaming you hear now reminds you of your time on the field and what could have been. Guys like you never passed to a guy like T.O., unless it was a beer. Watch T.O. with a physical mid-range receiver like Evans around, it will only make him better, popcorn bag heating up.

This is true, but Double G had a pretty good rapport with Brad Lamb that never was seen on the gridiron. Oh, what could have been.

that's my dog :rolleyes:

In the interest of board members' safety may I advise Skooby not to come to any sudden stops, lest he inadvertently find himself conjoined with member14787'smember in making the beast with one back and with one remarkably accurate tattoo of a Georgia O'Keefe painting.

In the interest of board members' safety may I advise Skooby not to come to any sudden stops, lest he inadvertently find himself conjoined with member14787'smember in making the beast with one back and one remarkably accurate tattoo of a Georgia O'Keefe painting.

LOL.

I don't think T.O. himself will be to blame if the team isn't any better at the four game mark. I expect Owens to be the most productive player on our offense, especially if the first few days of TC are any indication, as he and Evans have been on the receiving end of about 80-90% of Trent's throws. I think if we really are a disappointment early in the season, it will be in spite of Owens' productivity, not because of it. He will be a bright spot on an underachieving team, which may actually cause fans to fall in love with him even more.

I don't think TO will be to blame for any poor performances on the field. While the offense may be slightly improved, and that's arguable, I see no reason the defense will perform any better than last year. They had the easy sched last year and failed to capitalize. I haven't even looked at this year's sched, as I am not a large believer in forecasting strength of sched when we have only last year's roster/results to gauge from.

Philly made it through the playoffs to the SB without TO.

Check the regular season stats to see how they made the playoffs. If you add the 2/3 WR's receiving yards they just beat T.O. by himself. Why worry about who gets you there, right?

I don't think TO will be to blame for any poor performances on the field. While the offense may be slightly improved, and that's arguable, I see no reason the defense will perform any better than last year. They had the easy sched last year and failed to capitalize. I haven't even looked at this year's sched, as I am not a large believer in forecasting strength of sched when we have only last year's roster/results to gauge from.

Slightly improved?? We haven't even played a down yet, so how is that arguable good or bad?

Slightly improved?? We haven't even played a down yet, so how is that arguable good or bad?

This sentence structure could use some improvement. :rolleyes: On paper, with the addition of TO, a revamped O-line and another year under Trent's belt, one could argue that the offense should be improved. I'm not going to make that argument but it's there for the taking.

While the offense may be slightly improved, and that's arguable, I see no reason the defense will perform any better than last year.

If the offense is improved (if) then the defense will likely have an easier time of things to some degree. It's a lot funner playing Defense with a lead.

You are the man. I can't believe I'm actually watching the T.O. show, but I am. This show has cast Buffalo in a wonderful light, and is probably the best national advertising we've had in years. Talk about a job well freakin' done - excellent work!!

I attended Buff State and worked with Tom Calderone at the campus radio station, WBNY-FM with him. We graduated together in 1986.

Tom is an outstanding person and an exceptional talent. It's great to know that he is the President at VH-1.

Agree completely. Worked with him in 1980s when I was with UB press in Buffalo. He had very good journalist ethics.

Guest dog14787

I didn't want to start another thread, but I thought T.O.'s show good tonight. It was fun to watch him see the falls for the first time and get the key to the City of Buffalo.

I really like this fella :wallbash: