JP signs with UFL

bbb

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad the Bills moved on, but, I will always like JP Losman. It's hard not to pull for him. Maybe Fassell can work his magic with him:

"Fassel said he liked Losman coming out of Tulane, because of his mobility and arm strength but wondered if he was bitter from the Buffalo experience. With the Bills, for instance, Losman lost his starting job in 2007 due to a knee injury and was displaced afterward by the steady Trent Edwards. But Fassel was impressed -- in early meetings with Losman -- that the quarterback never ridiculed the Bills organization.

"If all they want to do is blame it on other people or on circumstances or on a coach, I can't do you any good," Fassel said. "You have to say, 'All right, I need to get better, I need help.' J.P. did that."

Said Losman: "I'm looking at my career over the long haul. OK, this is where I'm at in five years. But I look at it like, 'Where do I want to be after a 10-year, 11-year career?' There are some things I feel I want to work on that I need to work on, and this league gives me an opportunity to do that and to work with somebody who's had a lot of success in the NFL."

The guy is a flop. And the huge disappointment that comes with that lies squarely on the backs of Donahoe and Modrak who wanted to show just how much smarter they were than the rest of the league when they drafted him #1 when he was projected as a 3rd rounder. Lord knows JP tried and never quit, and for that I respect his efforts. But the fact of the matter is he doesn't and never will have a feel for the game. He just doesn't have the ability to process plays as they develop. I grew so tired of watching him throw bounce passes to open receivers. All the guy could do was lock onto Lee Evans and heave the ball downfield and watch Lee run under it. I wish him well but he'll never be a starter or a legit reserve QB in the NFL that can be relied on.

The guy is a flop. And the huge disappointment that comes with that lies squarely on the backs of Donahoe and Modrak who wanted to show just how much smarter they were than the rest of the league when they drafted him #1 when he was projected as a 3rd rounder. Lord knows JP tried and never quit, and for that I respect his efforts. But the fact of the matter is he doesn't and never will have a feel for the game. He just doesn't have the ability to process plays as they develop. I grew so tired of watching him throw bounce passes to open receivers. All the guy could do was lock onto Lee Evans and heave the ball downfield and watch Lee run under it. I wish him well but he'll never be a starter or a legit reserve QB in the NFL that can be relied on.

All I can say or do is quote Fassell directly from the article:

""Quarterbacks, all they need to do is fit in the right circumstance," Fassel said. "I can name a lot of Hall of Fame quarterbacks that at the end of four years, you'd be shocked at their numbers and where they were. You take Steve Young, who was at Tampa. You look at his numbers after four years. You look at Terry Bradshaw's numbers after four years, you look at John Elway's numbers after four years, and you look at Brett Favre's numbers after four years. And if I didn't have a name on those, you might've cut them.

"Now that's after four years ... and my study is based upon having patience and the right circumstances with quarterbacks. And they didn't have great circumstances. Listen, Brett Favre got traded, Steve Young got traded or cut, I'm not sure. Dan Reeves tried to trade John Elway. And Terry Bradshaw was just playing on a frigging great team, OK? Three out of four of those quarterbacks were either traded or tried to get traded. And you know what? They're Hall of Fame guys."

It's like an accident on the beltway. You just have to slow down and look at the carnage. Morbid curiosity killed the fan.

Ugh, imagine the annoyance when he tears that league to shreds and we get to hear clueless announcers call the Bills dumb for giving up on him.

All I can say or do is quote Fassell directly from the article:

""Quarterbacks, all they need to do is fit in the right circumstance," Fassel said. "I can name a lot of Hall of Fame quarterbacks that at the end of four years, you'd be shocked at their numbers and where they were. You take Steve Young, who was at Tampa. You look at his numbers after four years. You look at Terry Bradshaw's numbers after four years, you look at John Elway's numbers after four years, and you look at Brett Favre's numbers after four years. And if I didn't have a name on those, you might've cut them.

"Now that's after four years ... and my study is based upon having patience and the right circumstances with quarterbacks. And they didn't have great circumstances. Listen, Brett Favre got traded, Steve Young got traded or cut, I'm not sure. Dan Reeves tried to trade John Elway. And Terry Bradshaw was just playing on a frigging great team, OK? Three out of four of those quarterbacks were either traded or tried to get traded. And you know what? They're Hall of Fame guys."

We can agree Matt Ryan looks to be the real deal after one year in Atlanta. What does he have in common with JP Losman? Both were coached by meathead Mike Mularkey. The point is good players manifest themselves as such regardless of the "system" or "coaching." No one including Sam Wyche nor Jim Fossill is going to do anything for JP. He's a classic example of a guy who looks great in shorts and practice but once the game whistle blows, the guy is clueless.

I am glad the Bills moved on, but, I will always like JP Losman. It's hard not to pull for him. Maybe Fassell can work his magic with him:

"Fassel said he liked Losman coming out of Tulane, because of his mobility and arm strength but wondered if he was bitter from the Buffalo experience. With the Bills, for instance, Losman lost his starting job in 2007 due to a knee injury and was displaced afterward by the steady Trent Edwards. But Fassel was impressed -- in early meetings with Losman -- that the quarterback never ridiculed the Bills organization.

"If all they want to do is blame it on other people or on circumstances or on a coach, I can't do you any good," Fassel said. "You have to say, 'All right, I need to get better, I need help.' J.P. did that."

Said Losman: "I'm looking at my career over the long haul. OK, this is where I'm at in five years. But I look at it like, 'Where do I want to be after a 10-year, 11-year career?' There are some things I feel I want to work on that I need to work on, and this league gives me an opportunity to do that and to work with somebody who's had a lot of success in the NFL."

It's for this exact reason that I find it hard to understand the immense dislike for JP around here. Yes, he was drafted high. Yes, he didn't work out as a QB for the Bills. But, that's all not entirely his fault. He's always tried to do and say the right things. He embraced the City and the team. And here, he could easily take a shot at the organization. Yet, he takes the high road and says all the right stuff.

By all accounts, he gave everything he could to try and succeed as the Bills' QB. I thank him for the good times, hope to forget the bad times, and wish him health and great success in his future.

Guest dog14787
It's for this exact reason that I find it hard to understand the immense dislike for JP around here. Yes, he was drafted high. Yes, he didn't work out as a QB for the Bills. But, that's all not entirely his fault. He's always tried to do and say the right things. He embraced the City and the team. And here, he could easily take a shot at the organization. Yet, he takes the high road and says all the right stuff.

By all accounts, he gave everything he could to try and succeed as the Bills' QB. I thank him for the good times, hope to forget the bad times, and wish him health and great success in his future.

:oops:

We can agree Matt Ryan looks to be the real deal after one year in Atlanta. What does he have in common with JP Losman? Both were coached by meathead Mike Mularkey. The point is good players manifest themselves as such regardless of the "system" or "coaching." No one including Sam Wyche nor Jim Fossill is going to do anything for JP. He's a classic example of a guy who looks great in shorts and practice but once the game whistle blows, the guy is clueless.

The same thing was said about a number of QBs; some such as this article suggest ended up in the hall of fame! And coaches as well as players can get better with time and experience; Belichek wasn't a genius in his first stint!

I am pretty sure that Modrak, while liking JP, was not in favor of trading up to the first round to get him. Modrak saw him as more a third-fourth round draft pick. TD, however, wanted to make a splash, and get a franchise QB. Losman was the best one left, Baltimore and Green Bay was interested... TD didn't want to lose him, so over valued him in the draft. I don't think Modrak was a big fan of that move. Just think how differently things might have played out for JP, if he had been drafted later. The Bills likely would have held on to Bledsoe another year, and not felt compelled to rush JP into the lineup. Losman was not ready to be a starter... he may never be, but the Bills let Bledsoe go a year too soon, IMO... he may have been dreadful in 2004, but he was still better than anything else the Bills had...

Again the major problem some fans had with Losman had to do with his fanclub. They always blamed everyone else but Losman for his failures. They always blame the coaches for killing Losman's career. What if it was Losman who was killing the coaches' careers? Losman criticized Fairchild after the Pittsburgh game. How easy would it have been for Fairchild to say something to the effect of "Tom Brady would have made plays?"

The fact is Losman was given a lot of chances to keep his job and he failed. And all he did was sulk last year and didn't contribute to helping the team better. Additionally for as good of a community guy he was, how come the cleanup didn't continue this year? Do you only need to be a starter to help clean up the city you supposedly love?

Trust me, I used to be a huge Losman fan and wanted him to succeed. But this year soured me a bit. Either way, I do really think he is a good guy and hope he truly recognizes that he only was the reason he failed. Perhaps, if he truly recognizes this, he can still get back on a NFL roster. So all the best to him and maybe he can tear up this league.

Let us not kid ourselves...The Green Bay Packers would have picked him a couple of spots behind us if we had not done so.

The problem was that TD paid a huge price to get Losman and that did not pay dividends. Sometimes you reach for the guy instead of sticking to your board and pay for a long time. The Bills were on the other hand rewarded with Edwards with a late 3rd round pick. With what Edwards has shown in the past few years, he would have easily been at least a 2nd round pick if not a late 1st rounder. It goes both ways...Time to move on....Hope Edwards is the long term future here.

Again the major problem some fans had with Losman had to do with his fanclub. They always blamed everyone else but Losman for his failures.

Yeah but you can say that about any of the Bills QB's. The Trent ball washers come up with all sorts of excuses like the JP, Rob Johnson, Flute ball washers did in the past.

Losman didn't work out here. Some of it his doing and some of it because the coaching. I wish him well in the UFL.

I thought the most compelling part of the ESPN article was the section where it talked about his four offensive coordinators, three of which had never held the job before. Would he have succeeded if Wilson would have brought real coaching talent to Buffalo?

i find it ironic (sad?) that he is going to be working with Fassel, since more than a few of us liked Fassel as a Head Coach option a few years ago. had this happened, the Bills would have had the same coach/qb core as a new team in a new league. to make it worse, we went with a less touted coach... ugh