JP signs with UFL

bbb

Your proof of that?

2004 TSN draft guide had him as the fourth best QB and a first rounder.

Also Sportsfan magazine had this to say;

J.P. Losman, out of Tulane, highly coveted by Green Bay to replace Brett Favre, is now in Buffalo, likely to take over after Drew Bledsoe. Losman brings an attitude, which has been missing there in a while.

Not sure what the quote from Sportsfan proves. I recall, at the time, the draft guides were all pretty split as to where Losman belonged in the draft. Like NFL teams, some had him ranked in the upper first round, and some had him ranked as low as a 4th round. After watching him play, I can see where the confusion comes from...he was hardly viewed as a conscenscious first round pick by everyone. Sam Wyche always had concerns about him as well.

There was mixed feelings about Losman all around the league. He may have been the 4th ranked QB in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was viewed as a first round draft pick by everyone. TD most coveted Ben Roethlisberger, when he couldn't get him, he set his sights on the next best, which was viewed as Losman. Modrak liked his potential, but didn't see him as a first round pick...only TD, and the folks in Green Bay and Baltimore were rumored to be interested in picking him that high.

When it was apparent that Green Bay was going to pick him, TD traded up to pick ahead of them, so he could have his franchise QB. From what I know, Modrak wasn't really enthralled with that move.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say or do is quote Fassell directly from the article:

""Quarterbacks, all they need to do is fit in the right circumstance," Fassel said.

JP is certainly in the right circumstance. Playing in a 4 team minor league with & against a bunch of NFL rejects. If he plays well what has he proven other than that he can suceed in the minor leagues? Gibran Hamdan played well in the minors & can't get a sniff beyond NFL 3rd stringer. At this point, NFL Europe was a superior league to the UFL.

I noticed the following quote from the Las Vegas Review Journal article:

> UFL commissioner Michael Huyghue said the signing of Losman was a huge step in the league's attempt to build credibility.

And a different quote from another article:

> NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said that getting rid of Losman was a huge step in the NFL's attempt to increase its credibility.

He may have been the 4th ranked QB in the draft, but that doesn't mean he was viewed as a first round draft pick by everyone.

QBs drafted after JP include

Matt Schaub (3rd rd)

Luke McCown (4th rd)

Jim Sorgi (6th rd)

And a bunch of other guys who didn't see much playing time.

Not a distinguished group. So was JP the 4th best QB in that class? Doubtful. Schaub has had his struggles but has played more consistently than JP. McCown and Sorgi are career backups, which is more than we can say for somebody headed to the UFL.