I would just like to know

That's fine and dandy. But how does it eliminate the fact that Ramius is Dr. Douche?

And I've never insinuated that the term was yours. I can't take credit for it either, other than admitting that it has a nice ring to it - Dr. Douche Ramius or Dr. Ramius Douche.

It does have a nice ring. And holds promise for a future term of address.

Dr. Douche Ramius = DRR.

Dr. Ramius Douche = DRD.

I like DRD more than DRR. "DrrrrD" sounds more derogatory than "DrrrrR". DrrrrR seems more of a slur of speech on the speaker's part, whereas DrrrD carries something final about it.

What do you think?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like DRD more than DRR. "DrrrrD" sounds more derogatory than "DrrrrR". DrrrrR seems more of a slur of speech on the speaker's part, whereas DrrrD carries something final about it.

What do you think?

I'm guessing that's what he sounded like when he was introducing himself after celebrating the PhD. Just add a little dribble after the DrrrrrR, aNd the mental image is complete (once they're with the retatta for the hangover cure)

While I asked for it by posting it on this board the majority of the posts while people are weighing in with their opinions have been down right inflammitory.....and yours were some of the most "direct"

There was a time on this board when people didn't treat each other like this. But this is what the board has become. It will most definatley be my last post of this kind.

John, I have 3 daughters, and I have been rough on them at times wrt school. I wanted them to achieve things that I did not. I have apologized to them for being to overbearing about it when they were young.

Yeah, I got carried away, but that was school. There is virtually zero chance, under any conditions, for a kid to make it as a pro football player. There are too many kids trying out for not enough jobs. Sure, some do make it, but it is SO rare that the odds are so slight that they are abstract. What I am trying to say, my old friend, is that if his knees were absolutely perfect, he wasn't going to be a pro by any stretch of probability. What would be great for any kid would be to get some sort of financial aid to play on a varsity team of any school, and I am talking about a major accomplishment.

You got some good advice John. Did you read post #53? The board isn't exactly the same as it was 10 years ago, but there are lots of people here who care about your situation. Bro, many of us, including you, go back a long way. You know this.

Btw, I played centerfield in a Met Sandlot league and high sccool. I had a cannon arm from center, and could hit a ball 300 feet when I was 15. I was the fastest guy on my team, and got a triple against a guy who made the major leagues. Oh.....he also struck me out 7 times in 8 at bats. It was pure luck to get that 1 hit. It was like facing Tom Seaver, at least to me it was.

Meanwhile, my father had me penciled in to start in centerfield for the Yankees. That was what I cared about, not school, and I paid the price. Deep down I knew that I wasn't good enough to live up to his dreams, and I said screw it. I just stopped playing. My father was crushed.

The good news is how much you love this kid. It pours out in all of your posts, and it has for years. It isn't too late to channel this love into education. Surely the injury will give him some extra time to spend with the tutor. It's rough to be a kid John. They have to make critical decisions which will shape the rest of their lives at an age where most of them are not qualified to do so. That is where he needs you. Imo, things will work out fine. I have faith in both of you.

PS: He didn't last, but he was one of the few who made it. As good as he was to me, he was a mop up middle reliever in the bigs.

John, I have 3 daughters, and I have been rough on them at times wrt school. I wanted them to achieve things that I did not. I have apologized to them for being to overbearing about it when they were young.

Yeah, I got carried away, but that was school. There is virtually zero chance, under any conditions, for a kid to make it as a pro football player. There are too many kids trying out for not enough jobs. Sure, some do make it, but it is SO rare that the odds are so slight that they are abstract. What I am trying to say, my old friend, is that if his knees were absolutely perfect, he wasn't going to be a pro by any stretch of probability. What would be great for any kid would be to get some sort of financial aid to play on a varsity team of any school, and I am talking about a major accomplishment.

You got some good advice John. Did you read post #53? The board isn't exactly the same as it was 10 years ago, but there are lots of people here who care about your situation. Bro, many of us, including you, go back a long way. You know this.

Btw, I played centerfield in a Met Sandlot league and high sccool. I had a cannon arm from center, and could hit a ball 300 feet when I was 15. I was the fastest guy on my team, and got a triple against a guy who made the major leagues. Oh.....he also struck me out 7 times in 8 at bats. It was pure luck to get that 1 hit. It was like facing Tom Seaver, at least to me it was.

Meanwhile, my father had me penciled in to start in centerfield for the Yankees. That was what I cared about, not school, and I paid the price. Deep down I knew that I wasn't good enough to live up to his dreams, and I said screw it. I just stopped playing. My father was crushed.

The good news is how much you love this kid. It pours out in all of your posts, and it has for years. It isn't too late to channel this love into education. Surely the injury will give him some extra time to spend with the tutor. It's rough to be a kid John. They have to make critical decisions which will shape the rest of their lives at an age where most of them are not qualified to do so. That is where he needs you. Imo, things will work out fine. I have faith in both of you.

PS: He didn't last, but he was one of the few who made it. As good as he was to me, he was a mop up middle reliever in the bigs.

Bill,

As always thanks for the post. What I have never been able to get out in my posts (its my fault because try as I might I dont say exactly what I mean for some reason)

- He had no chance of being a pro player......the guy that was working WITH him is faster, stronger, and has better connections and all he was able to do was play in the NFL Eurupa for a few years and get college opportunities that he turned down (foolish)

- I just wanted him to have the opportunity to play past high school....even if it meant only his JUCO years. So many try to translate on him "making it" by meaning the pro level or even Div I level........pro level was never a thought and Div I level was a huge stretch and he would have needed to be extremely lucky. I just wanted him to go past high school.....the education was right up there in my priorities.

John,as you have already said here,Juco is the way to go now. And there's nothing wrong with that. It will give him time to get his grades in order and,most importantly,mature a bit. And he can still play ball,I'm sure a local JUCO coach will give him a shot.. Some of the posters in this thread are so arrogant it's unbelievable. Getting good grades in high school is not as "easy as breathing" despite what some here may tell you. And just laying down the law,as in straight A's or no sports,isn't always the answer either. It really has more to do with your sons maturity level than anything else. My oldest did great in HS until his junior year,then all hell broke loose. And we ended up going thru an experience that sounds very similar to yours. Probly a little worse. We stayed firm with him,but never gave up. And you know what? He's now in college and doing great. Once your son matures a little the good grades will follow. And this may injury may be a blessing in disguise.

One of the good things about this community is also one of the troubling things. People can be civil but because we're not quite interacting with family/friends in the same way as we would in real life, you get a healthy dose of jerkiness and honesty. In this thread, you got a lot of candid opinions.

I've been here in many incarnations since I heard about TBD from the old D&C board (circa 97...I remember the job I was at when I found Scott's haven). The ability to offer candid advice has not changed one bit. Would people be so brutally honest and succinct with you in person? Maybe not--but that's a good thing.

SDS offered a point of view you must consider, that your son has passive-aggressively sabotaged himself in football (with the grades, not the injury) for a reason. Unless there were drugs or some extreme distraction involved that you haven't mentioned, he blew his grades up despite the fact that he knew it would tank his football career. There could be a million reasons for it--I would not want to speculate. But the point is, if he really wanted football deep down, he'd have done everything he could to make it. He didn't. Unearthing "why" he didn't will be an important thing for you to understand. Based on your posts on the subject, you don't know the reasons.

- I just wanted him to have the opportunity to play past high school....even if it meant only his JUCO years. So many try to translate on him "making it" by meaning the pro level or even Div I level........pro level was never a thought and Div I level was a huge stretch and he would have needed to be extremely lucky. I just wanted him to go past high school.....the education was right up there in my priorities.

And then what?

What I think many are saying, after being in a very similar situation is that it is important to prioritize the goals. Many here were high school sports stars who knew that they wouldn't touch the pros, or even Div I levels. But they used athletics to help get into a good school and build upon that foundation. It seems your kid isn't an idiot because he did well in school until this year. No one is saying that you should push him to be a rocket scientist, but he's not going to get very far in the world without a good education. If you want him to have a better future you have to be honest with yourself and him as to where that will be.

While I asked for it by posting it on this board the majority of the posts while people are weighing in with their opinions have been down right inflammitory.....and yours were some of the most "direct"

There was a time on this board when people didn't treat each other like this. But this is what the board has become. It will most definatley be my last post of this kind.

One more post before I bow out....

John, sometimes when it is you against the world - it's the world that has a point. Blaming the reaction of the community to your situation on some sort of degradation that has occurred over time is a complete misreading of the reaction. I am confident you would have received the same response on day 1 as you did the past 2 weeks.

Quite frankly John, 99/100 posters here would have been BRUTALIZED if they posted what you did. I'm talking Tracy Lee DVD burning, retatta making, njsue homework googling brutalized. That didn't happen because everyone likes you John and they want to help. You are a good guy who loves his family and we know that. Where you saw inflammatory responses, I saw great restraint and concern. The problem is that you don't see how skewed your attitudes are because they belong to you.

I'm hoping you straighten your nose and reread this with an open mind. There are a lot of people here trying to help and it is something to be thankful for, not resentful.

What SDS said.

DC Tom practically gargled your man-juice when he said he was going to fly to Hemet and slap you. Have you ever seen him exercise such restraint?

I think back to Melissa from Philly's threads regarding her kids--she got harsh criticism. You got what people feel is honesty.

It's definitely possible that we're all wrong. WTF do we know about your situation besides a few paragraphs about your son over the years?

One of the good things about this community is also one of the troubling things. People can be civil but because we're not quite interacting with family/friends in the same way as we would in real life, you get a healthy dose of jerkiness and honesty. In this thread, you got a lot of candid opinions.

I've been here in many incarnations since I heard about TBD from the old D&C board (circa 98-9...I remember the job I was at when I found Scott's haven). The ability to offer candid advice has not changed one bit. Would people be so brutally honest and succinct with you in person? Maybe not--but that's a good thing.

SDS offered a point of view you must consider, that your son has passive-aggressively sabotaged himself in football (with the grades, not the injury) for a reason. Unless there were drugs or some extreme distraction involved that you haven't mentioned, he blew his grades up despite the fact that he knew it would tank his football career. There could be a million reasons for it--I would not want to speculate. But the point is, if he really wanted football deep down, he'd have done everything he could to make it. He didn't. Unearthing "why" he didn't will be an important thing for you to understand. Based on your posts on the subject, you don't know the reasons.

Somehow John......you got across the things that were trying to be said without slapping me with a tuna at the same time.

And then what?

What I think many are saying, after being in a very similar situation is that it is important to prioritize the goals. Many here were high school sports stars who knew that they wouldn't touch the pros, or even Div I levels. But they used athletics to help get into a good school and build upon that foundation. It seems your kid isn't an idiot because he did well in school until this year. No one is saying that you should push him to be a rocket scientist, but he's not going to get very far in the world without a good education. If you want him to have a better future you have to be honest with yourself and him as to where that will be.

I have been a pretty hard on him this past year about the fact that his grades were slipping...but even I dont expect a 17 year old to know what he wants to do with the rest of his life.

I was kinda hoping that once he got to college he would get an idea of what he would like to do.

Shut it, Mr. President.

One more post before I bow out....

John, sometimes when it is you against the world - it's the world that has a point. Blaming the reaction of the community to your situation on some sort of degradation that has occurred over time is a complete misreading of the reaction. I am confident you would have received the same response on day 1 as you did the past 2 weeks.

Quite frankly John, 99/100 posters here would have been BRUTALIZED if they posted what you did. I'm talking Tracy Lee DVD burning, retatta making, njsue homework googling brutalized. That didn't happen because everyone likes you John and they want to help. You are a good guy who loves his family and we know that. Where you saw inflammatory responses, I saw great restraint and concern. The problem is that you don't see how skewed your attitudes are because they belong to you.

I'm hoping you straighten your nose and reread this with an open mind. There are a lot of people here trying to help and it is something to be thankful for, not resentful.

Sorry SDS.....gonna have to agree to dissagree. You cant tell me the board has not degraded in the class that certain posters show in their posts. The suggestions are good and the points are probably valid and I am just to close to the situation not to agree with everything.....but the lack of tact shown by certain posters (being passed off by being "candid and honest") shows just how the board has changed. You created, started, and maintained this board for which all of us are eternally grateful but some of us have been here with you since practically its conception as well. Several posters move on or just "ghost" because of it and dont contribute.

In the end it was my fault for putting my personal issues up on the board and I learned my lesson.

Sorry SDS.....gonna have to agree to dissagree. You cant tell me the board has not degraded in the class that certain posters show in their posts. The suggestions are good and the points are probably valid and I am just to close to the situation not to agree with everything.....but the lack of tact shown by certain posters (being passed off by being "candid and honest") shows just how the board has changed. You created, started, and maintained this board for which all of us are eternally grateful but some of us have been here with you since practically its conception as well. Several posters move on or just "ghost" because of it and dont contribute.

In the end it was my fault for putting my personal issues up on the board and I learned my lesson.

Whatever observation you are making in general, does not mean it applies to this thread, this situation. It doesn't apply. The problem is that you are in 100%, full-fledged denial of what you are reading and your defense mechanism is to assume we are all meanies. Your reluctance to see the situation from another point of view causes others to sharpen their words in hopes of piercing that shell. That's not a lack of tact, it's genuine concern.

If you think you are a victim of a lack of tact, then I don't think you truly appreciate what could have been said and would have been said to almost anyone else...

Somehow John......you got across the things that were trying to be said without slapping me with a tuna at the same time.

Sometimes we all need a tuna upside our heads. I've have several over the years and have taken it as constructive and I'm a better person for it.

To me, every single thread from ten years ago until today is like going to the supermarket to buy some fruit or vegetables. Certain peaches are going to suck and already be disgustingly rotten that you throw back, certain ones are not going to be ripe enough, certain ones you're not really sure of, certain ones look pretty great and may or may not go in your bag, and there are a couple or several that look excellent that you buy.

The thing is, it's okay that the bad ones are in there. You have to take every peach from the tree to find the good and great ones, and so what if you have to weed through a bunch of crappy ones to get the good stuff. It's the price you have to pay to come to this amazing market. And I don't think it's changed all that much over the years.

To me, every single thread from ten years ago until today is like going to the supermarket to buy some fruit or vegetables. Certain peaches are going to suck and already be disgustingly rotten that you throw back, certain ones are not going to be ripe enough, certain ones you're not really sure of, certain ones look pretty great and may or may not go in your bag, and there are a couple or several that look excellent that you buy.

The thing is, it's okay that the bad ones are in there. You have to take every peach from the tree to find the good and great ones, and so what if you have to weed through a bunch of crappy ones to get the good stuff. It's the price you have to pay to come to this amazing market. And I don't think it's changed all that much over the years.

If TSW is a supermarket, we've gone from Wegmans quality to Aldi over the past couple years :thumbsup:

So you're a rotten peach??? :thumbsup: