What do you miss about Buffalo?

I miss Mighty Taco and I'm lucky to have Ted's Hot Dogs out here in Phoenix so I can get the Salen's dogs for home and Weber's Mustard. Yes, I have converted neighbors to the mustard and to Ted's.

I miss when I order wings here I have to specify Bleu Cheese because they all serve ranch with the wings. I haven't found a decent local (not chain) pizza place in Phoenix for the last 15 years.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to love a bar called Jack Daniels (on Forrest?). They had good music, too. Also liked Cassidy's and Gabels...cookout night...free (or 25 cent) burgers and dogs and pitchers of mixed drinks for $2.

Gabels...yeah.

Checkers

CPBG

Even the Pink Flamingo had its day in the (fleeting) sun

I miss the community. The people of WNY are real, genuine, and look out for one another in a caring way. I live in Annapolis, MD now (Washington, DC area) and have worked all over the country - there is no better place when it comes to a great community feel. The Bills and Sabres are a part of that. If I were able to get a job in the area I would move back and love to raise my family there. Unfortunately, the overtaxing, nanny state government of NY has driven out all business and jobs. Until that changes, it will be hard to make WNY a viable/vibrant/growing economy where jobs are created and the people are free to succeed.

Lets go Buff-a-lo!

Cheers from a born and raised Buffalonian displaced to DC,

Keith

The Mighty Taco is a funny subject. Most of us agree that it's not as good as it used to be. For instance (and I worked there in college) they used to re-fry their beans in animal fat which made them a lot more tasty. They no longer do that. Also they've cut corners I think on some of their ingredients.

Objectively speaking, better quality "Mexican" food tends away from ground beef and more towards chunks of beef or chicken as in most fajitas.

Mighty Taco is not authentic in any way and is not as good as it used to be. That said, if you've grown up with it like most of us, there's a particular scrumptiousness about their food.

It's partly our duty to love Mighty, also as teenagers we were weaned on Mighty so we are a bit brainwashed, and finally there's something about Mighty Taco that is actually quite satisfying. I always go to Mighty when I'm visiting home.

I could not agree more. It is a sore subject on this board when someone states that MT sucks but that is exactly what it has become. It is not the same anymore. I used love going to MT when I was in college & before I got married. I can not stand the place anymore. Unfortunately my son likes it & he wants to go quite often. Usually I do not even eat nothing when we are there. I know it is tough for people to accept, but they changed the quality of meat/ingrediants plus they are more skimpy then they used to be. In fact, I know I will be blasted on this board but I would rather eat at taco bell, & I am not crazy about taco bell either.

- family and friends

- the fact that Buffalo has the amenities of most large cities without the expense and congestion

- the food (which has been already been greatly discussed)

- the weather in the summer is perfect

- the laid back, friendly, and unpretentious sensibilities of the people

- Living in Bills and Sabres country

Tina's Italian Kitchen

Corn on the cob and the Chiavetta's chicken barbeque at the Eden Corn Festival

The little ice cream stand on 62 just north of Gowanda that had the best peanut butter sundaes.

Sponge candy

Fishing for walleyes on Lake Chatauqua

The conservation building at the Fair

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

Tina's Italian Kitchen

The little ice cream stand on 62 just north of Gowanda that had the best peanut butter sundaes.

Sponge candy

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

Is it true that Bailo's got cited for using horsemeat? Isn't Gowanda the place with the nuthouse?

I can get sponge candy out here about once every 5 years. I used to hate when I picked a chunk that had the hard sponge..bummer

Tina's Italian Kitchen

Sponge candy

Bison's games

Schwabels beef on weck

We've had numerous wonderful Buffalo/Food threads lately and I think this is the first post to mention the unbelievably delicious corn on the cob you can get in WNY. In Cali we get awesome produce and garden vegetables but the fresh corn is nowhere near as good as it is back home.

We've had numerous wonderful Buffalo/Food threads lately and I think this is the first post to mention the unbelievably delicious corn on the cob you can get in WNY. In Cali we get awesome produce and garden vegetables but the fresh corn is nowhere near as good as it is back home.

At the famous Nathan's Famous at Coney Island the fools stand in line and pay good money to eat cow corn that's been simmering for weeks in a steamer. They also eat chow mein sandwiches on burger buns.

At the famous Nathan's Famous at Coney Island the fools stand in line and pay good money to eat cow corn that's been simmering for weeks in a steamer. They also eat chow mein sandwiches on burger buns.

True. But Nathan's Dogs are pretty scrumptious (if a bit small) and their fries are excellent. And of course the Hot Dog eating contest on July 4th weekend is a great event. We went there in 2007 when Joey Chestnut of San Jose finally dethroned the great Kobayashi in a nip and tuck battle which resulted in a new World Record.

But I digress...yes their corn sucks.

True. But Nathan's Dogs are pretty scrumptious (if a bit small) and their fries are excellent. And of course the Hot Dog eating contest on July 4th weekend is a great event. We went there in 2007 when Joey Chestnut of San Jose finally dethroned the great Kobayashi in a nip and tuck battle which resulted in a new World Record.

Spent a summer at San Jose SU. What a dump. Ate nothing but good-to-excellent Vietnamese food in the neighborhood. At least I got to see a lot of good live music and comedy acts, and the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo.

I never thought much of Nathan's dogs. I went there on occasion when I lived on Long Island. Now, I'm not the biggest hot dog guy, so maybe my opinion on this isn't worth much. To me, though, the dogs were mushy and without much flavor. I eat my hot dogs with nothing on them. Just the dog and the bun, so the flavor and the texture of the dog (and the bun quality) is all that matters to me. Ted's charcoal cooked Sahlen dogs (with the natural casing) are much better, IMO.

Please don't restart this argument. All we need is for Chef Jim to start lecturing us about Mexican food again. Mighty Taco isn't Mexican. That doesn't make it bad. It is what it is...a WNY-style taco/burrito. It serves it's purpose...sobering up drunks at 4am.

PTR

Mexican food? I have to lecture you food retards about ALL food. :lol:

I can't believe I forgot to mention how much I miss Grateful Dead shows at Rich Stadium.

I saw them a bunch of times there and loved every damn minute of it.

I saw them in other places in America and nothing compared.

Glen Park and the Inferno

A cappicola sub from Fran's

Pizza

Wings

Crystal Beach

Loanberry (trying to grow some here in Colorado)

Charlie the Butcher

The Bills, the Sabres, the Bonnies at the Aud

Been in Dallas since '81..

I must have lived near you - miss Glen Park and the Inferno

Also enjoyed plenty of Capicola subs at Frans also, they were the best. No Capicola in TX

Also miss..

- The Fall (we have two seasons in TX - green and brown, it is getting brown again)

- First Snow

- Santoras - I was a delivery guy for the ;ocation on main in Williamsville

- Local TV personalities - Azar and Weinstein - don;t really know they guys here but it has only been 28 yrs

- Kids that could ride their bikes wherever they want

- Being able to ride my dirt bike on the railroad tracks from main/union to West Seneca

- Dean's Cycles on Walden in Depew

- Skaros drive in on Walden in Depew

- Twin fair

- Being able to go to a local watering hole in Depew and spending a night drinking and getting a good hamburger and settling up for under $10 - Pentacle still around?

- Joe McCarthy Little League baseball

- Playing Hockey in the swamps near Cayuga

- Summer with the windows open

- Good sense of community and togetherness, especially during the blizzards

- No Name Bar, Goodbar, Mighty Taco - and a sub shop I forgot the name of in the buff state/elmwood area

- Niagara Falls, King Edward, Molson Brador

- The Aud, Rich Stadium, Bills and Sabres....

Spent a summer at San Jose SU. What a dump. Ate nothing but good-to-excellent Vietnamese food in the neighborhood. At least I got to see a lot of good live music and comedy acts, and the elephant seals at Ano Nuevo.

What year were you there? San Jose is now the 10th largest city in the U.S. They have spent lots of money in the urban core and downtown is now very safe, clean, and full of things to do. Developers have built several high rise, upscale condos downtown. It's a very nice city. Of course like most cities, the area around the college is somewhat of the prototypical "student slum." It's a lot better than around the UB Main Street Campus and similar to the area around the Buff State Campus.

I never thought much of Nathan's dogs. I went there on occasion when I lived on Long Island. Now, I'm not the biggest hot dog guy, so maybe my opinion on this isn't worth much. To me, though, the dogs were mushy and without much flavor. I eat my hot dogs with nothing on them. Just the dog and the bun, so the flavor and the texture of the dog (and the bun quality) is all that matters to me. Ted's charcoal cooked Sahlen dogs (with the natural casing) are much better, IMO.

I would say the skin on the Nathan's has more flavor...as it grills it renders a nice sausagy flavor. Sahlens has a pretty thick skin. Nathan's are kosher dogs meaning that there is only beef and no pork in them and maybe that's why I like the Sahlens filling better. But I'm not a huge hot dog guy either. I'll take a keilbasa or a brat first.

What year were you there? San Jose is now the 10th largest city in the U.S. They have spent lots of money in the urban core and downtown is now very safe, clean, and full of things to do. Developers have built several high rise, upscale condos downtown. It's a very nice city. Of course like most cities, the area around the college is somewhat of the prototypical "student slum." It's a lot better than around the UB Main Street Campus and similar to the area around the Buff State Campus

I'm guessing about 15 years ago since I was there. Haven't gone back. My wife and I like to cruise CA1 in my cherry old Integra RS from Morro Bay to San Fran, because we love the Big Sur, Carmel, Pacific Grove/Monterrey areas south, and then the Ano Nuevo (we try to catch the elephant seal orgy around Xmas-New Years), Half Moon Bay, Redwood ride further north. Don't really like Santa Cruz much, except for the campus, and some nice fossil beds we found in the cliffs by the sea. We lived in The City and love Chinese food, so we always spend a few days eating our way through China Town in SF. We only drive the Interstate if CA1 gets washed out or mud-slided. If you're out thereabouts and vaguely see a red blur go by, that's likely us.

Having left the Buffalo area for Rochester at age 11, but returning often until I joined the service, I miss the following in western NY:

Sahlen's Hotdogs

Ted's

Zweigles White Hots

Amerc's games

The Red Wings

Niagra Falls

Crystal Beach

Swimming in Buffalo Creek (Elma)

M&A's and my grandma

Taking the bus everywhere

Bison Football

Attica & Arcade RR

Bills Games

The Rockpile

Duff's

Beef on a Weck

Letchworth SP

Watkins Glen SP

Dunkirk

The Waterfront

Seabreeze Park

Lake Erie & Ontario

Brightly colored houses (Pink, pea soup green, purple...etc)

Kielbasa

Deli's

Real Wings, not the crap Buffalo Wild Wings sells

Genessee Cream Ale

Labatt's

The Peace Bridge

Rick Azar

WKBW Chicken Man (I go back that far)

Things I don't miss:

Corruption on steroids

The mafia

Dunlop Tires Smoke and Smell

Bethlehem Steel Smell

High Taxes

Corrupt Politician

Humidity

Piles of Snow deep enough you can walk out your second floor window

Rusty cars

Tolls on the thruway

potholes

I miss western NY, and definately miss the food.

You bring up some of the same things I think about....but Chicken Man? Boy did I get a laught out of that! I go back that far as well. How about the original Glen Park? And the Inferno?

Been in Dallas since '81..

I must have lived near you - miss Glen Park and the Inferno

Also enjoyed plenty of Capicola subs at Frans also, they were the best. No Capicola in TX

Also miss..

- The Fall (we have two seasons in TX - green and brown, it is getting brown again)

- First Snow

- Santoras - I was a delivery guy for the ;ocation on main in Williamsville

- Local TV personalities - Azar and Weinstein - don;t really know they guys here but it has only been 28 yrs

- Kids that could ride their bikes wherever they want

- Being able to ride my dirt bike on the railroad tracks from main/union to West Seneca

- Dean's Cycles on Walden in Depew

- Skaros drive in on Walden in Depew

- Twin fair

- Being able to go to a local watering hole in Depew and spending a night drinking and getting a good hamburger and settling up for under $10 - Pentacle still around?

- Joe McCarthy Little League baseball

- Playing Hockey in the swamps near Cayuga

- Summer with the windows open

- Good sense of community and togetherness, especially during the blizzards

- No Name Bar, Goodbar, Mighty Taco - and a sub shop I forgot the name of in the buff state/elmwood area

- Niagara Falls, King Edward, Molson Brador

- The Aud, Rich Stadium, Bills and Sabres....

I almost wrote Santoras as well. The one on Main Street in Williamsville was a high school hangout. Played ball in the Joe McCarthy league, the fields were way out in the country at the time, can't remember the name. They did have a cup on top of the right feild pole, if you hit a ball in there, you won something. Irv Weinstein passed away some years ago I believe. Rick Azar is retired.

I would say the skin on the Nathan's has more flavor...as it grills it renders a nice sausagy flavor. Sahlens has a pretty thick skin. Nathan's are kosher dogs meaning that there is only beef and no pork in them and maybe that's why I like the Sahlens filling better. But I'm not a huge hot dog guy either. I'll take a keilbasa or a brat first.

I've noticed lately that I don't really care for all-beef dogs. It seems most of the dogs I like have some pork content. Same with sausage. I like hot Italian sausage...all pork! Chicken sausage or turkey sausage can be OK, but it just isn't right to me, for some reason.

Great Thread!!

Things that I miss have all been mentioned but some that stand out:

Bills season tickets - N3 Row3 seats on the aisle

going to Sabres, Bandits and Bisons games

the nice summers, here in Orlando, they tend to be a bit brutal but winters here are amazing

all the lawn fetes and beer pumped out of the side of a truck

blue light

driving down RT 14 and sampling wine from Geneva to Watkins Glen

Ziggy's on Main and Eggert, never really a big fan of Mighty Taco

all the food, you name it, I miss it, especially a Royal Sub from anywhere, John and Mary's in Cheektowaga was the best

all the people through the years that I've tailgated with, it numbers in the hundreds and everyone of them is like family

I don't miss the same crap everyone has mentioned

The endless winters, weeks without sun

the negativity, it still baffles me every time I go back that I still hear the same crap

the ungodly high taxes just to support generations of families living off the system

the ill informed people who vote for someone because their name sounds familiar

The one thing that really gets me though is that my two young kids won't grow up with all the variety of things to do and the close knit neighborhood that I grew up in. I'm from the Cleve Hill area in Cheektowaga and growing up, from sun up to sun down, just about all the kids in the neighborhood were together doing something, either in large or small groups but everyone basically got along and did things together.

Buffalo(WNY), for the most part, is a large family spread out over miles but it's a place that we all still call home, no matter where we are today.

You know, I was very young, like 8, when we left, so the things that I miss are

kid things, like snow, building ice forts, slipping down to the lake, (we lived in Lakeview),

we had an etremely large family, so my parents would kick the older ones out of the house

early, and we would just tag along all day with them, and many times in to the night. They really

didn't miss us, we didn't really stay out all that late, but belive me, my parents never went

looking for us, I think that they were hoping that a few of us wouldn't find our way back home.

Of course parents didn't have to worry about as much back then either, especially in a place

like Buffalo.

I miss having access to MY TEAMS, Crystal Beach, Botanical Gardens, there was a great Ice Cream

spot out along Rt. 5, on the right hand side if you were heading toward Lakeview, that was great.

When our driveway was plowed, we could jump off the second story balcony in to the piles.

We use to bowl, ice skate, and ride rides at I think Blasedell, the name escapes me right now.

The Erie County Fair was fantastic, I got lost there one time when I was 6 or 7, wandered around balling

for about two hours, that wasn't exactly memorable.

My nieghbor took us to some swimming hole, I think on the way to the falls or something, possibly

off of the Niagara River, an inlet or something, all natural with diving boards and all, I think that that

was one of the coolest places that I ever swam at.

For a very short period of time, I have accumulated a lot of great memories, and they seem to

stand out more than others, maybe because I was just a kid, but a lot has to do with the fact that

it is just a very neat place to live, your little secret!SHHHHHHHH!

The endless winters, weeks without sun

The winters do end, but some definitely do seem longer than others. But weeks without sun? That's a ridiculous comment! When exactly does this happen? It's so freaken sunny in the winter you can't even see with it reflecting off the snow.

the negativity, it still baffles me every time I go back that I still hear the same crap

It baffles me that so many out of towners say this? Everywhere you go you'll hear negative comments from some people. I am sure there are a few folks in Orlando that are negative and say the "same crap" every day. It baffles me that everyone that leaves think they are so much better than everyone else, when in fact they were the negative ones saying the same crap before they left! And probably continue to say it...

the ungodly high taxes just to support generations of families living off the system

Can't argue with that, but the new boss will make it so every City is like that in good time.

the ill informed people who vote for someone because their name sounds familiar

Another ridiculous statement! Where do you get that from? The most well known name to run for office in quite some time was Joe Mesi this past year, and he lost. I don't understand that comment at all.

Buffalo(WNY), for the most part, is a large family spread out over miles but it's a place that we all still call home, no matter where we are today.

This is very true. I don't agree with a lot of your statements or most other out of towners for that fact. And this is not just directed at you, flomoe. But those who left miss us, we don't miss you. You would never come back, that's fine, we don't want you back. You moved for your reasons, I stayed for my reasons. Just don't think you're so much better than the people that stayed...

Things I miss: fish fry, Mayer Bros apple cider, Louie's TX Red Hots, pizza & wings (pretty much anybody's), Bison chip dip, Broadway Market, Al Cohen's bakery,....you get the idea

Buffalo is the only city to have two of its mayors go on to become President of the country. Guess their names.

It was also the first city in America to have electric street lights.

I think one was Grover Cleveland, maybe the other Was Millard Filmore, possibly McKinleY?

There used to be a cider mill somewhere in Elma, and, if you had apple trees, you could bring your ripe apples, and they would make juice out of them. That was pretty cool.

I thought Elma Meadows and especially Niagara Parks (in Ontario) were very fine golf courses.

I saw some really great stuff at the Lewiston Art Park:

* the Buffalo Symphony and some fine soloists and choruses performing Beethoven's 9th

* Twyla Tharp's dance company

Here's what I miss:

Acme; Nu-Way; Two Guys; Gold Circle; Kresge's; Bond's; Robert Hall; Kleinhan's Men's Stores; A&P; Bells; Freddie's Doughnuts; Grant's; Neisner's; Outdoor Store; Dick Fisher's Sporting Goods; Scime's Hot Dog Stand; Pat's; Brinson's; Deco Restaurants; Ted's (right under the Peace Bridge); Mike's Subs; the Sky Room; Falcon Eddie's; Mulligan's Cafe; Pierce Arrows'; Henry's Hamburgers; the Bona Vista; Schoenie's; Korab's; Alfie's, the Imperial Garage, the Ontario House, all 3 in the Falls; the Pine Grill; the Revilot Lounge; the Royal Arms; and all the free music venues for both local and out of town bands.

Oh... and I still live here, Ha !

:rolleyes: Friggin Classic!

BTW, was it really Cleveland and Filmore? If so, I cant't belive that I nailed it.

Must have been paying attention in History Class, favorite subject actually.

BTW, Vey good post!

Thanks. I'm probably never going back there, but I misspent my first 25 years there, and nostalgia hits every once in awhile.

Fillmore

G. Cleveland

Here's what I miss:

Acme; Nu-Way; Two Guys; Gold Circle; Kresge's; Bond's; Robert Hall; Kleinhan's Men's Stores; A&P; Bells; Freddie's Doughnuts; Grant's; Neisner's; Outdoor Store; Dick Fisher's Sporting Goods; Scime's Hot Dog Stand; Pat's; Brinson's; Deco Restaurants; Ted's (right under the Peace Bridge); Mike's Subs; the Sky Room; Falcon Eddie's; Mulligan's Cafe; Pierce Arrows'; Henry's Hamburgers; the Bona Vista; Schoenie's; Korab's; Alfie's, the Imperial Garage, the Ontario House, all 3 in the Falls; the Pine Grill; the Revilot Lounge; the Royal Arms; and all the free music venues for both local and out of town bands.

Oh... and I still live here, Ha !

wow! Impressive list, but what about Uncle Sam's night club? I think it was somewhere around Walden and Union, or maybe George Urban and Dick. Previously, it had been a lumber yard. Your shoes would stick to the floor every time you took a step because there was spilled Boone's Farm strawberry wine everywhere. The dance floor was a mile long, and had colored lights that moved in synchrony with the drum set.