What do you miss about Buffalo?

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

I'd have to go with Mighty Taco, John and Marys, Charlie The Butcher,pretty much all the very "Buffalo" places and products, of course friends and family that are all over the Western NY area, and as sad as it may sound, Wegmans. And definitely the fair (parking at the old plaza there for free and sneaking in through the path). Having been born and raised in the southtowns I'll also miss the Drive In in Angola, summers at Mickey Rats and Capt Kidds, fourth of Julys spent at Dunkirk Pier (I hear that whole event has gotten over crowded and gone down hill somewhat), being able to drive 40-1 hour south to get to great hunting/skiing/ camping areas, and then the same distance north to see the falls or crossing the bridge and seeing the wax museum. And finally, winter, my folks are still out that way and the last 3 or 4 years it sounds like I would gladly trade winter weather with them lol. Here in the Capital region we've had more snow that stayed around longer than out there.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, I always thought that Salvatore's Italian Garden on Transit, maybe Depew, was the most garish, overblown place I ever went to.

The only place close is Baby Does Matchless Mine in Denver.

I left 13 years ago.

The things I miss:

A. Family & friends and knowing you're "home"

B. Food

1) Might taco

2) Ilio's

3) Beef on Weck

4) Canadian beer

C. My personal historic places... Played footbal @ the Annex, used to bowl Blasdell lanes... 1st place I got drunk...etc.

D. BIlls & Sabres games.

E. The less hectic pace of life

Things I don't miss:

1. The $#&*ing weather!

2. The whole world is against Buffalo mentalilty

A decent CHICKEN WING. Everywhere else they are annoyingly called buffalo wings. There are a few places I have found outside Buffalo that make ok wings, but I really don't understand how it's so difficult to get right. I did my time as a fryer cook in my younger days so I know that making a good wing isn't rocket science. Large wings, hot enough oil and cook them long enough so they are crispy and you are half way there. Then keep it simple with the sauces. Have hot, medium and mild and end it there. All these places try to get fancy with 15 different sauces, breaded wings etc. Blue cheese only! Ranch by request.

Howdy - Goto Wild Wing Cafe in Brier Creek. Order the regular hot wing extra crispy and you have the closest thing to a Buffalo wing in NC. They are quite good and worth trying. No one else besides Buffalo Brothers on Capital in N Raleigh comes close in the Raleigh area.

I left Buffalo decades ago for The City, but used to make frequent visits for reunions with my family. Now my parents have passed away, and I don't go back anymore. Now I live in the Phoenix area.

What I miss mostly is the food:

* John & Mary's Royal sub (Harlem Rd. only) - cappacola and I-sausage

* Texas Red Hots (the sauce, diced raw onions, and some mustard)

* local pizza shops

* real butcher shops like Redlinski's (don't tell me if they're gone)

It was home - hard to reproduce that feeling anywhere else. Buffalo has the best junk food of anyplace I've ever been.

I don't miss the self-hating attitude so many Buffalonians have and I don't miss cold Spring seasons.

local pizza places..phenomenal pizza almost everywhere in western new York

lazing on a sunny afternoon on a sidewalk cafe on hertel

clarence center,village of williamsville,east aurora

wings and hockey at wiechecs

the terrific high end restaurants(very comparable to what we have in SF and the napa Valley)

The many beautiful Catholic Churches

Down to earth people(in general--every place has its arsehats)

Buffalo has the best junk food of anyplace I've ever been.

Truth (in terms of the USA). Long island has soft shell crab sandwiches (in season), and Cajun country is fantastic, SF and The City have great Chinese including dim sum, but Europe has some mighty stuff.

The USA has become all about corporate franchise crap, but Europe still has individually owned and operated, which is what I sense we're saying about Buffalo too.

Having left the Buffalo area for Rochester at age 11, but returning often until I joined the service, I miss the following in western NY:

Sahlen's Hotdogs

Ted's

Zweigles White Hots

Amerc's games

The Red Wings

Niagra Falls

Crystal Beach

Swimming in Buffalo Creek (Elma)

M&A's and my grandma

Taking the bus everywhere

Bison Football

Attica & Arcade RR

Bills Games

The Rockpile

Duff's

Beef on a Weck

Letchworth SP

Watkins Glen SP

Dunkirk

The Waterfront

Seabreeze Park

Lake Erie & Ontario

Brightly colored houses (Pink, pea soup green, purple...etc)

Kielbasa

Deli's

Real Wings, not the crap Buffalo Wild Wings sells

Genessee Cream Ale

Labatt's

The Peace Bridge

Rick Azar

WKBW Chicken Man (I go back that far)

Things I don't miss:

Corruption on steroids

The mafia

Dunlop Tires Smoke and Smell

Bethlehem Steel Smell

High Taxes

Corrupt Politician

Humidity

Piles of Snow deep enough you can walk out your second floor window

Rusty cars

Tolls on the thruway

potholes

I miss western NY, and definately miss the food.

Real pizza, real Buffalo chicken wings, saline hotdogs, Rick Azar, Irv Winstein, Tom Joles, sneaking into the Aud to watch Sabre games from up in the nose bleed sections (standing of-course), being able to watch all the Bills games on TV without having to pay for direct TV, Wegmans, snow days out of school, pick up football games on any open field available, street hockey, skipping a day of school to go to Niagria Falls, the Buffalo Braves, the French Connection, OJ before the fall, Caz park, Erie county fair, the Drive-Ins, walking around downtown Buffalo before the trolley cars screwed it all up, exploring the old train station at the end of Main street before it was demolished, wondering if the Bills would ever play in a Super Bowl.

<_<:blink:

I agree 100%

(glad Wegman's finally came to Fredericksburg, VA)

After being away from Buffalo for 14 years, I miss the following (other than the 2 greatest sports franchises ever):

1. The people - cocksure and arrogant, but always willing to give you the shirt off their back

2. The beer - Blue doesn't have a shelf life, so unless you drink where it flows like water, it goes bitter quick

3. Chicken Wings - Only exist in Buffalo, everywhere else its a weak imitation known as the "Buffalo" wing.

4. Mighty Taco - best fast food taco chain (Del Taco blows and Taco Bell ain't much better)

5. Beef & Sirloin - Oh what happened to you????

6. Bozanna's - Home of the 69 pound pizza...

7. Weber's, Chivetta's, and Miller's - 3 staples to good food.

8. Wegman's (and even Tops) - no one else can compare

9. Delta Sonic - Best car wash in town

10. The Old Pink - Great Chicken Sandwich, good pool, and that key chain stamper thingy

11. Friday Fish Fry - pick your poison

12. Zorba's - No better burger at 4am.

13. Chicken Finger Subs - again, pick your poison.

14. Aunt Rosie's Loganberry

I'll stop there or else I will lose it.

After being away from Buffalo for 14 years, I miss the following (other than the 2 greatest sports franchises ever):

1. The people - cocksure and arrogant, but always willing to give you the shirt off their back

2. The beer - Blue doesn't have a shelf life, so unless you drink where it flows like water, it goes bitter quick

3. Chicken Wings - Only exist in Buffalo, everywhere else its a weak imitation known as the "Buffalo" wing.

4. Mighty Taco - best fast food taco chain (Del Taco blows and Taco Bell ain't much better)

5. Beef & Sirloin - Oh what happened to you????

6. Bozanna's - Home of the 69 pound pizza...

7. Weber's, Chivetta's, and Miller's - 3 staples to good food.

8. Wegman's (and even Tops) - no one else can compare

9. Delta Sonic - Best car wash in town

10. The Old Pink - Great Chicken Sandwich, good pool, and that key chain stamper thingy

11. Friday Fish Fry - pick your poison

12. Zorba's - No better burger at 4am.

13. Chicken Finger Subs - again, pick your poison.

14. Aunt Rosie's Loganberry

I'll stop there or else I will lose it.

Oh wait...

15. The world's largest Disco....