What do you miss about Buffalo?

I don't think so. This place was somewhere tucked in around Main and maybe Seneca, deep in the old downtown. It was upstairs over an old time boxing training facility. The name was Garron's or Garrund's. Used to be full of gangsters playing cards. Great place to grow up.

The boxing gym was Singer's which was run by my former trainer, the late Johnny Sudac. He died of an aneurysm back in the 90's...but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the pool hall.

My must go to stops when i visit:

Boston Hotel : Lobster Dainties A plate full.....

FYI the original Boston Hotel burned down last year but they've apparently rebuilt across the street in a newer building, or so I'm told.

5. The Library (which was a bar on the second story of a building near a Mighty Taco but can't remember the street). We were able to sneak in there before we were 18)

The Library was on Main Street, south (I think) of the Trico plant and Freddie's Doughnuts.

The Library was owned by the Turgeon Brothers - they had several eateries at that time; I recall one they had in North Towanada, by the old locks - the Packet Inn.

You're right about the Turgeon Brothers at one time owning The Library...they had a small empire of eateries at one time. But the location of The Library (I don't know if it is still there) is on Bailey Avenue near the corner of Winspear. It is located on the east side of Bailey.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I miss all the food places mentioned. I also miss Wegman's and the open air farmers markets where can get tons of fresh fruits and veggies cheap. I miss sour cherries and concord grapes. I miss all the free concerts and festivals in the summer. I miss having Canada so close. I miss a city with stuff open late or open 24 hours. I amazed how New Egland rolls up the sidewalks at 9pm.

PTR

I don't miss winter drifting into April, and that's for sure.

Now I've got 100+ degree summer that sometimes goes from the end of May to the beginning of October.

nevada,arizona or maybe the central valley of ca

The boxing gym was Singer's which was run by my former trainer, the late Johnny Sudac. He died of an aneurysm back in the 90's...but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the pool hall.

Thanks, Singers Gym, and the pool hall was up a long flight of wooden stairs. Another piece of the puzzle...

OK here we go:

biggest thing: FALL - only have 3 seasons in NC and miss the crisp air and maple trees

George's Hot dogs

Aunt Rosie's

Tailgating at the Ralph

Sabres games with buddies

Street Hockey games (play goalie!)

Sahlen's

JP Fitzgeralds

Brick Bar w/ drinks served by Rob Ray

Late night Punch Out tourneys

Curly Fries and malt vinegar

Genny Pounders

Nino's Pizza

Now Pizza W/ J. Miller on the oven

Cappicola Subs

Gunther's (Hospital) Hill

Purposely sledding into the crowd walking up the hill at Chestnut Ridge

Mickey Rats

Eden Corn Festival

The Fair (RIP Lefty)

WNY High School Lax

Hamburg rivalry w/ OP even if we almost always lost

Stratomatic Football

Bills on Super Tecmo bowl

All the Hamburg folks moving to DC

The Pop Stop

WOW I'm getting old...

You're right about the Turgeon Brothers at one time owning The Library...they had a small empire of eateries at one time. But the location of The Library (I don't know if it is still there) is on Bailey Avenue near the corner of Winspear. It is located on the east side of Bailey.

Ah yes - on Bailey. Thanks.

How many Your Hosts' were there? I seem to recall their matchbooks saying there were 39.

There were a bunch of 'em on Delaware in N.Bflo/Kenmore.

Walking to the bowling alley.Reccio`s on south park in the late 60`s and bringing home the fish fry on friday as a kid. Nicks red hots on south park also . And yes those fish fry`s were wrapped in newspaper.. Oh and that dripping wet grease from the fries from Nicks ,just hoping to get home before the bottom of that bag gave out. <_<

dude you should feel lucky... you have ted's hot dogs in phonenix...id do anything for a ted's in jacksonville

I feel lucky because I have the Heart Attack Grill. Two pounds of great, greasy meat, slobbered up with cheese on the Quadruple Bypass burger. Fires fried in PURE lard. shots of tequila. Nurses in nano shorts. Ambulance out front.

Check it out:

heart attack grill