Two somewhat similar stories...why is one getting more attention?

The Poojer

granted there is probably more to each story than what we know, but I am seeing outcry over the Philly story, and not too much on the Akron story....heck even drudge removed the Akron story, while keeping 2 links to the Philly story up.....I imagine this will probably wind up on the PPP board, if it isnt there already, as I haven't ventured over there...if it is, my apologies...

Philly Swim Club store(updated version

Gang attacks Akron family(allegedly)

granted there is probably more to each story than what we know, but I am seeing outcry over the Philly story, and not too much on the Akron story....heck even drudge removed the Akron story, while keeping 2 links to the Philly story up.....I imagine this will probably wind up on the PPP board, if it isnt there already, as I haven't ventured over there...if it is, my apologies...

Sure is odd that the reporters never seem to highlight the fact that 3 separate camps (1 of which was primarily minority children) had paid to swim there. The club canceled ALL 3 camps and refunded their money after their members complained of overcrowding. Yet it is racism because 1 of the 3 camps was a group of minority children. How the f-ck is this even news?

Did we read the same two articles?

I dunno. I read one article about a non-event between two private parties that has somehow become a national story evoking cries of 'racism'. I read another story about a violent gang attack that has been ignored by the media and "is not being classified as a racial hate crime" by police.

What did you read?

The Philly swim club incident was on the ABC news last night.

But no mention of Akron.

Kinda like the James Bryd case (Texas man dragged to his death) and the Carr brothers massacre. For some odd reason, the media obsessed about one of those cases for months and never mentioned the other.

From the Akron article

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.

Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.

Kicking black kids out of a pool is racism, but this isn't a hate crime <_<

Give Al a break...its been rough on him, having to go tend to Farrah, Micheal, Billy, Karl, Philly so far...he probably got held up in traffic on his way to Akron....maybe he got a flat tire and he and Jesse can't get the jack to work.... <_<

where is al sharpton? thought he'd be in akron by now...

I dunno. I read one article about a non-event between two private parties that has somehow become a national story evoking cries of 'racism'. I read another story about a violent gang attack that has been ignored by the media and "is not being classified as a racial hate crime" by police.

What did you read?

Ok, point taken. I am just slow. :lol: I did read them both as racist, but missed the point about about the way the media played the stories.

Ok, point taken. I am just slow. :lol: I did read them both as racist, but missed the point about about the way the media played the stories.

Oh, we completely agree there. Racial motivations were clearly behind both instances. The hypocrisy of the media is the real story. And it's particularly galling here when only one of the cases involved an actual crime (and a violent one at that) and that's not the story being reported.

case in point...Steely posted links to the Philly story on PPP, yet I don't see the Akron story

You mean this thread started by VA Bills? Where approximately 8 people ignored your link to the Akron article after you posted it?

:lol:

Thanks for pointing that out. Did you even care about asking me what my opinion on that might be first?

Both are racist but the Akron thing is far, far worse. The kids, when caught, should be tried under the same hate crime laws that apply to everyone else.

If you've paid attention to my posts over the years you'd see I believe that hate crime laws should apply "to all" hate crimes and that all equality policies should apply to everyone too.

Thanks for singling me out without cause though. :ph34r:

Similar? You honestly think these stories are similar? Other than the accusation of some racial remarks in both stories, they couldn't be more different.

In Akron you are talking about a gang, or at least a group of thugs, committing violence. It is a crime story. Unfortunately, crime stories and gang violence are a dime-a-dozen.

In Philly, a legitimate and presumably law abiding private club, established in the community, may or may not be using racists (or at least "racial") criteria for allowing use of their facilities to outsiders (non-members). If true, this is an expose story of corruption/racism/intolerance in mainstream society.

I have heard of neither of these before this, and will withhold comment on the details at this time. But, they are two entirely different kinds of stories, similar in only one very superficial way.

dude, i wasn't signaling you out except to support my case that the philly story was getting uber coverage, which you are credited with starting a thread about here...i was not blasting you in any way of ignoring the other story....

You mean this thread started by VA Bills? Where approximately 8 people ignored your link to the Akron article after you posted it?

:lol:

Thanks for pointing that out. Did you even care about asking me what my opinion on that might be first?

Both are racist but the Akron thing is far, far worse. The kids, when caught, should be tried under the same hate crime laws that apply to everyone else.

If you've paid attention to my posts over the years you'd see I believe that hate crime laws should apply "to all" hate crimes and that all equality policies should apply to everyone too.

Thanks for singling me out without cause though. :ph34r:

please note i said 'somewhat', i figured people would get the gist of that, rather than me go on and explain that they are 2 stories where one specific group of people is allegedly singled out because of their race or skin color....allegedly....sorry my readers digest post did not convey my intent

Similar? You honestly think these stories are similar? Other than the accusation of some racial remarks in both stories, they couldn't be more different.

In Akron you are talking about a gang, or at least a group of thugs, committing violence. It is a crime story. Unfortunately, crime stories and gang violence are a dime-a-dozen.

In Philly, a legitimate and presumably law abiding private club, established in the community, may or may not be using racists (or at least "racial") criteria for allowing use of their facilities to outsiders (non-members). If true, this is an expose story of corruption/racism/intolerance in mainstream society.

I have heard of neither of these before this, and will withhold comment on the details at this time. But, they are two entirely different kinds of stories, similar in only one very superficial way.

and now that i look back it appears that all involved in this thread, save for one, did in fact get the gist of my intent....the fact that one group cries foul and it is all over the press....another group is allegedly attacked and the media and officials are hesitant to call it a 'hate crime'....see, the point was the double standards that are becoming all too common place....I can type slower if you need, as it appears you and i are having a hard time coming to a similar conclusion lately :lol:

please note i said 'somewhat', i figured people would get the gist of that, rather than me go on and explain that they are 2 stories where one specific group of people is allegedly singled out because of their race or skin color....allegedly....sorry my readers digest post did not convey my intent

dude, i wasn't signaling you out except to support my case that the philly story was getting uber coverage, which you are credited with starting a thread about here...i was not blasting you in any way of ignoring the other story....

The thread I linked was started by VA Bills.

To be honest, inviting 65 kids to a country club is just a horrible idea in the first place. Who wants to drop $5K/yr to belong to a country club when they let 65 kids bombard the pool? White or black, its a bad idea to start with.

I've golfed at the Philmont, which is right next to this, and have seen this pool. An influx of 65 kids would literally fill it because it isn't that big.

Bad idea by the club, and a situation that could have been easily avoided. To me, it seems that race wasn't the issue here (regardless of a few overheard, snide remarks by the members), it was the number of people.

Reminds me of some of teh Denny's"racism" cases years ago. In one, a bus full of black gospel singers said they were told to leave a Denny's.

Story was that they pulled into a Denny's at midnight. Some Denny's at the time would have no manager at night and only a cook and a waitress on duty from midnight-6AM on some weekday nights. he waitress said that if they wanted to eat there, ut would take at least an hour to serve everyone and if they wanted, they could go to one 5 miles down the highway which was fully staffed. They sued instead..

and now that i look back it appears that all involved in this thread, save for one, did in fact get the gist of my intent....the fact that one group cries foul and it is all over the press....another group is allegedly attacked and the media and officials are hesitant to call it a 'hate crime'....see, the point was the double standards that are becoming all too common place....I can type slower if you need, as it appears you and i are having a hard time coming to a similar conclusion lately :lol:

No matter how you want to word it, or twist it, the reason one story is getting play (if it is) and the other isn't (if it isn't) is primarily due to what I stated. Just because there is one surface element that they share, doesn't mean they are similar stories. If you really understood this, as you now claim, you wouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place.

Just sayin'...

dude, you need to friggin' relax...u appear to be taking things way too literally and seriously lately...sometime you have to just accept the implied intent and move on....like i am gonna do....again, sorry if i wasn't 100% crystal clear in my intention....

No matter how you want to word it, or twist it, the reason one story is getting play (if it is) and the other isn't (if it isn't) is primarily due to what I stated. Just because there is one surface element that they share, doesn't mean they are similar stories. If you really understood this, as you now claim, you wouldn't have needed to ask the question in the first place.

Just sayin'...