Anyone feel sorry for JP Losman?

major

He's not hated personally but he was hyped, was a 1st round pick and did not show any improvement in his time here. He was very frustrating to watch play. Maybe not as bad as Rob Johnson but he was approaching that level.

When was the last time a quarterback was taken in the first round by any team and there wasn't hype? Simple answer is never, it comes with the territory. His play was similar to Rob Johnson actually, tons of talent but couldn't cut out the mistakes. His attitude was worlds better than Johnson's though.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time a quarterback was taken in the first round by any team and there wasn't hype? Simple answer is never, it comes with the territory. His play was similar to Rob Johnson actually, tons of talent but couldn't cut out the mistakes. His attitude was worlds better than Johnson's though.

Understood. Didn't mean to imply being hyped was a factor. I just have a firm grasp of the obvious. Liked the guy but was frustrating to watch him play.

Does anyone feel sorry for JP Losman? Losman went through countless coaches and coordinators over the years, he was sacked way too many times (no o-line), etc... When he came in, I felt he exuded confidence. After his injuries and the coaching changes, he didn't exude that same swagger he had when we drafted him.

At any rate, I do feel sorry for the guy and hope he catches on with another team. On the flip side, I hope he learns how to release the ball quicker.

Actually I don't. JP is a professional and is expected to carry himself amidst what was happening in Buffalo. He gets paid big bucks for that. He did have a QB coach who was with him for his entire two seasons to learn the offense and work in that system and yet he failed other than throwing bombs to Lee Evans...In today's NFL you win by the Short game and JP could never master that.

Your right .I meant more about him as a QB. We were 7-9 with Losman starting in 2006 and have been 7-9 the last two years with easier schedules .I don't think Edwards is any better than Losman. Edwards had 14 starts last year with 4 teams with winning records, we lost all four games .He had 2 tds and 5 int. 11 sacks and 4 fumbles in those 4 games.

Good points. I like Trent Edwards just like I liked Losman, but Edwards hasn't really shown anything yet either, and his reign as the "Franchise" could soon be coming to an end too if he doesn't produce this year. At this point, I don't see where he has done any better than Losman has. He has played weaker schedules with the same results. If Losman hadn't gotten hurt on a cheap shot by Vince Wilfork (who got fined for it), Edwards might still be a #2 or #3 qb on ours or someone else's roster.

Understood. Didn't mean to imply being hyped was a factor. I just have a firm grasp of the obvious. Liked the guy but was frustrating to watch him play.

No doubt. But watching Edwards play the last two thirds of last season, was just as frustrating as watching Losman was.

Well, the Bills would have been 8-8-0 last season if not for Lost-man's complete inability to understand the Jets defense, pass rush, and what to do with the football while rolling out. I don't know if Trent Edwards is the answer or not. Let's face it, the Bills have been searching for Jim Kelly's replacement since 1997, and if Edwards craps out, the search will go on. But Lost-man sucks. He was a horrible draft pick, and I'm thankful they signed Fitzpatrick to rid themselves of him once and for all.

Yea,Losman looked bad againts the 9-7 Jets. What did Edwards do againts the Jet the first time we played them last year. Lets see,1 T.D. ,2 int. and was sack 5 times ,and also a fumble.He lost that fumble. We also lost that game. Edwards 2-6 in his last eight starts. The two teams he beat each had five wins last year. Maybe we were out coached againts the Jets.

Does anyone feel sorry for JP Losman? Losman went through countless coaches and coordinators over the years, he was sacked way too many times (no o-line), etc... When he came in, I felt he exuded confidence. After his injuries and the coaching changes, he didn't exude that same swagger he had when we drafted him.

At any rate, I do feel sorry for the guy and hope he catches on with another team. On the flip side, I hope he learns how to release the ball quicker.

Feel sorry for what?? The guy made millions of dollars even though he performed poorly most of the time and does not have the type of skill set that an NFL QB needs. No offense, but what other job can you get where you can't do the job well, but still make millions of dollars? I know if I performed as poorly as Losman did at my job, I would have gotten the boot a long time ago...

I don't. He had plenty of opportunity to prove himself, but what he proved is that he's a one read QB who can't on his own parse exotic looks, rendering him unable to run a no-huddle or react on the fly. This is why so many plays broke down so quickly. First read covered? Run! I can't count the number of times I slapped my forehead watching him panic when nobody was within six feet of him. He's a backup at best, really a 3rd guy. And the lack of interest in him speaks volumes to this.

That said, he's a good guy and I wish his football brains matched his athleticism. He'll play for someone, either in Canada or this new strange league that nobody will watch.

Feel sorry for what?? The guy made millions of dollars even though he performed poorly most of the time and does not have the type of skill set that an NFL QB needs. No offense, but what other job can you get where you can't do the job well, but still make millions of dollars? I know if I performed as poorly as Losman did at my job, I would have gotten the boot a long time ago...

President.

No doubt. But watching Edwards play the last two thirds of last season, was just as frustrating as watching Losman was.

Agreed. The problem with Edwards is he played so well and then just dropped off. Losman never really had a stretch of games where we could get excited about his play.

Agreed. The problem with Edwards is he played so well and then just dropped off. Losman never really had a stretch of games where we could get excited about his play.

JP's good stretches usually lasted a drive or two in games...

I am not sure Edwards is the answer either, but, I can tell you, the things that JP struggles with, 5 years into his pro career, are basics. He just doesn't seem to ever be in control of things. Edwards has some horrid performances (both guys have) but, at least so far, I like Edwards temperment better. In other words, I think he has room to improve, and his personality gives me more confidence that he will. I am just not sure that JP will get a lot better. All of the things he has been through in Buffalo, are not uncommon to most young QB's. He has always talked a good game, but never really delivered, and, in fact, failed more miserably the higher pressure the situation was. He had his chance, last season, to make us think twice, but came up very small...

Some can make it work, some cannot...don't discount the rookie year that JP had to sit on the bench, and learn, if he chose to. Edwards didn't have that luxury...he was thrown into the fire a week into his first season. Trent Edwards may not be a lot better than JP, after two NFL seasons, but he isn't any worse.

As has been said, over and over, JP seems like a hell of a good kid. But that does not mean he is a good QB. I think we have seen enough, at this point, to draw a reasonable conclusion that he isn't going to get a lot better.

No feeling sorry for JP he got to do what most of us would like to do. He got to strap it on for a pro team. No that kid got to live the dream. I wish him the longest possible life and good fortune. But I have no sympathy for him. He is a millionare now kicking it in Las Vegas, that is not tough. Well maybe a little Vegas will corrupt you, but what a good time you have on your way to being corrupted.

You might not, and you are certainly more than entitled to your opinion, but this places you virtually alone in the football community.

If Trent was out there as a UFA, it would have taken about 10 minutes to be signed by an NFL team, and I think 10 minutes might be a stretch. Maybe 10 seconds.

10 Minutes/10 Seconds what ever, that is more than it took the Bills to sign Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Actually I believe the first full year that Losman started, he was rated in the top half of the NFL QB's. He has all the talent in the world, it is just going to take a coach who can get inside his head and figure out the combination to unlock his football mental ability, if it exists.

Actually I believe the first full year that Losman started, he was rated in the top half of the NFL QB's. He has all the talent in the world, it is just going to take a coach who can get inside his head and figure out the combination to unlock his football mental ability, if it exists.

Fairchild did a far better job with Losman that most people ever gave him credit for.

Fact is, how many of us would be allowed to screw up or perform as badly as JPL did at his job at ours? I like the guy and was a big fan. I just get annoyed with the fan boys who make excuses for him. Hopefully, JPL realizes the problem was he wasn't good enough and works hard to try and get back in the league. I wish him no ill will.