Should The Super Bowl be played on a Saturday?

Every year right before the Super Bowl I always here of people complaining of how they have to go to school or work the next day. I than hear people saying well they should make the Monday after the Super Bowl a holiday so you can sleep in. I than offer the simplest solution why not play the game on a Saturday?

The typical answer I get is well its tradition Super Sunday, but the game use to be played in the afternoon some considered that a tradition. I think if its a unnecessary tradition than why not change it. They don't need the extra day because they get a week off in between.

If it makes the Super Bowl into an event where I can have more fun knowing I can stay up late without regretting the next day and hopefully when the Bills are playing in it celebrate the victory to my hearts desire. Its a win win, no one loses ; the game gets to us a day earlier and we can party harder. Kids don't have school the next day so they can stay up. You can start the game later so the West coast gets the game at a better time.

Do you guys feel the same way. Super Saturday.

"There's a lot of players across the league that wouldn't show up for a Saturday game. There are a number of other players that we had that didn't show up for the Super Bowl because unfortunately we didn't play in the game, although that certainly remains our goal. But nobody's asked me about them. It's not mandatory. It's a word we don't use at this point in our offseason program. If you set long term goals, you'll overlook the short term goals needed to get there.

We anticipate the Super Bowl will remain on Sunday. Historically, it has always been held on a Sunday. It's a part of the league's program that it be held on a Sunday. That's why they call it Superbowl Sunday. The NFL has a program that's been exceptional for as far as success.

The NFL has established the timing and terminology of the event, but none of that is happening right now. There's no on-field work. No classroom work. We have faith the league will continue with having the Super Bowl on Sundays."

Dick Jauron when asked whether the Super Bowl should be moved to Saturday.

"There's a lot of players across the league that wouldn't show up for a Saturday game. There are a number of other players that we had that didn't show up for the Super Bowl because unfortunately we didn't play in the game, although that certainly remains our goal. But nobody's asked me about them. It's not mandatory. It's a word we don't use at this point in our offseason program. If you set long term goals, you'll overlook the short term goals needed to get there.

We anticipate the Super Bowl will remain on Sunday. Historically, it has always been held on a Sunday. It's a part of the league's program that it be held on a Sunday. That's why they call it Superbowl Sunday. The NFL has a program that's been exceptional for as far as success.

The NFL has established the timing and terminology of the event, but none of that is happening right now. There's no on-field work. No classroom work. We have faith the league will continue with having the Super Bowl on Sundays."

Dick Jauron when asked whether the Super Bowl should be moved to Saturday.

Dick still realizes that Super Saturday still keeps the whole illeration thing with the letter S. The league says screw tradition all the time. Didn't the league recently allow corporate logos on practice jerseys and team logos on lottery tickets.

Dick still realizes that Super Saturday still keeps the whole illeration thing with the letter S. The league says screw tradition all the time. Didn't the league recently allow corporate logos on practice jerseys and team logos on lottery tickets.

"As far as league traditions, the only thing I'll promise to do is everything I can to fulfill my obligation to bring a winning team back to Buffalo. There's a great tradition here, we know the fans are very passionate and it's something we're very passionate about. If the league is intent on screwing tradition then that's really something for Mr. Wilson to voice his concerns about. Honestly it's not an issue for the coaching staff or our football department. As head coach I'm limited in my scope on certain issues, certainly things like lottery sponsorships or practice jersey sponsorships. I've learned that over the years. There's a number of things I learned. In 2001, we were criticized for changing our parking policies in Chicago. When we increased concession prices two years ago we were criticized for that. So what I learned is you'd better win. When you win, you're pretty smart. When you don't, you're not."

Dick Jauron when asked how he feels about the league's new policies and how they affect tradition.

Every year right before the Super Bowl I always here of people complaining of how they have to go to school or work the next day. I than hear people saying well they should make the Monday after the Super Bowl a holiday so you can sleep in. I than offer the simplest solution why not play the game on a Saturday?

Maybe I just do not get out enough but I have never heard anyone say any of this. Personally I could care less whether it is played on a Saturday or a Sunday. I just want the Bills to finally win one (or more).

Maybe I just do not get out enough but I have never heard anyone say any of this. Personally I could care less whether it is played on a Saturday or a Sunday. I just want the Bills to finally win one (or more).

Every day after the Super Bowl in high school I had to hear so many people moan about how it sucked that they had to go to school the next day. They would either be Super tired because they said screw it and stayed out late or super pissed because they were smart and didn't. But suggest the game be played on Saturday and I would get looked at like I had three heads.

Even now I hear people complain about the day after the superbowl.

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But the bean counters at the networks will NEVER move the SB to Saturday. It's all about maximizing viewership and the Sunday night time slot gives them the most viewers. The advertisers demand it.

GO BILLS!!!

I hear what you're saying and don't disagree. But the bean counters at the networks will NEVER move the SB to Saturday. It's all about maximizing viewership and the Sunday night time slot gives them the most viewers. The advertisers demand it.

The superbowl will always get max viewership regardless of the day of the week it is on. But the networks would probably rather pre-empt their Sunday programming rather than their Saturday.

The other reason I feel it won't move to Saturday is pure and simple economics. The host city wants all the visitors to spend an extra night in their hotel rooms and spend their money an extra day in all the local shops and restaurants.

Every day after the Super Bowl in high school I had to hear so many people moan about how it sucked that they had to go to school the next day. They would either be Super tired because they said screw it and stayed out late or super pissed because they were smart and didn't. But suggest the game be played on Saturday and I would get looked at like I had three heads.

Even now I hear people complain about the day after the superbowl.

HS Kids :thumbsup::beer: they tend to stay up late anyway ....

The superbowl will always get max viewership regardless of the day of the week it is on. But the networks would probably rather pre-empt their Sunday programming rather than their Saturday.

The other reason I feel it won't move to Saturday is pure and simple economics. The host city wants all the visitors to spend an extra night in their hotel rooms and spend their money an extra day in all the local shops and restaurants.

Why wouldn't they stay on Sunday and leave on Monday? also what makes them more likely to stay on Monday? Good point never thought of that.

Good points all around.

GO BILLS!!!

Can't we be left alone with our traditional Super Sunday? I just hate the way some people try to commercialize it.

Well you have to look at why a tradition is a tradition. In this case there isn't any real reason. There also isn't anyone who would be at all inconvenienced by a switch to a day earlier. It allows people to go out without having to skip work/school or be late to school/work the next day. It also makes the West Coast have the game a little later. It also makes it so that the home towns of the teams playing don't have to cancel school for no reason the next day. It also turns the Super Bowl into an all out party to end football season without worrying about the next day.

It just makes sense to do it. Everyone wins. If you can improve on a tradition than why not. No one is complaining that baseball fields have lights.

Why wouldn't they stay on Sunday and leave on Monday? also what makes them more likely to stay on Monday? Good point never thought of that.

These were my itineraries during the Super Bowl years:

Tampa Bay-Arrived in Orlando Thursday night, drove to Tampa/St Petersburg Friday, drove back to Orlando Monday, flew home Tuesday morning.

Minnesota-Arrived in Minneapolis Friday, left Monday (Travel USA)

Pasadena-Arrived in LA Saturday morning, left Tuesday

Atlanta-Arrived in Atlanta Friday, left Monday (Travel USA)

As you can see, the 2 times I used an agency it was Fri-Mon. The ideal situation is to have the day before the game to sightsee the town the game is played in. There are also things like our jobs & getting time off for those who work. It is a lot more convienient to get in Friday & spend Saturday around town than getting in Friday knowing the game is the next day. When we went to LA, we spent Saturday at Disneyland & did the rest of LA on Monday.

The typical answer I get is well its tradition Super Sunday, but the game use to be played in the afternoon some considered that a tradition. I think if its a unnecessary tradition than why not change it. They don't need the extra day because they get a week off in between.

If it makes the Super Bowl into an event where I can have more fun knowing I can stay up late without regretting the next day and hopefully when the Bills are playing in it celebrate the victory to my hearts desire. Its a win win, no one loses ; the game gets to us a day earlier and we can party harder. Kids don't have school the next day so they can stay up. You can start the game later so the West coast gets the game at a better time.

I feel traditions are meant to be broken for the betterment of something. In this case the NFL. Here is a few things I propose.

Defiinitely move the Super Bowl to Saturday. More people will go out to watch it...in turn more money for businesses etc...

Monday night games....why not play 2... East Coast games at a 7 PM Start, East Coast time, and West coast, 7 PM West Coast time. I think thats a win win for everyone.

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

That woud be a nice... later night to celebrate!

If the league goes to an 18 game schedule, maybe the NFL could move the Super Bowl to the Sunday before MLK holiday. It would allow the host city to keep the full 3-4 day events, the networks keep their programming schedules intact, and many of the fans have the Monday off. I'd love it if they could work it out, otherwise, move it to Saturday, I laways have a SB hangover.

If the league goes to an 18 game schedule, maybe the NFL could move the Super Bowl to the Sunday before MLK holiday. It would allow the host city to keep the full 3-4 day events, the networks keep their programming schedules intact, and many of the fans have the Monday off. I'd love it if they could work it out, otherwise, move it to Saturday, I laways have a SB hangover.

The Martin Luther King Bowl. What a great idea!

I just graduated from college, and we had Super Saturdays all the time. Just drink beer during the day, simple as that. But I have always wondered as to why the game was not played on Sat. I have yet to hear/read one good reason for keeping it on a Sunday. Once the college season is over the NFL starts playign games on Sat anyways. The playoffs have always had games on Sun and Sat. Move it to Sat.

If the league goes to an 18 game schedule, maybe the NFL could move the Super Bowl to the Sunday before MLK holiday.

Well, apart from actually moving the game up 2 weeks to be played in Mid-January thereby eliminating all playoffs and allowing the league to perpetually nominate New England and New York to play each other, that'd be a great idea.

I think you mean President's Day which is in February.

Another hot button issue for me. Thanks for bringing it up.

Yes, it should be a Saturday night event.

Back in the day (70's & 80's), when kickoff occured sometime before 4pm, we used to gather for great superbowl parties. Sometime in the late 80's or early 90's, the powers that be got the brilliant idea to make it a later, Sunday night game.

With the late start and extended halftime extravaganza, the games go on past 10pm EST. C'mon - it's Sunday night. That's the time we traditionally wind down the weekend and get psychologically geared towards Monday morning and anticipation of heading back to the old grind. Unless the home team is involved, a huge portion of fans east of the mississippi aren't bothering to attend or host superbowl parties anymore. The last superbowl party I attended involved the Rams and Titans.

Maybe it can be partially attributed to just getting older, but if the game were in the afternoon, or on Saturday night, I'd be there. I'd love to celebrate with other fans, but I don't want to be getting home at 11pm on Sunday night.

Hooray for the west coasters who get the game started at 3:40! Y'know - the folks who can barely support any team. L.A. - former home to 3 current NFL teams.

Anyway, I'm with you. But, it'll never happen. As previously stated, it all comes down to money, and in this case, the host cities would lose big if everyone checked out on Sunday. On the other hand, maybe a lot of them would check in a day earlier. Who knows?

Now, if they could just do something about those stupid halftime shows that are tailored for the viewer who doesn't know what "1st and goal" means.

Well, apart from actually moving the game up 2 weeks to be played in Mid-January thereby eliminating all playoffs and allowing the league to perpetually nominate New England and New York to play each other, that'd be a great idea.

I think you mean President's Day which is in February.

:rolleyes:

I feel traditions are meant to be broken for the betterment of something. In this case the NFL. Here is a few things I propose.

Defiinitely move the Super Bowl to Saturday. More people will go out to watch it...in turn more money for businesses etc...

Monday night games....why not play 2... East Coast games at a 7 PM Start, East Coast time, and West coast, 7 PM West Coast time. I think thats a win win for everyone.

Whats everyone elses thoughts on this?

I think part of what has made the NFL the "king" amongst pro sports legues, is that they have been careful, over the years, not to oversaturate their product. They are bordering pretty close to oversaturation now, with 6 Thursday night games, multiple Saturday night games, a Sunday night game, in addition to the regular Sunday afternoon and Monday night games. And then, there is a significant portion of the country that loves college football. Too much of a good thing, can be bad. I don't mind them doing an oepneing week Monday Night double-header, but every week would just be silly. The more night games they have, the less valuable those tv contracts will become, to the NFL.

Well you have to look at why a tradition is a tradition. In this case there isn't any real reason. There also isn't anyone who would be at all inconvenienced by a switch to a day earlier. It allows people to go out without having to skip work/school or be late to school/work the next day. It also makes the West Coast have the game a little later. It also makes it so that the home towns of the teams playing don't have to cancel school for no reason the next day. It also turns the Super Bowl into an all out party to end football season without worrying about the next day.

It just makes sense to do it. Everyone wins. If you can improve on a tradition than why not. No one is complaining that baseball fields have lights.

Um . . . it was a joke.

There already ain't nothin' in the world more commercial than the Super Bowl. Which is why it was moved to February: that's a sweeps month for television. If TV wanted it in January the season would start in August.