Nine Bills Who Could Have A "Breakout" Season

H2o

I wrote a post maybe a week or two ago about predicting wins/losses, defense/offense rankings - maybe four catagories, but what led me to think about it was that we who post here follow football pretty closely, and it'd be neat to see how accurate we diagnose teams improvements, etc. I think if you follow all the reporters, many ex coaches and players, on the major networks, you'll get as many variations of opinions as you'd get here. Some are much closer to the reality of how things pan out than others, but overall - and especially on win/loss, they're not much better than most the guys I talk football with.

Yeah, this might be decent analysis, but the source isn't any more authoritative than a post on here. He's not an expert or anything.

True, then again many experts aren't experts. The guy isn't saying anything ridiculous, even if he's being a little too optimistic about some of the guys.

One guy I'll certainly be keeping my eyes on is McCargo. Sure, he was a gigantic reach for the first round and he's been a bust to boot, but he still has the physical talent to be a starter. Kyle Williams has been decent, but I wouldn't say he has the starting role on lockdown. If McCargo finally commits himself to his job, who knows?

Pretty well-written.

His optics are clearly rose-colored. He uses a lot of "He will" and "He is" rather than "he might" or "he could." To me, it makes it sound like he thinks he knows what will happen, and seriously lowers his credibility.

McCargo would have the greatest impact on the defense, and the team, if he came to the forefront as a GOOD starter to go along with Stroud. They would make us the stout team against the run that we need to be. It would also take more focus off the DE's to be freed up in the pass rush. I hope some one steps up at the WLB position. We REALLY need someone to breakout at that spot and I don't care who it is. Hopefully Ellison has been on the "Barry Bonds Nutritional Pack" all offseason long or something because, if McCargo busts loose this year, that LB spot will be the only weak position we have left, IMO.

1. Trent Edwards - I agree. I think he'll put it all together this year. The only question is can he survive until the O-Line gels?

2. Steve Johnson - I agree. I can see him moving ahead of Reed on the depth chart.

3. Marshawn Lynch - Not sure. He hasn't been that bad in the past so what does a "breakout" season mean for him? A three game rest might be good for him if the Bills make the playoffs.

4. John McCargo - I'll run nude across The Ralph's field if he moves to number one on the depth chart next to Stroud and plays above average.(If you saw me you might actually want him to fail. ;) )

5. Derek Fine - Not sure. He didn't show enough to me last year to consider him having a breakout year.

6. Fred Jackson - I think he'll be a lot better but he won't supplant Lynch on the depth chart after the fourth game.

7. Leodis McKelvin - I agree. He was brought along perfectly last year, IMO. So I think he'll get better and better as the season progresses.

8. Reggie Corner - Will be the nickel back and will become the starter next year if McGee prices himself out of Buffalo.

9. Demetrius Bell - Not sure. I'd love to see Bell break out. If he could start the season at LT then the Bills would have a great young line. It is kind of scary to see all of the new talent on the line but I'd rather they stick to one lineup to give them all time working together. I doubt he'll be starting LT this year because that many rookies on the OL may be a little too much.

JMO

he broke out a long time ago. then sean taylor (RIP) put him back in his cage. time for him to break out again

Am I missing something about how that affects Moorman? :wallbash:

I wrote a post maybe a week or two ago about predicting wins/losses, defense/offense rankings - maybe four catagories, but what led me to think about it was that we who post here follow football pretty closely, and it'd be neat to see how accurate we diagnose teams improvements, etc. I think if you follow all the reporters, many ex coaches and players, on the major networks, you'll get as many variations of opinions as you'd get here. Some are much closer to the reality of how things pan out than others, but overall - and especially on win/loss, they're not much better than most the guys I talk football with.

Agreed.

8. Reggie Corner - Will be the nickel back and will become the starter next year if McGee prices himself out of Buffalo.

I hope McGee isn't gone next year, because that means we'll be drafting 3 more DBs next year. You know it takes 3 DBs to replace 1 in Dick's mind. (You knew a post like this was coming I just wanted to be the first.) :wallbash:

Nothing to see here, Folks. Move along..

It would be great if Bell can man the takle spot, but otherwise we're all hoping/expecting Stevie J, McCargo, McKelvin, Corner and Trent to deliver. As for Fine/Schouman, given the uncertainty on the OL, we'll likely need additional blocking there. A TE who is a pass-catching threat will probably remain a wet dream for this team at least into the 2010 season..